• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

sammy

that's an awesome lagiacrus Chet Rippo :D

MrBig said:
What's the best method of laying color on a gray scale value drawing? I've been trying to learn through just drawing in color but it just ends up a mess.

There's all kinds of ways digitally to work colors into a B&W drawing with multiply layers, color layers, or going in with brush. It just seems you have to be willing to adapt and push the image further into a painting. And keep pushing and pulling adding color all over, it takes a lot of work going from a values drawing. Though it's good to know how to do both start from color and do values... the hard stuff is always easier to figure out with gray-scale.

Dr. Octagon, a tron Zelda would be so cool. I would love to see what ganon looks like.

I guess I should contribute something in here. Most of these are a little old, but I'll get around to scanning/photographing some newer stuff at some point. I hope.

realizee.jpg

strrrugle.jpg

fistfulfinal.jpg

to_day.jpg

Here's a more recent work I did as a tribute to AT4W. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dustin_reno2/Pictures/linkara1.jpg

And this was a quick doodle I did inspired by Dudebro. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dustin_reno2/Pictures/bruno.jpg

Nice seeing some studies sammy, great gestures.
Some more academic stuff. Charcoal portrait and two oils.

tired_girl_portrait_by_blkcelebration-d3a8nuu.jpg
figure_back_in_oil_by_blkcelebration-d3a5jzi.jpg
figure_in_oils_2_by_blkcelebration-d39mqlh.jpg

hookedonritalin, thanks for the kind words. I like the colors in your portrait.

chumps

tumblr_lh1kp3ul4y1qccgmso1_500.jpg

tumblr_lhbfllRKOe1qccgmso1_500.jpg

tumblr_lhbfjzGerh1qccgmso1_500.jpg

tumblr_lhbf0aevUx1qccgmso1_500.jpg

Also:

I am in a two person show in downtown LA. The reception is this Saturday, March 5th, at 7pm. I will be showing with Pablo Castaneda, an amazing painter from Mexico.

ADC Contemporary Art Gallery
Factory Place Arts Complex
1330 Factory Place
Los Angeles CA 90013

chumps

SalsaShark said:
Cool stuff chumps. Fairly different from your other works.

Thanks! They started out as studies but kinda became their own thing. I still need several bones to go through and then finally muscles but in the meantime, art!

pickle said:
you are a gifted conceptual artist sir.
No such creature. Just a toy designer now days. Thanks never the less.

You have some sweet painting going there. I don't know art, but I know I like it! :D

highrider

Banned
Shogmaster said:

You have some sweet painting going there. I don't know art, but I know I like it! :D

my son keeps asking if i can draw a batman like yours. i can get him to understand that my rendering ability is pathetic. i would struggle for hours, and it would show in the final product.
whatever you do, i think those are great designs.

psykomyko

I am gonna be a indie game developer with a friend, and I decided that I am gonna be the artist, but I have never once done anything in arts in my life. Took like a class, but only lasted a few weeks due to the teacher dropping out (Long story). My question is, do I have needed to been doing arts my whole life in order to get as good as some of you in here? I am 22, I am gonna start taking classes this summer. I have the work ethic to do anything, and I consider myself pretty creative.

I will also be writing the stories for our games, but I am mostly gonna be telling the stories visually so I felt maybe becoming an artist would be the best thing. I also have a hard time getting my ideas across someone in words. I have this story and I know what it looks like visually, but I have no idea how to convey it to someone. So, that's why I decided to become an artist so I could just draw it on paper. I know its physically possible and it would have made everything easier if I have been doing it all my life, but I never really knew what I wanted to do until last year. (I put a lot of time into big decisions)

pickle said:
my son keeps asking if i can draw a batman like yours. i can get him to understand that my rendering ability is pathetic. i would struggle for hours, and it would show in the final product.
whatever you do, i think those are great designs.
Thanks for the kind words. l just instinctively doodle Batman when I'm bored, so I have a lifetime of bored doodle time behind drawing him. That's apparently the trick. ;)

MrBig

psykomyko said:
I am gonna be a indie game developer with a friend, and I decided that I am gonna be the artist, but I have never once done anything in arts in my life. Took like a class, but only lasted a few weeks due to the teacher dropping out (Long story). My question is, do I have needed to been doing arts my whole life in order to get as good as some of you in here? I am 22, I am gonna start taking classes this summer. I have the work ethic to do anything, and I consider myself pretty creative.

I will also be writing the stories for our games, but I am mostly gonna be telling the stories visually so I felt maybe becoming an artist would be the best thing. I also have a hard time getting my ideas across someone in words. I have this story and I know what it looks like visually, but I have no idea how to convey it to someone. So, that's why I decided to become an artist so I could just draw it on paper. I know its physically possible and it would have made everything easier if I have been doing it all my life, but I never really knew what I wanted to do until last year. (I put a lot of time into big decisions)
You absolutely can still learn, just don't expect to be making anything perfect in the first few months and give up. Just keep going. Also be sure that it's not just a snap decision and you're actually dedicated or you may disappoint yourself.

psykomyko

MrBig said:
You absolutely can still learn, just don't expect to be making anything perfect in the first few months and give up. Just keep going. Also be sure that it's not just a snap decision and you're actually dedicated or you may disappoint yourself.

I keep asking this question a lot, but its a big decision for me. Thanks for the advice.

"Speed" Paint I recently did.

Usually I do cell-shaded stuff but I'm trying to be more conceptual/painterly

I should probably NSFW this on account of bewbs:

LINK

Pau

psykomyko said:
I keep asking this question a lot, but its a big decision for me. Thanks for the advice.

I was kind of in the same boat as you, but a year ago. While I'm nowhere near as good as anyone posting here (you guys are amazing!), if you stick at it, you will definitely see improvement. Good luck!

psykomyko

Pau said:
I was kind of in the same boat as you, but a year ago. While I'm nowhere near as good as anyone posting here (you guys are amazing!), if you stick at it, you will definitely see improvement. Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too.

Nassimoluc

Neo Member
Foxy Fox 39 said:
"Speed" Paint I recently did.

Usually I do cell-shaded stuff but I'm trying to be more conceptual/painterly

I should probably NSFW this on account of bewbs:

LINK

My pants have a mess in them. Awesome stuff.

Shogmaster said:

You better not be the jerk responsible for those six Ryan Reynolds figures coming out for the GL movie. :p

Can you talk about what toys you're designing or is that not permitted under contracts?

The Take Out Bandit said:
You better not be the jerk responsible for those six Ryan Reynolds figures coming out for the GL movie. :p

Can you talk about what toys you're designing or is that not permitted under contracts?
I don't do action figures no more, bud. :)

I work for the company that does COD pack in toys though. Can't talk about that till November. :p

SHAZOOM

Shogmaster said:
Another long meeting at work, another Journal doodle...
BatArmor.jpg

I didn't know Windows journal gave you almost pencil like line work. I usually stick to Sketchbook Pro for any cintiq/tablet doodles myself.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm no artist (by trade or as a hobby), but a few years ago a director got in touch with me after seeing some things I had posted on a movie site and asked me to work with him on designing posters for two short films he was taking around to some festivals; just recently, he contacted me again to do a third poster for his new short.

I don't really think of them as being anything particularly special, but it's pretty cool to see something you made actually on IMDB, and the initial two posters won "audience favorites" at a screening. :)

5493472764_66d7818ee1_z.jpg
5493472648_60f7b696f4_z.jpg

5492880465_af5ed804c2_z.jpg

SHAZOOM said:
I didn't know Windows journal gave you almost pencil like line work. I usually stick to Sketchbook Pro for any cintiq/tablet doodles myself.
That's just a trick I use. I just select the initial Sketch, "group" it, then change the color to light gray. And then refine the sketch over that w black again, and then just select and delete the previous grouped gray sketch afterwards.

SHAZOOM

That's just a trick I use. I just select the initial Sketch, "group" it, then change the color to light gray. And then refine the sketch over that w black again, and then just select and delete the previous grouped gray sketch afterwards.

Hmm. So rough it in then go over in "ink". Gotcha. :)

Here are some sketches done on my iPod touch and HTC Incredible.

ipodLady2.jpg

KeikaiInspiredGirly.jpg

KungFu.jpg

redPampadour.jpg

Sagat.jpg

SomethingSomethingBEER.jpg

AngryLatinLady.jpg

DroidSketch2.jpg

DrVasquez.jpg

exoticLady.jpg

ipodLady1.jpg

DroidDragonBall.jpg

DroidMechanic.jpg

AngryAsianLadyDroid.jpg

BrushesSketch1.jpg

DroidPaulPope.jpg

ChinaLadyPink.jpg

DroidRichterBelmont.jpg

ChunLi.jpg

DroidSketch1.jpg

SHAZOOM

Yeh, lots of cramped hands and pinch zooming.

Think I've found the thread that I'll be posting in. Good stuff all around. Will comment later (gotta go podcast).

Shogmaster said:
I don't do action figures no more, bud. :)

I work for the company that does COD pack in toys though. Can't talk about that till November. :p

Oh no worries then. Got no interest in that crap. :p

What's the deal with your car sketches? If the tire is the basic unit of measurement for the length of the vehicle, why is there some weird spacing in the measurement? That threw me off.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Oh no worries then. Got no interest in that crap. :p

What's the deal with your car sketches? If the tire is the basic unit of measurement for the length of the vehicle, why is there some weird spacing in the measurement? That threw me off.
You aren't suppose to go too strict with the wheel measurement. For instance, a sedan should have around 4 wheels between it's wheelbase (axle to axle), give or take half a wheel. So my examples have like 3.5 wheels between it's wheelbase. As a designer, you can push the boundaries of those proportions, but should know the general rule of the designs already out there.

vitaminwateryum said:
Are you confirming a COD for this november? :D

That's what they always shoot for, but whether they make it this time (sounds really messy over there) is anyone's guess! :D

SHAZOOM said:
Here's my webcomic.

Brown stuff is burrito grease.

Holy shit, how did I miss this?!? Fucking hilarious! :D Really well drawn too. All done on TPC or do you use Cintiq also?

Hello Art-GAF, I love this thread. There's so much gorgeous art in here.

So I was thinking about acquiring a tablet, more specifically the Intuos4. Now, I don't draw professionally, and I am trying to decide whether to get the Small version or the Medium. Also, what are the best prices?

Photosynthesis said:

So I was thinking about acquiring a tablet, more specifically the Intuos4. Now, I don't draw professionally, and I am trying to decide whether to get the Small version or the Medium. Also, what are the best prices?

If you have the money to burn go for the medium. Otherwise you might as well get a bamboo pen since you don't draw professionally.

Flo

Cosmic Bus said:
Love this one!!
Devolution said:
I make books.

Made the books with content some semesters ago. Will post my work in this semester when i get done with it.
Books look great, I like how they have a raw edge on them, but still are orderly made. It's always nice to get a little book as end result of some labour.

SHAZOOM

Shogmaster said:
Holy shit, how did I miss this?!? Fucking hilarious! :D Really well drawn too. All done on TPC or do you use Cintiq also?

Thanks Shog! I'm a bit weary of posting the comic on GAF. Don't want to get banned for spamming. Lucky for me, this thread exists.

I started on a Acer Travelmate C310 (didn't do my research well back in 2005) on all the earlier pages (1-15) using Sketchbook Pro 2.0.

From page 16-present is done on a Cintiq 12wx using Sketchbook Pro 2011 and PhotoShop CS3 for all of the coloring/Frazetta smoke. I usually do all the lettering in Photoshop.

I'm actually finishing up inks for next week's strip right now. Trying to get it done before the weekend so I can go to Emerald City Comicon without any worries. :p

If I recall, you're the Cintiq expert here on GAF and I think I remember seeing some of your posts on TabletPC Reviews way back.

Photosynthesis said:

Foxy fox's advice seems like the way to go. I generally keep a Bamboo with me when I go do freelance work at studios. Sometimes they just don't have enough wacom tablets to go around, so the trusty Bamboo comes in handy.

Pickle, do you work exclusively with mouse? Your work has a very distinct look, and I quite enjoy it. : )

Here are some paintings I have done from this semester so far. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos-

1_oncourse2.jpg

Inspired by designer Josh Vanover. Done with oils and printed imagery I generated.

2_pushit2.jpg

Inspired by designer Rob Sheridan. All oils this time. I might revisit it later and alter it some more.

3_safisified2.jpg

Not inspired by anything, really. Maybe Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief" cover, but meh.

4_closereachday2.jpg

Inspired by designer David Carson. Did lots of cutting and pasting to make those letters, scanned, printed, pasted, painted, and yeah.

Here's some "detail" shots of those four.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dustin_reno2/Pictures/1_details.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dustin_reno2/Pictures/2_detail.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dustin_reno2/Pictures/3_detail.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dustin_reno2/Pictures/4_detail.jpg

Top Bottom