• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ninja Gaiden DS thread of scratching ninjas to death

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Mamesj said:
It gets harder. you've played about 5 minutes at this point, eh?

The underground mausoleum in particular, when the cat chicks and zombies appear, is somewhat tough.

I couldn't fucking see at that point but I could still kill. Weaksauce on normal. Homework time now. My feelings now that I've figured out the visibilty is that it's a decent game but it's not the Xbox version or anything close.

Mamesj

Banned
QVT said:
I couldn't fucking see at that point but I could still kill. Weaksauce on normal. Homework time now. My feelings now that I've figured out the visibilty is that it's a decent game but it's not the Xbox version or anything close.

yeah, I was expecting a remake of the Xbox version too. Just look at those sharp knees on Momiji! This is way below my standa

ntb825

Put about two hours into it tonight. Awesome, awesome game. Love the controls, love the pacing, REALLY love the graphics (for a DS game)

a Master Ninja said:
So...Hayashi played a bigger role in the project than Itagaki? I can't recall a single interview with Hayashi where he mentioned this game.

I belive that Itagaki told to the press that he was the director, maybe he move to other game and let Hayashi be the director. I can belive the fact that Itagaki directed DOAX2 and not NGII and NGDS.

Jcgamer60

Really good game; fast paced, fun, nice art, great music etc...

Difficulty ramps up a bit in chapter 4.

On chapter 5. Anyway, well done team ninja.

Finally a DS game in 3D that doesn't look ugly. All 3D ds games should mix it up with pre-rendered.

Mrbob

This game is so awesome.

Finished the first couple chapters, and am shocked how well this game controls with the stylus. Make no mistake about it, Ninja Gaiden DS is tailored towards the DS fanbase meaning it is somewhat easy for us Ninja Gaiden vets, but it doesn't detract from the fun. It is nice to see how much of a real game this is as well and not some sort of side project. I like how the story takes place 6 months after the events of Ninja Gaiden Xbox and continues on from there.

Such an amazing package tailor made for the DS, yet it doesn't lose its sensibilities in the process. Go get this game. :D

Oh, and having a remix NES musical theme at the start of each chapter is a great nostalgic touch.

After playing this I would love to see what Team Ninja could do with the Wii and a Ninja Gaiden game on that platform.

cicero

QVT said:
It took you how long to figure out how to hold the game so you could see and not simply blindly chicken scratch at the screen to kill enemies, which you then complained weren't difficult enough? But now the myriad of whiny complaints is reduced down to "it's not the Xbox version or anything close."??

Go finish your homework or something. Seriously.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
cicero said:
It took you how long to figure out how to hold the game so you could see and not simply blindly chicken scratch at the screen to kill enemies, which you then complained weren't difficult enough? But now the myriad of whiny complaints is reduced down to "it's not the Xbox version or anything close."??

Go finish your homework or something. Seriously.

let me be clear here.

I was under the impression there was no left handed option. There is. That fixed the problem of having my hand over the screen so it wasn't visible. The game isn't difficult enough on normal. They should have allowed you to choose at least hard from the start.

And it anything close to the Xbox version. My dislike for it doesn't change how much fun you can have with it.

Also unskippable cutscenes.

Nemesis_

I'm already stuck. I've beaten the second boss in the Monastey and now I'm in some underworld place where there's a lot of stone circles. One of them activates, I go back to my village and find two people. The little boy explains how to kill some swallow thing and then I do that, get a Wood Amulet, and now I'm stuck. I'm able to move between both worlds but got nothing / nowhere to go.

Draft

Yeah.

Blow on the mic.

Goddamnit, Nintendo DS.

Anyway, this game took me a few minutes to warm up to, but now I am pretty hooked.

Some of the mechanics were weird for me at first. I kept trying to draw lines from Ryu through the enemy I wanted to slash, but that wasn't really working out. Once I figured out that he'll move on his own towards something I slash, I started to chop stuff up much neater.

The only power move I have so far is the Izuna Drop, but it's satisfying to pull off.

I really enjoy this game. It is not Ninja Gaiden. I mean it is, it has the setting and the characters and you can feel some of the console Ninja Gaiden influence, but it's very much it's own beast, and that's a good thing!

Nemesis_

Up to the large red kinda boss >_> dunno how else to describe it - maybe Gilgamesh from FFVII? No, not Gilgamesh - Diablo.

Anyway, I'm a tad disappointed the environments are pretty much lifted from the old game. But I guess it's still a pretty fun romp

zigg

_dementia said:
This is probably retailing for $35 because its one of the 2Gb/256MB cards.
It couldn't surprise me considering the quality of the sound and and assets.

It's a 1Gb (128MB) card, not a 2Gb card.

Love the game, though, mic-blowing aside. I'm not a series vet, for the record.

M3d10n

Draft said:
I really enjoy this game. It is not Ninja Gaiden. I mean it is, it has the setting and the characters and you can feel some of the console Ninja Gaiden influence, but it's very much it's own beast, and that's a good thing!
The same could be said about the original Xbox version.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mrbob said:
After playing this I would love to see what Team Ninja could do with the Wii and a Ninja Gaiden game on that platform.

picks self up off of the floor

Did you really just say that? Coming from you, that is a bit of a stunner.

But I also agree. :D

Pretty shocking how little attention this one has gotten. I guess everyone is playing Crisis Core on their PSP's this week, eh?

Draft

M3d10n said:
The same could be said about the original Xbox version.
Perhaps it could. What a series! Reinventing itself for every platform it hits. A true ninja, a chameleon, liquid game design. Team Ninja be praised.

Superblatt said:
Pretty shocking how little attention this one has gotten. I guess everyone is playing Crisis Core on their PSP's this week, eh?

If they like boring games then I can understand why they're not playing this.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Superblatt said:
There's quite a lack of action in CC's official thread too, considering it's a FF7 game.

MCD

Draft said:
Perhaps it could. What a series! Reinventing itself for every platform it hits. A true ninja, a chameleon, liquid game design. Team Ninja be praised.
:lol :lol :lol

insane as ever.

Mrbob

So what do you guys think of the regenerative health feature?

I see we get a preview of the NG2 health regeneration in Ninja Gaiden DS. I really don't think it is needed in the DS version since the game really isn't that tough, but will be a nice touch with Ninja Gaiden 2 since the game will be much harder. Won't have to worry about using health potions as much, just slice up enemies as you go and move onto the next set.

Mamesj

Banned
Mrbob said:
So what do you guys think of the regenerative health feature?

I see we get a preview of the NG2 health regeneration in Ninja Gaiden DS. I really don't think it is needed in the DS version since the game really isn't that tough, but will be a nice touch with Ninja Gaiden 2 since the game will be much harder. Won't have to worry about using health potions as much, just slice up enemies as you go and move onto the next set.

It is pretty nice. I was worried it would make things too easy, but honestly, it has saved my butt a few times. I think the game has a pretty nice intro difficulty. I've only died like 3 times, but I've come close to death a lot. The healing ninpo saves my butt too.

it'll be better in NG2--anything that keeps you away from constantly using the menu is good. It'll be balanced with the difficulty too, so those aren't 100% hardcore will appreciate it.

Mrbob

Mamesj said:
It is pretty nice. I was worried it would make things too easy, but honestly, it has saved my butt a few times. I think the game has a pretty nice intro difficulty. I've only died like 3 times, but I've come close to death a lot. The healing ninpo saves my butt too.

it'll be better in NG2--anything that keeps you away from constantly using the menu is good. It'll be balanced with the difficulty too, so those aren't 100% hardcore will appreciate it.

Yeah I think I'm starting to like it too, since it seems like you can't get potions in the DS game. It keeps the flow of the battle more consistent. You aren't pausing in a menu to gain back any life. Just keep on fighting.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
*finished Chapter One*

Oh I likes what i'm touching here, pretty fun

they probably gonna tell me but, How do you do air combos? Up than what?

Mamesj

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
*finished Chapter One*

Oh I likes what i'm touching here, pretty fun

they probably gonna tell me but, How do you do air combos? Up than what?

down, up, then up again for a izuna drop. you can juggle them after the first "up" but I don't think there are any legit air combos.

I'm pretty confused as to how to do the Izuna Drop. I can get them into the air, but how do I bring them down? I've only done it once on accident.

Mamesj

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
I'm pretty confused as to how to do the Izuna Drop. I can get them into the air, but how do I bring them down? I've only done it once on accident.

you slice up to get them in the air, then just slice up again and Ryu should jump up and do the pile driver. If the enemy doesn't launch with the first "up" slice, then you can't do the Izuna Drop.

Bebpo said:
This game is fucking awesome!!!

Itagaki bow bow

How do you do UTs? I just finished level 2.

Move the stylus left and right rapidly over Ryu, then he will start to charge up. Just stop moving to release the UT.

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
I'm on chapter 5 at the moment (playing now and then when the store is empty as there is really nothing I can do here today) and I'm digging it so far. A bit too easy, but I'll most likely play through again on hard. I do wish there was more unlockables than just a higher difficulty, though.

Mamesj

Banned
Something no reviews or anyone has seemed to mention-- if you go back into a portal for a stage you've finished, you can do a fiend challenge there for a wooden tablet. They're pretty fun, you fight like 100 enemies or something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really like it so far, but I feel kind of out of control at times...like Meteos or something, scribbling quickly often can achieve better results than I feel I'm capable of playing normally.

I do like doing the izuna drop! The flying swallow is nice, but the one move where you jump and slash downward is kind of too...lock-on ish.

Still, this is really like the fastest paced handheld action game ever.

MCD

Mikey 2x4 said:
I'm on chapter 5 at the moment (playing now and then when the store is empty as there is really nothing I can do here today) and I'm digging it so far. A bit too easy, but I'll most likely play through again on hard. I do wish there was more unlockables than just a higher difficulty, though.
The Way of Kunoichi
To play through the enitre game as Momiji, select the hard difficulty level, survive the fight with Ryu and successfully defeat the dragon boss. A new difficulty will be unlocked - The Way of Kunoichi. Begin a new game to access it.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/code/938848.html

McDragon said:
The Way of Kunoichi
To play through the enitre game as Momiji, select the hard difficulty level, survive the fight with Ryu and successfully defeat the dragon boss. A new difficulty will be unlocked - The Way of Kunoichi. Begin a new game to access it.

Wat?

The Boss Dragon kicked my ass with 3 hits, and you almost don't do damage to him, and that on Normal.

There's the gift for the hardcore players of the series.

Narag

Y2Kev said:
I really like it so far, but I feel kind of out of control at times...like Meteos or something, scribbling quickly often can achieve better results than I feel I'm capable of playing normally.

I do like doing the izuna drop! The flying swallow is nice, but the one move where you jump and slash downward is kind of too...lock-on ish.
Still, this is really like the fastest paced handheld action game ever.

I've appreciated that aspect thus far.

McDragon said:
The Way of Kunoichi

Sounds fucking awesome. :lol

Mikey 2x4

I just got to the beginning of chapter 7. Chapter 6 had a couple of moments where I was a bit stuck but them remembered about having to blow into the mic. Awesome, but since its not normal for action games I usually end up forgetting all about it. The boss battle at the end of chapter 6 was a pretty cool throwback (and a bit of a bitch until I finally realized the pattern). I'm still enjoying the game, though. Looking forward to the higher difficulty, though.

Mikey 2x4

botticus said:
Just started Chapter 4. Chapter 3 definitely stepped up the difficulty a bit.

4 is a bit more difficult, mainly because those zombies are about some bastards at times.

KTallguy

Banned
I was pretty impressed with my 15-20 minutes of play today!
I was actually pulling off moves with some consistency, which I did not expect given the interface choice.

Great job Team Ninja!

Top Bottom