• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saoh

i just joined a gym last week. HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS!!! i had every kind of ache i could possibly have. thank god i didn´t go on Friday and today i feel good. i´m actually excited for today.

btw, in my case (i´m thin and i just want definition, not gain weight) the trainer told me to eat less carbs during the day and cut them completely after 6pm. also, only protein during night (eggs, tuna, veggies, chicken, beef, etc) and no mayo, sauces, excessive oil, etc.

devilscallmedad said:
Plus i still can't understand this i have been told since childhood that meats/eggs make you fat but you guys are saying they are actually good?

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

tadaaaa! an old(?) food pyramid.

you have to eat everything, but of course some types of meat have more fat than others... it also depends on how you cook them. don´t expect to eat ribs or pork chops and don´t gain any weight. i don´t think eggs make you fat, i think that´s a flat out lie o_O

yacobod

Banned
don't bother with squats or deadlifts

go to the gym on Monday and introduce yourself to the bench press

trust me

yacobod said:
don't bother with squats or deadlifts

go to the gym on Monday and introduce yourself to the bench press

trust me

Worst advice ever, First off the Deadlift is probably one of the best excercise you can do to build overall mass because it works all main muscles as while as many stablizers. And the Squat besides the obivous leg power it gives you, builds up your core and it forces your body to produce test which as all knows builds Mass. The bench is really nothing more than a show-off excercise, doing Dumbbell presses is way more effective at building Chest Mass than the bench is because it unlike the Bench which also uses your shoulders, it is a Pec specfic isolation excercise when done correctly. You one of those goofs I laugh at everyday at the gym aren't you, you know the ones who just do chest and arms and walks around on your chicken legs with women like shoulders and mass-less back, with your chest pumped out like a peacok. Man I love those fools, trying act badass in front of girls till I show up looking like a house as I do 180 pound Dumbell Rows, a weight they cannot even pick off the ground with a team helping.

yacobod

Banned
methos1975 said:
Worst advice ever, First off the Deadlift is probably one of the best excercise you can do to build overall mass because it works all main muscles as while as many stablizers. And the Squat besides the obivous leg power it gives you, builds up your core and it forces your body to produce test which as all knows builds Mass. The bench is really nothing more than a show-off excercise, doing Dumbbell presses is way more effective at building Chest Mass than the bench is because it unlike the Bench which also uses your shoulders, it is a Pec specfic isolation excercise when done correctly. You one of those goofs I laugh at everyday at the gym aren't you, you know the ones who just do chest and arms and walks around on your chicken legs with women like shoulders and mass-less back, with your chest pumped out like a peacok. Man I love those fools, trying act badass in front of girls till I show up looking like a house as I do 180 pound Dumbell Rows, a weight they cannot even pick off the ground with a team helping.

your sarcasm detector is broken

lil smoke

Banned
methos1975 said:
Man I love those fools, trying act badass in front of girls till I show up looking like a house as I do 180 pound Dumbell Rows, a weight they cannot even pick off the ground with a team helping.
I have never seen a girl at the gym that cares about how much weight guys are lifting... I laugh at ALL the obsessed guys in the gym 24/7 who think they are impressing the ladies! I know girls who like to look at huge guys, but at least in my neck of the woods, girls like normal nice guys.

One thing I can't stand are gym rats who think it's ALL about weightlifting/fitness. Half the guys in my gym seem to have a serious inferiority complex deep within.

yacobod said:
wrong

not just today, every Monday is national bench press day :D

That's what I meant. But it's cool, daddy-o.

APF said:
So does looking at boobs.
Unfortunately, they closed that thread. Maybe I could merge that old thread with this one and just call it the Big Fucking Testosterone Thead or something.

lil smoke said:
I have never seen a girl at the gym that cares about how much weight guys are lifting... I laugh at ALL the obsessed guys in the gym 24/7 who think they are impressing the ladies! I know girls who like to look at huge guys, but at least in my neck of the woods, girls like normal nice guys.

One thing I can't stand are gym rats who think it's ALL about weightlifting/fitness. Half the guys in my gym seem to have a serious inferiority complex deep within.

Your 100% correct, I lift a lot and I look freaky, and while I enjoy that lifestyle and look, have met very few females that like that look. First off it frankly scares most girls, a 120 pound girl takes one look at my big 250 pound ass, and think man what if I piss him off? And secondly, I have found that most girls today are more into the smaller dudes, and guys like me have slim pickings. For me, its not for the girls thats for sure, because I am far from what most of them want.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Plus i still can't understand this i have been told since childhood that meats/eggs make you fat but you guys are saying they are actually good ?
Dietary fat (good fat) helps you lose fat, not gain it. Nutritionists were wrong. Oh well.

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

The food pyramid is bullshit. 6-11 servings a day of bread, pasta and cereal? Bottom of the pyramid? This is what the FDA has been telling people the past how many decades? No wonder this country is fat central. Dairy is also unnecessary.

You don't have to have a freaky big build to lift huge weight. You could weight 160 and deadlift 450lbs.

lil smoke

Banned
methos1975 said:
Your 100% correct, I lift a lot and I look freaky, and while I enjoy that lifestyle and look, have met very few females that like that look. First off it frankly scares most girls, a 120 pound girl takes one look at my big 250 pound ass, and think man what if I piss him off? And secondly, I have found that most girls today are more into the smaller dudes, and guys like me have slim pickings. For me, its not for the girls thats for sure, because I am far from what most of them want.
Well you are doing it for yourself, and that's what counts. I respect that. It's the guys who walk around posing around the girls, trying to look all smooth.

I used to work out with 2 guys like that. They would wait until girls walk by before they start their sets. Or when we'd go down to the aerobic room (where the women usually are) they'd walk in all slow, so the girls could salivate and wet their biker shorts... I'd just follow a few paces behind and would notice the girls look at them briefly, but I'd get that look.. They'd also try to make it appear that I was comparably weak, when girls were around. I'm half these guys size, and they did not lift too much more than I did!

lil smoke said:
Well you are doing it for yourself, and that's what counts. I respect that. It's the guys who walk around posing around the girls, trying to look all smooth.

I used to work out with 2 guys like that. They would wait until girls walk by before they start their sets. Or when we'd go down to the aerobic room (where the women usually are) they'd walk in all slow, so the girls could salivate and wet their biker shorts... I'd just follow a few paces behind and would notice the girls look at them briefly, but I'd get that look.. They'd also try to make it appear that I was comparably weak, when girls were around. I'm half these guys size, and they did not lift too much more than I did!

Haha, I see that all the time myself. Me, well I am kinda of self-absorbed into my own world when lifting and pay little attention to anyone. Most think I am a anti-social prick at my gym because I don't like to give advice, I ignore all the girls, etc, but in reality its because I need to stay focused because I do heavy ass weights and I need to stay concentrated so I don't hurt myself.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Meh a fitness thread about losing weight again. Just call it weight loss then, I got nothing to lose.

lil smoke

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Because weight loss and fitness aren't the same thing?
I think he's trying to say that not everyone is trying to lose weight. Which is a decent point (if that is what he's saying) since everywhere you look for training/fitness info, it's mostly about losing 100 lbs and SIX PACk ABS in 2 HOURS!!! They assume everyone who is interested in fitness is 300 lbs!

lil smoke said:
I think he's trying to say that not everyone is trying to lose weight. Which is a decent point (if that is what he's saying) since everywhere you look for training/fitness info, it's mostly about losing 100 lbs and SIX PACk ABS in 2 HOURS!!! They assume everyone who is interested in fitness is 300 lbs!

Well, great. I never meant for the thread to be about weight loss, and I sort of hate the expectation that being fit means having your hip bones sticking out. I'm 5'9 and 211 lbs, as of yesterday. Most of the discussion in here has been about carbs so far, and I do think that's fair considering the state of the average American's health. But I'd be perfectly happy talking about bulking or squat techniques, too.

Bring on the bulking and squatting discussions!

Saoh said:
i just joined a gym last week. HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS!!! i had every kind of ache i could possibly have. thank god i didn´t go on Friday and today i feel good. i´m actually excited for today.

btw, in my case (i´m thin and i just want definition, not gain weight) the trainer told me to eat less carbs during the day and cut them completely after 6pm. also, only protein during night (eggs, tuna, veggies, chicken, beef, etc) and no mayo, sauces, excessive oil, etc.

So you're thin already, and the trainer is telling you to cut back on carbs? What are your goals? Half the people in the gym say they don't want to get "big" but no one ever really does get BIG (select few) and almost everyone would be okay with adding some more muscle. Always remember, you can't "define" a muscle.

Glanton:
Maybe add a section on "toning" and other BS to the OP?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
demon said:
Why does it seem weird to you? What works, works. A low-carb diet is almost essential if you want to lose fat as fast as possible or lose stubborn fat that you've never been able to get rid of.
Low carb diets work because they tend to be low calorie. Put anyone on an 800 calorie a day diet, and they'll lose weight. Doesn't matter what balance they strike as long as they stick to it.

demon

Freshmaker said:
Low carb diets work because they tend to be low calorie. Put anyone on an 800 calorie a day diet, and they'll lose weight. Doesn't matter what balance they strike as long as they stick to it.
It's not hard to eat a lot of calories and still eat low carbs. If you think people burn fat on low-carb diets because of a calorie deficit, you're dead wrong. Believe me, I tried the low-calorie diet before, and I lost weight, but it wasn't fat. Carb-loading makes you fat. It's an absolutely unnecessary component of our diet. Do the math.

demon said:
It's not hard to eat a lot of calories and still eat low carbs. If you think people burn fat on low-carb diets because of a calorie deficit, you're dead wrong. Believe me, I tried the low-calorie diet before, and I lost weight, but it wasn't fat. Carb-loading makes you fat. It's an absolutely unnecessary component of our diet. Do the math.

That depends on what your idea of necessary is, if your trying to gain muscle then Carbs are very very important, you cannot add lean muscle mass without taking in a good ratio of Carbs as well. The issue is where the carbs come from, Bread and white Rice not so good, Brown rice and oatmeal thumbs up.

Okay I'm getting married in two weeks and I've got to lose a few pounds. I'm 220 lbs and around 6'0", so i've gained around 35-40 pounds since college (damn desk job).

My plan is to go running every morning and night for 30 minutes
Eat a piece of fruit and a glass of milk every morning....or corn flakes
Light soup and crackers for lunch
healthy choice for dinner

i'm not sure about how good Healthy Choice dinners are for you and I'm not trying to lose all that weight (it's impossible) but 5-10 pounds would be pretty awesome...and I want to feel healthy for the wedding and honeymoon

I'm thinking it's either that or the chicken soup diet

ElectricBlue187 said:
Okay I'm getting married in two weeks and I've got to lose a few pounds. I'm 220 lbs and around 6'0", so i've gained around 35-40 pounds since college (damn desk job).

My plan is to go running every morning and night for 30 minutes
Eat a piece of fruit and a glass of milk every morning....or corn flakes
Light soup and crackers for lunch
healthy choice for dinner

i'm not sure about how good Healthy Choice dinners are for you and I'm not trying to lose all that weight (it's impossible) but 5-10 pounds would be pretty awesome...and I want to feel healthy for the wedding and honeymoon

I'm thinking it's either that or the chicken soup diet

I eat 2-3 Healthy choice dinners a day, but I am gaining mass and I find them a cheap easy way to get 20+ grams of Protein every few hours on top of my daily shake. For me, real food is always better than a shake.

I started running near the end of summer but I've been lazy and I haven't ran for the past 4 weeks. Its just so hard now that the basketball season is back. I know I should run but when there's a game on, I can't work up the will to strap on the running shoes and head out.

Saoh

Mr. Snrub said:
So you're thin already, and the trainer is telling you to cut back on carbs? What are your goals? Half the people in the gym say they don't want to get "big" but no one ever really does get BIG (select few) and almost everyone would be okay with adding some more muscle. Always remember, you can't "define" a muscle.

yes, i´m thin and my goal is to get some muscle w/o getting big, and that´s what i told him. he recommended me to not eat bread, cereals, sugar, oil, processed juice, etc after 6pm. and it makes sense to me honestly, we tend to be more sedentary at night.

lil smoke

Banned
Are you eating
Saoh said:
bread, cereals, sugar, oil, processed juice
lots of this stuff now? Sounds like he's just trying to make sure you get big without getting fat... but if you aren't fat now... it's shouldn't be the point. You just need to lift heavy!

I'm the kind of guy that doesn't get fat no matter what I eat too. You just want your muscles to "show"? Then just start lifting big weights 5sets/5reps. (Thanks Snrub, works great). If you are slim, you should start seeing growth quickly. Your friends will notice it before you do. And, it's fun being small and lifting more weight than some of the big guys in the gym.

lil smoke said:
Are you eatinglots of this stuff now? Sounds like he's just trying to make sure you get big without getting fat... but if you aren't fat now... it's shouldn't be the point. You just need to lift heavy!

I'm the kind of guy that doesn't get fat no matter what I eat too. You just want your muscles to "show"? Then just start lifting big weights 5sets/5reps. (Thanks Snrub, works great). If you are slim, you should start seeing growth quickly. Your friends will notice it before you do. And, it's fun being small and lifting more weight than some of the big guys in the gym.

Well, remember that some of those big guys are more into actually getting good decent mass than lifting heavy, its a misconception that lifting heavy means big muscle growth. Doing the rep correctly and in good form while concentrating on peak contraction does more for mass growth than just going heavy, I am pretty decent sized, 53 in chest, 18 inch arms, 29 on quads, 18.5 on calves, and most of that came more from good lifting form than going heavy. I can put on more size doing 50 pound barbell presses than most can doing 300 pound bench presses, simply because I have a way more advanced mind-muscle connection than they do.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
demon said:
It's not hard to eat a lot of calories and still eat low carbs. If you think people burn fat on low-carb diets because of a calorie deficit, you're dead wrong. Believe me, I tried the low-calorie diet before, and I lost weight, but it wasn't fat.
You're right. You lose lean muscle mass first.

lil smoke

Banned
methos1975 said:
Well, remember that some of those big guys are more into actually getting good decent mass than lifting heavy, its a misconception that lifting heavy means big muscle growth. Doing the rep correctly and in good form while concentrating on peak contraction does more for mass growth than just going heavy, I am pretty decent sized, 53 in chest, 18 inch arms, 29 on quads, 18.5 on calves, and most of that came more from good lifting form than going heavy. I can put on more size doing 50 pound barbell presses than most can doing 300 pound bench presses, simply because I have a way more advanced mind-muscle connection than they do.
Yeah thats true... for the guys that arent there just posing and flexing... then these other fools. I don't know, maybe it's just the Ballys that I used to go to. NYSC seems to be a lot better, but the guys there are more fitness oriented. Lots of machine using guys at NYSC, while at Ballys... a complete circus. Did I mention how friendly people are at Ballys, until someone else tells you they're just gay and like to check out guys?

ok that was my last derail, continue on... WHIP ON GAF!

lil smoke said:
Yeah thats true... for the guys that arent there just posing and flexing... then these other fools. I don't know, maybe it's just the Ballys that I used to go to. NYSC seems to be a lot better, but the guys there are more fitness oriented. Lots of machine using guys at NYSC, while at Ballys... a complete circus. Did I mention how friendly people are at Ballys, until someone else tells you they're just gay and like to check out guys?

ok that was my last derail, continue on... WHIP ON GAF!

I work out at the gym on a USAF base, so I never had to deal with goofs like that.

Saoh

lil smoke said:
Are you eatinglots of this stuff now? Sounds like he's just trying to make sure you get big without getting fat... but if you aren't fat now... it's shouldn't be the point. You just need to lift heavy!

he doesn´t know my whole diet because i didn´t hire him as a nutritionist and i´m fairly new yet, but yeah, i have cereal for breakfast almost every day and used to have sandwhich for dinner. i like stuff like cookies and crap as snack too, but i am cutting those. he´s not telling me not to eat, just not to eat those things at night and i´ve always be slim, just not "fit".

i don´t think heavy weights will be my cup of tea, i know more weight = more mass and muscle, which => getting big. i don´t want that. i want regular muscles, abs, back, shoulders, chest, legs and hard ass :p

today i´ll start my second week and already i can feel the results, mostly on my arms and on my neck.

demon

methos1975 said:
That depends on what your idea of necessary is, if your trying to gain muscle then Carbs are very very important, you cannot add lean muscle mass without taking in a good ratio of Carbs as well. The issue is where the carbs come from, Bread and white Rice not so good, Brown rice and oatmeal thumbs up.
Yes but not everybody needs lots of carbs to bulk. Some people can bulk quite a bit with less than 100 carbs a day. Eating some oatmeal and brown rice is fine, but the idea that you need to load up on them, ever, is ridiculous, unless you're just trying to put on weight. The importance of carb-heavy foods in our diet has been way overblown.

Freshmaker said:
You're right. You lose lean muscle mass first.
Right. That's why low-carb diets are much better for losing fat.

i don´t think heavy weights will be my cup of tea, i know more weight = more mass and muscle, which => getting big. i don´t want that. i want regular muscles, abs, back, shoulders, chest, legs and hard ass :p
Dude, no. There's no such thing as putting on "regular muscle" or "lean muscle" as opposed to "lots of muscle" or whatever. Your muscles either grow or they don't. Whatever your target muscle size is, using heavy weights will get you there faster. Like I said before, you (hypothetically) can lift HUGE weight and not gain much weight. How much mass you put on is controlled more by how much you eat, not how much you lift. It's not like if you switch from 15-rep sets to 5-rep sets you're going to wake up one day with an olympic lifter's body.

Saoh

Dude no. who said i wanted to get there faster? jesus i´m just getting started. i don´t wanna fuck up and lose a muscle on my arm for life just ´cuz i wanted to get there faster. I lifted mostly 40lb all last week, we´ll see what I´ll do today.

Draft said:
Someone's got to have part 2 of that picture somewhere.

Emergency%20Room%201%20copy.jpg

Saoh
If I understand you right, you want to get more of an 'athletic' look than a 'bodybuilder' or 'powerlifter' look, right? That's fine, but I think that you might want to revise upward the amount of weight you'll need to lift to get to that point. It's been my experience that most people underestimate the amount of weight you have to lift to reach a certain size/look as well as the relative size of that look. In other words, if you want to look 'athletic' you will probably need to lift the kind of weights that you think of bodybuilders as lifting. Bodybuilders lift the kind of weight that most people would think of as powerlifting, and big-time powerlifters lift more than the mortal mind can grasp.

I'm also going to update the OP to talk a little about toning.

lil smoke said:

Exactly. Look, man, a little fat isn't going to hurt you. If you're already small, you probably have a decent metabolism--it is must easier for the skinny-inclined to notice changes and adjust your diet. But you need to pack in the food, EVEN if you are going for a "lean" look. You aren't going to magically pack on 20 pounds because you eat a lot and lift heavy, so don't worry about it, but you will make gains faster by eating more and lifting heavier.

Saoh said:
he doesn´t know my whole diet because i didn´t hire him as a nutritionist and i´m fairly new yet, but yeah, i have cereal for breakfast almost every day and used to have sandwhich for dinner. i like stuff like cookies and crap as snack too, but i am cutting those. he´s not telling me not to eat, just not to eat those things at night and i´ve always be slim, just not "fit".

today i´ll start my second week and already i can feel the results, mostly on my arms and on my neck.

It just sounds like you are worried about becoming too bulky, too big...but trust me, it's NOT that easy to suddenly bulk up. There's no way to change the shape of the muscle, just it's size, and the best way to increase size is through hypertrophy. A magic number for this is 5 reps, which gives good increases in size and strength. Lower reps tend to tax your CNS more (and also train it), as do more full body exercises. Reps from 5-8 are optimal for muscular hypertrophy, but there is a point of dimishing returns, and higher than this tends to lighten the load too much for optimal loading of the muscle tissue.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
My current progress:

I finished the Velocity Diet in August at about 205 pounds. Currently I'm eating 2600 calories on non training days and 3600 calories on training days and my weight is 202 pounds. I'm slightly less fat and slightly more muscular.

My carbs -

200-250 calories of fruit with breakfast, Surge (330 calories) after lifting, and 400 calories of beans/ lentils or pumpkin after that. My only other carbs are vegetables. Non training days is only the fruit and vegetables. With this plan I'm slowly losing fat, building muscle and getting stronger all at once, the keyword being slowly.

Future Plans

On December 1st I'll up my calories to 2800 and 3800.

On January 1st I'll do one cycle of the Super Accumulation Program and eat as much as I want, but I'll keep it clean.

On Febuary 1st I'll reduce calories to 2500 on non training days and 3300 on training days, looking to burn off some fat with my metabolism really high at this point.

On March 1 I'll start the Velocity Diet again.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Saoh said:

Slow down there.

Moving more weight doesn't necessarily mean bigger muscles. What you eat, training and your metabolism decides that. As you train your CNS adapts to what you are doing. Your brain and body is learning what limits/threshold your body can reach. Strength gain is neurological.

I've been training twice a day (morning 25-30min run, afternoon rowing) every day for about 4 months, but i've noticed in recent times that during training, about half-way in, suddenly i'm just lacking energy and almost feeling sick in my stomach
Does anyone know why this may be?

APF

One morning after a workout I woke up to realize I had gained 50 pounds of pure muscle! Needless to say, I was shocked and appalled! That'll teach me to lift more than those vinyl dumbells. NEVER AGAIN.

deadbeef

APF said:
One morning after a workout I woke up to realize I had gained 50 pounds of pure muscle! Needless to say, I was shocked and appalled! That'll teach me to lift more than those vinyl dumbells. NEVER AGAIN.

You were probably eating steel cut oats - don't you know it's all about the diet man, and steel cut oats are the best

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lil smoke said:

I agree, plus the last girls you are likely to impress with muscles is a girl who works out regularly.

Oh and yeah not everyone is trying to lose weight. I'm actually trying to gain some (as mentioned in another thread I made). I'm at 129.5 right now, aiming for 135 the end of the year or so. I've gained more muscle mass no doubt in the recent weeks, more definition too, mainly in my upper body and arms.

demon

Saoh said:
Dude no. who said i wanted to get there faster? jesus i´m just getting started. i don´t wanna fuck up and lose a muscle on my arm for life just ´cuz i wanted to get there faster. I lifted mostly 40lb all last week, we´ll see what I´ll do today.
You made it sound as thought you want "normal muscle" (what does that mean?) through lifting light weights instead of heavy weights, which doesn't make sense. Yeah, you start off kinda light when you're beginning. But what you were saying sounded like the "less weight and more reps for toning, higher weight and fewer reps for more mass" bs. You're not going to build any muscle and get a "hard ass" if you don't lift enough weight. You should be controlling how much mass you gain and fat you lose with your diet much more than with your exercise regimen.

I've been training twice a day (morning 25-30min run, afternoon rowing) every day for about 4 months, but i've noticed in recent times that during training, about half-way in, suddenly i'm just lacking energy and almost feeling sick in my stomach
Does anyone know why this may be?
Umm, stop training so damn much. Twice a day every day is a lot. You need to give your body some time to recuperate.

I have gained and lost weight simply by controlling calories, all the while adhering to a 40-40-20 (or, in some cases a 50-30-20) breakdown.

FTWDK: 40% (or 50%) carbs, 40% (or 30%) protein, and 20% fat

slayn said:
Huh? While I guess not necessary I've always heard dairy is good and is proven to promote fat loss. I love my skim milk and cheese. Google search gives me this: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040416/dairy-foods-fat-weight-loss

edit: also, why does everyone say fat is good, but that you must only eat lean meats. That seems completely contradictory.

There are good fats and bad fats.

Good fat = unsaturated fat

bad fat = saturated fat

Eat a lot of olive oil.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
MaverickX9 said:
There are good fats and bad fats.

Good fat = unsaturated fat

bad fat = saturated fat

Eat a lot of olive oil.

That used to be the case but now everything I see says differently (that you need a mix of sat/mono/poly) and that only trans fat are bad for you and needs to be avoided =\ Is it or isn't it?

Nutrition would be so much easier if science would stop changing it's damn mind all the time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom