• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Football Prediction League 2007-2008 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're starting up the 2007-2008 Football Prediction League this weekend with the Community Shield. We'll be keeping track all season long on this thread to see how well people can predict results. We decided to keep this thread separate from the Official Football (Soccer) thread to keep unnecessary clutter out of the way for people that don't want to read about this there.

In order to keep the accounting manageable, we'll only be picking results for five games each week. These will primarily be from the Premiership, but we'll also add in Champions League games and FA Cup ties to spice things up. The rules, courtesy of Mama Smurf, are listed below. We may need to tweak the rules slightly during the season if something unforeseen comes up, but for the most part they'll look like what we have listed below. First deadline is this Sunday, so get your predictions in soon!

======================
GAF Football Prediction League Entrants for 2007-2008:
Cornballer
hadareud
mama smurf
psycho_snake
h0pper
lakitu
Fowler
Steroyd
phfresno
Ghost
DCharlie
zoolaga
Ronok
Ryck
Wes
Shinobi
Outdoor Miner
Osorio
Tim the Wiz
The Fink Tank(?)
navanman
Cedeo
jamesinclair
King Gondo
Blaburn
Allen
Phantom
jerrymaguire

Leave a post below if you want to be added to the list.

======================
PREDICTION LEAGUE RULES

- 2 points for every correct result (ie win, lose or draw). 1 extra point (for a total of 3) for the correct scoreline.

- 5 correct results earns 1 extra point. 5 correct score lines gets 1 further extra point.

- 17 total points possible in a week.

- In the event of penalties, the result at the end of extra-time counts.

- In fixtures over 2 legs, it's the result on the night you're predicting, not the team to go through.

MATCHES COVERED

- 5 matches for each set of games. A set of games is defined as Community Shield, Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League (not qualifying) fixtures.

- At least one game from each competition should be chosen when available.

- Only FA Cup matches involving at least one Premiership team may be chosen.

- In the event of a week with less than 5 matches, as many matches as possible will be chosen.

RULES FOR CHOOSING MATCHES

- The first set of matches will be chosen by Cornballer (the set of fixtures after the Community Shield).

- Thereafter, the person who got the most points that week will choose the games for the next week, unless they've already chosen.

- If someone doesn't want to choose the next matches, or is unable to, the choice goes to the person with the next amount of points.

- Once every person in the league has chosen (even if they've chosen to skip their turn), that's the established order for picking matches that we'll stick with.

- See "MATCHES COVERED" for details on which teams can be picked.

- Choices for predicted matches must be available by the Wednesday before that week's set of fixtures, ie. choices for the 11th-17th August must be in by Wednesday 8th August.

- You can discuss who you might pick to predict, but once you've picked 5 fixtures and said they're final, you can't change them, unless a fixture you've chosen is postponed.

- You can pick the odd obscure game of course, but if there's a big match coming up, for example Arsenal - Man Utd, make sure you pick it as people are going to want to predict it.

- In the event of a general outcry at a game not being picked, that game will be installed in place of another.

RULES FOR PREDICTING

- Only games chosen for that week can be predicted, any others won't count.

- Choose a scoreline for all 5 fixtures.

- You're free to change your predictions right up until kick off of the match, but once the whistle goes, your last predictions submitted are set.

- If you fail to predict, you will receive no points.
==========================

163fs469537.jpg
163fs470290.jpg
163fs470481.jpg

FIRST DEADLINE FOR PREDICTIONS
Sunday, August 5th, 3pm (UK time)
Man Utd - Chelsea

Community Shield (and to remove any ambiguity, it's at Wembley so a neutral location)

163fs326035.jpg

Please note the rule from above:
- In the event of penalties, the result at the end of extra-time counts.
==================
Predictions:

Lakitu: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
Ryck: ManU 3 - 1 Chelsea
h0pper: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
Ronok: ManU 1 - 0 Chelsea
psycho_snake: ManU 1 - 1 Chelsea
Outdoor Miner: ManU 0 - 1 Chelsea
Ghost: ManU 1 - 0 Chelsea
Osorio: ManU 2 - 0 Chelsea
Tim the Wiz: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
Mama Smurf: ManU 1 - 2 Chelsea
navanman: ManU 2 - 0 Chelsea
Cedeo: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
Zoolaga: ManU 2 - 2 Chelsea
hadareud: ManU 0 - 1 Chelsea
Fowler: ManU 1 - 1 Chelsea
jamesinclair: ManU 0 - 0 Chelsea
Wes: ManU 3 - 2 Chelsea
King Gondo: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
Blaburn: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
Cornballer: ManU 2 - 2 Chelsea
Allen: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
Phantom: ManU 2 - 2 Chelsea
DCharlie: ManU 2 - 1 Chelsea
jerrymaguire: ManU 1 - 1 Chelsea

Post below if you want to add/change your prediction, just make sure to get it in before kickoff on Sunday.
==================

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Early prediction in case my net crashes or something on Sunday, might change it before then:

Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I really dont know who to pick. I think both teams are pretty equal.

I'm going to go for 1-1 and United win on penalties. So would that count as 2-1 to United?

psycho_snake said:
I really dont know who to pick. I think both teams are pretty equal.

I'm going to go for 1-1 and United win on penalties. So would that count as 2-1 to United?
No, that counts as 1-1. We disregard the penalties for scoring purposes.

EDIT: Let me know if you want 1-1 or 2-1....

Done and done.

If anyone wants to take care of tracking down the Fink Tank predictions every week, I'd appreciate it. It'd save me a bit of time. Not sure if they're going to look at the Community Shield, though.

I might as well join. I dont follow the EPL at all, and the only games I watch with english teams are Champions League games, but perhaps that'll give me an unbiased advantage.

Man Utd 0-0 Chelsea

I'm still missing predictions from: Steroyd, phfresno, DCharlie, Ronok, Shinobi, and The Fink Tank entry. Oh yeah, I should do mine soon, too.

psycho_snake

Cornballer said:
I'm still missing predictions from: Steroyd, phfresno, DCharlie, Ronok, Shinobi, and The Fink Tank entry. Oh yeah, I should do mine soon, too.
you should send PM's to those people.

Ok, I sent PM's to everyone who hasn't put in a prediction except for Steroyd, who doesn't accept PM's.

Mama - do you know where the Fink Tank is going on this one?

I'll also put down my prediction for 2-2.

Mama Smurf

Cornballer said:
Mama - do you know where the Fink Tank is going on this one?

Might not be able to use the Fink Tank for this after all. They've changed it this season, and I can't select a neutral venue anymore, just home or away. They don't have European sides either, so it can't do the CL predictions.

I've emailed them complaining though, so hopefully I'll get a reply.

Mama Smurf

Zoolaga said:
According to the Telegraph this is the lineups tomorrow.

I don't think that Chelsea team is right. I'm almost certain Sidwell will play, and if Essien is fit enough Mikel will drop out, otherwise I guess the other way round.

Mama Smurf

Heard the team news, though annoyingly didn't mention everyone, and those teams are completely wrong.

So I'm changing my prediction to 2-1 to Man Utd.

psycho_snake

This is what the prediction league looks like

Fowler 3
Jerrymaguire 3
psycho_snake 3
--------------------------
Cornballer 2
Jamesinclair 2
Phantom 2
Zoolaga 2
Allen 0
Blaburn 0
Cedeo 0
Cuckooo 0
DCharlie 0
FFChris 0
Ghost 0
Hadareud 0
h0pper 0
King Gondo 0
Lakitu 0
Mama Smurf 0
Navaman 0
Outdoor Miner 0
Osorio 0
Ryck 0
Shinobi 0
Tim the Wiz 0
Wes 0

Fowler

psycho_snake said:
This is what the prediction league looks like

Fowler 3
Jerrymaguire 3
psycho_snake 3
Cornballer 2
Jamesinclair 2
Phantom 2
Zoolaga 2
Allen 0
Blaburn 0
Cedeo 0
Cuckooo 0
DCharlie 0
FFChris 0
Ghost 0
Hadareud 0
h0pper 0
King Gondo 0
Lakitu 0
Mama Smurf 0
Navaman 0
Outdoor Miner 0
Osorio 0
Ryck 0
Shinobi 0
Tim the Wiz 0
Wes 0

Since there are three of us tied for the lead, and the winner of the last round is supposed to pick fixtures for the next... I propose that the person who put the correct pick in first wins. So that'd be you, psychosnake. Objections?

psycho_snake

Fowler said:
Since there are three of us tied for the lead, and the winner of the last round is supposed to pick fixtures for the next... I propose that the person who put the correct pick in first wins. So that'd be you, psychosnake. Objections?
Well as mama pointed out, the CS is an exception. We agreed that cornballer would pick the first fixtures, which is fair because he's the one that came up with this idea.

Fowler said:

pick away... i'm probably the lease knowledgable here on football, i'd be happy just to be included in this game. =)

Nice - at least I got something out of the CS. I'll tally up the results tomorrow (though pyscho already handled that) and put out my proposal for next week's five matches just to see if there are any major objections with my picks.

Lakitu

st5fu
I won't be able to post this week's predictions as I'll be away with the gf for a week... and weekend, first PL opening weekend :( great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom