• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Assassin's Creed Review Thread

Frenck said:
That's why they've been hiding it from us.

It's not like Ubisoft is interested in selling the game.

Seriously, AC has less of a marketing presence than Metroid Prime 3 had near it's release, which is less than none.

There is some online marketing, but i have no idea why they are treating it like such a niche title. Its as if they didnt sink in a couple of million into the project and a good deal of dev time.

Frenck

Banned
It's not like the game needs a giant marketing campaign, it deserves one. That's why I'm a bit frustrated.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Frenck said:
Actually, it's two button combat. You can use your free hand to grab enemies and throw them around.

As far as I know there is no block button though, you are always in a defensive stance and waiting for your turn.

EDIT:

@ Goldrusher

You are Desmond Miles, a guy who is being investigated and eventually abducted by a company named Abstergo Industries. The story takes place in 2012 and it turns out that Abstergo tries to access your genetic memories to get information about a mysterious secret society. Genetic memories are carried over to each new generation and one of your ancestors could possibly have the answers these guys are looking for.

Based on your genetic memories they try to recreate the time of the third crusades in a complex simulation. This process allows them to relive the life of Altair, a disgraced master assassin who needs to kill 9 shady people who basically run the crusades to further their own goals, to redeem himself. The guys he's hunting are somehow connected to the secret society that's still around in 2012.

Your health bar is basically more like a "synchronization bar", so if your performance isn't synchronous with actual history you get punished for it (reduction of health). If you die, it's labeled as a memory error that sets you back to a back up point.

That's not all there is to the game, we'll need to find out the rest of it ourselves.
Wow, that is the second best story I have heard for a game. DAMN!

Dachande

Frenck said:
EDIT:

@ Goldrusher

You are Desmond Miles, a guy who is being investigated and eventually abducted by a company named Abstergo Industries. The story takes place in 2012 and it turns out that Abstergo tries to access your genetic memories to get information about a mysterious secret society. Genetic memories are carried over to each new generation and one of your ancestors could possibly have the answers these guys are looking for.

Based on your genetic memories they try to recreate the time of the third crusades in a complex simulation. This process allows them to relive the life of Altair, a disgraced master assassin who needs to kill 9 shady people who basically run the crusades to further their own goals, to redeem himself. The guys he's hunting are somehow connected to the secret society that's still around in 2012.

Your health bar is basically more like a "synchronization bar", so if your performance isn't synchronous with actual history you get punished for it (reduction of health). If you die, it's labeled as a memory error that sets you back to a back up point.

That's not all there is to the game, we'll need to find out the rest of it ourselves.

That's excellent. I love it when logical reasoning is used to explain respawn points and health bars in games and this is some of the best behind both I've heard so far.

"Abstergo" is Latin for "cleanse away."
Not sure exactly what that means in the context of the story, but I'm sure it's intentional.

JdFoX187

Banned
It reminds me a lot of Lair. There was a lot of hype surrounding the game. And then everyone just shuts up immediately. I still liked Lair, but I hope this is good. I want it to sell well.

JdFoX187 said:
It reminds me a lot of Lair. There was a lot of hype surrounding the game. And then everyone just shuts up immediately. I still liked Lair, but I hope this is good. I want it to sell well.

Yeah, but Lair only had hype, because it was a PS3 exclusive. That's not the case with Assassin's Creed.

Kuroyume said:
Why is there no demo?

Their reasoning for no demo has been a mixture of "they were too busy trying to finish the actual game" and "it's impossible to isolate a section of the game's large environments for a demo."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Vyse The Legend said:
Their reasoning for no demo has been a mixture of "they were too busy trying to finish the actual game" and "it's impossible to isolate a section of the game's large environments for a demo."

i think it's a whole lot of column a, a little bit of column b. they seem to be really pressed for time on this one, but it's definitely going to rock.

Very nice that they simplified the combat somewhat compared to the PoP games. Sands of time got it just about right, but the sequels had to many combinations. Complicated combat doesn't belong in games like this.

If the story really is solid...this game really is going to be an excellent product. I really had very little interest in the PoP games, but this really does seem an ambitious project..if it hits the targets, it could be huge...certainly infinitely more interesting than SC

nelsonroyale said:
If the story really is solid...this game really is going to be an excellent product. I really had very little interest in the PoP games, but this really does seem an ambitious project..if it hits the targets, it could be huge...certainly infinitely more interesting than SC

once the whoring starts, it'll be just as boring...Splinter Cell 1, owned souls too

traveler

Not Wario
I haven't played a single Ubi Montreal game that I didn't think was awesome. Hopefully, it will remain that way.

RobertM

traveler said:
I haven't played a single Ubi Montreal game that I didn't think was awesome. Hopefully, it will remain that way.
I can point out some games you might not find awesome.

Snaku

Banned
traveler said:

Go give TMNT a rental. It's not bad per se, but it's no where in the realm of awesome.

Splatt

Bonfires Down said:
Very nice that they simplified the combat somewhat compared to the PoP games. Sands of time got it just about right, but the sequels had to many combinations. Complicated combat doesn't belong in games like this.

The combat in SoT sucked ass. You could use the same 2 combos to defeat every enemy in the game. Where is the fun in that?

Arguably, WW had the best combat engine. So brutal and so satisfying.

BitchTits said:
Where did this word come from? I only ever see it online, where the word addictive should be. Is this a real word now?!

ad·dict
tr.v. ad·dict·ed, ad·dict·ing, ad·dicts
1. To cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance: The thief was addicted to cocaine.
2. To occupy (oneself) with or involve (oneself) in something habitually or compulsively: The child was addicted to video games.
n. (dkt)
1. One who is addicted, as to narcotics or a compulsive activity.
2. A devoted adherent; a fan: "We are all . . . addicts of change" Christopher Lasch.

BitchTits said:
Where did this word come from? I only ever see it online, where the word addictive should be. Is this a real word now?!

:lol I've been wondering this too, it's a word, but it's not an adjective, which it seems to be used as.

Top Bottom