• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 ELITE Died and I Lived to tell the story"

squicken

I went to Wal-Mart at midnight to pick up an Elite. Got home, plugged everything in, and it was ****ed. All that would happen was that the green ring would spin in a continuous pattern on the console, with a picture intermittently showing up on the screen. It was like the unit was in a constant state of reboot, as all I ever caught glimpses of was the splash screen.

I tried using the HDMI, component, and composite connection, but nothing worked. No audio ever came through.

So I went back to Wal-Mart and luckily they had another one left. The new one is working fine and all is well . . . for now. I'm using my white play and charge kit on my black controller, and seeing it makes me dream of a better tomorrow.

Yeah, I know there is a big "360 died" thread, but that thread is for lamers who only have the tard 360s. I'm an Elite gamer and therefore deserve my own thread.

gimmmick

Shocking, the funny thing is about all of this is that my local gamestop doesn't even have the elits yet.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If my Elite 360 dies on me like that, then somebody is gonna pay for it and most likely it will be Costco.

squicken said:
Yeah, I know there is a big "360 died" thread, but that thread is for lamers who only have the tard 360s. I'm an Elite gamer and therefore deserve my own thread.

yogurtuo5.gif

Burger

Jesus christ, when will it end.

I have to assume all units are tested by robots. Terrible QA Microsoft, shame on you.

Burger said:
Jesus christ, when will it end.

I have to assume all units are tested by robots. Terrible QA Microsoft, shame on you.

There was some thread like a week ago where someone posted that, supposedly, MS spends 6 dollars to manufacture a 360, compared with 20 for the Wii and like 43 for the PS3.

What tests do you think they're getting for six dollars? :lol

But, again, I have no idea if that is true or not. It would seem likely though.

The Elite contains the exact same components as the regular 360, no new chipsets like people were hoping for. Rumour is MS has a contract for the current velveeta chips through the end of the year. The failure rate for Elites won't be any different than in the past.

LiveFromKyoto said:
The Elite contains the exact same components as the regular 360, no new chipsets like people were hoping for. Rumour is MS has a contract for the current velveeta chips through the end of the year. The failure rate for Elites won't be any different than in the past.

I knew three people who were going to buy an elite until they heard that it hadn't moved to 65nm yet. Three people who have all had at least one 360 die. They really should have just waited.

FightyF

Banned
Yeah I think a new thread is a good idea...it would be interesting to see how they fare.

LiveFromKyoto said:

That's true, but I was thinking that maybe some things would be re-arranged or some other sort of solution implemented. If it's a soldering issue, rather than component issue, then it could be solved, despite having the same components.

That's what I was thinking anyways, and that's why I'm interested in how they fare.

Zzoram

It's not a new chipset per se, but the motherboard is a bit different from before. It's also got added epoxy to prevent certain contacts from separating if the PCB gets too hot and tries to warp. That is apparently the problem with the 360 and the epoxy in the Elite should greatly reduce the problem. Until someone gets a red ring with an Elite, I don't think we need to write this model off yet.

this thread is an excuse for 360 haters to have some fun, one person reports a problem and it's stacks on :lol

it's like watching seagulls squabble over a chip!

Bildi

jizzlobber said:
this thread is an excuse for 360 haters to have some fun, one person reports a problem and it's stacks on :lol

it's like watching seagulls squabble over a chip!
In fairness, M$ have brought it on themselves. If the 360 weren't so laughably unreliable to begin with, nobody would have batted an eyelid at this thread.

I suspect the main hardware revision for the Elite was to remove the red LEDs.

squicken

Bildi said:
In fairness, M$ have brought it on themselves. If the 360 weren't so laughably unreliable to begin with, nobody would have batted an eyelid at this thread.

I suspect the main hardware revision for the Elite was to remove the red LEDs.

I'm not sure what the problem was. For all I know it could have been the video connections knocked loose druing transit. It was just stuck in a continuous reboot cycle, so there was never a chance for the red rings to show up. But I'm enjoying my new Elite 360. For my TV, the HDMI makes a big difference. That's why I upgraded.

I had a launch 360 die after about a year and a half, and I had a PS3 that overheated after a couple days. I keep a nice and clean AV shelf, so I guess I'm just snake bit this generation. But none of the returned systems cost me any extra money, so I can't complain too much. Just thought everyone could enjoy a good laugh at my minor inconvenience.

And it wasn't stillborn or aborted. It was more like it was constantly reborn and then died, only to be reborn again. Like in The Prestige sorta.

Top Bottom