• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony adds YouTube support to PS3 SDK

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This was mentioned in the Mainichi Issyo thread, but I think it deserves its own cos it's kind of interesting and confusing at the same time :p

http://www.developmag.com/news/29815/Sony-adds-YouTube-upload-support-to-SDK

Sony Computer Entertainment has added support for the YouTube API to the PS3 SDK.

According to Japanese website ITmedia, the experiment is being supported globally and is designed to let developers easily integrate YouTube uploading into games made for the system

My first thought is...wouldn't they support Crackle, given that it's Sony's youtube?

Second is..does the SDK support recording of gameplay and uploading of that to youtube? Or just uploading existing videos from the HDD?

Third is..if it does support gameplay recording, I hope as many developers as possible support it in their games.

BigFwoosh

If that means recording and uploading your game vids, that's really cool. Especially for people who don't have a good means of video capturing.

koam

This better be Flash 9 and with HD support.

Edit: Or is this to upload your content to youtube?

Jim

sce03.jpg

sce04.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Crackle doesn't support the flash that the PS3 has. If anything, this semi-confirms we wont be getting proper flash support anytime soon. :(

I have been wanting to take screenshots and record video in console games for years. It would be great to be able to record footage of that epic boss fight, or taking screenshots along the way.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
You mean like... being able to upload a GT5P replay on YouTube right from the game? That would be awesome. Maybe YouTube account will be created and linked to the PSN one and content will happily end up into the Home web page?

But yeah, what about Crackle?

Crisis

Banned
I absolutely love this idea and I sincerely hope that many games make use of it, particularly multiplayer games.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
zoku88 said:
So, it's using videos already on Youtube and putting them in games?

the other way around

Ah, I see you need to input your YouTube account ID and pass.

Classic_Gs said:
I have been wanting to take screenshots and record video in console games for years.

this.

why is resistance the only ps3 game that lets you take screenshots?

could a game screenshot grabber be added with a new firmware update to use on all games?

Crisis

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
this.

why is resistance the only ps3 game that lets you take screenshots?

could a game screenshot grabber be added with a new firmware update to use on all games?

flOw has it too.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ah, I wonder if it uploads in background.

WHY ISN'T ZOE REPORTING DETAILED IMPRESSIONS ON THIS?!?

;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I actually don't think supports recording. I think this part, at least, is just pure support for the youtube api.

You have to wonder WHY they'd support the youtube API though if they don't intend for people to make video within games. A seperate recording module for the SDK would be the perfect complement for this kind of thing, if it's not already there.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This will greatly speed up the process of Take 2 removing your videos from youtube.

For everything not made by Take2 though it will be great, finally be able to show off my awesome Hot Shots skillz

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kay said:
I have already recorded video from MI, it works but the resolution is small.

Weallly?

So the SDK does have video recording functionality? Was that new, or always there before the youtube thing?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
I actually don't think supports recording.
Why not? It would be the same thing as remote play, just at lower resolution and with a less heavy weight codec, so it's just reuse of existing functionality and cheaper to do on all counts to boot.

Raist

Banned
"uploading into games"

huh. That makes no sense.
It's either uploading from games or downloading into games (would be interesting. Don't put your video cutscenes on your disk, just make an app to DL 'em from youtube to the game. heh)

So yeah, needs clarification.

dfyb

Banned
herod said:
ya, this sounds exactly like what happens in Skate already.
right, and in mainichi isshyo too. so other developers don't have to create this functionality from scratch -- it's already there and they just have to integrate the code into their game. which means it's more likely we'll see it in more games.

Raist

Banned
Wasn't MI also the first game to support advanced XMB access ?

Looks like they're using this game as an experimenting tool :D

besada

Banned
Very cool. Inclusion in the API makes it easy for the dev if the game is already recording video. Wonder if the API includes handling downscaling video to youtube sizes?

DarkJC

I hope features like this become a standard for games in the future. Not sure if it'll happen soon, but I think it's really needed. The upload to youtube isn't even a requirement really, just some way to save cool moments in games. I can't count the number of times something awesome has happened in GTA4 (well, many games, but thats the one I'm playing now) and I wished I had an "instant replay" like feature to playback/save/record the moment.

Top Bottom