• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida (PSP) Official Thread of Killing Insolent Adventurers!

duckroll

Official Site: http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/namaikida/
Price: 3980yen
Release Date: Out right now
Why it rocks: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211934

Basic Gameplay Summary

You play as the "God of Destruction" represented by a cursor in the shape of a sickle. Using this you can break stones to create paths in the undgerground and unleashing various monsters that live and reproduce on a simple ecosystem. When budding adventures decide to venture forth into the dungeon, you must move the demon lord to a place of safety so he cannot be capture, while maintaining the dungeon such that the monsters will slay these insolent adventures and put a stop to their aspirations. :)

Initial Impressions

Compared to the demo, the full game has much more options and reveals what sort of game it really is. As I suspected from the demo, this is definitely intended to be a puzzle/arcade style game instead of a sim. The sim elements are simply a unique base for the gameplay system. In the full game, you save the game as you complete the various training stages, and subsequently unlock Challenge missions which rank and score you. In the Story mode, you cannot save your progress at all, so it's not much of a sim. The objective is to play for the highest score possible. Your top score is saved when you die. I believe it's possible to actually beat the story mode too, but I only got to Stage 5 so far - it's pretty hard. There's also a sort of VS mode where you can customize the adventure(s) that would be invading the dungeon by renaming them, renaming their title and quote, etc. And you can then use them to attack a friend's dungeon.

Overall it's pretty much what I expected - possible the most addictive portable game in a long time and definitely a breath of fresh air in the genre. Because of the large amount of Japanese text and the 8-bit graphics, I don't expect this to take off like Lumines did even if it's brought to the US, but it definitely gives me the same feeling as something I've never played before and definitely want to play more and more of.

duckroll

MedievalManIII said:
I need help on getting past level 4.
Anyone have any tips?

It actually helps to prepare for future stages right from the start. My suggestion is that a good base dungeon design should always start with a really narrow path, leading off to several possible other "sections" each cramped with monsters moving on all sides. This way when there are multiple adventures, they'll likely split up and get killed seperately before ever finding the demon lord.

I got up to the 5th level, atleast the one where 3 people come at once and two of them have strong as hell attacks that clear out an entire line of my guys, I couldent even manage to kill one of them.

I dont know how to summon the strongest creatures yet, I managed to get 2 of those witches, but I dont remember how. Also, I noticed for the first time that your creatures die fairly quickly after you spawned them, so I have to find a way to get that to work for me.

the balance between creating more paths and upgrading your creatures is also much more apparent in the full game when they seem to go up to much higher levels (in the demo you can only go up to orange slimes, but I went upto blue ones which were lvl 3 or 4, but they were still weak).

in previous attempts I made lots of path ways with weak enemies, that seemed to work for the first 3 levels but as more enemies come that can explore more paths at the same time, it seems like it is better to have strong enemies...it is difficult to find a good balance that would work.

duckroll

Linkzg said:
I got up to the 5th level, atleast the one where 3 people come at once and two of them have strong as hell attacks that clear out an entire line of my guys, I couldent even manage to kill one of them.

Haha. In my case I totally fuckowned two of them, but the last guy managed to clear a straight path to the demon lord, and managed to make it out because all the other monsters were in other sections. >_<

I dont know how to summon the strongest creatures yet, I managed to get 2 of those witches, but I dont remember how. Also, I noticed for the first time that your creatures die fairly quickly after you spawned them, so I have to find a way to get that to work for me.

Okay, there are several rules.

For mineral blocks, it goes from mossy -> white specks -> white block. Mossy = slime, white specks = skeleton dogs, white blocks = lizardmen. When you have a white block, if you clear all 8 blocks surrounding it before breaking it, you get a demon portal. If you tap it immediately, a demon comes out. If you feed it 5 ghosts first, it turns grey and you get a greater demon.

For magic blocks, it goes from star sparks -> heart shape -> diamond-ish shape. Stars = ghost, heart = lillith, diamond = dragon. Basically you get magic blocks when you kill an adventure around normal blocks, or if adventurers cast a spell, or whatever. By releasing ghosts, they serve the same purpose as slimes except on the magic scale. The same rules apply from there.

Also, ghosts can enhance skeletons left by adventurers, turning them red. This makes much stronger skeleton warriors when you summon them.

duckroll said:
Okay, there are several rules.

For mineral blocks, it goes from mossy -> white specks -> white block. Mossy = slime, white specks = skeleton dogs, white blocks = lizardmen. When you have a white block, if you clear all 8 blocks surrounding it before breaking it, you get a demon portal. If you tap it immediately, a demon comes out. If you feed it 5 ghosts first, it turns grey and you get a greater demon.

For magic blocks, it goes from star sparks -> heart shape -> diamond-ish shape. Stars = ghost, heart = lillith, diamond = dragon. Basically you get magic blocks when you kill an adventure around normal blocks, or if adventurers cast a spell, or whatever. By releasing ghosts, they serve the same purpose as slimes except on the magic scale. The same rules apply from there.

Also, ghosts can enhance skeletons left by adventurers, turning them red. This makes much stronger skeleton warriors when you summon them.

thanks

another question I had is whats the deal with the treasure chests? a purple skeleton came out of one and an orange slime came of another. Do they just spawn random enemies or are they special somehow?

duckroll

Linkzg said:
thanks

another question I had is whats the deal with the treasure chests? a purple skeleton came out of one and an orange slime came of another. Do they just spawn random enemies or are they special somehow?

Treasure Chests = random monster. If an adventurer gets to it and opens it, it damages everything around it and restores his health.

Chorazin

This looks to be something I would buy day one if they bring it out over here. I'm not import shy, but with so much text I'm sure I'd be missing out on a lot of the game's charm.

Odrion

Banned
Dude, PICTURES.

edit: fine
6xj26n7.jpg

6xkwpwm.jpg

6qdbimd.jpg

Some other ones.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sweet, glad to see an official thread for this! Thanks Duckroll!

So, now that you've played it for a while, I'll reiterate my question from the demo thread:

Can we import this and actually be able to play it? The demo was definitely playable without understand what was being said at the start of each stage, my only worry is that reading becomes a requirement later on.

So importing this if it's playable...

duckroll

If you don't really care about the flavor text and stuff it's very playable even if you can't read anything. The only thing that would get in the way would be the objectives for the Training and Challenge missions. But you can either figure it out by trial and error or by asking here.

fr4nz

The controls:

Yuusha_controls.png

Arrow keys: move cursor
Analog pad: move cursor
Square: dig
Circle: display cursor info
Triangle: zoom in/out
L: quick focus
Select: evil forces overview

Otacon

thanks, duckroll
does the demon lord drop any funny lines or does he only give you advice about what to do?

as i really liked the demo and the chances of this game coming to the US or Europe are basically ZERO :(...i might import it along with Patapon (if this get's a decent Famitsu score)

*waits for more impressions* ;)

duckroll

Otacon said:
thanks, duckroll
does the demon lord drop any funny lines or does he only give you advice about what to do?

The game script is filled with parody and pop-culture references. Everything from what he says, to what the adventurers says, to the descriptions in the database have random wacky Japanese pop culture references. Some are more obvious, some are pretty obscure. The Japanese fans are having a field day with this one.

as i really liked the demo and the chances of this game coming to the US or Europe are basically ZERO :(

I don't know why people would think that. Far less marketable PSP games have been localized.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Having only played the demo, had a couple of questions:

1) What determines when a new adventurer arrives? Is it just timed, or is something to do with how much digging you do?

2) Is there any significance to the different color striations in the rock you dig through?

duckroll

kaching said:
Having only played the demo, had a couple of questions:

1) What determines when a new adventurer arrives? Is it just timed, or is something to do with how much digging you do?

2) Is there any significance to the different color striations in the rock you dig through?

1) It's timed. You can skip forward to make them arrive instantly by moving the cursor up into the entrance.

2) It's just to define depth. It makes it easier to identify how deep you are without zooming out all the time. If all the blocks were the same color throughout, after a while it would be really disorientating as it gets deeper.

Tiktaalik

Played the demo. This game is super awesome cool. I really like the retro graphics.

I sort of wish I could build blocks back up again. Sometimes I go crazy making slimes and then I have these massive open spaces that look dumb.

xcomp

I used the same "rules" I used during the demo and got up to the last hero
"Aaaaah!"
in less than a few hours. And I thought only people who didn't know Japanese used that name when playing JRPGs :lol

Haven't managed to beat him yet. Only managed to get his health down to a hundred or so. Seems almost impossible compared to the gold
Legendary Hero

Nice game to play if you only need a quick break. It's great that they let you skip the text.

Zoe

Oh, this game is awesome :O

It took me a little while to get a hang of it, but I'm defeating the demo levels pretty consistently now. I don't know when I'll be able to get the full game though :(

Kuran

Banned
Got this earlier last week.. but haven't really started it, yet. First Silent Hill Origins.

I did dabble with it and the demo, so know what to expect... I really enjoyed myself, but I feel I need someone to explain the deeper gameplay elements to me, before I really get how it all works.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
SolidSnakex said:
Don't really care what they call it. I'll just be happy if Sony actually brings it over.
I really think you should care that it might be called Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman!

Cause that's awesome :D

Zoe

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!

Though if that title's anything to go by, it will be heavily localized.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
It's too close to April 1st for me to fully believe, but I guess that kinda makes sense. The Japanese title (according to J-Wikipedia) is taken from the phrase "Nobita no kuse ni namaikida", a reference to Doraemon. It'd make sense to use a similar cultural reference here, and the fact that they realized this (somewhat obscure) fact makes me think it's probable.

duckroll

Zoe said:
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!

Though if that title's anything to go by, it will be heavily localized.

It'll HAVE to be heavily localized to even work in English. The entire game script is pretty much one-liners that references sub/pop culture elements in Japan that no one would understand.

Chemo

mrkapawutzis said:
Damn the proximity to April Fools! If true, they should bundle the first and second games together.
This is pretty low on April Fools priority lists, I'd imagine. This seems pretty clearly legit.

How big a piece of shit do you need to be to try to make an April Fools prank on not only a PSP game, not only a Japanese game, but a lesser known game from Acquire. Maybe next year they can announce that Chou Soujuu Mecha MG is coming to America as Super Happy Robot Fun Time to throw more dirt in my face.

I'm hoping it's real and if it turns out to be false facts, I will think it's just that and not a prank. It would be great to have these games in English, though. I have both versions imported already and would pick up the American versions anyway.

AniHawk

Linkzg said:
How big a piece of shit do you need to be to try to make an April Fools prank on not only a PSP game, not only a Japanese game, but a lesser known game from Acquire. Maybe next year they can announce that Chou Soujuu Mecha MG is coming to America as Super Happy Robot Fun Time to throw more dirt in my face.

NISA has to do this now.

Top Bottom