• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Canvas Curse is still one of the best games on DS

jman2050

4km0561.jpg

Forget Squeak Squad, Amazing Mirror was better anyway. This was THE game that justified purchasing a DS far before the system jumped to the stratosphere never to fall down. We need a true sequel to this game that fixes its (few) problems. More powerups, more diverse level design, whatever, just give us another Canvas Curse game!

I'm thinking of booting it up again and improving some of my time attack scores, but also just to mess around and have some fun. For anyone that got on the DS bandwagon late, BUY THIS GAME NOW. That is all.

Ranger X

I support this thread. Kanva Curse in an original and excellent game. The difficulty curve is also perfect and the game isn't just a short tech demo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Canvas Curse IS the best game on the Nintendo DS.

True fact.

Sequel ****ing PLEASE Nintendo.

BTW, the last stage was ****in' AWESOME.

KINGMOKU

omg rite said:

True fact.

Advanced Wars begs to differ, then drags kirby's sqeaky little ass round' the woodshed, blows him apart, and uses the remainder for ****ing smores.

This game stomps the shit out of many games. I want a real sequel.

moku said:
Advanced Wars begs to differ, then drags kirby's sqeaky little ass round' the woodshed, blows him apart, and uses the remainder for ****ing smores.

Too samey.

Akinola

I CAN'T GET THE LAST MEDAL on the Minecart time attack!

In frustration, I sold the game for 10 bucks. I'm trying to get it back from my friend.

Easily one of the best DS games made. Stylus control=win.

I didn't like it at all. There are far better DS games and far better Kirby games out there. Heck, I'd even recommend Kirby Air Ride over this.

This and Meteos justified my launch DS purchase and tided over that great initial drought. This is one of only a handful of games I would ascribe art terms too like transcendant and sublime.

ex0du5

Banned
KCC is the best DS game to use the stylus functionality exclusively...but I wouldn't call it the best game. Mario Kart DS and Castelvania DoS deserve top spots.

Also, while not the top game, Pokemon P/D deserve serious mentions, simply for the insane replay value they provide.

Krowley

I'm not a handheld gamer, but I tried this at a friends house and it wowed me. It's completly unique and it would be impossible without the touch screen. Very cool game.

I could see it being very addictive.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
By far my favourite Kirby game and much better than Kirby Mouse Attack imo. Also my personal number four on DS, right behind Yoshis Island DS, New Super Mario Bros. and Sonic Rush (Yeah I love my Jump & Runs ^^). But it uses the DS far better than any of the aforementioned games.

jman2050

Zerodoppler said:
I didn't like it at all. There are far better DS games and far better Kirby games out there. Heck, I'd even recommend Kirby Air Ride over this.

GTFO

Just kidding, really. Different strokes for different people I suppose, but saying Air Ride is better? Come on :p

Emotions

The thing with Squeak Squad is just like Amazing Mirror and Nightmare in dreamland.
I support this thread entirely i absolutely love Kirby Canvas Curse best Kirby ever. I hope Hal is working on a sequel.

I don't think Canvas Curse is the best DS game (that would be Daigasso Band Bros, by far), but it IS the best touch screen game. When I found out Squeak Squad didn't use the same touch screen gameplay, I passed on it.

It's a shame it came out before the DS really took off, if that lessens the chances for a real sequel.

Brelston

Well, of course it's still one of the best games. It was when it came out two years ago. Not like it can cease to be one of the best games for the system, right?

But yes, it validated the DS IMO. Mario 64 (DS!!) was a waste and the only other game I had bought in the first seven months was Polarium, and that was because I felt bad about having no DS games. Then Kirby came along, followed by Advance Wars DS, Dawn of Sorrow, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing... man that was a good year.

jman2050

Let me just say that Drawcia Sorceress is one of the best boss battle themes ever.

Also, there's a reason I said 'one of the best.' My personal best probably goes to either Advance Wars or Sonic Rush (and soon to be Contra IV maybe). Doesn't make K:CC any less awesome :D

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Canvas Curse and Meteos were my first DS games. Both were awesome, but Canvas Curse was a masterpiece. Needless to say, we need a sequal. The Squeak Squad announcement was one of my biggest letdowns of last year.

Yeah it's an amazing game. Also, Jam with the Band is extremely underrated and it's a crying shame it never saw a US release.

Kaputa

Brelston said:
Well, of course it's still one of the best games. It was when it came out two years ago. Not like it can cease to be one of the best games for the system, right?
Well, sure it could. When Canvas Curse came out the DS's library wasn't nearly as strong, so being one of the best games on the system was a much easier feat than it is now.

Regardless, Canvas Curse was and is one of the best DS games. Shame Squeak Squad was so mediocre.

Christine

I liked it a whole lot, but I haven't played in over a year. I'll have to go try some of the challenges again. Some of them are just nuts.

its no kirby's dreamland, but its a great game with some challenging and diverse platforming [if it can be called that]

as far as touch control games go, i like touch and go better

creativity said:
Man, I love this game. The music is so great that I've started it up just for the sound test feature. :lol

truth! some very nice snes remenescent compositions going on

jman2050

I WILL NOT LET THIS GO TO PAGE 2.

Also, including the classic Kirby soundtrack just for the heck of it was all sorts of win.

jgkspsx

Hey, I was going to post a lttp thread today! I just finished it yesterday. I put off picking it up for a while. Ended up getting a like-new copy from Amazon for $20. With a 99% complete save, which I didn't touch until I beat the game.

Well, it was a little too easy to beat (the boss, while fun to figure out, was totally trivial to beat once figured out), and the subboss minigame stages pretty much all sucked. (The breakout one coulda been much better.) But the music, level design, art, and mechanics were all ace. It's definitely the best use of a stylus for a traditional game design so far, and one of the top DS games as far as craftsmanship goes. I've never been able to stomach Kirby in earlier games (save Pinball Land - I must like him best as a sphere), but I'd consider picking up a sequel.

Edit: With real boss battles in each level, it would have been a real classic.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Sequel with the following:

- A boss for each world (doesn't mean they have to get rid of mini-games, but put real bosses in each one, because the final boss was AWESOME).

- A multiplayer mode that also uses NWFC support. The original game's controls (and mini-games) just died for some sort of multiplayer mode.

And that's uh.. really all they need to do. It's near perfect.

Amir0x

Banned
i agree this is one of the best games on DS. And it's one of the few that use the stylus centrally that i am able to enjoy. I approve of this message.

I love this game. It's such a shame they seem to have turned their back on the mechanic. Nintendo have a habit of doing that though.

The Hermit

omg rite said:

True fact.

Vic said:
One of the best DS OST so far. <3 the main menu track.

ikalugar said:
I love canvas curse! I really wish nintendo would make a sequel.

So fucking true!
All that should be said about this game already was...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kirby: Canvas Curse is still one of the best games on DS

True. And that's more a testament to KCC's awesome design, than it is a comment about the rest of the library!

mj1108

Zerodoppler said:

Olimario?

KCC is all kinds of awesome and win. If you don't own it, go buy it.

moku said:
AWDS added so little to the franchise. It was like playing an expansion pack. Plus the difficulty was way too much.

The best game is still Mario Kart DS or NSMB. But CC is pretty damn good in its own right.

Zynx

Honestly, pre-PH, I think this game is the best application of the touch screen for a game, with Ouendan/EBA a close second.

TheGreatDave said:
I love this game. It's such a shame they seem to have turned their back on the mechanic. Nintendo have a habit of doing that though.
Well, sales of the more traditional Kirby 'sequel' have blown past this one by far, so I think the game mechanic is dead. Which sucks, because it's far more creative than the tired regular Kirby 'platformer'.

PkunkFury

I love this game, in fact I'm disappointed Nintendo's internal teams haven't released anything comparable that uses the stylus to such an effect. This is one of the main reasons I look forward to Zelda.

Canvas Curse NEEDS a sequal. Did squeek squad outsell it? My guess is yes, but this is probably because CC hit well before the DS was popular

Zynx said:
Well, sales of the more traditional Kirby 'sequel' have blown past this one by far, so I think the game mechanic is dead. Which sucks, because it's far more creative than the tired regular Kirby 'platformer'.

Maybe, but the second game did have about 30 million more people to sell to (I'm pulling that number out my ass).

VerTiGo

Banned
As far as I'm concerned... Kirby Canvas Curse IS the very best DS game. One of the most refreshing gaming experiences I've ever had. And it bothers me that the more traditional Kirby DS platformer sold significantly better.

Top Bottom