• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 SKU (80gig w/ Motorstorm) in August? c'mon kids, freak out for my amusement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony Corp. announced a revised PlayStation 3 console Monday with a bigger hard drive for storing downloaded content such as video games and high-definition movies.

The new $599 PS3 increases the system's storage capacity from 60 to 80 gigabytes and also includes a retail copy of the online racing title ``MotorStorm,'' a company spokesman said.

Starting Monday, the current 60 gigabyte model will cost $499 _ a $100 price drop.

The larger capacity machine won't be available in the United States and Canada until August.

It plays into the company's upcoming strategy of eventually offering
downloaded high-definition movies, video games, movie trailers and demos, Sony spokesman David Karraker said.

Karraker said Sony would use the E3 show to focus on two areas: ways to increase the number of consumers who own PS3s and other products such

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=50340

EDIT: It should be noted that the 80gig version will have software-based PS2 emulation.

From the horse's mouth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmBCLtgoTR8

el oh el, I guess they arn't really dropping the price if that's the case.

damn, now ms holds even more reason to not drop the price

Orlics

bmf said:
So, they negated any help the price drop will have, making the old one the new tard pack. Fun. :lol :lol :lol :lol

That will only happen if they don't produce a lot of the 60 GB like they did with the 20 GB.

mj1108

So the 60 gig SKU is the new "tard pack" and the 80 gig one is the "premium"...and we can still say "$599".

Sony is ****ing stupid. They should just drop the 60 gig to $499 and be done with it (or include Motorstorm with it).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This just seems utterly stupid. It seems likely that to the general public the 600 dollar version will again be the version to get, effectively nullifying the price drop.

I mean, on a forum like this people can differentiate..but the mass public...I dunno.

Grecco

Yes a $400 Sony Console is Extremly Realistic.

in all seriousness. Would have been nicer with Resistance, than Motorstorm.

_leech_ said:
-20GB = tard?

What?

It's kinda how the Elite effectively raises the price of 360s. The market perceives the two differently.

I am completely in shock if this is what Sony decided to do...

schuelma

Nostromo said:
A 20 Gbytes smaller HD hardly makes it a tard pack

I completely agree with you..but what will the general public think? I guess it depends on how many of the 80 gig's will be produced and advertised.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kuturagi has talked about this year ago like there being a meta PS3 and building from there. This doesn't surprise me.

squicken

I think MS and Sony have take this one-upmanship too far. Nobody wants a competion over the most retarded sku lineup.

Animal

Banned
A message to the Sony Marketing and PR department:

681k228.gif

mj1108

Grecco said:
Yes a 400 Sony Console is Extremly Realistic.

So does this now mean that they will end up phasing out the 60 gig version for the 80 gig one on the shelves?

Speevy

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

Here's the most expensive model.
Here's the less expensive model.
Oops, too slow. No less expensive model.
Wait, you're not buying the more expensive model.
Okay, we'll make it the same price as the less expensive model, which you also weren't buying.
Now, here's a more expensive model.

Nostromo said:
It's the less capable version, which makes it the tard pack. Really. In the eyes of the consumer, the PS3 will remain $599.

I wonder if Peter Moore will say that this is another present from Sony to Microsoft.

It really all depends on how they are advertised and which SKU retailers push. For some reason I think they will push the 80gb.

skip

Grecco said:
Yes a 400 Sony Console is Extremly Realistic.

probably can't pack-in an M-rated game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why complain about this, it's stupid. The 499 version is obviously the way to go. Who cares about the bundle. This is not bad news when the 500 dollar SKU will thrive.

DCharlie

Banned
well, lets hold on a sec...

it looks like they are taking a $100 hit per unit on the old machines that are clogging up the inventory chains - then at least maybe this new unit will have more wiggle room for reduction in price (as the cost looks a bit high for what it is)

But yeah - it's a bit of a mixed message - but i'd expect that you are seeing the end of the 60 gig unit and the 80 gig is the way forward but... um... yeah.

Mmmkay

Oh hey look they're going to maintain the $599 price point with added value, I am jack's complete lack of surprise.

schuelma

SealSqueal said:
It really all depends on how they are advertised and which SKU retailers push. For some reason I think they will push the 80gb.

I agree; if they have brains and push the 60GB as the "normal" SKU and the 80GB as a limited, high end..I guess it could work. I'm doubtful.

Meier

Nostromo said:

It isn't a tard pack, but it's a clearly inferior version. They should have noticed by the fate of the tard packs for both the PS3 and X360 (and the iPhone to a lesser extent -- the 8 GBs all went first). When someone is plunking down a lot of money on a purchase like that, they want it to be the best available of its type. They're going to regret this move, you can count on that.

DMczaf

The new $599 PS3 increases the system's storage capacity from 60 to 80 gigabytes and also includes a retail copy of the online racing title ``MotorStorm,'' a company spokesman said.

4v46rty.gif

MaX_PL

Banned
maybe this is why the 60gig price is down to 500 in stores. they want to get rid of em to stock up with the 80gig.

anyway, if they made a resistance bundle all for 400 bucks, i think i would buy that and possibly sell my xbox 360 if halo 3 sucks.

Well, I hope the 60GB doesn't go the way of the dodo bird like the 20GB did. That would be terrible for Sony. Hopefully they add more features to the 80GB. As it stands, the bundle pack sounds like a horrible value. In fact, the higher end PS3 is the real tard pack.

tinderbox

squicken said:
I think MS and Sony have take this one-upmanship too far. Nobody wants a competion over the most retarded sku lineup.

Ya, but unfortunately it seems it's a competition they're determined to have. It's like Alien vs. Predator "No matter who wins, we lose"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom