• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Assassin's Creed Review Thread

Zapages

Posted Tue October 30 2007 21:42
Famitsu 360 (Not so be confused with regular Famitsu)

10,8,9,10 - 37/40
[Un-Deux edit: no magazine scans allowed, sorry.]

Quick summary:

•Story is totally engrossing, like a great movie.
•Feels like a real next-gen action game.
•One-button combat is somewhat unsatisfying, but will make the game accessible to more people.
•Story, worldview, presentation all top-notch.
•At times the map is hard to make out and there are bad camera angles. There are lots of little annoying things like that. (From the 8 review)
•The acrobatic play mechanics are totally addicting

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Un-Deux, W

Not bad for Famitsu right? I don't know how hard Famitsu 360 scores compared to the reuglar one....

Source: Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed forums

Didn't IGN say the online review embargo was up until the 13th November? Might be a while until we get a second review (no, the fake Empire review doesn't count).
That embargo is pretty close to release as well, almost on top of it in fact. Another reason why I have the fear over this game.

bigswords

Xrenity said:
It's based on countering, so it's more about timing than tapping the right buttons :)

That's like the classic prince of persia, don't see an issue. Damn this game will be good goddamn it!

herod

sionyboy said:
Didn't IGN say the online review embargo was up until the 13th November?

Does any site collate or list review embargo dates? That's a list I'd like to see!

Sectus

Just to clarify, the original Prince of Persia actually used 2 buttons for combat. Attack and parry.

I personally can't imagine how they can easily combine parrying and attacking onto the same key but so I suppose I'll just see how it works. If they remove blocking/parrying completely that could be rather interesting. (although, perhaps it's like free-running and as long as you hold down the button the game will fight for you :p)

painey

i just heard that this game has auto jump, like Zelda.. did I hear wrong? It seems awfully dumb if true..

Sectus said:
Just to clarify, the original Prince of Persia actually used 2 buttons for combat. Attack and parry.

I personally can't imagine how they can easily combine parrying and attacking onto the same key but so I suppose I'll just see how it works. If they remove blocking/parrying completely that could be rather interesting. (although, perhaps it's like free-running and as long as you hold down the button the game will fight for you :p)

Or you know it can be a combo with a modifier button.

JdFoX187

Banned
I thought the combat had something to do with hitting the right button at the right time. Like you could grab their legs with your hand button or kick them with a foot button. I don't know, the controls have always confused me.

Famitsu said:
•Feels like a real next-gen action game.

These types of statements always confuse me. What is a "next-gen" action game supposed to "feel" like? Is it supposed to be some radical change from titles on the previous consoles like, say, Jak and Daxter or Ninja Gaiden? I don't get it. Maybe I think too much. Lunch.

Anyways, good scores. I can't wait to play it.

Frenck

Banned
macksplack said:
One button combat? This needs more explanation.

It's NOT one button combat. The control scheme works like this:

(X360 controller)

Y = Head (Eagle vision and others things like dialogue, stuff you do with your head)
X = Armed Hand (Controls your blade, knives or whatever weapon you have)
B = Free Hand (You can throw people around, initiate grabs and other stuff)
A = Legs (Sprint, Free Running etc.)

Combat is based on timing, you have to wait for attack windows and initiate counter attacks.

disappeared said:
These types of statements always confuse me. What is a "next-gen" action game supposed to "feel" like?

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to make you feel as if you are being kicked in the groin many, many times.

Blader

Frenck said:
It's NOT one button combat. The control scheme works like this:

(X360 controller)

Y = Head (Eagle vision and others things like dialogue, stuff you do with your head)
X = Armed Hand (Controls your blade, knives or whatever weapon you have)
B = Free Hand (You can throw people around, initiate grabs and other stuff)
A = Legs (Sprint, Free Running etc.)

Combat is based on timing, you have to wait for attack windows and initiate counter attacks.

But...all of the combat functions are assigned to the X button. Hence, one button combat.

Sectus

Blader5489 said:
But...all of the combat functions are assigned to the X button. Hence, one button combat.
Perhaps you can do headbutts and karate kicks with the other buttons? :p

newsguy

U K Narayan said:
I'm pretty sure they are supposed to make you feel as if you are being kicked in the groin many, many times.

Funny thing is, I feel that way each time $60 are debited from my bank account.

Goldrusher

So can someone please explain to me how/what/when this game is about ?

I've heard people say it's 100% medieval times, but what about
the modern menu/HUD, the noise in the eagle vision, the comic book prologue set in 2012, etc.

Use spoiler tags if neccesary.

JdFoX187

Banned
Goldrusher said:

the modern menu/HUD, the noise in the eagle vision, the comic book prologue set in 2012, etc.

No one knows for certain. I remember reading about something to do with DNA of your ancestors. That was a long time ago though.

newsguy said:
Funny thing is, I feel that way each time $60 are debited from my bank account.

I wasn't implying anything in regards to a game's merit. I merely was curious as to what we should be expecting when the press use phrases like that, is all.

Frenck

Banned
Blader5489 said:

Actually, it's two button combat. You can use your free hand to grab enemies and throw them around.

As far as I know there is no block button though, you are always in a defensive stance and waiting for your turn.

EDIT:

@ Goldrusher

You are Desmond Miles, a guy who is being investigated and eventually abducted by a company named Abstergo Industries. The story takes place in 2012 and it turns out that Abstergo tries to access your genetic memories to get information about a mysterious secret society. Genetic memories are carried over to each new generation and one of your ancestors could possibly have the answers these guys are looking for.

Based on your genetic memories they try to recreate the time of the third crusades in a complex simulation. This process allows them to relive the life of Altair, a disgraced master assassin who needs to kill 9 shady people who basically run the crusades to further their own goals, to redeem himself. The guys he's hunting are somehow connected to the secret society that's still around in 2012.

Your health bar is basically more like a "synchronization bar", so if your performance isn't synchronous with actual history you get punished for it (reduction of health). If you die, it's labeled as a memory error that sets you back to a back up point.

That's not all there is to the game, we'll need to find out the rest of it ourselves.

newsguy

disappeared said:
I wasn't implying anything in regards to a game's merit. I merely was curious as to what we should be expecting when the press use phrases like that, is all.

Oh I was being funny, the bottom line is it's a cliche review sites have been using since this gen started. Remember the first year of the 360? Every other game was like "Next Gen is finally here!!!11" If it wasn't fight night it was GRAW, and the list goes on.

Richelieu

Goldrusher said:

Isn't it pretty common knowledge that the whole thing is
a simulation
a la
the Matrix
and or
the Suicide Squid
episode of Red Dwarf?
Like assassin training by going back into various periods of history and honing your skills without actually killing anyone.

I'm pretty sure that has been known for many months now, and I don't even follow this game closely.

Edit: Okay, I was a little off (and beaten), but not bad considering I haven't been paying attention.

FabCam

It had better be good. This is my November game, can't afford any others. I'm hoping the 40+ hours promised live up to Jade's words...

JdFoX187

Banned
Frenck said:
Actually, it's two button combat. You can use your free hand to grab enemies and throw them around.

As far as I know there is no block button though, you are always in a defensive stance and waiting for your turn.

EDIT:

@ Goldrusher

You are Desmond Miles, a guy who is being investigated and eventually abducted by a company named Abstergo Industries. The story takes place in 2012 and it turns out that Abstergo tries to access your genetic memories to get information about a mysterious secret society. Genetic memories are carried over to each new generation and one of your ancestors could possibly have the answers these guys are looking for.

Based on your genetic memories they try to recreate the time of the third crusades in a complex simulation. This process allows them to relive the life of Altair, a disgraced master assassin who needs to kill 9 shady people who basically run the crusades to further their own goals, to redeem himself. The guys he's hunting are somehow connected to the secret society that's still around in 2012.

Your health bar is basically more like a "synchronization bar", so if your performance isn't synchronous with actual history you get punished for it (reduction of health). If you die, it's labeled as a memory error that sets you back to a back up point.

That's not all there is to the game, we'll need to find out the rest of it ourselves.
That...actually sounds somewhat interesting.

OmonRa

The spoilered stuff isn't quite right, but close enough for now. The HOW of it all is answered fairly quickly. The WHY is something that evolves.

newsguy said:
Oh I was being funny, the bottom line is it's a cliche review sites have been using since this gen started. Remember the first year of the 360? Every other game was like "Next Gen is finally here!!!11" If it wasn't fight night it was GRAW, and the list goes on.

Well the might actually be right about fight night, its a very good game with nice visuals and gameplay that i personally never experience before. If not next gen it was certainly different. While graw on the other hand is rather generic, doesnt look too bad though.

Frenck

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
That...actually sounds somewhat interesting.

That's why they've been hiding it from us.

It's not like Ubisoft is interested in selling the game.

Seriously, AC has less of a marketing presence than Metroid Prime 3 had near it's release, which is less than none.

EDIT:

@ OmonRa

ZOMG!

You mean it's even better?

Top Bottom