• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DMarkMobile ES 1.1

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past

Proxycon was one of the graphics demos that made up Futuremark's 3DMark benchmarking suite for portable devices such as mobile phones. It was the most complex of the demos and was written to the OpenGL ES 1.1 API.

http://www.futuremark.com/download/files/video/3DMarkMobile06_Proxycon_640x480_ed.wmv

The most powerful portable device tested by Futuremark using 3DMarkMobile ES 1.1 was the Nokia N93 phone, able to run Proxycon at over 30 frames per second.

http://www.nordicwirelesswatch.com/wireless/story.html?story_id=5052

http://futuremark.com/bdp/certified/nokia/

KTallguy

Banned
Lazy8s said:
The most powerful portable device tested by Futuremark using 3DMarkMobile ES 1.1 was the Nokia N93 phone, able to run Proxycon at over 30 frames per second.

Then, after the demo concluded, the user started to make a call with the Nokia N93. A few seconds later, loud screams were heard, as the intense heat from the phone had burned the user's ear clean off.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The video does not represent actual speed or image quality you get on these devices, unfortunately.

It's not really that impressive either. I've seen much better on a PSP. The original Proxycon demo was far more advanced.

Lazy8s

The PSP is completely out of its class against the N93, literally and figuratively. Despite the PSP's chipset being for a completely different, much more expensive (multiple times as much silicon), and more power consuming class of device than mobile phones -- not to mention using a newer graphics processor, too, -- it still can't match the per-pixel lighting, anti-aliasing, and image quality capabilities of the N93.

Architectural features like orderly tiled memory access, deferred texturing, and decoupled pixel and vertex processing make the N93 processors far more effective than the PSP's.

While that video is a reference model for the demo and must obviously not represent the performance of a particular hardware, the N93 actually does push the demo at over 30 frames per second, does support 4xAA via multisampling+supersampling at a low penalty for mobile resolutions, does support full 32-bit precision color blending even in 16-bit buffers, and does support a high precision, floating point Z buffer.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Wow, all we need to know is how fast this bad boy runs it:
superkyro.jpg

than we can really feel like 1999 all over again

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The PSP is completely out of its class against the N93, literally and figuratively.

That really doesn't mean anything here as I wasn't comparing PSP to the Nokia hardware. Rather, I was noting that this particular demo in question is nothing special in the face of what we've already seen on PSP.

I was uncertain of this particular chipsets capabilities, however. Do you have examples of what it is really capable of? This demo at 30 fps isn't impressive to me.

edit - Wait, is that "N-Gage" relaunch based on this hardware? I saw a number of games running on that hardware and found none of them to be more impressive than an average PSP game (if that). The ONLY thing that caught my eye was the shader based water used in the fishing game.

Lazy8s

Besides that the PSP is not actually capable of the normal mapping nor image quality demonstrated in One: Who's Next and other new N-Gage games, judging cellphone game graphics by the standards of PSP games is like judging PSP games by the standards of laptops: a vast disparity in the sophistication of the processors' architectures must exist for the former to ever reach comparability to the latter.

I wonder if my N80 has the same PowerVR chipset... because I would love to see that on my phone, if only to see how much technology has moved on.

ninge

Nerevar said:
Wow, all we need to know is how fast this bad boy runs it:
superkyro.jpg

than we can really feel like 1999 all over again

holy shit! that was 1999? now i really feel old :(

*wonders what portion of his life he has spent reading this damn forum*

K2000

monkeylite said:
I wonder if my N80 has the same PowerVR chipset... because I would love to see that on my phone, if only to see how much technology has moved on.

The N80 has a simples ARM9 at around 220Mhz without a 3D chipset.

N93/N95/E90 all have an ARM11 at 330Mhz (Aprox.) _AND_ a Power VR chipset.

"holy shit! that was 1999? now i really feel old :("

Look at the date, mang. 2000.

But damn that does feel like a long time ago. And yeah I feel old now too.

Dahym! It's just amazing how far mobile phones have come!

How do Japanese mobiles compare to this? I wouldn't be surprised if they've already surpassed the PS2 now!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nuclear Muffin said:
Dahym! It's just amazing how far mobile phones have come!

How do Japanese mobiles compare to this? I wouldn't be surprised if they've already surpassed the PS2 now!

I was playing Katamari Damacy on someones cell phone a few days go.

sp0rsk said:
I was playing Katamari Damacy on someones cell phone a few days go.

I just saw the pictures and wow! it looks amazing for a mobile!

How fast does it run, and how close would you say it looks to the PS2 game?

Lazy8s

The graphics of cellphone games are limited by abstracted APIs, network file size restrictions, and low game budgets much more than the phones' hardware performance.

The graphics features of the new N-Gage platform are built around the OpenGL ES 1.1 API, so they don't take full advantage of the underlying hardwares, such as the MBX's programmable vertex shading and curved surface rendering. Still, a demo which represents the capability of the platform better than that 3DMark benchmark is the one Nokia presented over two years ago at E3 2005.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9z7Z6teYm3I

A custom MBX demo, BraveNewWorld, shows off the hardware's class leading capability at skinning and ability for DOT3 per-pixel lighting.

http://focus.ti.com/en/multimedia/wtbu/bravenewworld.m1v

bravenewworld.jpg

Various MBX demos show off specific features of the hardware.

(some of the photos were unfortunately blown up beyond their original size)

Top Bottom