• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheStreet.com -- "Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy Can't Find the Magic"

RBH

super_depressed.jpg

Tristam

Huh? I'm watching the video and the "analyst" on there says that it's the best $50 he's ever spent and praised the "mind-bending" level design.

EDIT: Oh, he's talking about the North American sales of the title. Doesn't it help to compare it to the past entries in the series? Mario Galaxy is the fastest-selling Mario title in the U.S. in, well, ever.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Yeah, sales. Of course I'm gonna leave that ambiguous in the first post. Gotta sell the thread, afterall.

---

I think its pretty amusing that the guy expected it to put up Halo 3 numbers and uses it as a benchmark. Shows how little he knows the history of the series' sales and the what should be expected out of them. Its as if he just started covering this industry this year.

Mason

WTF is this shit? This video looks like it was produced by a high school media club and the guy doesn't even speak like a professional. That aside, I'll wait for actual sales numbers. I'm guessing they're good and I'm also guessing a lot of people will be buying this game in December to give as a gift.

EDIT: Ugh, I'm watching it again. This video is horrible. Are all the videos on this site of such poor quality (production/talent wise)?

Davidion

He just thinks the sales numbers should be higher, and is using Halo 3 as a benchmark. In fact he mentions that the game will be a solid stable seller in the future. The guy is using a lot of conjecture and loose comparisons and not even pulling out much solid numbers other than Halo and Mario sales.

What's the big deal? Seems kind of like typical armchair research to me.

Mariah Carey said:
I'm not sure what he was expecting?

For it to beat Halo 3? He did make a reference to Halo sales, so I guess in that regard, it can be looked as a failure. This game will have legs in the US and should go on to sell multi millions. When all is said and done, the LTD for this title in the US will be enormous.

SDZeta said:
Any of us could have said what he said. It seriously looks like they picked up a guy randomly and gave him a suit.

And then asked him what the typical 'suit' thinks of Mario and games in general.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
derder said:
Can GAF just agree to blackball this shit?

It doesn't help anyone or anything to post this type of thing.
Hey, stuff like this helps move the stocks of game companies. Alot of us on here now own shares of Nintendo.

Gahiggidy said:
Hey, stuff like this helps move the stocks of game companies. Alot of us on here now own shares of Nintendo.

Nintendo just announced that they sold over 1 million systems in a week. Trust me, some joe on an odd website won't change what the stock brokers are thinking at this point. Nintendo is where the money is at now.

Galaxy sold great, this guy doesn't know what he was talking about.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm seeing a trend.

http://www.thestreet.com/video/index.html?bcpid=1155328549&bclid=1111449338&bctid=1322221232 "Activision Jams with Guitar Hero" Brittany Umar & Michael Comeau
http://www.thestreet.com/video/index.html?bcpid=1155328549&bclid=1111449338&bctid=1322221207 "Keep an Eye on THQ in 2008" Brittany Umar & Michael Comeau
http://www.thestreet.com/video/index.html?bcpid=1155328549&bclid=1111449338&bctid=1322221192 "PlayStation Sales Show Hope for Sony" Brittany Umar & Michael Comeau
http://www.thestreet.com/video/inde...ategy&cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=&cm_ite=#1322221183 "Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy Can't Find the Magic Mushroom" Brittany Umar & Michael Comeau

edit: links fixed

Why is it that so many "analysts" forget that a large reason Halo 3 sold so much at first is because you could pre-order the game for over 2 years (June 05)? You have to give Galaxy at year from now and then compare sales. Retailers will largely only order so much based on their pre-order quantities and a bit more to cover walk in purchases. Even then, consumers are strained based on the quantity of copies made.

PS2 KID

Lostconfused said:
I find it hilarious that they didn't show a single screen/video of the game but instead choose to show halo 3 launch day footage.

Seriously. 'Mind bending' level designs, yet they show or demonstrate none of them. I wonder if the guy reads NeoGAF? :D

tjhooker

Banned
I wouldn't say it was a failure but agree it doesn't have that magic as my time with the game and sales in Japan have shown.

PS2 KID

All hope is not lost for Mario platformers! Nintendo will think of something crazy to appeal to the casual fans, like a treadmill controller you use to control Mario. Maybe something as crazy as the world's first abacus like platform with many balls that sense the direction and movement of your feet. :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Crimson Blur said:
Nintendo just announced that they sold over 1 million systems in a week. Trust me, some joe on an odd website won't change what the stock brokers are thinking at this point. Nintendo is where the money is at now.

Galaxy sold great, this guy doesn't know what he was talking about.
TheStreet.com isn't an odd website.

Battersea Power Station said:
What is this quote from?
The video.

Top Bottom