• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some good mocktails or N/A beers

Billbofet

In an attempt to drink less, I have been experimenting with n/a beers, spirits/mocktails.

Some I have tried and enjoyed quite a bit for beer are Athletic Brewing Company's Free Wave Hazy IPA and Lakefront Brewery Riverwest Stein N/A.
I think both get you to about 80% of a true beer experience. I have tried other n/a beers, and most are pretty bad, so I'm looking for recommendations.

I also tried Seedlip Spice 94 non-alcoholic spirit. It's not a 1:1 replacement for any other spirit like gin or vodka, but it's been solid in both versions of a gin and tonic and a Moscow mule mocktail - this subbed as the spirit.
It has a very peppery note/finish, I think to mimic an alcohol burn, and I don't think you can fool yourself that this is an alcoholic beverage, but it gets you about 60-70% of the way to a cocktail experience.

Another method I have tried is making an Earl Grey syrup - 1 part sugar, 1 part water brought to a boil, then steeping three bags of Earl Grey for 20 minutes. From there, cool it down and refrigerate.
I used this syrup and made a solid drink. It was 1 1/2 oz. of the EG syrup, 3 oz. of grapefruit juice poured over ice, and topped with soda water. To me, this genuinely tasted like a cocktail. Very refreshing, but with a small bite at the end to mimic an alcoholic beverage.
Might sub the soda water with ginger beer to give it more zing/bite.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to drink less, so I'm reaching out to get other ideas and suggestions.

Cheers!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Athletic Brewing is pathetic, Guinness 0.0 is bad Heineken 0 is the one stand out and than there’s budweiser which is actually good.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
In an attempt to drink less
200.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
I actually think, and I can't believe I'm saying it, that Guinness 0 is not half bad. For a NA it is legit drinkable as it doesn't have that protein flavor a lot of them have. Ain't as good as real Guinness of course but passable.

But Guinness is already pretty low cal as it is a 4% beer already. I thought ultra amber was the best of the low cal beers.

ahtlas7

Buy 0 proof liquor and mix your cocktail as normal. All the taste, none of the fun.
Italian sodas are good complete alternative to sweet cocktails.

Toots

Gold Member
Virgin mojito is n/a, with the added benefice of helping you stay virgin as long as you drink them

Go get some hop tea or hop water. I find they occasionally scratch the beer itch. Also, Guinness 0.0% is dangerously close to real Guinness And only like 60 calories I think.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I like Athletic’s IPA and Blonde. Heineken 0.0 is fine enough when I’m at a restaurant carrying mainstream brews. Partake is decent and like 10 calories I believe. Carlsberg does one like Heineken, it’s fine. I like trying whatever local one a restaurant is carrying. In Toronto, Bellwoods Stay Classy IPA is excellent and they do a couple other options. Gruvi I like too, just not sure how distributed it is.

Top Bottom