• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IV DS Thread

THE FINAL FANTASY IV DS OFFICIAL THREAD

7xtxa3r.jpg

Title: Final Fantasy IV
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: RPG
Developer: Matrix
Publisher: Square-Enix
Japanese Release Date: December 20th, 2007
US Release Date: TBD
Official Site: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff4ds/main.html

ff4logo.jpg

About the Game

Final Fantasy IV for DS is the second on a series of remakes of main-series Final Fantasy games. After the success of Final Fantasy III for DS, this title was announced, to be developed by Matrix Software (responsible for FF3DS), with assistance from members of the original FF4 team.

Development Team Info

Produers: Takashi Tokita (scenario writer for FF4 SFC) and Tomoya Asano
Battle System: Hiroyuki Itou (systems design on FF4-6 and FFT, director of FF9)
Storyboards: Yoshinori Kanada

Plot Summary (thanks to Nintendic.com)

“As Cecil, the leader of Baron’s elite Red Wings force, the king tasks you to recover the world’s most powerful elemental crystals, from other peaceful nations, whatever the cost. However, after questioning these actions you are cast out and soon uncover a sinister plot, which left unchecked could result in the end of life as we know it. With your close friend Kain at your side you must set off on an epic adventure that literally takes you from the depths of the earth to the furthest side of the moon.”

New Features

Completely remade in 3D. FF4ds recreates the original in full 3D, including new dynamic cutscenes storyboarded by animator Yoshinori Kanada.

New storyline content. Original scenario writer Takashi Tokita says that 75% of the material originally written for FF4 was cut due to development pressures. FF4ds reincorporates portions of this material, adding entirely new plot developments and backstory cutscenes to flesh out the storyline.

Voice acting. A series first in an FF remake, FF4 has had voice acting added to key storyline scenes throughout the game.

New abilities. The battle system has been tweaked and each character's individual abilities have been expanded and redesigned; screenshots reveal several characters with brand-new abilities.

Inheritance system. Because so many characters die
(not)
in FF4, a new system was introduced which allows the abilities of fallen characters to be granted to characters who remain in your party.

Event Theater. Watch any storyline events that have already occurred in the Event Theater, or listen to any of the game's music in the Music Theater.

Mini-Games. This remake introduces a series of math minigames which can be played either single-player or via local wireless; performing well in these games can unlock a secret character who Rydia can summon into battle.

Character thoughts. In order to increase the character development in the game, the developers have used the bottom screen to display party members when you enter the menu; thought bubbles reveal their internal thought processes, providing plot details, character development, and humorous dialogue.

Vocal song. The "Theme of Love" from FF4 was remade as a vocal song performed by Megumi Ida, who was selected from more than 800 applicants.

Screenshots

migi.jpg
Image51.jpg
hidari.jpg

h-104_76879_ff08jpg.jpg
h-104_76879_ff01jpg.jpg
h-104_76879_ff06jpg.jpg

h-104_71653_f1jpg.jpg
gamen1.jpg
ff05.jpg

ff03.jpg
ff04.jpg
ff01.jpg

aff06.jpg
ff03-1.jpg
ff02.jpg

ff01-1.jpg
d4916962.jpg
1012_1.jpg

00ca0358.jpg
h-104_76879_ff10jpg.jpg
071006_2.jpg

071006_1.jpg
h-104_76879_ff09jpg.jpg

Voice Cast

Shizuma Hodoshima as Cecil Harvey
Yuko Kaida as Rosa Farrell
Koichi Yamadera as Kain Highwind
Ryo Horikawa as Edward Chris von Muir
Noriko Shitaya as Rydia
Rie Kugimiya as Palom and Porom
Tesshou Genda as Yang Fang Leiden
Hiroya Ishimaru as Edward "Edge" Geraldine
Ichiro Nagai as Cid Pollendina
Banjo Ginga as FuSoYa
Goro Naya as Tellah
Takeshi Kaga as Golbez
Norio Wakamoto as Rubicante

Development Blog

A blog discussing the development of this title was kept; the first eight entries can be read translated into English here, here, and here.

Official Wallpapers

Rydia: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Kain: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Rosa: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Good Cecil: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Evil Cecil: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Edward (lol): 1024x768, 1280x1024
Yang: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Palom & Porom: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Edge: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Golbez: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Balcony Scene: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Kain and Cecil: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Two Sides of Cecil: 1024x768, 1280x1024
Full Cast: 1024x768, 1280x1024

8bzotco.jpg

(many thanks to duckroll for the banners!)

lyre

1: Might I suggest you use this: K[/i ]ain[/i ] (Kain).
2: Edward is a hottie and prettier than Rosa.
3: The game cannot come out soon enough.

Aeana

Great thread, charlequin. Looking forward to this, even though I never really liked the original FF4 that much.

bengraven

Awesome, never beat the game and this has a ton of extra stuff to keep me into it.

Unlike III, I can see myself getting more than an hour into it, since the original game was so damn awesome.

LaneDS

Any word on if the battles are faster paced in this remake than FF3? Even with all the extra awesome poured into this remake, I'm not sure I could get into it if the battles are significantly slower than the SNES/GBA versions.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
h-104_76879_ff09jpg.jpg

Neat. Dungeon exploration has a percentage counter AND maps auto-fill with exploration. I like that.

duckroll

Brandon F said:
h-104_76879_ff09jpg.jpg

Neat. Dungeon exploration has a percentage counter AND maps auto-fill with exploration. I like that.

Yeah there's even an NPC that keeps track of your %s and presumably you get something for doing 100% on maps...... sounds like....... Star Ocean 3! :lol

So. Who else besides duckroll is getting this game at launch? Surely someone must be importing, right?

LaneDS said:
Any word on if the battles are faster paced in this remake than FF3?

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it -- at least, it doesn't sound like they'll be as fast as the SNES version, certainly.

JayDubya

Banned
Damn. This would be the perfect Christmas gift for my niece had it come out in NA in time.

I had played DQ1 and FF1 at the time, but this one was where my love for RPGs truly began.

Brandon F

duckroll said:
Yeah there's even an NPC that keeps track of your %s and presumably you get something for doing 100% on maps...... sounds like....... Star Ocean 3! :lol

Yea, it's a great addition.

Also, is there an interview discussing the 75% narrative content shakeup for FFIV? That's a pretty massive amount of plot to merely dissolve, almost sounds like the game had a total RE1.5-esque reboot before hitting Super Famicom.

duckroll

Brandon F said:
Also, is there an interview discussing the 75% narrative content shakeup for FFIV? That's a pretty massive amount of plot to merely dissolve, almost sounds like the game had a total RE1.5-esque reboot before hitting Super Famicom.

Developers exaggerate.... all the time.

Soygen

Hcoregamer00 said:
My most anticipated remake for next year.

This made me laugh for some reason. ;)

I'm looking forward to the NA release. The automap/map% is pretty cool. First time I've seen that.

I can't wait for this game. I purchased the GBA remake not too long ago, but I have yet to finish it. I loved the FF III remake on DS that released last year.

Do we have any idea when this game will be hitting the States?

Brandon F said:

I'm pretty sure it's a question of "lines of script" rather than some amorphous measure of "content." I'm guessing that there was at one point a pretty extensive script written well before the game was completed, and then when the realities of development sank in they trimmed out a lot of interesting but ultimately disposable lines and scenes that filled in some character development but didn't really affect the story too deeply.

The added content they've previewed so far seems to fill in gaps of the existing story, like
Kain and Cecil's childhood
. I wouldn't be surprised to see more stuff along these lines.

Kestastrophe said:
Do we have any idea when this game will be hitting the States?

Oh, sure, we have an idea -- all the way out in November 2008, to serve as S-E's flagship Xmas title. We just don't have any proof yet. :lol

Aeana

charlequin said:
So. Who else besides duckroll is getting this game at launch? Surely someone must be importing, right?

I am, of course. I think ethelred said he might be, but I'm not sure.

ITA84

charlequin said:

I am, but I'm not sure I'll be able to contribute to this thread in a significant way, mostly because I'm not so good with Japanese yet.

Nicely done thread by the way.

LaneDS

charlequin said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it -- at least, it doesn't sound like they'll be as fast as the SNES version, certainly.

That's certainly disappointing. At the very least I hope the 3D combat scenes have more "oomph" to them than FF3 did, if that makes any sense. Not only was FF3 painfully slow to play but the animations and sound effects didn't help make it any more likable.

I'm hopeful though, Square continues to impress on the DS so I imagine there will be a lot of small improvements to be found.

ITA84

duckroll said:

Or Persona 2: man, that was annoying! I hope you have a decent mapping radius (that, or a lower encounter rate than the original game).

By the way, since it's been brought to my attention that some people don't like it...

...consider this the Official Final Fantasy IV Post of OMG BIG WHALE.

LunarWhale.png

Spawn99

Banned
Will this game have a story? I played through Final Fantasy II on the DS and couldn't find a story in that game.

Spawn99 said:
Will this game have a story? I played through Final Fantasy II on the DS and couldn't find a story in that game.
Of course it will. FFIV was the first story driven FF game.

I might be getting this, but I'll need to finish quite a lot of games to be able to play it. This is a remake of a game I've played many times, I'm not in too much of a hurry to start. :p

Magicpaint said:
Of course it will. FFIV was the first story driven FF game.

I might be getting this, but I'll need to finish quite a lot of games to be able to play it. This is a remake of a game I've played many times, I'm not in too much of a hurry to start. :p
Um, FFII was quite story driven. Heck, relative to its peers FF1 was incredibly story driven as well. FFII's plot is shorter than FFIV's, but I don't think it's any less complex, cheesy, or noteworthy than IV's.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Spawn99 said:

Was this supposed to be II or III? You can play II on the ds, but I can't really imagine somebody playing through II and then complaining about just the story. So much more to complain about. (Though actually I can't completely imagine somebody playing through FFII).

FFIII was actually made for the DS, so I thought you might mean that. But III had a story. It didn't have much character driven drama, but there was a story and a plot, though not very complex and multilayered. A straightforward plot isn't always a bad thing.

Brandon F

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Was this supposed to be II or III? You can play II on the ds, but I can't really imagine somebody playing through II and then complaining about just the story. So much more to complain about. (Though actually I can't completely imagine somebody playing through FFII).

If anything it has fantabulous music. That FFII overworld theme...wonderful!

Desiderus

CurseoftheGods said:
How's the story in this game? It's one of the few Final Fantasies that I haven't gotten the chance to play.
I personally thought it was horrible with characters ripped out of King Arthur (except not as great) but lots of others seem to love it. I also didn't play it when it came out so that may be the reason.

Looking forward to this anyway. Just because I like to spend money. Love the title picture in the thread topic post.

duckroll

Desiderus said:
I personally thought it was horrible with characters ripped out of King Arthur (except not as great) but lots of others seem to love it. I also didn't play it when it came out so that may be the reason.

Looking forward to this anyway. Just because I like to spend money. Love the title picture in the thread topic post.

Nah, I agree. The FFIV plot was pretty much pulp trash. Lots of different mythological elements meshed together with no real polish or development. Lots of random elements just for the heck of it too. The developments were pretty weak and the plot twists and fake sacrifices were laughable.

I'm really hoping they touch up on a lot of the story elements because FFIV had a pretty bad story. FFV's story might be filled with cheesy lame shit too, but at least FFV knows not to take itself seriously.

Duderz

Banned
That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of art used in the banner. Who is the artist that did that?

I want to see an FFVI DS now, just so I can see what they do with those characters!

Desiderus

duckroll said:
I'm really hoping they touch up on a lot of the story elements because FFIV had a pretty bad story. FFV's story might be filled with cheesy lame shit too, but at least FFV knows not to take itself seriously.
FFV could do anything it wanted! Turtle fighting Exdeath? Check. Rope to help you out a hole but keep going higher when you jump for it? Check. Riding comets? double check.

V just didn't fall into the trap of IV which took itself too seriously and paid for it. V spoiler
Galuf's death was better done then Tellah's
. They adding like 60% of the story that was took out so that may help.

IV did have casting time for spells which was awesome beyond belief.

Top Bottom