• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of War Nemesis Stories

Shadow-of-War-Orco-y-Talon.jpg

Welcome to the Shadow of War nemesis stories thread! The origin of this thread was reading the amazingly fun and well written stories from other gaffers in the OT. I thought it would be a fun idea to create a place for everyone to JUST share their nemesis stories.

What this thread IS for
Simple:pooling all of the Nemesis stories in one place for those, like myself, who enjoy reading these things

What does NOT belong in this thread
Also Simple Everything else No plot spoilers, no general game discussion, if it isn't a story to do with the Nemesis system OR commenting on someone else's story it doesn't belong here and goes here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445564 the Shadow of War OT by Shux

All that being said, Stay Awhile and List (and also share!)

A story worth telling but long.

The first captain I branded was a legendary who had the ability to summon a graug and always had a pack of caragors with him. So of course the game had me make him my bodyguard. Which I did. i ran around until level 20 but he was still level 14 so I decided to take him off as my bodyguard and send him on a mission to level him. When the mission starts the orcs talk as if they know each other (there was nothing in either orcs stats saying they would). Mug (my orc) kills his friend but then betrays me. Thus setting off a chain of events 3 hours long. I was super angry that my favorite orc who had a small army had betrayed me so I went after him. When i do find him, I quickly realize he has Iron will so he couldn't be dominated again. Our first encounter I beat him, shame him and get lucky that his Iron Will was lost. That put him to level 16. I find him on the map and go after him again, when I get there suddenly he's level 22! (I'm 21) I carefully engage so I can shame him, to get his level lower and dominate him again. But the graug killed me, boosting him to 23.

After that I change my approach. I find 2 orc followers who have beast slayer AND take less damage from beasts (thinking I can pull Mug away and let the orcs wreck the caras and the graug.) but the ones I did were lower level so I set them up for some missions. The first one goes off without a hitch, the second surprised me. I send a level 14 follower, with some level 21 backup to kill another level 14 orc. Halfway through the battle Mug shows himself! The battle was insane, there were summoned things EVERYWHERE but when the smoke cleared I rebranded Mug getting my OG bodyguard back.

But during the time from him betraying me, to rebranding him. His armor changed, his suffix changed (from beast something to unashamed) it was one of the funnest things I've done in a videogame in a long long time. An emotional rollercoaster that was 100% unscripted and happened because the nemesis system is just that good!

nynt9

I was fighting some named orc and I was doing pretty well, but then this black skinned orc named black blade who's a legendary ambushes me. He's also quite higher level than I am. I struggle real hard and kill him using all I've got, but he turns out to be death defying and gets back up! At this point I've already used my one free revive so I'm being cautious, and then some random archer just potshots me and kills me, getting an upgrade.

I hunt him down to kill him, but he's immune to a lot of stuff and he never is alone - he hangs out with at least one other captain. I get him down, but he also has death defying! He also has an ability that lets him insta-kill me without a chance to go into the revive QTE. I die to him like 5 times in a row because he is always in a huge crowd and I always get ambushed by at least one more captain, bringing the count to like 3, and he always gets me with his lucky shot.

Finally, I upgrade my gear and go after him, and really aggressively target him. He does his death defying thing, I beat him again. Just as I think I got theast blow in, something that I haven't seen before happens, he does a real fast QTE which I fail, then he escapes and disappears immediately. He spawns elsewhere in the map with full health. At this point I'm super pissed, I go in to get him again, but at this point he's adapted to so many of my attacks that I can barely get a hit in, and he kills me with his insta kill move.

One day I'll get him. Fucker.

I was fighting some named orc and I was doing pretty well, but then this black skinned orc named black blade who's a legendary ambushes me. He's also quite higher level than I am. I struggle real hard and kill him using all I've got, but he turns out to be death defying and gets back up! At this point I've already used my one free revive so I'm being cautious, and then some random archer just potshots me and kills me, getting an upgrade.

I hunt him down to kill him, but he's immune to a lot of stuff and he never is alone - he hangs out with at least one other captain. I get him down, but he also has death defying! He also has an ability that lets him insta-kill me without a chance to go into the revive QTE. I die to him like 5 times in a row because he is always in a huge crowd and I always get ambushed by at least one more captain, bringing the count to like 3, and he always gets me with his lucky shot.

Finally, I upgrade my gear and go after him, and really aggressively target him. He does his death defying thing, I beat him again. Just as I think I got theast blow in, something that I haven't seen before happens, he does a real fast QTE which I fail, then he escapes and disappears immediately. He spawns elsewhere in the map with full health. At this point I'm super pissed, I go in to get him again, but at this point he's adapted to so many of my attacks that I can barely get a hit in, and he kills me with his insta kill move.

Love the story mate! Thanks for sharing. Exactly the reason i made this to get to read these amazing stories (I do apologize for taking pleasure in your multiple deaths though.)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dont have the game yet but I've been lurking the OT reading about people's Nemesis stories so a thread just for it is a good idea.

Found some elite orc with a mandolin....sat there and sung a song about killing me for around a minute....right your fucked now....orc glitched and fell off side of building

LycanXIII

I had Black-Blade and his blood brother Maggot-Nest. Took me a couple tries, but I eventually got them both.

That video was hilarious! I haven't had any orcs who say crazy stuff as of yet. But I did run into a bard who sang a song. He almost killed me. Kind of wish I had let him to see what happened and the songs he can write.

Ravelle

Not really unique from what I've heard but I loved this one orc I kept killing, first returned with a terminator skull, the second time I chopped off his arm and leg he got back with a metal peg leg and a metal arm and got himself a Dire Caragor.
iUAKIDa.jpg
[

Not really unique from what I've heard but I loved this one orc I kept killing, first returned with a terminator skull, the second time I chopped off his arm and leg he got back with a metal peg leg and a metal arm and got himself a Dire Caragor.
iUAKIDa.jpg
[

Super cool!

Update to my story. After conquering the fortress I was able to pick my warchief and of course I picked Mug! That guy and I have been through hell together. We loved, hated, fought and killed each other and yet he was my very first domination so it was only fitting! Mug the unashamed as overlord. Very cool post script to one of my favorite videogame memories in 30 years!

Quoting myself from the OT.

Those Orcs are amazing!!

There was an orc titled I think "The Unmovable" he kept defying death. Ever time I finish him gets back up and kills me. Then he was titled "The Unkillable", I couldn't kill him so I shamed him and his title changed to "The Unashamed" then he still killed me and was like "You shamed me and I still killed you. What does that make you?" lol! He's getting on my nerves!

I also died to one and he took my sword and broke it in half! WTH! I didn't have another sword so I had to fight him with my original low level sword.

I keep running into this dude named "Grogg The Lookout" and all he does is say "LOOKOUT!" but in different inflections. It's the funniest fucking thing.

"Look out.....Lookout.....LOOK OUT!"

Only played the game for less then an hour so I have no real stories as of yet (although I did defeat my 2nd leader by throwing him off a cliff 1 second after he had a long winded monologue about how tough he was, which was great). But I’m still enjoying all the stuff people are posting. Mug sounds like a bit of a legend.

Only played the game for less then an hour so I have no real stories as of yet (although I did defeat my 2nd leader by throwing him off a cliff 1 second after he had a long winded monologue about how tough he was, which was great). But I’m still enjoying all the stuff people are posting. Mug sounds like a bit of a legend.

In my own mind man he is. He and I had been through so much. I think about other characters in games I've spent 5 to 8 hours with and none of them were the rollercoaster ride I've had with mug. Enemy, friend, bodyguard/brother, enemy, nemesis, friend again, and now overlord. When the time comes and he does die (because it will happen eventually) it will be a serious blow and I'll have to walk away from the game for a couple of hours.

Käebi

These stories sound so cool. I want to play Shadow of Mordor first, was the Nemesis System in the first game already as fun?

Käebi;251785445 said:
These stories sound so cool. I want to play Shadow of Mordor first, was the Nemesis System in the first game already as fun?

2 things. One I'm glad you are enjoying them! The reason I started the thread.

Two. The nemesis system in shadow of mordor was good. But it wasn't quite as indepth. There are more than a few things I've seen so far in this one that just wasn't in shadow of mordor. Honestly I would watch a YouTube video for the story and then play this one. It's amazing! But if you do play either of them and have a cool story post it!!

Ravelle

I keep running into this dude named "Grogg The Lookout" and all he does is say "LOOKOUT!" but in different inflections. It's the funniest fucking thing.

"Look out.....Lookout.....LOOK OUT!"

I had a mission about an Orc called Something-The Knower or something, he was about to get executed by another orc.

His last words were 'I KNEW IT!" hahaha.

Another story!

I decided to level my forces up to 25 before leaving the area, so as I'm screwing around doing that an Olag-hai appears. A rather nasty one with poison weapon, a caragor pack and beast slayer. Ar-Benu the Green Blood. He looked super cool and had some awesome perks so I decided I needed this guy. I fight around and get him branded, once branded I start leveling him up. I get him ALMOST to 25 when he betrays me! Thinking. Oh no...here we go again with another Mug I set out to give it one shot. Benu gets tracked down and shamed, but when I shame him, it makes him deranged! His name changes to Ar-Benu the Ruined and now he just kind of grunts and makes weird noises instead of talking. I got him rebranded after one attempt. He's been super loyal thus far but watching him fight is hilarious. He just runs around like a lunatic smashing anything and everything in sight except me and my other captains (even his own orc followers aren't safe). I sent him to the pits and he 2 shotted his opponent before ripping his head off. Needless to say Ar-Benu is a valuable member of my army and my go to "Enemy captain is vulnerable to poison" guy

Played for a few hours last night. Got killed by an orc, and I got my revenge a few minutes later. 20 minutes later he comes back asking for more. I kill him by fire. 20 minutes later he comes back bandaged. I cleave him in two. He comes back again and mentions the cleaving didn't work. I decapitate him.

All throughout my game before I took my first fort, there was an orc in the background of multiple encounters and events named Shak the Shield. While he never killed me, he slowly gained power and got stronger and stronger. When I finally set my sights on him, he was too high level so I shamed him to a lower one. When I went to retrieve him he looked completely different and was called Shak the Unshamed. Off screen he found and cultivated inner strength and decided that he wouldn’t let anyone label or shame him for he was proud of who he was. He proceeded to kick my ass and become war chief. I had to slowly but surely work my orcs in to be his bodyguards so they could betray him. I respect that orc he died a free man, proud of who he was.

hbkdx12

This is a long story about an experience i had at the pit.

So i've ironed out my strategy in terms of how i progress through the game and after i take over a fortress, i use the newly opened pit to bring up all my captains to my level before leaving for the next region. So i send one guy in for a fight and he gets killed so i go into the pit to now take control of the guy who won and his name is Ar-Baruk the [something] (didn't really give it much thought to pay attention to it before the fight) and when i attack him he has his intro and his name changes to Ar-Baruk the Pit Fighter and he says that he used to be the 34th best pit fighter in morder but he's since killed 32 other pit fighters, he's going to kill me and then go looking for the 33rd pit fighter. I chuckled a bit. I proceed to dominant him and he runs off after i tell him to retreat. Normal stuff, no big deal.

I then open the army screen and he's not on it (he was a big olog so he'd be hard to miss) and im sort of confused and then i just laugh to myself thinking "well i guess he was serious about going to find the 33rd pit fighter lol" and assumed that maybe i would come across him in maybe a different region or something where he acts as a savior when i get downed on my last chance.

So i send another guy into the pit and he loses so naturally i go to dominant the winner and then Ar-Baruk jumps down into the pit. It wasn't a cinematic that announced his presence or anything, he just basically jumped from the top of the pit like any other uruk would and he starts attacking the guy who won. So im super amped because i didn't even know where he came from and now i'm REALLY thinking there's something to what he said about wanting to kill the other top pit fighter so im standing back hoping that he kills him to see if anything happens but another friendly uruk killed him. (Boooo :p) So it turns out that Ar-Baruk just sits on the top platform of the pit and again, he's still not on my army screen and i can't command him to do anything. Dude is serious about his pit fighting lol

Part 2 (the good part)

So, i send another guy into the pit to fight and he loses. I decide kill the winner because he's 2 levels higher than me. So i go into the pit (Ar-Baruk jumps down as well) and then 2 of my captains walk into the pit with another uruk as a hostage (hands tied behind his back with a blade to his throat) My captain who has the blade to the uruks throat says that he's tired of being controlled and doesn't plan to take any direction like the chump here (referencing the uruk he has hostage) Then it gets labeled as a betrayal. It shifts to the other captain that was with him and he says something similiar and it shifts to a betrayal as well. Both of these this captains were a lot lower leveled than me (low 20s) The first captain proceeds to slice the throat of the hostage and then i see a bleed out indicator meaning that he's actually one of my other captains! So i move toward him to get the revive and it cuts to ANOTHER captain of mine who jumps into the pit and he betrays me as well but it's labeled as an ambush. So now i have 3 captains who've betrayed me and the level 34 winner from the pit fight all in the pit with me, Ar-Baruk and the captain that i managed to revive. I killed them all (Ar-Baruk still didn't get a kill :( ) and that was pretty much the end of it

Pretty anticlimatic ending all things considered but i thought the whole thing was pretty awesome as it played out and now my goal is to get Ar-Baruk a kill and see if that does anything

This is a long story about an experience i had at the pit.

So i've ironed out my strategy in terms of how i progress through the game and after i take over a fortress, i use the newly opened pit to bring up all my captains to my level before leaving for the next region. So i send one guy in for a fight and he gets killed so i go into the pit to now take control of the guy who won and his name is Ar-Baruk the [something] (didn't really give it much thought to pay attention to it before the fight) and when i attack him he has his intro and his name changes to Ar-Baruk the Pit Fighter and he says that he used to be the 34th best pit fighter in morder but he's since killed 32 other pit fighters, he's going to kill me and then go looking for the 33rd pit fighter. I chuckled a bit. I proceed to dominant him and he runs off after i tell him to retreat. Normal stuff, no big deal.

I then open the army screen and he's not on it (he was a big olog so he'd be hard to miss) and im sort of confused and then i just laugh to myself thinking "well i guess he was serious about going to find the 33rd pit fighter lol" and assumed that maybe i would come across him in maybe a different region or something where he acts as a savior when i get downed on my last chance.

So i send another guy into the pit and he loses so naturally i go to dominant the winner and then Ar-Baruk jumps down into the pit. It wasn't a cinematic that announced his presence or anything, he just basically jumped from the top of the pit like any other uruk would and he starts attacking the guy who won. So im super amped because i didn't even know where he came from and now i'm REALLY thinking there's something to what he said about wanting to kill the other top pit fighter so im standing back hoping that he kills him to see if anything happens but another friendly uruk killed him. (Boooo :p) So it turns out that Ar-Baruk just sits on the top platform of the pit and again, he's still not on my army screen and i can't command him to do anything. Dude is serious about his pit fighting lol

Part 2 (the good part)

So, i send another guy into the pit to fight and he loses. I decide kill the winner because he's 2 levels higher than me. So i go into the pit (Ar-Baruk jumps down as well) and then 2 of my captains walk into the pit with another uruk as a hostage (hands tied behind his back with a blade to his throat) My captain who has the blade to the uruks throat says that he's tired of being controlled and doesn't plan to take any direction like the chump here (referencing the uruk he has hostage) Then it gets labeled as a betrayal. It shifts to the other captain that was with him and he says something similiar and it shifts to a betrayal as well. Both of these this captains were a lot lower leveled than me (low 20s) The first captain proceeds to slice the throat of the hostage and then i see a bleed out indicator meaning that he's actually one of my other captains! So i move toward him to get the revive and it cuts to ANOTHER captain of mine who jumps into the pit and he betrays me as well but it's labeled as an ambush. So now i have 3 captains who've betrayed me and the level 34 winner from the pit fight all in the pit with me, Ar-Baruk and the captain that i managed to revive. I killed them all (Ar-Baruk still didn't get a kill :( ) and that was pretty much the end of it

Pretty anticlimatic ending all things considered but i thought the whole thing was pretty awesome as it played out and now my goal is to get Ar-Baruk a kill and see if that does anything

This reads like a Stephen King based movie. Great lead up and middle but ending was a bit weak. BUT I would argue that's part of what makes this system good. Things don't always break your way. Sometimes, just like in the real world shit don't work out! Thank you so much for writing all that up!!

I am starting to see how you are developing all these nemesis attachments to these orcs. I recently made an attempt on a leaders life and during the battle an assassin showed up called Morug the Dark Hunter. Damned guy kept throwing spears at me, forcing me to flee and abandon the attempt. I was late fighting a different orc and Morug showed up again and not only mocked me for being easy to find,he also mocked me for running away. Luckily I was able to finish off the original target this time but Morug got away, next time we meet I am determined to put him in the ground.

bobikus

Neo Member
I was sneaking into a fortress to kill one of the two warchiefs? (I think, not the overlord but the ones under)

Im circling around the outside mind controlling everyone I can in full stealth, next thing I know the camera spins and an orc general is there with another one of my orcs hostage, he is betraying me and slits the orcs throat.

I manage to save the Orc that was bleeding out but while I was doing it, the betrayer blew on the horn alerting the enemies in the fort I was there and set off the alarm, .... Great.

I manage to beat him down and kill him as he was Iron Willed and mind control wouldn't work again, but by this point the warchief and his 2 body guards had shown up. I start to fight the 3 of them when another Orc shows up, one of my favourite orcs up until then. It turns out he was Blood Brothers with one of the bodyguards.

At this point I am completely overwhelmed and decide to run away blasting explosive barrels to do as much damage as I can, I manage to kill the blood brother bodyguard but Im still on the back foot. The War-chief catches up and knocks me down. He has the ability that means you don't get the survival QTE, Uh Oh.

Wait.

Camera cuts, an orc I attacked and shamed around 4 times to lower his level and get him in my army appears, armed with a cross bow, shoots the Warchief in the head instantly killing him and saving my life, then disappears into the nether.

I had won!... Except the orc that betrayed me for attacking his blood brother them came out and smacked me to death becoming the new war-chief.

I decided since he betrayed me, he had to suffer. I got my strongest orcs to infiltrate him and become his bodyguards and set up a betrayal mission so he would know I felt.

His dying words were "I have a blood brother! He will avenge me!" Too late bro, hes already dead.

Red

I had no interest in this game until this thread. What they’ve done with the nemesis system sounds incredible. The moaner video is one of the funniest things I’ve seen. The team behind this must have had a great sense of humor. How many unique orcs are there?

EvB

So, I had an Orc Captain called Dush come after me (pronounced Douche), I've been helping him climb up the ranks and sending him death threats, he has become a big problem.

TikeMyson

Don't remember the exact name of the Orc Captain, but he was nothing special. No special abilities, no special look, so I just wanted to kill him. As I beat him and he was on the ground ready to get executed he went crazy and escaped. From now on he was known as the [orc name] the crazy and instead of talking he was just laughing like a madman (what he really was). I thought that was so awesome, on our next encounter I had to recruit him for my army.

A bit later I found another orc: [orc name] the screamer. And, as you can tell, he was only screaming like crazy. I thought "hey, a crazy laughing orc and a crazy screaming orc... sound great to have them both in my army!". So I recruited him too.

Later on I wanted to kill another Orc Captain. As soon as I attacked him the crazy one appeared. No, not the help me... he was the blood brother of the one I just attacked. So I fought them both. It didn't take long some other orc of my army showed up during the fight: He betrayed and attacked me. As soon as I attacked him the screaming one popped up because he was the blood brother of the one who just betrayed me.
So I had this weird fight against 1 new orc, 1 orc who betrayed me and 2 orc that took revenge because of some blood brother shit.

I love the Nemesis system :)

Tizoc

Flogg lived a hard life.

I don't got any interesting stories, but Bruz magically popping up to teach you stuff whenever you recruit a new ally is hilarious.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So I went to a mission trying to kill a captain so i could level up a bit and noticed there was another captain, a sniper, who was about to be executed that i could recruit. So i saved him, branded him and make him retreat, since i was confident i could take the other captain and the orcs myself. Little did i know this particular captain was immune to executions and arrows. He quickly adapted to my strategies and as I was about to be killed, from the distance the sniper i recruited earlier came back for me and killed the Orc with a godlike shot. It was basically the game's version of this old comic:

This game has not been on my radar at all, but I get a kick out of reading "story" threads. Years ago one of these types of threads got me into Morrowind afterall. Reading these has put this game on my radar. Is the first game required to enjoy the new one?

Top Bottom