• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm has sold 3 million copies? :o

pswii60

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92872
MotorStorm developer Evolution Studios has said that it wants to "dominate reaction racing for a long time".

Asked about the future of MotorStorm as part of a feature exploring the game's first year of downloadable add-ons, gameplay producer Jed Ashworth said the question "goes way beyond downloadable content".

"We have the aim of turning our launch-window title into a sustained, massive brand," he said. "We plan to dominate reaction racing for a long time. We'd never aim any lower."

Ashworth declined to comment on plans for MotorStorm 2, but confirmed that the first game's considerable support since launch wasn't getting in the way of development.

"The picture some people have of us all working on [MotorStorm DLC] is somewhat off the mark," he said. "We're a multiple-project developer now."

MotorStorm launched alongside the PlayStation 3 in Europe, and has sold more than 3 million copies worldwide, making it one of the Sony platform's most successful games.
Pretty impressive. Can't wait to see MotorStorm 2 (less of the brown, please).

It's been bundled, in Europe at least, for quite some time. Still good numbers though, I didn't love the game but it seems like the sequel could be fantastic.

Rezbit

pswii60 said:
Pretty impressive. Can't wait to see MotorStorm 2 (less of the brown, please).

Yep. Motorstorm was pretty decent, but could have been better. If they sink enough dev time into #2 it could be unreal.

Greg

... and 3 million asked - where is the rest of the game?

I'm still bitter about my launch purchase. :lol

jakncoke

Banned
did not see that coming, too bad I feel cheated. really wished they would have packed more content into the game.

pswii60

Rezbit said:
Yep. Motorstorm was pretty decent, but could have been better. If they sink enough dev time into #2 it could be unreal.
The first game, despite its problems, is definitely what I would call "exhilarating". I just want to see them take that to a whole new level in the sequel, in new environments etc.

Kosma

Banned
Greg said:

Yeah I wouldn't be too happy either if I spend 60 euro on it.

As a bundled in game it's awesome though. Can't wait for a sequel with some real content justifying a full price.

Tieno

Even considering bundles, that's pretty good and means lots of people played the game. Flawed as it is, it's my favourite PS3 launch game.

Crusade

Hopefully they make the sequel a better game. It has potential. More variety and more features would help for starters

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Yuck, counting bundles seems kinda cheap.

While I didn't like the game, the tech have me excited about future posibilities.

pswii60

Sol.. said:
Yuck, counting bundles seems kinda cheap.

While I didn't like the game, the tech have me excited about future posibilities.
Yeah, the tech was weird. Looks pretty bad in most screenshots, but in motion it looks insane. I particularly liked the lighting, although the shadows need serious work. Hopefully they'll implement the shadowing engine from Uncharted.

Tieno

jasonbay said:
over RFOM? that's interesting.
Yes. I recognize and see the flaws Motorstorm has, but there was something in that game that resonated with me, that I latched onto, which I didn't have with Resistance (that's not to say I didn't enjoy Resistance). But Motorstorm felt like something very new to me.

If they can execute on the same level as Criterion can with Burnout idea (I don't mean open world), than Motorstorm 2 would probably overtake Paradise for me.

Ello

The thing that ruined Motorstorm for me was those damn long load times. Took forever to get into a race, even worse in the online.

If they fix those things in Motorstorm 2 and have more tracks and not only desert tracks it will be the best racer ever.

But 3 mil is a really impressive numbers

Xater

They had the mechanics down nicely in the first game. The second game just needs more content and shorter load times. Should be an achieveable task...

jett

D-Member
Show MS2 already, and release it this year. I want a full MS game badly, but I don't want a gimped one neither...the demo is getting old. :p

Melchiah

If the sequel will include a split-screen two player mode, more diverse tracks, and get rid of the rubber band AI, I'll be all for it.

jakncoke

Banned
Tieno said:
Yes. I recognize and see the flaws Motorstorm has, but there was something in that game that resonated with me, that I latched onto, which I didn't have with Resistance (that's not to say I didn't enjoy Resistance). But Motorstorm felt like something very new to me.

If they can execute on the same level as Criterion can with Burnout idea (I don't mean open world), than Motorstorm 2 would probably overtake Paradise for me.

Indeed felt like something to me as well, here's to hoping they add way more content with #2

They should add snow environments as well as the incar view they showed in the original trailer. Incar views should be in all racing games this gen.

methane47

Outcast2004 said:
Am I the only one that's NOT impressed by the game?
It controls like ass and is nothing spectacular visually....

PHLOLANX

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Greg said:

I didn't.

Game deservers every penny of those 3 Million, and more.

Melchiah said:
If the sequel will include a split-screen two player mode, more diverse tracks, and get rid of the rubber band AI, I'll be all for it.
You won't be all for it then.

Sanjay

really loved the concept of MotorStorm, mad max style racing but the game was just missing something, i dunno what thou, I tried to complete it all but got to round 50% and got bored. have high hopes for motorstorm 2, with 2 years added development should be way better then the original.

Atomspike

the vehicles models and track design is where the game shines the most , for full mayhem type racing , this is the game to get .

methane47 said:
PHLOLANX

Excuse me? Sorry, I'm multiplatform and it's just nothing special like it's hyped up to be.
Just because there's not much else on the system, it doesn't automatically make me look past it's faults.
You play the game and it never feels like you are in control of your car. Just plain sluggish.

Busty

Banned
"The picture some people have of us all working on [MotorStorm DLC] is somewhat off the mark," he said. "We're a multiple-project developer now".

So, Motorstorm DLC, Motorstorm 2, and.....something else.

Interesting.

Top Bottom