• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True DS games?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
So, I look at the small collection of ds games I own, and they don't really take full advantage of the unique features that the ds has. Sure all ds games, use the touch screen in some form or another. And some use the 2nd screen as a map, and such. But where are the games that truly take advantage of these features, that are actually good? And I mean everything including the touch screen, the 2nd screen, and the mic. Iv just been playing ds games, that could of been done without those unique features, and I want something different. Suggestions?

Alphahawk

Star Fox makes pretty good use of the touch screen although most will probobly find that it'd be easier if Nintendy let you uze traditional controls...

Fredescu

PantherLotus said:
Yes, and the problem with games like this is that they don't include the FUCKING OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!!
Really? I thought the PH controls were great, and considering a lot of the items and travel were based around the stylus, I don't really understand how you could play it without it. PH had other problems but the controls were really cool.

Puzzle Quest could have used an option to turn the stylus off though.

Edit: To the OP, Warioware: Touched and Trauma Center haven't been mentioned yet.

IzumiK

Banned
Frankly, most of those up there that tried to answer the question failed. The closest one would be something like Nintendogs but even it doesn't properly use the 2nd screen well.

Jcgamer60 said:
Ouendan. Can't be done on any other console/handheld.

The Sega Pico could do it. Because all you really need is a touch screen on anything.

Jcgamer60

IzumiK said:
Frankly, most of those up there that tried to answer the question failed. The closest one would be something like Nintendogs but even it doesn't properly use the 2nd screen well.

The Sega Pico could do it. Because all you really need is a touch screen on anything.

Hmm... The sound quality on the DS version is bad enough :D

M3d10n

I don't understand these people who crop up once questioning why there aren't vast amounts of DS games that use all of the system features extensively, as if it was mandatory for validating the platform's existence.

So, are PS2 games which don't use all dualshock2's features not true PS2 games as well?

Games that use the mic for "yelling" should be taken out back and beaten to fucking death.

durrr i'm nintendo i seem to have no concept of the fact that people play their portables in public places durr

Phantom Hourglass is in a snowbank somewhere on North Main St of Winnipeg now because of that shit.

PantherLotus said:
Yes, and the problem with games like this is that they don't include the FUCKING OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!!
yeah! I stopped playing it when I had to blow the DS to open the doors in the first dungeon! Why is there no button to immitate the blowing? If I'm at the university I can not blow my DS goddamnit!
And at home I do not play DS, but PC and Wii :)

Caesar III said:
yeah! I stopped playing it when I had to blow the DS to open the doors in the first dungeon! Why is there no button to immitate the blowing? If I'm at the university I can not blow my DS goddamnit!
And at home I do not play DS, but PC and Wii :)

Don't blame Nintendo because you could do something as simple as TAPPING THE MIC

Lobster

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Games that use the mic for "yelling" should be taken out back and beaten to fucking death.

durrr i'm nintendo i seem to have no concept of the fact that people play their portables in public places durr

Phantom Hourglass is in a snowbank somewhere on North Main St of Winnipeg now because of that shit.

You must've forgot to talk that guy after yelling into the mic..

:lol

He basically tells you, instead of yelling why not snap your fingers instead?

Andy787

Banned
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Trauma Center
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk

That's pretty much it.

zoku88

Segata Sanshiro said:

Ugh, I hated having to blow onto my screen when I was at the airport with some friends. There were looking at me oddly >_<

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ZealousD said:
Nintendogs and Brain Age.

Oh wait, DS games.

Sorry.

HAHAHA WOW ARE YOU SAYING THOSE ARE NON GAMES?? WHAT A NEW AND FUNNY JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Blackace said:
HAHAHA WOW ARE YOU SAYING THOSE ARE NON GAMES?? WHAT A NEW AND FUNNY JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sense some sarcasm here. Can't be too sure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The vast majority of all DS games that use the mic for something obnoxious can accomplish the same effect with a button or the touchscreen.

Select for pumping balloons in MK:DS

Touching for Objecting in Phoenix Wright

In fact, Nintendogs is the only game I can think of that doesn't.

Nintendogs is a powerful game. Normally you just get strange looks from playing it in public, but one of my friends got his current girlfriend that way.

DaBargainHunta said:
Did you even read the original post? What he's asking for are games that take full advantage of the DS's capabilities. The thread you linked to, while definitely awesome, does not necessarily cover that ground.

Sure did.

Jea Song said:
Suggestions?

A recommendation thread is a recommendation thread no matter how you paint it. The madness must stop.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man God said:
Nintendogs is a powerful game. Normally you just get strange looks from playing it in public, but one of my friends got his current girlfriend that way.

:lol

"Here, boy!"
"You talkin' to me?"

Zoramon089 said:
Don't blame Nintendo because you could do something as simple as TAPPING THE MIC
It doesn't work every time! It worked for the scream loud to "someone come out".

But thats not it! There should be a button for this! It's a cool feature, but I don't want to have to do it.

PantherLotus said:

I love the skeleton in the Temple of the Ocean King who says, "It's no fun playing the game with only the touch screen... saying that before I died is my only regret."

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ontamarama. It uses EVERYTHING.

I think the game is fun, but it sure can get hectic.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Segata Sanshiro said:

Just blowing into the DS mic maxes out the receiving volume. Of course you're still blowing into the mic in public, but it's better than screaming.

The mic really should only be used for games like nintendogs and brainage that have speech recognition. When it's forced in, it always sucks.

Though really, I've always thought it'd be cool if Ouendan had an optional setting so you'd have to OSU! into the mic at certain times.

Top Bottom