• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong 64 coming to DS?

Rocked

Sorry if this has been posted, but the new issue of Ngamer has come out in the UK and a reader wrote a letter asking if Donkey Kong 64 could come out on the Wii Virtual Console considering the expansion pack. The magazine says the latest whisperings from Rareware suggests it's more likely to show up on the DS.

Ngamer is probably the most respectable N mag in the UK and Rares Wil Overton does the odd bit of art for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. I can't remember too much about the single player game, but I know the multiplayer was a laugh. :D

It seems to look quite a bit better than most DS games still, if my memory serves. At least lighting and stuff. I'd be surprised.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sypher said:
WAIT!

There was a Donkey Kong 64?!

I can't tell if you honestly missed out on DK64 or you're just so disgusted with the collectathon that you had it erased from your memory.

I remember really not liking DK64 when I played it, at this point I just remember slow and clunky controls and needing to collect too many things.

sypher said:
WAIT!

There was a Donkey Kong 64?!
Off course. It's the one that had a framerate of around 20fps. Actually that's when it was good. Also it required a Expansion pack. If I remember correctly it was a highly regarded game.

EDIT: Haha, we just derailed this thread, without even breaking a sweat. Well done sypher.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Of course it could come on VC - BigN owns the DK IP and so all DK Games....

Rocked

kay said:
Okay game but didn't live up to its predecessor (3) at all.

Donkey Kong Country 3 didn't live up to it's predecessors either. ;) Always thought it was the weakest game in the trilogy.

kay

TheGreatDave said:
I preferred it to the DKC games without question. I'm part of the silent minority in this one though.

Too much character switching.. too much like Banjo Kazooie. I liked it but it's sort of like going from SMRPG to Paper Mario.. just not the same.

Rocked said:
Donkey Kong Country 3 didn't live up to it's predecessors either. ;) Always thought it was the weakest game in the trilogy.

Agreed. If fails with the OST.

Probably because Donkey Kong Country II's OST is still in my top 5 of the best Soundtrack ever. Almost every melody was memorable. DKCIII, instead,....

But the design and art of the III were incredible as well.

Barnolde

Banned
N64, $200
DK64 with expansion pak, $60
Spending 65 hours to get 101%, priceless.

What a ****ing waste of a summer that was.

MCD

Barnolde said:
N64, $200
DK64 with expansion pak, $60
Spending 65 hours to get 101%, priceless.

What a ****ing waste of a summer that was.

I actually did all that.

is this sad?

kay

Rocked said:
Yeah but technically it was the best, looked great for SNES. There was just more stuff even though 1 and 2 were more satisfying to play. I think the bears ruined it :lol

kay said:
Too much character switching.. too much like Banjo Kazooie. I liked it but it's sort of like going from SMRPG to Paper Mario.. just not the same.

Seeing as going from SMRPG to Paper Mario is preferable, I agree!

I was a big platformer fan at the time, so I'd take what I could get. I'm not sure I'd play it again now, where-as the old DKC hold up better in a technical sense.

painey

i remember playing the awful multiplayer mode around my friends. I could never play it myself because I didnt have the add on pack for my n64.

rezuth

Put this shit back in the toilet and give me Paper Mario DS. This game would fit the touchscreen so great and the upper screen could be a statsscreen.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Agreed. If fails with the OST.

Probably because Donkey Kong Country II's OST is still in my top 5 of the best Soundtrack ever. Almost every melody was memorable. DKCIII, instead,....

And that's because David Wise didn't compose the vast majority of it, sadly. He re-did the entire soundtrack for the GBA port, and although not as good as his previous efforts, it kills the SNES one.

Magicpaint said:
DK64 rocks. Stop the hate you nutters! :p

I enjoyed it. It was not that great, but not that bad either. Banjo-Kazooie was clearly better. It failed slighty with the OST (well, the theme of frantic factory was one of the best of the generation, but it was more or less the only one truly memorable); it failed with the framerate and the passage 2D (AAA++) to 3D. But it was not that bad. It had great gameplay, great worlds and great graphics at the time. And King K. Rool was really amusing. :lol

santouras

McDragon said:
I actually did all that.

is this sad?
I got all 201 banana's as well, mainly to see the hidden ending, which was actually pretty funny. The game looked fantastic but I would never, ever, ever play it on DS. IMO Mario64 was unplayable because of no analog and when you couple that with the worst colectathon known to mankind you have a recipe for disaster

AtomicShroom said:
And that's because David Wise didn't compose the vast majority of it, sadly. He re-did the entire soundtrack for the GBA port, and although not as good as his previous efforts, it kills the SNES one.

Didn't know it. Thanks for the info. David Wise was (is !) really talented, alongside with Kirchhope.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I enjoyed it. It was not that great, but not that bad either. Banjo-Kazooie was clearly better. It failed slighty with the OST (well, the theme of frantic factory was one of the best of the generation); it failed with the framerate and the passage 2D (AAA++) to 3D. But it was not that bad. It had great gameplay, great worlds and great graphics at the time. And King K. Rool was really amusing. :lol
What annoyed me the most was the fact that each Kong had their own fricking bananas to collect. Tedious as hell.

But it looked great and was varied enough to keep me going. Not as good as the 2D ones, but not bad in anyway.

MCD

Barnolde said:
I was after beating it, then I get Perfect Dark and all was well between me and Rare. :D

I wasn't sad myself, i actually enjoyed unlocking everything in the game.

Banjo-Tooie on the other hand...i stopped half way though it for some reason.

LaneDS

Magicpaint said:
What annoyed me the most was the fact that each Kong had their own fricking bananas to collect. Tedious as hell.

This is exactly my problem with the game. It would have been great if you didn't have to play through each level five times. That absolutely killed it for me.

koam

Donkey Kong 64 was alright, people here just make it sound worse than what it was. SFA was a far worse collectathon than dk64

Barnolde

Banned
McDragon said:
I wasn't sad myself, i actually enjoyed unlocking everything in the game.

Banjo-Tooie on the other hand...i stopped half way though it for some reason.

I was sad that there was nothing else to do because the multiplayer sucked. I was like 11 and it was summer, I had nothing better to do, so yeah, I had fun.

Magicpaint said:

But it looked great and was varied enough to keep me going. Not as good as the 2D ones, but not bad in anyway.

Agreed. Tedious is the right word. In practice, you had to make one single world 5 times. Even if sometimes you saw some new areas, it was definitely boring. Charcters, on the other hand, were excellent: Snide for example.

Well, up and down about this game.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Here, here, here we go,
So they're finally here performing for you,
If you know the words you can join in too,
Put your hands togeather if you want to clap,
As we take you through this monkey rap,

Huh!!
DK, Donkey Kong!!

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well,
He's finally back, to kick some tail,
His coconut gun can fire in spurts,
If he shoots ya, it's gunna hurt,
He's bigger, faster and stronger too,
He's the first member of the DK crew!

Huh!!
DK, Donkey Kong!!
DK, Donkey Kong is here!!

This Kong's got style, so listen up dudes,
Shecan shrink in size to suit her mood,
She's quick and nimble when she needs to be,
She can flout through the air and climb up trees,
If you choose her, you'll not choose wrong,
With a skip and a hop, she's one cool Kong!

Huh!!
DK, Donkey Kong!!

He has no style, he has no grace,
This Kong has a funny face,
He can handstand when he needs to,
And stretch his arms out just for you,
Inflate himself just like a baloon,
This crazy Kong just digs this tune!

Huh!!
DK, Donkey Kong!!
DK, Donkey Kong is here!!

He's back again and about time too,
And this time he's in the mood,
He can fly real high with his jetpack on,
With his pistols out he's one tough Kong,
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune,
But Kremlings beware 'cause he's after you!

Huh!!
DK, Donkey Kong!!
Huh!!

Finally he's here, he's here for you,
It's the last member of the DK crew,
This Kong's so strong, it isn't funny,
He'll make a Kremling cry out for mummy,
He can pick up a boulder with relative ease,
Makes crushing rocks seem such a breeze,
He may move slow, he can't jump high,
But this Kong is one heck of a guy!

Huh!!

C'mon Cranky take it to the fridge!

Walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells,
Grapes, melons, oranges and coconut shells,
Walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells,
Grapes, melons, oranges and coconut shells,

Oh yeah!!

kay

koam said:
Donkey Kong 64 was alright, people here just make it sound worse than what it was. SFA was a far worse collectathon than dk64
It wasn't bad but it just is disappointing that it copied Banjo but made it more annoying to play. If Banjo hadn't came out a few months earlier it probably would have been a fresh experience.

Maybe its just the nostalgia but I really enjoyed it, but then again I really like donkey kong so maybe I was just happy to play anything donkey kong related. I'd buy it again on ds if it comes out.

koam

kay said:
It wasn't bad but it just is disappointing that it copied Banjo but made it more annoying to play. If Banjo hadn't came out a few months earlier it probably would have been a fresh experience.

You know, that might be why. I never played Banjo.

jarrod

Banned
Virtual Console seems way more likely imo... the only reason DKR got a DS port instead, is that the N64 original is loaded with RARE/MS IPs, so Nintendo literally can't rerelease that version. Not the case for DK64...

DKC2 is still the best platformer Rare ever made and in the holy trinity of SNES platforming goodness. As far as collect-a-thon platformers go, this one did it right.

Everything else Rare have done with the DK license is either lacking (DKC), medicore (DKC3) or terrible (DK64)

Looks like the DS got the terrible one.

Top Bottom