• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero III - Wii, PS3, 360 and PS2

I think Tabris is determined to get the Anihawk owning of him posted in every thread.

If the guitar is wireless on the Wii version and not on the other two, that would be a damn good reason to buy that version, especially for those who don't have surround sound. That said, I don't care because Guitar Hero doesn't interest me much. Tabris should care even less because he's not buying the Wii version.

Tieno

Quagm1r3 said:
Talk about sending out game after game adding little features. I bet they're just going to add a few songs, online multiplayer, and call it a new game. I feel like I shouldn't have bought GH II :(
The game is all about the songs. If they have a new game with just great new songs I'll get it (and just refine some features and more stat tracking)

Xavien

Tabris and ElyrionX...

The trolling of wii is strong in this thread.

If they packed the game with a shell that could lock the wiimote into it, I'm pretty sure that it would be cheaper and it would be completely wireless. Secondly, I have a SDTV and use the TV speakers (which are pretty good on my Sony CRT), so digital output is a moot point for me, so Pro Logic II is fine. Thirdly, graphics don't do anything in a guitar hero game and if you want this game for '1080p' graphics then you are missing the entire point of Guitar Hero (and various other rhythm type games).

So the only real advantage is Optical sound, however the wii version has the advantage of the Wiimote itself and the possibility of being cheaper.

Everyone gets something, stop trying to 'convert the crowd' cause its just pathetic.

StevieP

Banned
Xavien said:
Tabris and ElyrionX...

If they packed the game with a shell that could lock the wiimote into it, I'm pretty sure that it would be cheaper and it would be completely wireless. Secondly, I have a SDTV and use the TV speakers (which are pretty good on my Sony CRT), so digital output is a moot point for me, so Pro Logic II is fine. Thirdly, graphics don't do anything in a guitar hero game and if you want this game for '1080p' graphics then you are missing the entire point of Guitar Hero (and various other rhythm type games).

So the only real advantage is Optical sound, however the wii version has the advantage of the Wiimote itself and the possibility of being cheaper.

Everyone gets something, stop trying to 'convert the crowd' cause its just pathetic.

*golf clap*
Now I wonder which version of the game will sell the most, PS2 or Wii?

Nintaiyo

Xavien said:
Tabris and ElyrionX...

Thank you! Took the words right out of my mouth!

Tabris

Xavien said:
Tabris and ElyrionX...

So because you don't have an HDTV and just use TV speakers, you rather get the inferior version even if they were the same price? No one's trying to convert anyone here, we're just completly confused with the logic of wanting to buy something that is inferior due to what console you prefer.

Also again, people keep on mentioning the unique motion sensing of the wiimote but they are failing to explain what they could do with it? If you can explain what they can do except changing your avatar to match your guitar movements (which according to your logic, doesn't matter as graphics/presentation doesn't matter in a guitar/rythem game)

Also it won't use the dock system for a wiimote, it's more expensive to produce a completly seperate guitar controller for the wii to use the wiimote instead of just having a generic wireless one among all 3 consoles and just changing basic stuff like buttons/wireless signals.

Any ways we've argued this point to the bone and we'll just need to agree to disagree right now.

StevieP

Banned
Tabris said:
So because you don't have an HDTV and just use TV speakers, you rather get the inferior version even if they were the same price? No one's trying to convert anyone here, we're just completly confused with the logic of wanting to buy something that is inferior due to what console you prefer.

Even if it is inferior (which is your opinion - remember, it started on PS2), it could be much cheaper and it could even be more fun to play (see: Godfather Wii) if they do SOMETHING unique with the motion sensing. If I owned the guitar for the PS2 and had a 360, for instance, I wouldn't hesistate to purchase it for the PS2, despite the 360/PS3 versions looking a bit nicer (DPLIIx vs DD in this game means nearly nothing - it's not an action movie... positional audio will probably be near-identical).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Tabris said:
As a troll, can you only imagine the wii may have great features that we won't find on other versions? How about a wireless guitar, or some sounds coming out of the wiimote? If Red Octane anticipates the game will sell the most on Wii -which makes sense regarding the concept/userbase- they will certainly polish it and add unique features on this Wii version. So it's a bit premature to say there will be an inferior version.

wsippel

Banned
_leech_ said:
GH2 in the summer and GH3 in the fall? What's the point? They'd be better off just focusing on GH3 instead of a port.
Wii also gets Sims 2 this summer and MySims in fall or winter...

PkunkFury

Tabris said:
Also it won't use the dock system for a wiimote, it's more expensive to produce a completly seperate guitar controller for the wii to use the wiimote instead of just having a generic wireless one among all 3 consoles and just changing basic stuff like buttons/wireless signals.

I really don't understand how you're coming to this conclusion. In fact I'm dead certain you don't have the slightest idea how much any of this stuff costs to manufacture. Still, I think you're hilarious, so carry on

Neomoto

Somehow I think that it [the wii version] will have some unique features.

A portion of an (some what old?) Ars Technica interview with Harmonix producer Daniel Sussman:
Q: What do you see as the best platform for rhythm games at the moment? When can we expect to see a Harmonix title on the Wii?

A: Rhythm games really transcend the console details as they don’t necessarily need tons of CPU mojo to run. The gameplay itself is pretty straightforward, most of the time. Each platform brings something unique to the table, whether its physica gaming for the Wii, a great online infrastructure with the XBOX 360 or awesome programming power and graphics capabilities with the PS3.
Hell, aside for the added motion controlls, they could even include Mii's or use Connect24 or whatever. If done right it could be huge for Wii, especially considering the Wii's target audience and games that can be played with the whole family and everything.

PkunkFury said:
I really don't understand how you're coming to this conclusion. In fact I'm dead certain you don't have the slightest idea how much any of this stuff costs to manufacture. Still, I think you're hilarious, so carry on
I guess it would be less expensive but it wouldn't help I mean how would the fret buttons work? By using the A and + - buttons on the wiimote?

.dmc

Banned
Given that Guitar Hero is all about the performative aspect, the idea that your avatar could mimick your moves is huge. It wouldn't be too hard to connect it to the gameplay either. You pull the controller behind your head, your avatar puts the guitar behind his head for MASSIVE DAMAGE. That easy.

StevieP

Banned
Prime crotch said:
I guess it would be less expensive but it wouldn't help I mean how would the fret buttons work? By using the A and + - buttons on the wiimote?

Dude... you slot the Wii remote into the guitar using the port on the bottom of the wiimote. Because it's just a shell and requires no expensive components, it should be much cheaper. The guitar has its own buttons, even if it's a shell... in the same way the nunchuk has its own sticks and buttons but still attaches to the Wiimote's port. The port on the bottom of the Wiimote allows you to attach it to any kind of interface... be it a gun, a traditional controller, a nunchuk, a guitar or anything you want to slot it into! :lol

PkunkFury

Prime crotch said:

no, we're suggesting the remote will slide into a shell shaped like the standard Guitar hero controller complete with Frets, thus Wii owners would have a wireless guitar without having to purchase the "wireless" part

PkunkFury said:
no, we're suggesting the remote will slide into a shell shaped like the standard Guitar hero controller complete with Frets, thus Wii owners would have a wireless guitar without having to purchase the "wireless" part
Won't happen, people like to make money.

PkunkFury

Prime crotch said:

ugh...

please read my previous posts... in no way does selling a shell not consitute making money. in fact it opens the doorway for Red Octane to rake in cash on a peripheral that would cost them next to nothing, much like Nintendo is doing with the calssic controller.

Don't forget, people also like to sell product. Guitar Hero with a wireless gutiar is freaking expensive

I'm not saying Red Octane will definitely do it, but I am pretty certain they'd be stupid not to, and by that I mean really stupid

But they can sell you TWO guitars instead of just one and they know you'll still buy it.
PkunkFury said:
ugh...

please read my previous posts... in no way does selling a shell not consitute making money.
How not? Cheap to make and then they slap a 40$ tag to it.

StevieP

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Prime crotch said:
But they can sell you TWO guitars instead of just one and they know you'll still buy it.
IMG_3383.jpg

PkunkFury said:
thats right... I'm confused, are you agreeing with me?
I'm agreeing that it is cheap to make. I'm also saying that they probably won't make that model their first guitar since they can make two and people will still buy it just like they did with GHII by buying the red guitar when they could have just gotten the game.

ram

Neomoto said:
Somehow I think that it [the wii version] will have some unique features.

A portion of an (some what old?) Ars Technica interview with Harmonix producer Daniel Sussman:

Hell, aside for the added motion controlls, they could even include Mii's or use Connect24 or whatever. If done right it could be huge for Wii, especially considering the Wii's target audience and games that can be played with the whole family and everything.

harmonix has nothing to do with guitar hero 3 - its all about neversoft.

DoubleTap

Futureman said:
What happened to Guitar Hero: '80s Edition? Is that not being done anymore?

I'm actually anticipating this more than GHIII. It's a bit disappointing that there's been no new announcements so far.

PkunkFury

Prime crotch said:
I'm agreeing that it is cheap to make. I'm also saying that they probably won't make that model their first guitar since they can make two and people will still buy it just like they did with GHII by buying the red guitar when they could have just gotten the game.

ah I see what you are saying, they would bundle a wired guitar and then hope to sell folks two shells. And I concede, this would make them the most money. But it's also insanely greedy, considering the shell would've been cheaper and better for the consumer than the wired guitar anyway, and this would require manufacturing a Gamecube guitar that plugs into the Wii as well as a shell. There's something to be said about giving the customer the right product the first time. We'll see what happens

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
so a cool game gets announced for every platform and we argue even more... maybe this is the true revolution brought on by the wiimote.

Vlad

levious said:
so a cool game gets announced for every platform and we argue even more... maybe this is the true revolution brought on by the wiimote.

Hell, I'm just happy that it's still coming to the PS2. It's nice that they're still supporting the people who made the initial investment in the controllers.

Ben Sones

StevieP said:
Dude... you slot the Wii remote into the guitar using the port on the bottom of the wiimote. Because it's just a shell and requires no expensive components, it should be much cheaper. The guitar has its own buttons, even if it's a shell... in the same way the nunchuk has its own sticks and buttons but still attaches to the Wiimote's port. The port on the bottom of the Wiimote allows you to attach it to any kind of interface... be it a gun, a traditional controller, a nunchuk, a guitar or anything you want to slot it into! :lol

I'm not sure how a guitar that has all the same buttons and controls as the regular guitar, plus a slot of the Wiimote, is "just a shell." It's not like the buttons would be mechanically transferring presses to buttons on the Wiimote or anything; it would have to have all the same electronics as the regular GH guitar, except perhaps for the tilt sensor. Not much of a cost savings, and it's probably a wash when you add in the additional cost of the Wiimote dock.

Frankly, I doubt they'll bother designing a new guitar with a Wiimote dock for the Wii version, anyway. I just don't think there would be much that you could do with it, in practical terms.

Those of you saying you don't know how the Wiimote will help add gameplay to Guitar Hero.... are you mental? Its well known that if you lift up your guitar as you play White Rabbit, then the LSD kicks in at least twice as hard. Its also well known that if you wobble the guitar with your hips, it becomes possible to play Violet the Organ Grinder - no matter of button pressing can help you.

I mean.. its a goddamn guitar. Its not about the button pressings / strings.

And buying it for 1080p widescreen... just disgusting. If they sold a mono version I'd go with that - if it had more fire on the front cover. Jesus wept. GUITAR HERO. Not KNIGHTS OF SOFT ROCK NOW IN HI-DEF.

Its all about the songs and barring equality on that front, its about the smallest, most portable console. I mean, if it has Mii support, fuggedaboutit.

Neomoto

Vlad said:
Hell, I'm just happy that it's still coming to the PS2. It's nice that they're still supporting the people who made the initial investment in the controllers.
The only thing they're supporting is the 110+ million userbase. ;) (well not the only thing but it is the main factor)

BuzzJive

Well - we don't know what features each version will have yet - but I'm definitely picking up the Wii version because I do know for sure that it comes with bitter Tabris tears.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Actually it's about rocking it out...on a guitar controller. Using the Wii controller will make you feel like you're playing air guitar. This is Guitar Hero. I'm most certain they will release a guitar controller for the Wii

Jim

Wario64 said:
Actually it's about rocking it out...on a guitar controller. Using the Wii controller will make you feel like you're playing air guitar. This is Guitar Hero. I'm most certain they will release a guitar controller for the Wii

If you aren't playing Guitar Hero with a damn guitar peripheral then you aren't playing Guitar Hero. Anyone who buys the game with the expectation of playing it with a controller (Wii included), doesn't "get" the game at all.

It's all about providing a reasonable illusion of being on stage, in front of an "audience", with a GUITAR.

If Activision was smart, they'd come up with a line of official multiplatform guitars in a number of styles/colors.

bengraven

I don't really see how the motion controls will be much different for the Wii version. It will probably be the same guitar. There already were motion controls anyway, when you tilted the guitar up to activate star power. Nah, I'd rather get the 360 version for the HD graphics, thankyouverymuch.

Ben Sones

Wolves Evolve said:
Those of you saying you don't know how the Wiimote will help add gameplay to Guitar Hero.... are you mental? Its well known that if you lift up your guitar as you play White Rabbit, then the LSD kicks in at least twice as hard. Its also well known that if you wobble the guitar with your hips, it becomes possible to play Violet the Organ Grinder - no matter of button pressing can help you.

I mean.. its a goddamn guitar. Its not about the button pressings / strings.

Have you even played this game? Because it sounds a lot like you haven't.

I think I'll give Rock band a try, since as much as I love GH, I'm not the biggest metal fan. I'm thinking Rock band will have more varied content.

Evlar

Banned
Ben Sones said:
I'm not sure how a guitar that has all the same buttons and controls as the regular guitar, plus a slot of the Wiimote, is "just a shell." It's not like the buttons would be mechanically transferring presses to buttons on the Wiimote or anything; it would have to have all the same electronics as the regular GH guitar, except perhaps for the tilt sensor. Not much of a cost savings, and it's probably a wash when you add in the additional cost of the Wiimote dock.

Frankly, I doubt they'll bother designing a new guitar with a Wiimote dock for the Wii version, anyway. I just don't think there would be much that you could do with it, in practical terms.
The cost savings is in not needing the Bluetooth transceiver. The guitar detects all the button presses and strumming, the Remote detects tilt and communicates with the Wii via Bluetooth. That seems the most reasonable arrangement.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Ben Sones said:
Have you even played this game? Because it sounds a lot like you haven't.
Can you recognize complete, face-smackingly obvious sarcasm? Because it looks a lot like you can't.

felipeko

BuzzJive said:
Well - we don't know what features each version will have yet - but I'm definitely picking up the Wii version because I do know for sure that it comes with bitter Tabris tears.
:lol:lol:lol

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tabris said:
Also again, people keep on mentioning the unique motion sensing of the wiimote but they are failing to explain what they could do with it? If you can explain what they can do except changing your avatar to match your guitar movements (which according to your logic, doesn't matter as graphics/presentation doesn't matter in a guitar/rythem game)

i already explained some possibilities.

btw, are you hanzou from modojo? you argue just like him. throwing the word inferior around nilly-willy

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
isn't the motion sensor in the Guitar Controller limited simply to tilt? Is it even an accelerometer? I would think using the wiimote as part of a guitar shell would open up a lot of possibilities... whether they're actually good.

Even if they could have a three player mode, with the third player simply using the wiimote by itself as a tamborine... plenty of things you could do.

Vlad

levious said:
isn't the motion sensor in the Guitar Controller limited simply to tilt? Is it even an accelerometer? I would think using the wiimote as part of a guitar shell would open up a lot of possibilities... whether they're actually good.

Exactly. IIRC, the one in the GH1 controller is just some ball bearings that roll in these little channels or something that make the connection.

If the Wii remote is as accurate with tilt-sensing as everyone says it is, it would be a great substitution for the regular sensors. The one my my GH1 controller is too unresponsive, and my GH2 one varies between way too sensitive and not sensitive enough.

Sherveen

So... besides new songs, what's going to be in the third game? Why not just do DLC and release GHII ports on the Wii and the PS3 instead of releasing a new edition the same year? Makes no sense...

Sherveen said:
So... besides new songs, what's going to be in the third game? Why not just do DLC and release GHII ports on the Wii and the PS3 instead of releasing a new edition the same year? Makes no sense...
Red Octane makes money on selling guitars with new versions.

Jammy

Banned
I'm also going to get the Wii version of this game just to spite people like Tabris. Honestly, a rhythm game is a rhythm game. It's not like DDR Universe on 360 is much better than the old PS2 versions.

M3d10n

Tabris said:
Why settle for Dolby Pro Logic II when you can go with Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 through optical? I mean the whole point some of us bringing up is that if you own a 360 or PS3, there's absolutely no reason to buy it for the Wii. Absolutely not a single reason.

They won't sell the guitar cheaper. It will be the same price across all platforms.

131fs796237.jpg

Top Bottom