• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Anyone Else Get "Memory Spasms"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
This happens to me a lot, and has been growing worse as I get older. Bad memories from the past just suddenly and randomly come up so strongly that I lose track of everything else. It's so strong that I react visibly (yelping out someone's name for example). It's never a good memory, and happens a lot when I wake up without much sleep.

I've noticed that my father has had these. For as long as I can remember he's been randomly calling out names and recently explained that it's because memories come up. I think it might be genetic.

Does anyone else get these?

My friends and I came across Aliens last night...and no one could think of the name of the guy from "Mad About You." For like 10 minutes, we kept spouting out completely wrong names, and then just gave up.

About 30 minutes later, when he popped up in a scene, it just came to me, and I yelled, "PAUL REISER!"

Does that count?

I don't say anything out loud, but sometimes floods of bad memories do come into my mind. Also it can happen at any time of day for me...it seems to be triggered by little events that happen. edit: events that might remind me of something that I don't like about myself, which brings up all sorts of memories from earlier years in school...etc

If they're bad memories that I don't want to think about, I usually try to slow down and just think about it for a while. I think we don't let ourselves get over certain things (some things really can't be gotten over), and from time to time they tend to come back and haunt us. So, if possible, try to reason your way through it and try to move on...

Yes. It sounds crazy but yes. And I think I might be going crazy. Well, not really but I'm sure it ain't good.

My advice? See a shrink or a counsellor or something to that effect. No, I'm not being a typical internet ass - I'm being serious. I'm pretty sure it happens to me because of stuff I'm not dealing with or repressing. And why do people repress? Because they can't deal with shit on their own.

So, you're not nuts. But you - like me - probably need help.

Zyzyxxz

yeah sometimes I just forget a word in english which I dont use often.

Probably due to me trying to keep up with French, Cantonese Chinese, and a little bit of Mandarin Chinese from time to time.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I do have those and they cause me to have severe mood swings, usually anger or depression. My mom has the same issue; we've never spoken about it, but I can tell.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I have this... sometimes it moves me so much I nearly tear up, and sometimes it happens with memories that haven't even really happened.

Schrade

Yeah this happens to me a lot too. I usually just go "Fucking fuck fuck fuck" or something similar til it's out of my head. It feels rather strange when it happens. It's just an extremely sharp painful or embarassing memory. It passes in a few seconds.

Happens to me all of the time. It sucks, I feel like I'm being tormented by my own mind.. and it happens at the most random times.

The clerk in your head is a nosey, irresponsible dickwad.

I think it's worse when you have a flashback to a mundane dream you had, start talking with a friend as if the events you memory spasmed actually happened, then remember that it was a dream, leaving you to awkwardly explain why you were dreaming about cooking eggs for your friend to your friend.

SRG01 said:
Happens to me too. It's a symptom of repressed memories.

Ugh

Yeah man , happens to me alot. Its mostly Social mistakes too, just random shit that I felt really stupid or confused.

I just say... FUCK and What the hell? out loud :lol :lol

I get really bad memory spasms occasionally. I just get flashbacks from some of the worst moments in my life, and sometimes I will even yell out loud or twitch trying to get rid of them until they go away. Its annoying but I guess I am not that good at repressing bad memories.

perfectchaos007 said:
I get really bad memory spasms occasionally. I just get flashbacks from some of the worst moments in my life, and sometimes I will even yell out loud or twitch trying to get rid of them until they go away. Its annoying but I guess I am not that good at repressing bad memories.

There there, it's over. You never have to complete the Water Temple again.

Truant

Zeed said:
This happens to me a lot, and has been growing worse as I get older. Bad memories from the past just suddenly and randomly come up so strongly that I lose track of everything else. It's so strong that I react visibly (yelping out someone's name for example). It's never a good memory, and happens a lot when I wake up without much sleep.

I've noticed that my father has had these. For as long as I can remember he's been randomly calling out names and recently explained that it's because memories come up. I think it might be genetic.

Did you follow THE EXACT BEARING I GAVE YOU?

When I'm alone, I'll recall things I regret doing that, in hindsight, were extremely embarrassing and socially awkward.

Usually happens before I sleep, too, so it gets me all funked up and depressed. : /

I usually just do some exercise before I sleep, or I overcome them through sheer willpower.

Lakitu

st5fu
Sometimes in the middle of the night, when I'm asleep the memories just come back to me when I'm most vulnerable. Like memories of my ex etc. I need to get over it.

DCharlie

Banned
i just have memory rushes... it's weird - about random stuff, but way more frequently after i hit 30... um... a few years back.

for instance, a few nights ago just as i was falling asleep i remembered something about a childhood holiday away - it was about the small plastic pots of jam you'd get in B+B's in the UK. And i could remember everything about them, the taste, the flavours , the packaging.

It was like being reminded of something you'd completely disregarded.

This isn't the first thing with which this has happened - but luckily everything that comes back has been a good memory.

Lakitu

st5fu
Everything you've ever experienced is inside your brain, subconscious. They can just come back randomly I guess.

Ogni-XR21

I don't have that. Maybe it's because I usually think everything through and through and through till I have made peace with it.

For example I can talk about/think about my dad and how he died 1 1/2 years ago without it stressing me. (that's not to say I don't cherish the memories I have of him)

I do, from time to time, remember certain things from my past, especially my childhood, but these things are usually triggered by certain things I do, or objects, music or whatdoIknowwhat...

I don't know if this is related, but rarely, when I look/read/hear/watch something, and something remotely familiar comes on, I get this intense rush/lapse and then some tidbit of memory. The rush usually lasts for a second or less.

And it doesn't have to be bad memories either. It could be as mundane as a neutral place I grew up with.

Sule

FlightOfHeaven said:
When I'm alone, I'll recall things I regret doing that, in hindsight, were extremely embarrassing and socially awkward.

Usually happens before I sleep, too, so it gets me all funked up and depressed.

Exactly the same situation here. It definitely sucks and seeing a shrink would probably be a good idea. I get the idea though, that the only thing they do is prescribe medication and I'm not willing to take any if my life is not in any serious danger. Anybody have any personal experience with overcoming a similar situation?

Ronok

This happens to me sometimes, I get memories of stupid/embaressing stuff I've done in the past and feel the exact emotion I would have at the time....... Then I just laugh it off. :-/ Whilst it is somewhat painful memories it's usually, like I said, from stupid things. No reason to worry about it now.

Sule, I agree with not wanting to take medication if it's not really necessary, so I just usually power through it and think it through on my own. I have several methods, such as reminding myself that probably no one else remembers these things, or that they didn't have a lasting impact, or some such.

Yeah it happens. I just try to keep my mind busy all the time. Listen to music when walking, read when on the bus, etc etc.

Probably a big eason for why I play so much videogames :lol I have had them for as long as I remember.

I still get them but doing the things above keeps me on a even keel in society :lol

I don't think it's anything serious just your brain having trouble shutting the fuck down. Always thinking, always working away. Sometimes it feel like you are two people or something. But fuck it, just ignore it as much as you can.

GrayFoxPL

Zeed said:

Shit man, I get these too. Wierd thing that I'm not yelping the names or stuff from the memories but random last thought. Something like a sudden uncontrolled mind reaction. Wierd stuff.

dalyr95

Happens to me, I'll think of something I've done which was stupid, easily avoidable and sort of embarrassing and winch, possibly swear

GrayFoxPL

dalyr95 said:
Happens to me, I'll think of something I've done which was stupid, easily avoidable and sort of embarrassing and winch, possibly swear

That's it! You put it in words much better then me.

We are nuts.

RetroMG

I think this is why we sometimes see people commit suicide, and the family says, "But he was so happy, we don't understand." It's because he was out grilling some steaks for the family barbecue, and he suddenly remembered the time he noticed a small zit on his back while he was in math class, and he started scratching it, and it felt so good, and he lost track of where he was, and he eventually realized he was sitting in class with half of his arm down the back of his shirt, and everyone was staring at him, and from then on everyone called him "Zit!" He remembered that, and his brain had had enough, and he had no choice but to stick a barbecue fork into his skull.

Science need to be looking into this.

(Yes, it happens to me, too.)

(In fairness, I ripped that earlier part off from a Dave Barry article)

AlexMogil

dalyr95 said:

Jesus Christ I thought I was alone. I don't swear, but I might wince, or have a tick.

I was just thinking of this last night - that I have to work my way through these situations and diffuse them because this reactionary stuff is not very healthy. I need to make peace with these situations which are apparently only disturbing to me. I mean - who else is going to remember them?

Sule

FlightOfHeaven said:
I have several methods, such as reminding myself that probably no one else remembers these things, or that they didn't have a lasting impact, or some such.
I pretty much handle it the same way. When it happens that helps but I haven't found any way of avoiding it from happening again. Like you said, the other people most probably don't even remember/don't think it's a big deal. I realize this is true and still it bothers me when I remember certain things. This thread and the posts within it have at least made me look into this again and maybe something good will come out of it.

I think these are flashbacks - like a mild version of what people who have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder go through. It's weird (and totally cliche) 'cause I thought I was the only one, but apparently this is quite common. From a bit of skimming on the 'net (always reliable...) it seems that one has to either force oneself to come to grips with one's past, or get some professional help doing so. It's funny 'cause it almost makes sense this would be common on GAF - a bunch of people who might have once had social problems but who partly then grow out of it later in life...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I never really thought to ask if this happened to anyone else. Wow. This happens to me on a near-daily basis: suddenly remembering a random event in which I did something embarrassing or stupid, which causes me to quickly mutter a curse word, wince, etc.

dalyr95 said:

Yer, this happens to me, and it could be the stupidest thing from over a decade ago. I won't shout out or anything but I'll blush and feel really anxious, and cringy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom