• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New HOME screens of advanced version

KTallguy said:
This is exactly the kind of content I'd love to see too.

Man though, with dev cycles how they are, it'll be tough for a lot of companies to do THIS much work in Home, unless they see a significant return on investment.

This may not work in quite the same way, but very often production companies and the creative staff working on a film don't cut their own trailers but basically hire a 'trailer firm' that creates one or several for them like a specialized ad agency.

There could be smaller dev houses out that that specialize in creating HOME spaces for publishers to promote their upcoming product.

(This of course assumes that HOME develops in a way to allow for a promotional dev studio ecosystem)

EDIT:
Wollan said:
A simple room shouldn't be too hard. You just rip out a Maya level chunk and put it on a Home server more or less.

And that might be what will allow developers the comfort zone to demonstrate stuff that's earlier in development. Even if things are in a bit of a rough state, HOME users will give it a bit of a break because the assets are running out of the context of the game engine it was designed for.

Schrade

Ploid 3.0 said:
2qurxjp.png

Might be too big. Any smaller and the text is hard to read. I always have that problem making comics.
That was awesome heh. Kittonwy in Home.. just what we all want to see :p

Ploid 3.0

I wish Home brought new life to games like calling all cars, and super puzzle fighter. Like if being in someone's home was like entering their party system. They can launch any game from their hdd and everyone in the house would enter that game. If they don't have the game they'd be able to watch a video feed to spectate and voice chat with the people in the house. This would also make the people that don't have the game want it a bit more even if it's old. Not sure if it would ever be possible for that spectate without game feature to happen ever though.

Evander

"industry expert"
Ploid 3.0 said:
I wish Home brought new life to games like calling all cars, and super puzzle fighter. Like if being in someone's home was like entering their party system. They can launch any game from their hdd and everyone in the house would enter that game. If they don't have the game they'd be able to watch a video feed to spectate and voice chat with the people in the house. This would also make the people that don't have the game want it a bit more even if it's old. Not sure if it would ever be possible for that spectate without game feature to happen ever though.

I don't think the spectate thing would be too difficult.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of it, but how different would it be from watching a video on your PSP over remote play? It would just kinda be like streaming the audio and video to the spectators.

I always thought HOME could be used to have a virtual E3. If you couldnt make it to the actual E3, a virtual one in home could be created giving access to everything there.

gcubed

Ploid 3.0 said:

i agree with your sentiments on bringing back older games that ahve gone under the radar. I dont know if i am in the minority here, but i love CAC's but its hard to find a decent game in there anymore, and at times its just empty. Some kind of themed area would be awesome so you can find other people interested in the same things. I'd use it for this

Madman

gcubed said:
i agree with your sentiments on bringing back older games that ahve gone under the radar. I dont know if i am in the minority here, but i love CAC's but its hard to find a decent game in there anymore, and at times its just empty. Some kind of themed area would be awesome so you can find other people interested in the same things. I'd use it for this
I think some sort of bulliten board in Home would be cool. So that way someone could post something like "Calling All Cars game 5:00 PM PST Room XXXXXXXXX" since building a dedicated room would be difficult.

Norml

Is the sports lounge stuff still going to happen?
23vkc2d.png

If lots of places make mini games like that it would be sweet.
14wt6d4.png

iceatcs

I really hope this GDC will show more about 'world map'.

From this picture look like some publishers will have own space.

WTFing

Banned
Wollan said:
It's the 'world map'. GDC March 2007 edition.
I like this picture because it's simple as the xmb, but at the same time it shows how Home needs a robust infrastructure and some solid partners to 'share' their content.
I'll wait patiently.

Kevin

It would be cool if they had a simple SDK set for people to create small indie games that can be played through a HOME arcade room or something.

FightyF

Banned
Wollan said:
A simple room shouldn't be too hard. You just rip out a Maya level chunk and put it on a Home server more or less.

Of course there's a little bit more than that to account for collision detection and keeping with Home's standards and I'm sure you know that, but yes, I would guess that it would be a fairly simple process.

Madman said:
I think some sort of bulliten board in Home would be cool. So that way someone could post something like "Calling All Cars game 5:00 PM PST Room XXXXXXXXX" since building a dedicated room would be difficult.

I think Clan meeting rooms (with a password to get into) would be perfect for ideas like this.

Just imagine a GAF clan meeting room. Imagine seeing a good number of people in there (just like an open space, perhaps 64?), and so you could find people down for CaC, or Warhawk, or Resistance...the more people there the more likely it is to find people wanting to play your favourite game.

And what excites me is that it seems that things are open enough for these ideas to come to fruition.

LordK

A surprise release during gdc would be nice. But then again, chicken mcnuggets being the source of all healthiness would be nice too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Almost more interesting from that PSN link..

Under Friends & Messaging (not in the Home section), it says:

"Talk to others during game play,"

Maybe I'm reading too much into that...I know you can do voice chat in some games, but that's not really a part of "friends & messaging" functionality at the moment..

For reference, the current Friends & Messaging page doesn't explicitly say that:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/friends

Darkpen

Banned
ahh, the potentials of home... I just hope people take a real advantage of the tech and social networking it potentially provides (neogaf Home lobby? yes, please. Collective viewing of the 1up show? Definitely. Live podcasts? Sign me up.)

Norml

Here is another rumour at PS forums.

Real?

The following is from a Private Message with someone to remain nameless. I am not gonna name names and throw this person under the bus.

"Do you know what PSedge tools are?

Basically, it's a development environment filled with code libraries that allow developers to have an easier time integrating their game code to work with the PS3.

Anyways, very exciting stuff happened on Monday (The one that just past). The PSedge dev kits, recieved an update. So whatever, we take a look, and the major addition, was that the TRC's were updated, and the new HOME libraries were brought in.

What does this mean? A TRC is a checklist of things a game must have for Sony to approve, in order for them to give the "Go-Ahead" on releasing the game on their console. This checklist has things like: Can't crash, Load times under 10 seconds, and things like that.

Two new ones were added: A game must be able to integrate into Home, a game must support "Accomplishments". Right there, two important things, the PS3 system for achievements is called "Accomplishments", and Home is coming out VERY VERY VERY Soon.

Then, we got a changelog, and in-game XMB is almost worked out. Every game that's coming out now, supports in-game XMB, every game that already came out, has to get patched. (Naturally, only first party games will get a patch, I doubt Ubisoft is going to patch Assassin's Creed).

So yeah, it boils down to, Sony got everything figured out. I don't know what's the hold up, but from a developers perspective, HOME is set up and completed, and In-Game XMB is on the verge of being completed and released."
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3home&thread.id=121386

Madman

This would have been a more worthwhile bump if you had posted the new Warhawk info. Right now, it's a rumor from the PS boards, which are not exactly known for their accuracy. "ZOMG 2.0 FEATURES!!11!!!1" anyone?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Well since Home was announced last GDC, we could at least expect a release date at this one, can't we? Hope its real.

tanod

when is my burrito
There was another post on page 10 where a different poster says that somebody who is a dev said that there was an SDK update this week.

I hate rumors like this.

tanod said:
There was another post on page 10 where a different poster says that somebody who is a dev said that there was an SDK update this week.

I hate rumors like this.
I love them if they turn out to be true. In theory, at least, since that's never happened.

TONX said:
Well since Home was announced last GDC, we could at least expect a release date at this one, can't we? Hope its real.

I think the only way we'll get a release date is if they're really sure that it's coming out then. I don't think they want to have to delay it again and piss people off. So they could hold back on it until the know for sure.

teepo

it's already pretty much confirmed that it's going into open beta. they're not translating the new version into various languages for nothing.

Top Bottom