• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ninja Gaiden DS thread of scratching ninjas to death

Mamesj

Banned
ng7pec.jpg

Basic info:
Release Dates:
U.S.: Ships 3/25/08
Japan: 3/20/08
Europe: ???

Publisher: Tecmo
Developer: Team Ninja

What the hell is this game?
It's a 3D Ninja Gaiden game on the DS! With the DS in book stance and controls done completely on the touch screen (aside from blocking, which is done with any button on the DS), you get to take on an adventure that takes place between Ninja Gaiden I and II (3D versions, not NES.) With pre-rendered backgrounds, nice character models, and huge 3D bosses, the game pushes the DS all the way to make one of the best looking DS games yet.

Is there a mode for us lefties?
Yes. but you should be ashamed of yourself for being born left handed.

So...I hate Ninja Gaiden with a passion. What's different about this?
--touch screen controls that work extremely well (aside from the few platforming moments in the game, according to reviews)
--tracing kanji to use ninpo
--A new character named Momiji (a kunoichi) who you get to play as in the opening level
--A return to classic Ninja Gaiden cutscenes with hand drawn shots and text to tell the story (No voice acting.)
--But otherwise, this is portable 3D Ninja Gaiden and if you hate that, then you hate freedom.

how long is it? what unlockables and extra features does it have?
5-6 hours on normal mode, which is supposedly very easy. Beating normal unlocks hard mode, which is supposedly a difficulty more in tune with hardcore fans, though not anywhere near the harder difficulties in the Xbox and PS3 versions.

There are also online scoreboards.

Shit. I forgot to pre-order and/or I'm boycotting gamestop. What did I miss out on?

Sucks to be you.

A Dragon Sword Stylus:
16989-noscale-Tecmo%20party%20020.jpg

Reviews:
GameSpot - 8.5 out of 10
GameSpy - 4 out of 5
IGN - 8.6 out of 10
1UP - A-
Nintendo Power - 8.5 out of 10
GameTrailers - 8.8 out of 10
GamePro - 4 out of 5
Hardcore Gamer Magazine - 4.25 out of 5
----85% average on gamerankings

Pics

24yoco1.jpg

rsgb5c.jpg

qyxs8x.jpg

2ccv75z.jpg

11v302f.jpg

TV Commercials
U.S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEU5qwQOQY

Japan:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32015.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32016.html
Enjoy!

and let me know if I left anything out. I just threw this together in a minute.

Mamesj

Banned
He's going to kill me in my sleep for forgetting that.

and do I hear crickets in here? Is anyone excited for this? :lol

I'm interested.. but not really excited to be honest. But then again I haven't touched my DS in a while(after having used it hardcore for a couple of months.)

Will probably pick it up in a month or two once I get back into my "DS groove" again.

KevinCow

Banned
So is it as impossibly hard as the Xbox one or is there an easier mode for little girl gamers such as myself? I thought the demo was alright, but I don't want to buy a game that I'll never be able to beat.

Haha, been waiting a while for this. Only thing that could make it better would be if the NES games were unlockable on the cartridge, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Jazzy Network said:
Gah I just wish it wasn't so short. i really want to play it though and I'll probably bite the bullet.
I heard we're not allowed to talk about how short the game is

KevinCow said:
So is it as impossibly hard as the Xbox one or is there an easier mode for little girl gamers such as myself? I thought the demo was alright, but I don't want to buy a game that I'll never be able to beat.
Every review I've seen says the game is very easy on the starting difficulty. I don't think you have anything to work about.

Proven

mjc said:
This should be in stores tomorrow, right?

As I've learned the very, very hard way, games are rarely there on Tuesdays. If you want a game on the date given, either it's been heavily hyped and pre-shipped, released on the weekend (same as the first choice), or it's Nintendo published and being released at Nintendo World so they have it in there on that Monday (do I need to say it again?).

Earliest you'll see it anywhere is Wednesday probably, and that's only for major chains like Gamestop.

Mamesj

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
Oh wow... I'm so jealous of that little plastic sword.

That's what she said. TO YOU. oh so burned.

Ken Masters said:
what's the replay value with this game?

after normal mode, there's hard mode and that's about it as far as I know. If you're into rankings, there's an online scoreboard to compete with.

Kai Ozu

Seriously the best handheld game I’ve played since the original Pokémon. I'm playing it over for the third time and it's still awesome.

I don't like what I'm reading about the difficulty. It reminds me of DMC1 where easy was too easy but hard was too hard to be enjoyable for those of us who are only mildly hardcore. Where is a good in-between???

I'm getting it from Gamefly this week, which seems like the perfect way to experience the game. I don't see enough here to justify a $30 purchase, but I'm still looking forward to plowing through it on normal!

botticus

Free overnight shipping from EB. Wasn't thrilled with the price but I have finished all my other games so I need something to play.

I, for one, welcome the easy normal mode.

Johnas

dammitmattt said:
I don't like what I'm reading about the difficulty. It reminds me of DMC1 where easy was too easy but hard was too hard to be enjoyable for those of us who are only mildly hardcore. Where is a good in-between???

Normal?

Did I just take some bait

Oh OK, Normal is a little too easy. Gotcha.

Mamesj

Banned
Warrior300 said:
The animation style of the cut-scenes in this game is awesomeness.

It's taken off of the style used in the original NES trilogy:
9g8rx4.png

67pbag.png

Very cool of Team Ninja to use it in the DS version. very nostalgic for me :)

Well, my copy ships today and is supposed to be here by Friday. Can't wait to play through it!

Smokey

I'm still debating on if I should get this. . I haven't played my DS in months. The last game I bought was NSMB o_O

Mamesj

Banned
Smokey Bones said:
I'm still debating on if I should get this. . I haven't played my DS in months. The last game I bought was NSMB o_O

Dooo it. This isn't a usual overhyped DS game, it's actually fun :)

LiK

nice, my preorder should ship today. can't wait to get that stylus too. looks better than i thought in that OP pic

LiK said:
nice, my preorder should ship today. can't wait to get that stylus too. looks better than i thought in that OP pic

Yea it's nice. I'm hoping that it is 35 retail though. A lot of games at Gamestop are 5 bucks over retail and I don't know if that stylus is worth 5 bucks.

Top Bottom