• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IV DS Thread

JayDubya

Banned
duckroll said:
Nah, I agree. The FFIV plot was pretty much pulp trash. Lots of different mythological elements meshed together with no real polish or development. Lots of random elements just for the heck of it too. The developments were pretty weak and the plot twists and fake sacrifices were laughable.

I'm really hoping they touch up on a lot of the story elements because FFIV had a pretty bad story. FFV's story might be filled with cheesy lame shit too, but at least FFV knows not to take itself seriously.

You... you shut your whore mouth.

duckroll

JayDubya said:
You... you shut your whore mouth.

Thank you for your feedback

Thank you for contacting us. Your questions and comments are important to us and we will review your inquiry as soon as possible.

Red Scarlet

I'll be getting this for Christmas or shortly thereafter.

One way to avoid the censorship is by using his English name in the JP version, Cain. :)

I'm glad someone made the thread, I was wondering about it and was fixing to ask around if one was going to be made.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'll be gettin' it. I was kinda sad cause I thought it came out this week, so I went looking for it yesterday, d'oh!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Soygen said:
This made me laugh for some reason. ;)

I'm looking forward to the NA release. The automap/map% is pretty cool. First time I've seen that.

I would be lying if I said it was my most anticipated game for next year, so adding the "remake" was perfect.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hcoregamer00 said:
I would be lying if I said it was my most anticipated game for next year, so adding the "remake" was perfect.

Well it's my most anticipated remake of next year that has the Roman Numeral IV in... Oh wait. nevermind.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You forgot Auto Battle under New Features, sort of like SMT games like Nocturne but you can change what the characters will do automatically I believe (could you do that in Nocturne? I can't remember). In any case it should satisfy a few of the complaints about the battles being slow compared to the original. Great job on the topic though!

ccbfan

I was absolutely blown away by FF4's story when I first played it.

Its the game that got me into rpgs. It was the first game I've played with an immersive story,
I was stunned by all the deaths and near deaths (except for Cid's that was stupid), I was so sad when Tella died, he was my best character and he said the greatest line in video game history
A lot of people complain that it was cliche and crap but back in the early 90s it was amazing.

Also anyone notice Rydia and Rosa doing duel magic of some sort on one of the screen shots. When did they add that? Any info on it?

Teasel

FF4 story in a nutshell
four.jpg

(i know this was already posted in the past but it needs to be posted again and again and again)

Desiderus

Yes, I have that saved on my PC and whenever IV gets brought it I go for the picture. Reminds me of the important things.

CO_Andy

I like this new Final Fantasy artist. Shame Squareenix relegated him to those awful Saga games when he should of been Nomura's proper replacement.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Desiderus said:
FFV could do anything it wanted! Turtle fighting Exdeath? Check. Rope to help you out a hole but keep going higher when you jump for it? Check. Riding comets? double check.

V just didn't fall into the trap of IV which took itself too seriously and paid for it. V spoiler
Galuf's death was better done then Tellah's
. They adding like 60% of the story that was took out so that may help.

IV did have casting time for spells which was awesome beyond belief.
About that FFV spoiler:

Galuf's death was awesome. First of all, unlike tellah, he was a main character that was with you for most of the game, rather than one cave. Second of all, the execution was done well.... even when his HP hits zero, galuf continues putting up one helluva fight for another like 10 turns or so :D

I can certainly say that Galuf's death is the most well-done character-death sequence in an FF.

vareon

GaimeGuy said:
About that FFV spoiler:

Galuf's death was awesome. First of all, unlike tellah, he was a main character that was with you for most of the game, rather than one cave. Second of all, the execution was done well.... even when his HP hits zero, galuf continues putting up one helluva fight for another like 10 turns or so :D

I can certainly say that Galuf's death is the most well-done character-death sequence in an FF.

And they actually tried Phoenix Down on him! :D

IV's story might be weak, but it's charming enough for me (at that time) so I'm looking forward to the added scenes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I kinda want to play this with the JP crew, dunno if I should import or what.

edit: I like FF4 story

Red Scarlet

Go for it.

About FF5,
having Galuf use Self-Destruct against X-Death rocks. Cuts right to the chase.
Remember that, Error?

Troidal

In retrospect, the story-telling isn't particularly well done, but if you look at it for its time, I think it's very videogame-ish. For me, FFIV is a constant reminder how much story-telling has improved with cutscenes and voice-overs in the Final Fantasy series.

I'm curious how they've changed all that in this remake, and will it make it better or not? Although for starters, I *hate* the choices for the voice actors because it is very anime-like and Cecil sounds like a pussy. I always imagined him to be a bit more like a troubled warrior under that dark knight armor. I'm not a fan of the art style in the cutscenes either. I mean Rosa just looks...uhgly :-/ And the front cover of the package is also uhgly...man it's turning me off.

Sorry, that's a lot of negatives, but I'd like to pick it up and see what the remake is like. Not buying it day one though...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Red Scarlet said:
Go for it.

About FF5,
having Galuf use Self-Destruct against X-Death rocks. Cuts right to the chase.
Remember that, Error?
I remember, you cut short a dramatic moment! :p

it was neat tho, actually it goes pretty well with the scene
"galuf sacrificed himself to stop Xdeath!"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Does this remake fix the game's pacing? I've only played the GBA version for a few hours but I got bored and didn't like the bad pacing of the story.

Red Scarlet

What did you dislike about the pacing? I enjoyed it quite a bit when I first played it and definitely did on replays since it was so fast to skip most of it.

grandjedi6

Red Scarlet said:
What did you dislike about the pacing? I enjoyed it quite a bit when I first played it and definitely did on replays since it was so fast to skip most of it.

Well I started playing it and the next thing I knew I was in a desert with an old man looking for some potion. I don't know if I skipped something important or not, but this was the first time I've ever found a video game to be moving too fast in terms of plot. Then again, maybe it gets better later on?

Red Scarlet

Did you talk to the townspeople? In older games like FF4, you get a decent chunk of the storyline through NPC's standing around in town. There are a lot of unavoidable main story segments that you can get a large grasp of what's going on, but NPC's play a decent role in some storyline aspects. FF4 plays pretty quick though, it's nowadays (or for awhile) one of the faster-paced storyline games with stuff happening constantly in quick succession. Most of the game is like that, maybe it isn't your thing, though. I rather enjoyed it then and definitely now.

ethelred

Aeana said:
I am, of course. I think ethelred said he might be, but I'm not sure.

I haven't decided yet.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Um, FFII was quite story driven. Heck, relative to its peers FF1 was incredibly story driven as well.

Depends what you mean by its peers. I think Final Fantasy was probably more story focused than Dragon Quest, but compared to, say, Phantasy Star, I think there was much less an emphasis.

Brandon F said:
Yea, it's a great addition.

Also, is there an interview discussing the 75% narrative content shakeup for FFIV? That's a pretty massive amount of plot to merely dissolve, almost sounds like the game had a total RE1.5-esque reboot before hitting Super Famicom.

I think this is kinda a misunderstanding of what was said. My takeaway from that whole bit was that Tokita was saying, "We cut around 75% of the script of the original game, and we're going to be drawing from some of that excised material for new additions in the remake." I don't think he ever said they intended to add all of that back in.

Did they fix the hellacious occurrances of random battles? I tried to play the GBA remake and couldn't make it past where Cecil becomes a paladin....too many random battles and I felt like I was walking in quicksand.

ethelred

WarpToken.com said:
Did they fix the hellacious occurrances of random battles? I tried to play the GBA remake and couldn't make it past where Cecil becomes a paladin....too many random battles and I felt like I was walking in quicksand.

It's hard to fix what isn't broken.

ethelred

WarpToken.com said:
What?! you really liked playing all those meaningless and monotonous battles?

I know it's shocking to hear this, but some people actually like these games which have somehow surprisingly for reasons unbeknownst to all managed to sell millions of copies.

Red Scarlet

Running away is instant unless you're attacked from behind for 90% of the game, I don't really see how it is a problem in this game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I have a secret love of random battles, you know, until I revisit an area in which NPCs would realistically run from me and my hulking army of a 4-person party.

jgwhiteus

Day 1 for this when it comes to the US (whenever that is...)

And I like FFIV's story. It's not "deep", but it's a very grand adventure with a nice sense of scale. The way your world expands - you start out on a small continent, then expand to the entire overworld, then discover there's a huge underworld to explore, and finally ride a giant whale to the moon? - is just great and very satisfying.

And the characters are still pretty memorable, even to this day. They don't have the deep characterization of later FF games, but they were colorful, and most of all distinct - as much as I appreciate character customization in the later games, I think it can steal away from giving characters unique identities in both gameplay and plot. If anyone can cast Ultima, or wield the most powerful sword for 9999 damage, you lose a sense of how each character has a role to play within the party and in the story, and how the characters support and interact with one another.

With FFIV, the fact that you couldn't change jobs meant that you learned to deal with each characters' strengths and weaknesses (e.g. you always had to protect useless Edward) and grew attached to the individuality of each character. Edge will always be kickass for throwing daggers, Rydia is great for casting Bahamut and Meteo, etc. I did like that they included some party customization in the GBA port, though.

And while FFVI's music was better overall, FFIV's music was still pretty great (especially the bridge theme before the last battle, which was just epic, and the Zeromus theme - those trumpets/horns get me every time).

grandjedi6

Red Scarlet said:
Did you talk to the townspeople? In older games like FF4, you get a decent chunk of the storyline through NPC's standing around in town. There are a lot of unavoidable main story segments that you can get a large grasp of what's going on, but NPC's play a decent role in some storyline aspects. FF4 plays pretty quick though, it's nowadays (or for awhile) one of the faster-paced storyline games with stuff happening constantly in quick succession. Most of the game is like that, maybe it isn't your thing, though. I rather enjoyed it then and definitely now.

I always talk to townspeople. I dunno what it is, I've played alot of older RPGs like Dragon Quest and Tales of Phantasia and have been just fine. Maybe its just me, I haven't played many final fantasy titles at all. In fact, the only main line games I've played has been FFI and FFII, despite owning a PSX and PS2

Red Scarlet

4 has a pretty rapid progression, there isn't that much to do between points really. Maybe that's the problem?

I'd love to play FF1 and 2 online, where'd you do it at and which version?

jgwhiteus

grandjedi6 said:
I always talk to townspeople. I dunno what it is, I've played alot of older RPGs like Dragon Quest and Tales of Phantasia and have been just fine. Maybe its just me, I haven't played many final fantasy titles at all. In fact, the online main line games I've played has been FFI and FFII, despite owning a PSX and PS2

No, FFIV is pretty short by today's standards - if you know what you're doing and know where to find everything, etc., you could probably blaze through it in under 10 hours. Normal playthrough is maybe 20-30? It's definitely not a grinding game level-wise, or at least the US version wasn't (which I appreciate).

The plot's admittedly a bit disjointed - you get such disparate objectives. Get the crystal -> save Rosa -> defeat the dark Elf, etc. And I don't remember the townspeople adding much to the plot - they only offer inane dialogue or possible hints. I think the plot is still pretty satisfying overall, though.

Red Scarlet

Well it's been a long time since I've really talked to the townspeople, but I thought a couple in each place or so would give a little boost as to what's going on or why you're going to the next place.

JayDub

To me, FFIV, FFVII, and FFVIII had the most effect on me as an RPG. They are the best games. Im one of the few that didn't like FFVI at all.

FFIV is just so epic in its scope and storyline. For once you're playing a badass, and he was a knight before. Im growing tired of the "underdog" theme in most RPGS.

Red Scarlet

duckroll said:
FFIV DS..... has..... no battle voices? Huh?

I hope that's true..don't really want to hear SHARP STUFF COMING YOUR WAY every time Rosa fires an arrow, or THAT WAS SMASHING whenever Cid swings a hammer.

jgwhiteus

Red Scarlet said:
I hope that's true..don't really want to hear SHARP STUFF COMING YOUR WAY every time Rosa fires an arrow, or THAT WAS SMASHING whenever Cid swings a hammer.

:lol But has any FF game had battle voices / cries? I can't remember any of them having it - I thought it was only weapon / spell sound effects.

grandjedi6

ugghhh how did I misspell "only" as "online'

I don't know what it is about FFIV, the disjointed plot sounds right though. I should really pick up the GBA version again and give it another goal.

Man, my taste in RPGs is so random at times :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ethelred said:
Depends what you mean by its peers. I think Final Fantasy was probably more story focused than Dragon Quest, but compared to, say, Phantasy Star, I think there was much less an emphasis.

Phantasy Star has a story? Evil king kills your brother and you want some revenge is better than four dudes who are just badd enough to get caught in a time paradox?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
jgwhiteus said:
And while FFVI's music was better overall, FFIV's music was still pretty great (especially the bridge theme before the last battle, which was just epic, and the Zeromus theme - those trumpets/horns get me every time).
I disagree....

aside from FFVIII, FFIV is my favorite of the FFs, music wise. (well, and period, actually :lol)

The Dreadful Fight (FFIV) and Battle on the Big Bridge (FFV) never get old....

Red Scarlet

jgwhiteus said:
:lol But has any FF game had battle voices / cries? I can't remember any of them having it - I thought it was only weapon / spell sound effects.

FF10 had voices for when characters would do some battle actions or do a new thing (like when Lulu would cast a new black magic spell for the first time) in battle and at the end of some fights. 12 had grunts and that's it though.

grandjedi6 said:
ugghhh how did I misspell "only" as "online'

I don't know what it is about FFIV, the disjointed plot sounds right though. I should really pick up the GBA version again and give it another goal.

Man, my taste in RPGs is so random at times :/

Oh, I was hoping to be able to play 1 and 2 online easily. :(
I thought it was more rapid-fire than disjointed..there's stuff almost always happening but maybe things move too fast for what you're used to? Compared to FF1 and 2, 4 has more stuff going on constantly I'd say.

Top Bottom