• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero III - Wii, PS3, 360 and PS2

Tabris

sharkie said:
Thats true yet people still herald the fact that the ps3 and 360 version is in HD when really it adds nothing to the game, so theres is good reason for people to buy either the ps2 or wii versions of the game.

5.1 Optical Output for a game about music = HUGE!

ElyrionX

sharkie said:
Thats true yet people still herald the fact that the ps3 and 360 version is in HD when really it adds nothing to the game, so theres is good reason for people to buy either the ps2 or wii versions of the game.

The PS3 and 360 have support for true Dolby Digital 5.1 surround whereas the PS2 and Wii don't. And in a music game that tries to replicate the rockstar experience with semi-realistic crowd behaviour and atmosphere, sound is certainly a huge and critical element of the overall game.

Besides, if you have a HDTV, even the notes look jaggy and pixelated with 16:9 and progressive scan turned on in the PS2 version.

xsarien

daedsiluap
ElyrionX said:
I still don't see what kind of motion input can be programmed into the game that will reward the player for making realistic motions with the guitar.

Then you, sir, have no imagination. The series is a celebration of knowing how to rock; the Wii version is screaming for rewards and/or points for playing style.

PkunkFury

Tabris said:

I think you're forgetting they could have the music come out of the Wiimote speaker. If the wiimote is in the guitar controller, the speaker could be at the center, for an acoustic style of play. They could call it Guitar Hero unlpugged. It really doesn't get more immersive than that.

PkunkFury said:
I think you're forgetting they could have the music come out of the Wiimote speaker. If the wiimote is in the guitar controller, the speaker could be at the center, for an acoustic style of play. They could call it Guitar Hero unlpugged. It really doesn't get more immersive than that.

Wiimote speakers for sound? Did anyone else throw up a little bit on their keyboard?

This is activision. I doubt they're going to go through the trouble of putting a Wiimote stand in the middle of the Guitar for a new gameplay mode. The Wii version will probably be identical to the PS2 version.

Tabris

Except both the 360 and PS3 have better audio chips that support better sound quality. I believe in-game 5.1 on PS2 is still a resource intensive application, so most developers aren't able to do it and leave that for cutscenes.

PkunkFury said:

... you're joking right? The wiimote is 8bit audio which is useful for simple sound effects, not an entire audio channel... and it drains the battery immensely.

ElyrionX

Tabris said:
.. you're joking right? The wiimote is 8bit audio which is useful for simple sound effects, not an entire audio channel... and it drains the battery immensely.

I think (or perhaps, I hope) he's being sarcastic.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tabris said:

5.1 Optical Output for rock songs = not so big of a deal.

this isnt a game environment where having surround sound can actually enhance the gameplay.

Tabris

quadriplegicjon said:
5.1 Optical Output for rock songs = not so big of a deal.

this isnt a game environment where having surround sound can actually enhance the gameplay.

Immersion. You have the following sounds: drummer (which should be in the back surround channels), singer (front channels), guitar playing (front channels), fan's cheering (surrounding you). I mean you want the rock star expeirence, then surround just makes that so much better.

Kewk

Banned
Wario64 said:
Guitar Hero is dead, in spirit. Rock Band is the new hotness. Support the real Harmonix game.

lol, no. A luck hit has moved to a AAA developer. Expect bigger and better from the franchise.

PkunkFury

Kewk said:
lol, no. A luck hit has moved to a AAA developer. Expect bigger and better from the franchise.

Well "Works for Activision", I wonder what "Works for Harmonix" has to say about that

IIRC PS2 can do 5.1 dts in game, it just takes up more processing power than 4.0. Not sure that any title actually used it though. Dolby Digital requires too much processing power to compress dynamically on PS2. Prologic is almost free, which is why almost everyone used it.

Particle Physicist

Tabris said:
Immersion. You have the following sounds: drummer (which should be in the back surround channels), singer (front channels), guitar playing (front channels), fan's cheering (surrounding you). I mean you want the rock star expeirence, then surround just makes that so much better.

i think that dplIIx does the job well enough for this game.. you guys are really making this into a bigger deal than it is. its not like the wii only outputs mono.

ElyrionX

woxel1 said:
Dolby Pro Logic II not cutting it for you, or do you need your ambiance in Dolby Digitally separated channels?

I don't really know how different it will sound in DD compared to PLII but I'm just saying that even if it will only be marginally better, it is still better. If you have the PS3 or 360, there's just completely no reason to buy the Wii version, assuming that the Wii doesn't incorporate any additional motion control as envisioned by some in this thread. The PS2 version is different because some people (like myself) have already invested in the peripherals specific to that platform so there's an argument for getting the inferior version.

sharkie

ElyrionX said:
No.

Read it more closely it says most not all, yet it says "cannot process interactive Dolby Digital during game play" so if anything its more confusing , although I'm not sure if either Guitar Hero 1 or 2 had 5.1 to be honest (as a game having 5.1 or not hasn't really ever been apart of my game buying criteria)

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Kewk said:

Guitar Hero: Underground confirmed. Awesome.

This series is going to be milked so hard and so bad that in 2 years we'll all wonder why we even liked it in the first place. Harmonix got out just at the right time.

ElyrionX

quadriplegicjon said:
i think that dplIIx does the job well enough for this game.. you guys are really making this into a bigger deal than it is. its not like the wii only outputs mono.

You're missing the whole point of his original post. Tabris was asking why people would want the Wii version when they can have the 360 or PS3 version, which makes total sense.

Tabris

woxel1 said:
Dolby Pro Logic II not cutting it for you, or do you need your ambiance in Dolby Digitally separated channels?

Why settle for Dolby Pro Logic II when you can go with Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 through optical? I mean the whole point some of us bringing up is that if you own a 360 or PS3, there's absolutely no reason to buy it for the Wii. Absolutely not a single reason.

They won't sell the guitar cheaper. It will be the same price across all platforms.

Particle Physicist

ElyrionX said:
You're missing the whole point of his original post. Tabris was asking why people would want the Wii version when they can have the 360 or PS3 version, which makes total sense.

not when the wii version might have added motion sensing. and maybe cheaper (if the guitar connects to the remote, it should be)? whats the pricing structure for 3rd party 360/ps3 game vs. wii ?

PkunkFury

ElyrionX said:

if the guitar uses the Wiimote slot, it'll be buckets cheaper for a wireless guitar, but yeah otherwise I dont' see why you'd pick the Wii version. It's more likely in production because Activision expects a large casual aduience of Wii only gamers that would pick up this type of game. Seems like a good fit since it's trending towards the "party system". Most every get together I've been to since November has had, Wii, Guitar hero, or both going on at some point

Tabris

quadriplegicjon said:
not when the wii version might have added motion sensing. and maybe cheaper (if the guitar connects to the remote, it should be)? whats the pricing structure for 3rd party 360/ps3 game vs. wii ?

No one here can explain to me what added motion sensing there would be when the original guitar hero guitar already had a motion sensor.

PkunkFury

Tabris said:
They won't sell the guitar cheaper. It will be the same price across all platforms.

I'm not so sure about this. We're talking the price difference between a $20 shell with some fret buttons and a $40 dollar bluetooth device with batteries, motion sensor, etc. Just look at the difference in price between the Wiimote and the calssic controller, and we know Nintendo/retailers are pulling some high margins on that classic controller.

Price is one of the big barriers for Guitar Hero, wireless guitars for the game cost some serious cash. Using the wiimote as a transmitter for the Guitar will help them break that barrier down. And we know the Wii demographic considers price an important factor, otherwise they maybe would have bought a different console

The only other option, really, is plugging into the Gamecube ports, but at this point, why do that? I'm sure a GC interface + chord would cost more than the wiimote socket. With the tradition they've started of a new guitar per system, they'll be making a Wii guitar anyway, so having it slot with the remote seems obvious. If activision doesn't do this for the Wii version, they are dumb

ElyrionX

sharkie said:
Read it more closely it says most not all, yet it says "cannot process interactive Dolby Digital during game play" so if anything its more confusing , although I'm not sure if either Guitar Hero 1 or 2 had 5.1 to be honest (as a game having 5.1 or not hasn't really ever been apart of my game buying criteria)

can be translated as:

sharkie said:
Yes, I know I'm wrong but I refuse to admit I'm wrong in the face of overwhelming evidence. Instead, I'll just play with the words in said evidence and continue to argue for the sake of arguing because I will never admit I am wrong. Oh, and I'll even throw in a disclaimer that I don't really care about what I had argued for in the first place. I like to behave like this to piss off people that I am having a discussion with.

EDIT: Oh and if there's anyone who needs to read what I quoted "more closely", it is YOU. The site mentions that MOST games use PLII EXCLUSIVELY merely because there are SOME games that use Dolby Digital in the ingame cinematics. How hard is it to understand?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Seriously, all this talk of Dolby this, Dolby that for a game where the covers - at best - top out at mediocre is kind of silly. Guitar Hero is, and always shall be about the gameplay.

Particle Physicist

Tabris said:
No one here can explain to me what added motion sensing there would be when the original guitar hero guitar already had a motion sensor.

i dunno.. stuff like moving the guitar in a certain fashion makes your avatar do tricks thus adding points.

hell, the game already has one motion sensing feature..

PkunkFury

Tabris said:

A Square-Enix cross over starring Gackt wielding his new signiture Guitar Blade with almost 1:1 motion tracking

sharkie

ElyrionX said:

1. Maybe they don't have either consoles
2. Maybe they have a ps2
3. Maybe they don't have either a ps2, 360 or ps3.
4. Maybe the want to save 10 Dollars/Pounds/Euros on a gaming purchase.
5. (and especially for you) Maybe the don't have 5.1 surround sound system :p

All it is an option for the Wii owners, so to question someone else's reason for buying that version based on your own situation seems redundant.

ElyrionX said:
can be translated as:

EDIT: Oh and if there's anyone who needs to read what I quoted "more closely", it is YOU. The site mentions that MOST games use PLII EXCLUSIVELY merely because there are SOME games that use Dolby Digital in the ingame cinematics. How hard is it to understand?

Congratulations you win the Internets :shakeshead: grow up

Aaron

PkunkFury said:
I'm not so sure about this. We're talking the price difference between a $20 shell with some fret buttons and a $40 dollar bluetooth device with batteries, motion sensor, etc. Just look at the difference in price between the Wiimote and the calssic controller, and we know Nintendo/retailers are pulling some high margins on that classic controller.
Not confirmed to use a shell, and if Act and Redoctane want the monies, it won't use a shell. I wouldn't want any additional motion sensing tricks anyway with how hard it is for me to focus on the notes in hard, much less expert. Unless optional, waggling is only going to be a detractor.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Gigglepoo said:

They're kinda one in the same there, sport.

Aaron said:
Not confirmed to use a shell, and if Act and Redoctane want the monies, it won't use a shell. I wouldn't want any additional motion sensing tricks anyway with how hard it is for me to focus on the notes in hard, much less expert. Unless optional, waggling is only going to be a detractor.

It's not Activision's fault you're weaksauce!

Gigglepoo

xsarien said:
They're kinda one in the same there, sport.

Not really at all. Guitar Hero is leagues behind Amplitude in many ways (offline, limited to two player, no power ups, cannot remix your own songs) but is much more popular because it has a guitar peripheral. If people had to play GH with the Dual Shock it wouldn't have been nearly as popular.

Tabris

sharkie said:
1. Maybe they don't have either consoles
2. Maybe they have a ps2
3. Maybe they don't have either a ps2, 360 or ps3.
4. Maybe the want to save 10 Dollars/Pounds/Euros on a gaming purchase.
5. (and especially for you) Maybe the don't have 5.1 surround sound system :p

All it is an option for the Wii owners, so to question someone else's reason for buying that version based on your own situation seems redundant.

1) If you read my post again, I said if you own a PS3 or 360, why would you buy the Wii version.
2) Once again, read above.
3) Once again, read above.
4) There is no confirmation on price. All the games and guitars may be priced the same, so until you hear different on price, you should want to buy the 360/PS3 version over the Wii.
5) Even if they don't, why would you buy a game that may be priced the exact same but is missing this feature? What possible reason?

I'm working on FACTS here. Sure, price may change, sure, they may have unique songs per console and people would pick it up based on that, but right now the FACTS are the PS3/360 versions are the SUPERIOR choice and there's absolutely NO reason currently to buy it for the Wii. None at all except fanboyism.

PkunkFury

Aaron said:

Wouldn't Redcotane be losing money if they didn't use a shell? since they'd have to pay for more complex parts? I think a more likely scenario is that they will over-charge for an empty shell since they can get away with it, and still charge less than the full controller. Don't forget, the cheaper they make the thing, the easier it is to sell. Imagine if they sell a shell at 10 dollars less than the full 360 controller. They'd be raking in cash. It'd be bad for consumers, but we'd still be getting cheaper guitars, so who knows...

xsarien

daedsiluap
Gigglepoo said:
Not really at all. Guitar Hero is leagues behind Amplitude in many ways (offline, limited to two player, no power ups, cannot remix your own songs) but is much more popular because it has a guitar peripheral. If people had to play GH with the Dual Shock it wouldn't have been nearly as popular.

I...am not saying that you should play with the DS2 (at all, quite frankly, but my feelings about how the XB/360 pad is superior are for another thread). I'm saying that the guitar peripheral is directly related to the gameplay.

PkunkFury

Tabris said:
5) Even if they don't, why would you buy a game that may be priced the exact same but is missing this feature? What possible reason?

ooh ooh ooh I know! maybe so that my bluetooth doesn't cut out for 5 seconds during the solo on my 100% run on Freebird Expert mode

Tabris

PkunkFury said:
ooh ooh ooh I know! maybe so that my bluetooth doesn't cut out for 5 seconds during the solo on my 100% run on Freebird Expert mode

360 doesn't has this issue, just the PS3. Also, isn't that issue with the PS3 controller and not the bluetooth chip/device in the PS3? Because I haven't heard of bluetooth headsets cutting out.

Aaron

xsarien said:
It's not Activision's fault you're weaksauce!
It's true. I suck at this game big time. Love it though.
Wouldn't Redcotane be losing money if they didn't use a shell? since they'd have to pay for more complex parts? I think a more likely scenario is that they will over-charge for an empty shell since they can get away with it, and still charge less than the full controller. Don't forget, the cheaper they make the thing, the easier it is to sell. Imagine if they sell a shell at 10 dollars less than the full 360 controller. They'd be raking in cash. It'd be bad for consumers, but we'd still be getting cheaper guitars, so who knows...
They make money off their toy guitar alone though. Figuring out how to make it work as a shell might be more effort than just adapting the existing guitar. I really expect the Wii one to be in line with the price of the PS2 version + guitar.

sharkie

Tabris said:
1) If you read my post again, I said if you own a PS3 or 360, why would you buy the Wii version.
4) There is no confirmation on price. All the games and guitars may be priced the same, so until you hear different on price, you should want to buy the 360/PS3 version over the Wii.

I'm working on FACTS here. Sure, price may change, sure, they may have unique songs per console and people would pick it up based on that, but right now the FACTS are the PS3/360 versions are the SUPERIOR choice and there's absolutely NO reason currently to buy it for the Wii. None at all except fanboyism.

Sorry I only read the comments thereafter not you're original post, and as for the price comment I was basing it on the fact that Wii games are generally cheaper barring the fact that it has a guitar or not.

Quagm1r3

Talk about sending out game after game adding little features. I bet they're just going to add a few songs, online multiplayer, and call it a new game. I feel like I shouldn't have bought GH II :(

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Tabris said:

Jesus, maybe someone really, really likes the Wii menus and wants to see a GHII splash screen. Or has a friend who only has a Wii and wants to bring it over to their house.

What the hell do you even care?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Quagm1r3 said:
Talk about sending out game after game adding little features. I bet they're just going to add a few songs, online multiplayer, and call it a new game. I feel like I shouldn't have bought GH II :(

Seriously! Who the hell do they think they are, EA?

Top Bottom