• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

I've been eating a lot of fish lately and pretty much cut any soda from my diet. My main liquid intake is water or reduced fat milk. I've also been trying to up my fruit/veggie intake.

I really need to start exercising again and I think I'll be on a pretty good diet/exercise routine.

As far as cutting carbs and not drinking OJ, that just seems weird to me. I feel like if you follow some nutrition basics (control portion size, eat fruits/veggies, cut back on soda/fried foods/fast food) with 3-4 exercise sessions in a week you should be fine. Telling people to "stay as far away from pasta" is just ridiculous.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm actually out of shape myself. I'm not fat, just I've lost definition.

I've been making moves to get the nutrition in order. I bought this protein powder from HEB (TX grocery) called BSN Syntha-6, and it is like candy. But the protein formula is pretty solid. It is a blend of various whey and caseins. It also has a little bit of egg and amino acid supplements. So freaking delicious to the point I look forward to drinking it. That'll make sure I get adequate protein and maintain an anabolic state.

I was wondering what some people do about fish oil supplements. I think I may go with Biotest flameout again

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Futureman said:
As far as cutting carbs and not drinking OJ, that just seems weird to me. I feel like if you follow some nutrition basics (control portion size, eat fruits/veggies, cut back on soda/fried foods/fast food) with 3-4 exercise sessions in a week you should be fine. Telling people to "stay as far away from pasta" is just ridiculous.
Why does it seem weird to you? What works, works. A low-carb diet is almost essential if you want to lose fat as fast as possible or lose stubborn fat that you've never been able to get rid of. We weren't meant to have so many carbs in our diet. Our society's unnecessarily high carb diet is the reason why so many people are carrying around so much extra fat despite "being healthy". And yes, OJ has lots of sugar and lots of calories for being something you can gulp down without affecting your hunger. OJ and all fruit juices should be drunk in moderation at most. The whole "telling people to stay away from XXXX is ridiculous, I wanna lose weight but barely change my diet" attitude is what keeps people from achieving the body they want. It takes sacrifice. You don't even have to stay away from that stuff completely, just 5-6 days of the week.

Also, raw eggs, and lots of them.

btw, some people can bulk up on a low-carb diet.

Futureman

The whole "lose fat as fast as possible" as you put it is also what keeps people from achieving the body they want. And I never said I want to "barely change my diet." That's pretty much the opposite of what I said.

If you follow moderation (as you said) and control portion size (as I said) there's no problem with eating pasta. You don't have to stay as far away as possible.

demon

Futureman said:
The whole "lose fat as fast as possible" as you put it is also what keeps people from achieving the body they want. And I never said I want to "barely change my diet." That's pretty much the opposite of what I said.

If you follow moderation (as you said) and control portion size (as I said) there's no problem with eating pasta. You don't have to stay as far away as possible.
As fast as possible, as much as possible, losing what you've never been able to lose, whatever.....you get the drift. It's not really up for debate. A low-carb, high-protein high-fat diet is the most effective way to lose fat. "Telling people to stay away from pasta is ridiculous" is ridiculous. Dropping really high-carb foods is the best way to lose weight. It's not bullshit or some fad just because the whole Atkins diet was all the rage on television a few years ago. If you're serious about losing fat and especially getting really cut, that's the best and most effective way to do it. And that's all I've been saying. Being in denial of what works ("dropping carbs sounds weird!") won't do you any good.

Gowans

you guys should have a graph and post your weight each week and make a game of it, id join in on that. :D

demon

Gowans007 said:
you guys should have a graph and post your weight each week and make a game of it, id join in on that. :D
Weight is only a measure of progress in getting fit if you're trying to lose 25 pounds or something. If you're lifting weights and trying to get rid of love handles or whatever, the scale is useless.

Futureman said:
I've been eating a lot of fish lately and pretty much cut any soda from my diet. My main liquid intake is water or reduced fat milk. I've also been trying to up my fruit/veggie intake.

I really need to start exercising again and I think I'll be on a pretty good diet/exercise routine.

The changes you've made sound good. But foods like OJ and pasta have a lot of simple carbs and just plain sugars in them, and that's not good. Most Americans have been told that eating a lot of breads and avoiding fats--loading up on muffins, cereals, and pasta--was the way to get healthy; I know that's the message I got. But it's just not true.

There is no concrete rule for diets. I had some spaghetti and pasta last night. BUT, I had just had a very intense workout, and it was a small handful of spaghetti with a half a pound of lean beef on top of it. And half of my dinners each week will be chicken with either rice or mixed vegetables. If you are carrying enough fat that you can't see your cheekbones, for example, then I'd say that you want to have as few breads and carbs as possible. It sucks at first, because that's what we're all used to, but it's still true.

Gowans007 said:

If we can add another graph with our squat, deadlift, and overhead press numbers, I'm in!

Gowans

demon said:
Weight is only a measure of progress in getting fit if you're trying to lose 25 pounds or something. If you're lifting weights and trying to get rid of love handles or whatever, the scale is useless.

yeah you got me, you will put it on anyway with muscle growth.

My gym key does all this cool shit that makes me want to beat it all the time its a cool little aid tho im leveling out now so I;ve took up swimming.

demon

devilscallmedad said:
What kind of food would that be ?
This is just one guideline, but I think a decent one.
http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/guidelines.htm

Also, here's an article (or rather interview) that should put at ease people who fear never being able to eat their favorite foods again.
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle...4C009135.hydra?id=1685372&cr=dietAndNutrition

Another thing- if you're serious about going low-carb and make the switch right away, your body's going to spend one or two weeks adjusting from using carbs as energy to fats, and you may feel a bit shitty for a week or so, almost like you've got a low-grade flu or something. I didn't take it seriously but it happened to me for around 5-6 days. I'm over it though. I actually feel like I have more energy now than I have the past several months. It's great.

devilscallmedad said:
What kind of food would that be ?

The really short answer is eggs, tuna, chicken, and lean beef.

If every meal you eat is based on one of those meats, plus vegetables, fruit, or brown rice, then you're 80% of the way there.

Futureman

demon said:
As fast as possible, as much as possible, losing what you've never been able to lose, whatever.....you get the drift. It's not really up for debate. A low-carb, high-protein high-fat diet is the most effective way to lose fat. "Telling people to stay away from pasta is ridiculous" is ridiculous. Dropping really high-carb foods is the best way to lose weight. It's not bullshit or some fad just because the whole Atkins diet was all the rage on television a few years ago. If you're serious about losing fat and especially getting really cut, that's the best and most effective way to do it. And that's all I've been saying. Being in denial of what works ("dropping carbs sounds weird!") won't do you any good.

Well I'm talking more about maintaining a healthy diet over a lifetime, you seem to be more bent on someone who wants to quickly lose 15 pounds. Whenever you push an idea like that, people will a lot of the time lose the weight and then gain it back when they fall off the diet.

Plus there's stuff out there like whole grain pastas, so just laying a blanket over the situation ("stay away from pasta!") is dumb.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've actually been losing a bit of weight lately without much exercise. Girlfriend has switched to a vegetarian diet and I'd probably call myself casual-vegie since I eat whatever she makes.

The only problem is at times I feel tired and dizzy due to no iron so either I pop the pills like her or I munch on raw mushrooms.

umm..this is a bit weird i have recently gotten into this weight loss stuff and by god its complex. I started last week searched a bit on the google which told be to cut down on number of calories i.e eggs, meats and now you guys are saying i should actually eat them ? Its confusing :lol

On a sidenote what i am trying to do here is lose the beerbelly i have developed ( i don't drink though ) but i am also rather skinny ( yea weird ). So is this better diet thingy the correct way of going about doing that ?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The gut is from storage of carbs that's turned into fat, as far as I've been told.

The most basic thing is to go low carb diet and exercise at least once every two days. The fat will get burnt off.

devilscallmedad said:
umm..this is a bit weird i have recently gotten into this weight loss stuff and by god its complex. I started last week searched a bit on the google which told be to cut down on number of calories i.e eggs, meats and now you guys are saying i should actually eat them ? Its confusing :lol

On a sidenote what i am trying to do here is lose the beerbelly i have developed ( i don't drink though ) but i am also rather skinny ( yea weird ). So is this better diet thingy the correct way of going about doing that ?

There's a diet for every day of the year. Remember, if you come up with a new diet you can sell a new book for it. The type of diet I and some others are talking about here is more geared toward athletics--being lean, strong, and fast at the same time. If your only goal is to weigh less, than you can do that by cutting your calories way down, but it's not very healthy [I don't think] and it wouldn't really be very "fit."

If you follow a high protein, low carb diet and exercise several times a week, yes, I think that you'll lose the belly and thicken up in the right places too. If you have a fat belly and are skinny elsewhere, we call that "skinny fat." And yes, that's the real term.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
demon said:
Also, raw eggs, and lots of them.

The body only absorbs ~50% of the actual protein in raw egss where cooked eggs over 90% is absorbed.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h. The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds. It has been suggested that the reduced digestibility of raw egg white is at least partially related to the presence of trypsin inhibitors in raw egg white.

demon

MrToughPants said:
The body only absorbs ~50% of the actual protein in raw egss where cooked eggs over 90% is absorbed.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716
Raw eggs are more anabolic, and try eating nearly as many cooked eggs as you can raw eggs in a day.

"But salmonella!"

It's a 1/30,000 chance, and practically zero with organic eggs (which come from clean cages/hen). And a good immune system should be able to deal with it better. I've been fine for about 10 months of raw eggs every day now.

"But cholesterol!"

There is little to no evidence that dietary cholesterol has an impact on serum cholesterol.

SRG01

demon said:

The problem is that losing body fat rapidly could lead to heart troubles down the road.

Moreover, the bigger question seems to be: do we want people to merely lose weight, or do we want people to keep the pounds off? These are two entirely different things, with the latter being an actual lifestyle change.

By the way, dropping carbohydrates is not a good idea for your bowel system. You need roughage to get movement down there, and high-protein foods only supply fat for lubrication.

SRG01

speedpop said:
The gut is from storage of carbs that's turned into fat, as far as I've been told.

The most basic thing is to go low carb diet and exercise at least once every two days. The fat will get burnt off.

The reason why people easily get a flabby gut is a physiological reason: when your intestines absorb nutrients, the surrounding blood gets saturated with all these nice things. But, it needs a place to deposit them, so the most convenient place at that time is the surrounding tissue -- which happens to be your gut.

demon

SRG01 said:
The problem is that losing body fat rapidly could lead to heart troubles down the road.
Low-carbs is not a miracle diet. You're not going to burn 10 pounds of fat in a week. Going on a really low-calorie diet is a lot more dangerous than a low-carb diet.

SRG01 said:
Moreover, the bigger question seems to be: do we want people to merely lose weight, or do we want people to keep the pounds off? These are two entirely different things, with the latter being an actual lifestyle change.
Why wouldn't you be able to keep off the pounds if you stick to the diet that worked? Besides, if you're trying to lose some serious weight, your maintenance diet doesn't have to be the same as your weight loss diet. Or if you're in decent shaped but you want to get cut for spring break or summer or whatever, you don't have to go as nuts about your diet for the rest of the year. You should stick to some kind of healthy diet, but tweak it towards whatever you want to achieve, whether short-term or long-term.

SRG01 said:
By the way, dropping carbohydrates is not a good idea for your bowel system. You need roughage to get movement down there, and high-protein foods only supply fat for lubrication.
You mean like fiber?

SRG01 said:

I have no idea why you're bringing this up. No carbs is not the same thing as getting rid of the bad carbs. Most of the carbs in the typical American diet are in fact bad for you; that's just the way that it is, and it's way out of bounds to say that getting the junk food out of your diet will leave you constipated. You should still eat your oatmeal, broccoli, and the like. No one here is saying otherwise.

Anyway, I thought that I'd post today's workout, if this is going to be a proper fitness thread. I don't plan to do this every day, but I was hoping it would stimulate a little activity.

Leg Day
Back Squats
475 lbs 6 sets of 3 90 seconds between sets
7-10 minute rest
405 lbs 3 sets of 5 90 seconds between sets
7-10 minute rest

Walking Dumbbell Lunges
100 pounders 2 laps, probably 40 ft or so one way, with a good long breather between laps.

Edit: I just stood up from the couch, and I hurt so much.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
I have a really basic question... do deadlifts and squats work your muscles in roughly the same way? I'm starting to do deadlifts, but I have pretty terrible balance, so I'm worried about doing squats with a barbell on my back. The potential for falling and killing myself is pretty high.

teiresias

you should ideally do squats in a proper squat rack. They will have guards to catch the weight in case of failure. Note. I am talking about a rack NOT a smith machine.

Trident said:
I have a really basic question... do deadlifts and squats work your muscles in roughly the same way? I'm starting to do deadlifts, but I have pretty terrible balance, so I'm worried about doing squats with a barbell on my back. The potential for falling and killing myself is pretty high.

In some respects, they are the same movement; you're going from bent down to standing up with a bunch of weight. But the difference in bar/weight placement makes all the difference in the world. Deadlift hits mostly the back [esp. the lower back] with some for the legs, while the squat is the opposite.

If you are tipping forward when you deadlift, I'd suspect that you aren't getting your hips low enough. When I get in position to pull, aka deadlift, I roll the bar right against my shins [I wear girls' volleyball kneepads over my shins to protect them. No, really], get my hips low to wear I'm thigh parallel, and straighten out my arms to where my elbows are nearly locked out. Then I pull the bar up my shins and thighs to my waist. You don't want to rest the bar against your legs at any point, but I feel like the bar should just graze your skin all the way up. When I go heavy, I actually roll my shorts up that my thighs are exposed, so that the bar doesn't get caught up in the material as it comes up.

deadbeef

Captain Glanton said:
In some respects, they are the same movement; you're going from bent down to standing up with a bunch of weight. But the difference in bar/weight placement makes all the difference in the world. Deadlift hits mostly the back [esp. the lower back] with some for the legs, while the squat is the opposite.

If you are tipping forward when you deadlift, I'd suspect that you aren't getting your hips low enough. When I get in position to pull, aka deadlift, I roll the bar right against my shins [I wear girls' volleyball kneepads over my shins to protect them. No, really], get my hips low to wear I'm thigh parallel, and straighten out my arms to where my elbows are nearly locked out. Then I pull the bar up my shins and thighs to my waist. You don't want to rest the bar against your legs at any point, but I feel like the bar should just graze your skin all the way up. When I go heavy, I actually roll my shorts up that my thighs are exposed, so that the bar doesn't get caught up in the material as it comes up.

Come on man, just let the bar rub against your shins. Wear scars, not girls volleyball kneepads.

Dice Man said:
Come on man, just let the bar rub against your shins. Wear scars, not girls volleyball kneepads.

I did for a long time, but then some fucker complained to management about me, for bleeding on the bar.

I have the scars on my shins, baby!

2DMention

Banned
Don't work yourself too hard or pay big money to go to some gym.

Just take a 1.5 mile walk 5 times a week.
It didn't cost you any money, you get to go out in the fresh air, and the ratio of amount of effort put into it to the calories burned is pretty good.

We're not pulling oxcarts anymore.

Shoho

Banned
I need to lose around 60 pounds at LEAST.

I bike 60 minutes every day(til and from work. 30 minutes each)!

and it doesnt help at all. but then again I just cant stop eating. I have stopped with all the sweets and diet coke.

but I always go out and make myself 4-5 peanut butter sandwhiches around 1-2 am. I just cant help but eating when I sit in front of the computer/tv and I do that all the time.

I dont have any other hobbies. and I dont have any friends either! I f**king hate myself! thats why I want to loose weight!

the problem is that in periods I have lost some good amounts of weight, but I always gain it back up. I only feel happy when I eat sugar, and eat until the point where I sit on the bathroom all night.

I dont think its a eating disorder. I once saw a psychiatric and he said it was not. I have never puked because of to much either, or stuck a finger in my throat either! I just eat to much. Way to much, and all the time.

I3rand0

Shoho said:

and it doesnt help at all. but then again I just cant stop eating. I have stopped with all the sweets and diet coke.

but I always go out and make myself 4-5 peanut butter sandwhiches around 1-2 am. I just cant help but eating when I sit in front of the computer/tv and I do that all the time.

I dont have any other hobbies. and I dont have any friends either! I f**king hate myself! thats why I want to loose weight!

the problem is that in periods I have lost some good amounts of weight, but I always gain it back up. I only feel happy when I eat sugar, and eat until the point where I sit on the bathroom all night.

I dont think its a eating disorder. I once saw a psychiatric and he said it was not. I have never puked because of to much either, or stuck a finger in my throat either! I just eat to much. Way to much, and all the time.

wtf :lol If you were trying to top your other post, you succeeded.

demon

Shoho said:

maybe you're one of those rare people who actually need appetite suppressant drugs.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Shoho said:

Go to bed earlier. I started going to bed earlier and I lost 10 pounds in a little bit more than a month.

Shoho

Banned
demon said:
maybe you're one of those rare people who actually need appetite suppressant drugs.

Ain't that just bullcrap? that sounds like the people who wanna sue McDs for selling fatty foods!

I have been told by my mom(i live with her at the moment, haha big laugh) that she thinks I might eat out of depression. to soothen it out. its true that sugar gives the brain a kick for a short while, but then the blood sugar goes all down, and I start feeling like crap!

I dont have anything else to do besides gaming, and watching tv in my life and just hanging out here. and I just eat a lot while doing it. its hard for me to not do. I eat also when I am not hungry. sometimes even when my belly hurts. right now I am eating rosin ceriael and its 01:56 at night(have eaten half a kilo. a hole pack). I am gonna have diarreha in the morning because of this, but I still do it, even knowing that I will s**t water for the next two days.

I3rand0

Shoho said:
Ain't that just bullcrap? that sounds like the people who wanna sue McDs for selling fatty foods!

I have been told by my mom(i live with her at the moment, haha big laugh) that she thinks I might eat out of depression. to soothen it out. its true that sugar gives the brain a kick for a short while, but then the blood sugar goes all down, and I start feeling like crap!

I dont have anything else to do besides gaming, and watching tv in my life and just hanging out here. and I just eat a lot while doing it. its hard for me to not do. I eat also when I am not hungry. sometimes even when my belly hurts. right now I am eating rosin ceriael and its 01:56 at night(have eaten half a kilo. a hole pack). I am gonna have diarreha in the morning because of this, but I still do it, even knowing that I will s**t water for the next two days.

:lol :lol :lol

Shoho said:

At the risk of making a diagnosis across the ocean [it sounds like], I think your mom is right. It sounds like you are eating out of boredom and/or depression, and you're expecting food to provide comfort. Food is meant to fuel your body, nothing more. Spending all of your time on games and the computer isn't healthy, either.

Do you work? Have you applied for jobs? I think that at least sending out your resume will help a lot. And help your mom out around the house, if nothing else.

As far as the weight loss goes, 60 lbs is a lot. To do that you will need to change a lot of things about your life, including your living and working situation. Once you're that big, too, you have to face the reality that you don't get to have any of that stuff like peanut butter. At all. To strip the weight off you need to clean up your diet completely. I eat a little natural peanut butter every day, but my diet is also clean and I have abs and veins that stand out on my arms. Once you lean out to that point, you can think about adding some of that stuff back in. Until then, it's an absolute NO.

Good luck to you.

Shoho

Banned
thanks. what your speaking off is what I have been told by others. I only need the motivation to do it. It seems like that I cant kick the passion into gear.

Yeah I work. I work at a school. 11-17 most days, so its not too bad.

my problem with my mom is an embarrasing one. I am 43 years old so you can imagine the problems that we are facing with me living under her roof. I also feel bad because I spend much of her money(and my own) on nothing but games and food.

its hard to get out of because its been like this for the most of my life. my mom should have kicked me out a long time ago, but shes just too good hearted!

im thinking about going to see a coach. maybe they can help me? that sounds more optimistic than a psychologist or something. I would rather want something concrete to help me get motivated, rather than taking all kinds of medication and pills.

Shoho said:
thanks. what your speaking off is what I have been told by others. I only need the motivation to do it. It seems like that I cant kick the passion into gear.

Yeah I work. I work at a school. 11-17 most days, so its not too bad.

my problem with my mom is an embarrasing one. I am 43 years old so you can imagine the problems that we are facing with me living under her roof. I also feel bad because I spend much of her money(and my own) on nothing but games and food.

its hard to get out of because its been like this for the most of my life. my mom should have kicked me out a long time ago, but shes just too good hearted!

im thinking about going to see a coach. maybe they can help me? that sounds more optimistic than a psychologist or something. I would rather want something concrete to help me get motivated, rather than taking all kinds of medication and pills.

I have a low opinion of "life coaches." My two cents would be to see a real psychiatrist. I suspect [again, I'm talking from probably thousands of miles away] that you're in need of professional help and not just a good stern talk.

Also, speaking frankly, if you're spending all your time and your mom's money on games, tv, and the like, then maybe you should give those things up. Cold turkey. I watched some football and started & finished HL2: Episode 1 this weekend, but I also wrote 5 pages of my dissertation and did two very tough workouts. If you can't handle having those temptations around, then it's time to give them away.

Edit: A good psychiatrist will help you work through your real problems rather than just jam you up with pills.

demon

Yeah, giving up videogames as a hobby is just about one of the best things you can do for your life. Especially if your life sucks. Double-especially if you're 43.

I added some deadlifting guidelines to the OP.

demon said:
Double-especially if you're 43.
I'd be happy if my thumbs and wrists could still operate a standard controller when I'm 43.

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
It's about time I got my lazy ass in to gear and started exercising again properly. These last few alcohol fuelled years are starting to catch up with me.
I'm 6'1 and 160lbs, I could definitely do with losing a few pounds and toning up. What's the best way to do it in a short-ish span of time? I'm not looking to get rock hard abs or anything ridiculous, but what is the most effective way to shed weight around the mid drift? Would the most important thing be to cut out certain things from my diet, or just exercise regularaly? I was thinking of getting a bike and doing an hour cycle every other day. Currently I probably consume just under 2000 calories a day.
Some days I drink lots of beer though, and this is needs to stop.
Fill me in GAF.

Same advice as the guy who plays games all day. Give up the beer cold turkey.

Beyond that, I'd say to follow the diet guidelines we've got above [based on water, lean protein, complex carbs, and fruits and vegetables], and exercise 4-5 times a week. A combination of weight training and HIIT [explanation probably coming sometime, but it's basically doing short spurts of intense cardio rather than jogging] is the most effective way to fundamentally improve your body composition.

demon

It's about time I got my lazy ass in to gear and started exercising again properly. These last few alcohol fuelled years are starting to catch up with me.
I'm 6'1 and 160lbs, I could definitely do with losing a few pounds and toning up. What's the best way to do it in a short-ish span of time? I'm not looking to get rock hard abs or anything ridiculous, but what is the most effective way to shed weight around the mid drift? Would the most important thing be to cut out certain things from my diet, or just exercise regularaly? I was thinking of getting a bike and doing an hour cycle every other day. Currently I probably consume just under 2000 calories a day.
Some days I drink lots of beer though, and this is needs to stop.
Fill me in GAF.
Umm, bodyfat/muscle aside, 160lbs is pretty light for 6'1, not heavy. But if your aim is to lose fat efficiently, do weight lifting, cardio a couple times a week, and eat a strict low-carb, high-protein high-fat diet with 1 cheat day a week. viola! better shape. if you want to mostly put on muscle, just eat more calories. Exercise regimen shouldn't really change much between trying to lose fat and building muscle, mostly diet adjustments.

deadbeef

I'm not whipping myself into shape until after Christmas, but if this thread is still alive then I'll contribute. I'm just trying to fight off more pounds until then. I'm 6'2 215 right now, but I feel more comfortable right at 200 - 205. I live in a college town, and the siren call of cheap hot wings is mighty hard to resist.

demon

Yeah, it's just the gut really. I used to be pretty skinny a few years ago, and now that I've filled out I'm scared that I won't stop.
So is it important to cut out certain foods even if I am exercising five times a week? I don't really eat un-healthily, but quite often I will have a big lunch and an even bigger dinner.
In terms of losing fat, diet is more important than exercise. You want to avoid eating lots of carbs, and avoid sugar altogether. And considering your build, weight lifting is probably more important than cardio, which you want to keep to no more than 3 times a week, and on non-lifting days. weight lifting will raise your metabolism more than cardio depending on how you do it, and it will build muscle.

If your only goal is to weigh less, than you can do that by cutting your calories way down, but it's not very healthy [I don't think] and it wouldn't really be very "fit."
No the goal is to lose the beerbelly and have a better distribution of fat/muscle.
If you follow a high protein, low carb diet and exercise several times a week, yes, I think that you'll lose the belly and thicken up in the right places too.
What would qualify as exercise ? Plus i still can't understand this i have been told since childhood that meats/eggs make you fat but you guys are saying they are actually good ? My main diet usually consists of chicken.

I hate doing legs, I always feel like total shit for like two days afterwards. Anyway I hit a new record yesterday on Calf raises using a Hack Squat rack, 800 pounds for 15 reps. Felt really good to hit that, but man they burned like hell. Got Bi's/Tri's tonite, I am pushing for 70 pound preacher curls using Dumbbells tonite, I got 65 for 6 reps last week So I think I might hit it if I get over the mental block.

devilscallmedad said:
No the goal is to lose the beerbelly and have a better distribution of fat/muscle.

What would qualify as exercise ? Plus i still can't understand this i have been told since childhood that meats/eggs make you fat but you guys are saying they are actually good ? My main diet usually consists of chicken.

Sorry, I was writing very quickly when I said that, as I'm doing here as well. I'll try to write up a proper response about this tonight.

Edit: Also, the clearest way that I can put it is this: The people I know who eat lots and lots of lean, lean protein [yes, I love baby back ribs, but they don't count] and vegetables and avoid bad carbs are lean, fit, and strong. The people that I know who eat the typical American diet [lots of breads, fats, and sugary foods] are grossly overweight, many to the point of having difficulty moving around.

So yeah, the food pyramid that we were all shown in grade school is a pile of shit.

yacobod said:
don't bother with squats or deadlifts

go to the gym on Monday and introduce yourself to the bench press

trust me

I forgot. Today is National Bench Press day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom