• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N-Gage Console Retrospective

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I played Sonic N and I remember not liking it
But I kinda saw potential for other games

baphomet

We already one of these threads.

And really, are you trying to make enough threads to cover the entire front page?

I lost my temper once and threw my N-Gage at the wall and it exploded into plastic shrapnel. On the bright side I didn't have to make a call with it ever again, but it did leave an N-Gage shaped dent in my dry wall.

They ported the NGage Splinter Cell Chaos Theory to the DS eventually, and I actually really liked it!

The performance was pretty terrible (ESPECIALLY with the night or heat vision goggles on), but since it's such a slow paced game it doesn't hurt the game too much. It actually played just like the console version since a lot of the interactions are context sensitive.

Celine

It released in 2002 for pre-orders, and released publicly in 2003.
Any proof?
To the best of my knowledge N-Gage was released in 2003. Full stop.

.Uh no the N-gage version looks nothing like that:
Are you tell me this GIF you posted was from the N-Gage KoF game?
Because I don't think so.

qxr7o0.gif

Sapiens

I was pretty blown away that this was doing tomb raider. Was this thing better or worse than the Ds in terms of horses power?

The point of my post (size proportion of the GIF) was that I believe the GIF you've posted in OP is not from the N-Gage versione of KoF.
You haven't responded to my questions yet.

Evasion.

yes, it's a gif captured from the device stretched out.

As you can see those graphics are similar to the video I posted. Just that is being recorded with the device so the lighting is bad.

baphomet

Evasion.

yes, it's a gif captured from the device stretched out.

As you can see those graphics are similar to the video I posted. Just that is being recorded with the device so the lighting is bad.

What are you even talking about? The gif above is the GBA. The N-Gage screen is vertical just like the original picture Celine posted. The video you posted off the actual N-Gage just proves that.

JordanN

Banned
I feel bad for being one of the people who dismissed it for being a taco.

I owned a GBA which had a lot of great games but the N-gage library also looks pretty interesting. It also being a mobile/handheld hybrid is something that is taken for granted now.

What are you even talking about? The gif above is the GBA. The N-Gage screen is vertical just like the original picture Celine posted. The video you posted off the actual N-Gage just proves that.

You must have never played the gba version because it doesn't animate as smooth and look as sharp.

Look at the YouTube video.

It is more likely that gif, which I found searching for n-gage version, is the n-gage version.

Even if it wasn't looking at the video above only the n-gage could run it that smoothly.

You are not, the gba game does indeed have 4. Its also way better.

The user I replied to said Sonic N did not have 4 characters, it did.

I never said Sonic N was better or worse than the GBA version, as my overview says, I don't really think much of either. The stage layout is bad regardless.

Celine

It is more likely that gif, which I found searching for n-gage version, is the n-gage version.
Look at the UI of the KoF gif you've posted in OP and compare to the game you have running on your N-Gage.
Are they the same?
Because I have my doubts.

Also can you lend me a source which says the N-Gage was released in 2002.
I'm curious because I distinctly remember it was released in 2003 (and unveiled at the end of 2002).

baphomet

You must have never played the gba version because it doesn't animate as smooth and look as sharp.

Look at the YouTube video.

Even if it wasn't looking at the video above only the n-gage could run it that smoothly.

Why look at the video when I verify on the actual hardware?

That gif is the GBA.

Seriously, saying only the N-Gage could run it that smoothly is ingnorant.

Glowsquid

There was a Warhammer 40k game on the system which had a very appropriate fitting subtitle, considering it was released after the N-Gage was discontinued and it was one of the best-reviewed game for it

The name in question? Warhammer 40k: Glory in Death

Peltz

Even though I collect many many retro systems, I'm comfortable with never owning this monstrosity. I always viewed this thing as worse than even the most frowned upon consoles like the Virtual Boy or the Game.com.

The form factor just screams "no" to me.

nicolajNN

I had one, I was laughed at once because of its size. I don't played much on it after I had enough of Tony Hawk. Games were pretty much impossible to find around these parts, I remember really wanting WWE Aftershock.

My memory might be faulty, but I think it was also one of very few phones to have a proper mp3 player built in, so I got plenty of use of that after I stopped playing on it.

goldenpp72

The user I replied to said Sonic N did not have 4 characters, it did.

I never said Sonic N was better or worse than the GBA version, as my overview says, I don't really think much of either. The stage layout is bad regardless.

The confusion is saying the game has an exclusive character when both have 4 characters, unless sonic N removed one and added another.

goldenpp72

Even though I collect many many retro systems, I'm comfortable with never owning this monstrosity. I always viewed this thing as worse than even the most frowned upon consoles like the Virtual Boy or the Game.com.

N-gage is superior to both, I own all 3 and wouldn't legitimately suggest any of them, but it's a fun but flawed little system.

Celine

You are going too far there lol
Despite me being uninterested in collecting for N-Gage, I think N-Gage game library and screen (despite the odd ratio) are far superior than Game.com.

KevinCow

Banned
I had an N-Gage. The two things I remember most about it:

1) Having to remove the battery to change games.

2) The 2 inch vertical screen that wasn't really designed with games in mind.

The only games I really remember playing were Rayman 3, which was great but not as good as the GBA version thanks to the N-Gage's tiny vertical screen, and Pandemonium, which was weird because it had no music.

I also remember playing some non-N-Gage phone games that I found online, like a Prince of Persia game and a Splinter Cell game that was surprisingly decent, though in retrospect I think they were actually pirated versions, but I didn't really know this at the time. I don't know how I found them, I just remember stumbling upon a site that had a bunch of games that I was able to download and play on my N-Gage.

And I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think I actually got it to run emulators for the NES and Gameboy?

Also, I distinctly remember browsing the IGN boards (which I frequented at the time) on it during school. It wasn't very good at it, but it was cool to have that capability at all in 2003.

Overall it wasn't a very good system, but I kinda wish I hadn't sold mine just for nostalgia reasons.

Thoraxes

I still have and love my N-gage.

I really enjoyed Xanadu Next and Tony Hawk on it. Both were super fun to play.

Now if I could just find where in my storage bins I put the thing, I'd like to play something on it again.

Top Bottom