• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

User (or news outlet?) creates APF 2K8 OJ Simpson video to harm Take-Two?

OK people . . . what happened here? From what I can tell, someone created a trailer with OJ Simpons highlights for APF 2K8. But the person put OJ on a generic team called "Assassins" and that team has a big anamatronic Assassin in their stadium that moves an arm with a knife when a touchdown is scored. As a poster belong indicated, it looks like Gametrailers.com made this video.

A reporter at the thestreet.com, a financial news outlet who had a large shareholder with a short position on Take-Two then posted a story about this video making a big deal out of this. Keep in mind that Simpsons is never shown with a knife, he is just shown playing football. And 2K Sports did not release this video (a fact not disclosed in the story and in fact the story implies otherwise).

Did someone create this video and then tell this reporter? (This reporter is not a videogame player . . . she's made many stupid mistakes in her articles that clearly show she does not know what she is talking about when writing about videogames.)

What do you think?

Disclosure: Yes, I own shares in TTWO . . . but something weird is definitely going on here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm cutting and pasting the story here because thestreet.com often changes their stories:

41484.jpg
4kwnubt.jpg

Take-Two Game Has O.J. Simpson -- and a Knife

By Priya Ganapati
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
7/20/2007 12:57 PM EDT

Video-game publisher Take-Two Interactive (TTWO - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr - Rating) has done it again.
The company, which has come under fire in the past for offensive content in its games, is now testing the taste barrier with its latest sports video game, All-Pro Football 2K8, which features O.J. Simpson, unquestionably America's most infamous athlete.

A game trailer on the Game Trailers Web site shows Simpson game highlights as his team, "The Assassins," moves down the field. Toward the end of the clip, Simpson scores a touchdown, prompting a large hooded mascot above the scoreboard to make stabbing motions with a large knife.

Game Trailers, a division of Viacom's (VIA - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr - Rating) MTV Networks, publishes video game trailers, previews, reviews from all publishers. {Speculawyer note: This video was not created by Take-Two but the preceeding sentence would imply otherwise.} Take-Two doesn't dispute that the Simpson clip represents the game's contents.

While the decision of Take-Two's 2K Sports label to include Simpson in the game, despite his past, could possibly be defended, considering his place in football history, it's unclear why the company would use a mascot that tries to play on Simpson's notoriety as the accused in the 1994 murder of his former wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Ron Goldman. {Speculawyer note: I don't believe that 2K Sports put OJ Simpsons on the 'Assassins' team. The creator of the video did that.}

Simpson was acquitted of the murders in 1995; two years later, a civil jury found him liable for the wrongful death of Goldman.

2K Sports' decision clearly reflects a lack of sensitivity and leaves the company open to accusations of bad taste, but, at its worst, it suggests an attempt to deliberately offend and use Simpson's past to profit and promote a video game that many parents would likely buy as a normal sports-game purchase.

All-Pro Football 2K8, which features 240 of football's best players, including legends such as Joe Montana and Walter Payton, is rated 'E10+' by the industry's Entertainment Software Ratings board, which means it's suitable for ages 10 and older. The game was released Tuesday.

Take-Two declined to answer specific questions relating to whether Simpson approved the use of the mascot in the game. But a company spokesperson forwarded a statement saying that the knifelike motion from the mascot is "not specifically associated with O.J. Simpson, and the game does not promote any such connection."

Fred Goldman, father of Ron Goldman who was killed along with Simpson's wife, Nicole Brown, through his lawyer David Cook declined to comment on the game. "This whole thing is just beyond any comment and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone," said Cook.

"As to whether Mr. Simpson is entitled to participate in any revenue stream based on the video and other rights, this matter is being studied," he said.

Take-Two also declined to reveal how much it has paid Simpson for the right to use his likeness in the game. But a video-game industry source estimates Take-Two could have paid Simpson anywhere between $50,000 and $125,000.

Shares of Take-Two were recently down 14 cents, or 0.6%, to $20.29.

This is hardly the first time that Take-Two has faced extensive criticism for poor judgment.

Last month, the company's game, Manhunt 2, was denied a rating by the British Board of Film Certification because of its violent content. Take-Two has suspended the game and has not indicated when it will release it again.

In 2005, the discovery of racy content in another Take-Two games, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, had many retailers pulling the games off shelves until the company removed the offending portions of the game.

widgetraf

speculawyer said:
OK people . . . what happened here. From what I can tell, some user created a trailer with OJ Simpons highlights for APF 2K8. But the user put OJ on a generic team called "Assasins" and that team has a big anamatronic Assasin in their stadium that moves an arm with a knife when a touchdown is scored.

A reporter at the thestreet.com, a financial news outlet who had a large shareholder with a short position on Take-Two then posted a story about this video making a big deal out of this. Keep in mind that Simpons is never shown with a knife, he is just shown playing football. And 2K Sports did not release this video, it was user created.

Did someone create this video and then tell this reporter? (This reporter is not a videogame player . . . she's made many stupid mistakes in her articles that clearly show she does not know what she is talking about when writing about videogames.)

What do you think?

Disclosure: Yes, I own shares in TTWO . . . but something weird is definitely going on here.

the reporter is capitalizing on the opportunity to make a buck. the video is there so its not like its fraud, just an abuse of power imo.

Mrbob

Wow, what a horrible story by TheStreet. She should do some fact checking before accusing TTWO.

Also, I think that user created video is a jab at OJ and not TTWO.

I guess if this is all it takes for TheStreet to do its analysis, they shouldn't be used as a guide.

Mrbob

squicken said:
Take2 was stupid for putting OJ in the game. Whatever bad press they get, it's hard to feel sorry for them.

I dunno. What happened off the field is a tragedy, but on the field he is a legend. And since APF2k8 is about creating your own team with legend players, it would be worse to keep him out.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy shit, you can make animatronic whatevers in your stadiums??? I AM SO GONNA BUY THIS.

no, you cant

It is on the drawing board for 2k10* though, as said in the GS stage demo

* yea, the game will be bi annual if it sells well

mr_nothin

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
yeah, they are stupid for putting a FOOTBALL LEGEND in a football game!
Yea...and we should be ashamed that Mic Jackson has his own game and is featured in space channel 5:lol

Grecco

Theres a Team in this game called the Assasins? And their mascot is a hooded african american with a knife?

squicken

yeah, they are stupid for putting a FOOTBALL LEGEND in a football game!

This a video game, not a sports almanac. There are larger considerations, especially in light of Take2's already shaky reputation. It was a dumb thing to do. I see you and Mr. Bob's point, I just think Take2 should have had the foresight to realize the potential for ugliness this would cause.

squicken said:
This a video game, not a sports almanac. There are larger considerations, especially in light of Take2's already shaky reputation. It was a dumb thing to do. I see you and Mr. Bob's point, I just think Take2 should have had the foresight to realize the potential for ugliness this would cause.

OJ Simpson was not guilty tho...

Kintaco

How are teams handled in the game? Are they randomized or do the players have a permanent team that they belong to. If they have a permanent team, please tell me O.J. is not in the Assassins team.

ElectricBlue187 said:
i bet that video is hilarious
Watch it . . . Click here

It is just football game video with the animatronic assassin shown at the end.

The question is . . . was this just a funny joke video posted by some videogame player who thought it would be funny to put OJ on the Assassins . . . or was it someone who wanted a hit piece on TTWO that made it and then notified a reporter?

I doubt we will ever know for sure . . . but by my experience with thestreet.com, I'm pretty sure it was the latter.

Kintaco said:
How are teams handled in the game? Are they randomized or do the players have a permanent team that they belong to. If they have a permanent team, please tell me O.J. is not in the Assassins team.

That is a really good question and I'm honestly not sure. I'll check that when I get home. But I am 100% certain that the video is showing a user-created 'Assasins' team with OJ on it since the video shows the user playing as OJ and you cannot play as one of the CPU teams. But if 2K Sports put OJ on permanent Assasins team, that would be a bit tasteless.

squicken said:

Yeah, really. I mean I get it, in terms of the product, he obviously makes sense. In terms of marketing the product, it's not a good move.

everyone should make E rated games, since a higher rating affects them negatively!

some people don't let pesky things like facts and verdicts get in their way...

I don't think anyone is making the point that games need to be whitewashed, just that they should be prepared for the consequences of something like this.

If Take 2 is willing to accept the fact that including him might cause a negative response, then that's fine. They can do whatever they want. But don't act surprised when people don't just gloss over the idea of a giant knife wielding mascot stabbing at the air after OJ scores.

mood

everyone should make E rated games, since a higher rating affects them negatively!

APF is already in a tough position without any of this negative press, why pile on potential problems for yourself? All Im saying is this wouldnt have happened at all if Simpson wasnt in the game.

mood said:
APF is already in a tough position without any of this negative press, why pile on potential problems for yourself? All Im saying is this wouldnt have happened at all if Simpson wasnt in the game.

thay had enough trouble as it is getting retired pros to allow them to put them in the game, many are missing and another one gone would've been a bigger deal than your letting on. You can't pass up OJ Simpson in that situation

Nick Bean

Banned
I think it is pretty funny in a very grim sort of way. Personally I have never gone to TheStreet.com for any news on anything, so I would bet that this will blow over w/o any more waves than the people here at GAF think we make.

Edit: Two more things:

1) He was declared innocent in a court of law (whether any one believes it or not).

2) He is one of the best football players and best known people in the US. He is a global Icon for many reasons, and not putting him the game would have been moronic.

Scrubking

With so much R* and T2 hate you would think that they are engaged in some sort of scheme to steal your games or break your consoles.

mood

ElectricBlue187 said:
thay had enough trouble as it is getting retired pros to allow them to put them in the game, many are missing and another one gone would've been a bigger deal than your letting on. You can't pass up OJ Simpson in that situation

I don't think so, but I guess TTWO did. I just don't see people crying and not buying the game if OJ wasn't in it from the beginning.

Nick Bean said:
I think it is pretty funny in a very grim sort of way. Personally I have never gone to TheStreet.com for any news on anything, so I would bet that this will blow over w/o any more waves than the people here at GAF think we make.

Well, the thing is that thestreet.com syndicates their stories. For example, if you go to Yahoo to learn about TTWO, you'll see this as a headline "Take-Two Game Has O.J. Simpson -- and a Knife" . . . that is even worse . . . you don't even know that it is a football game. All you get is Take-Two, game, OJ Simpson, knife.

MassiveAttack said:
The biggest trouble with this is simply that 2K had to pay Simpson something to put him in the game. One penny would be too much.

They should have signed the deal but then given the payments directly to Goldman's family.

MassiveAttack said:
The biggest trouble with this is simply that 2K had to pay Simpson something to put him in the game. One penny would be too much.

I disagree, this is Oj Simpson the football player. You know the time before the murders when OJ was a movie star, Hall of Fame HB and a NFL broadcaster.

Now if this was a based on serial killers starting Oj, then you might have something.

Nick Bean said:

Edit: Two more things:

1) He was declared innocent in a court of law (whether any one believes it or not).

2) He is one of the best football players and best known people in the US. He is a global Icon for many reasons, and not putting him the game would have been moronic.

I'll take whatever flack for saying it, but his innocence is irrelevant in the context. It matters on the question of whether to send him to jail.

When you're talking about selling a product, all that matters is the public perception.

I mean I think some of you are getting on the point of whether or not people should have an unfavorable opinion of him, which is a separate debate to some extent. He's a formerly great athlete, and never been convicted of murder. That's 2 things he has in common with Michael Jordan. That's great.

But it doesn't change the fact that people do have an unfavorable opinion of him, and that's the reality Take 2 is working with. And until he finds the real killer to clear his name, that's something any company looking to make anything remotely tied to O.J. has to deal with

FitzOfRage said:
But it doesn't change the fact that people do have an unfavorable opinion of him, and that's the reality Take 2 is working with. And until he finds the real killer to clear his name, that's something any company looking to make anything remotely tied to O.J. has to deal with

TTWO clearly made a difficult decision by licensing him. He does have a huge negative association . . . but he certainly was a great footbal legend. And he probably wasn't all that expensive to get a license from. :lol I understand if people harass TTWO about licensing OJ . . . that was the decision they made.

However, I do think they are now getting treated unfairly by some outfit that is making a big deal out of a user-created video that they imply is from the company which makes a link that is not in the game until the user creates it. (Putting OJ on a team called the 'Assassins'.)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
speculawyer said:
OK people . . . what happened here? From what I can tell, some user created a trailer with OJ Simpons highlights for APF 2K8. But the user put OJ on a generic team called "Assasins" and that team has a big anamatronic Assasin in their stadium that moves an arm with a knife when a touchdown is scored.

A reporter at the thestreet.com, a financial news outlet who had a large shareholder with a short position on Take-Two then posted a story about this video making a big deal out of this. Keep in mind that Simpsons is never shown with a knife, he is just shown playing football. And 2K Sports did not release this video, it was user created (a fact not disclosed in the story and in fact the story implies otherwise)

Did someone create this video
and then tell this reporter? (This reporter is not a videogame player . . . she's made many stupid mistakes in her articles that clearly show she does not know what she is talking about when writing about videogames.)

Game Trailers, a division of Viacom's (VIA - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr - Rating) MTV Networks, publishes video game trailers, previews, reviews from all publishers. {Speculawyer note: This video was user created but the preceeding sentence would imply otherwise.} Take-Two doesn't dispute that the Simpson clip represents the game's contents.

Maybe I'm missing something, but all the evidence points to either GT creating the video or T2 providing it.

1.) The trailer starts off and ends with the GT logo. None of their user created videos do that.
2.) The trailer is available in QT and WMV. AFAIK, their user created videos are only presented in flash.
3.) The trailer is available in freaking GTHD.
4.) The trailer is under the "Gameplay" category, not the User Movies category.

CaptureGT.jpg

Either way, I agree with you that the article is stupid. :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Killthee said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but all the evidence points to either GT creating the video or T2 providing it.

1.) The trailer starts off and ends with the GT logo. None of their user created videos do that.
2.) The trailer is available in QT and WMV. AFAIK, their user created videos are only presented in flash.

CaptureGT.jpg

"Michael Vick takes the defense to the pound".

Nice.

Killthee said:

I think you are right . . . I just know it isn't one of the official TTWO videos, so I assumed it was user-generated. But I guess there is a third possibility . . . game trailers creates their own trailers and puts them up.

I've updated my original post to reflect that.

Branduil

Killthee said:

CaptureGT.jpg

Michael Vick takes the defense to the pound.
673qdc5.jpg

Mrbob

Kintaco said:

There is no such thing as a permanent team in APF2K8. You make your own team.

The legend players are set up into tiers: gold, bronze, and silver. You pick 2 gold, 3 silver, and 6 bronze legend players to make up your team. You can edit many things too, including the name. Assassins is a default name, but it can be changed. There are also 15 other teams you can choose from, with each one you can edit the city and name of. The game is highly customizable.

Top Bottom