• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony adds YouTube support to PS3 SDK

Zoe

Firewire said:
TTP, why are you washing floors? :lol

Sorry I'm not familiar with this game at all, anyways awesome feature!

The closest you can get to controlling his actions is placing certain items in the room. He does whatever he wants :lol

-2007_7_520_18.jpg

Firewire

Banned
Zoe said:
The closest you can get to controlling his actions is placing certain items in the room. He does whatever he wants :lol

-2007_7_520_18.jpg

:lol

So its like a virtual reality T.V. show? This cat does whatever he wants! Thats Awesome!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Firewire said:
:lol

So its like a virtual reality T.V. show? This cat does whatever he wants! Thats Awesome!

yeah , cept for online mini games , also you can feed him too ( buy him some food )

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wollan said:
Why aren't there more superlatives in this thread!?!?!

THIS IS FRIGGIN AWESOME.
Not if it remains confined to one game, one you'd only loosely define as a game and which is really only available/accessible for one region.

That said, I could see it gaining some traction among devs, if for no other reason than because it outsources the infrastructure needed for storage for free, basically. The only thing though is that it doesn't seem like it necessarily provides devs with a way of cohesively tying the output together in a community fashion around the game. If devs were to add this to say SSHD and I wanted to go find the output from this feature, I'd basically just be searching Youtube at large for SSHD vids.

I guess devs could tie the use of this API to links on their own site, compiling a catalog of all vids sent to Youtube via this feature programmatically.

What would be cool is if devs started to use this feature to automatically record video at key moments, like to record exactly how you managed to achieve an achievement/trophy in their game.

gofreak said:
wouldn't they support Crackle, given that it's Sony's youtube?

That's like saying "Wouldn't Sony support Walkman and not Ipod?" :p Youtube has literally become a noun/verb in the current-era just like google. No support for youtube would be abysmal.

kevm3 said:
This is a good idea.

Unless you earn your money as a game critic / writer, because a feature like this might make your job worthless.

Which will be an interesting development in itself, aside from whether or not developers will be able to add recording.

I don't think we should expect recording of games like GTA4 or Resistance 2 in the future, but smaller scale is probably safe to asume. Though the only game that REALLY needs to support this, is LPB. Spreading user-created content would require an equally usable medium to spread the word that such content exists.

kaching said:
Not if it remains confined to one game, one you'd only loosely define as a game and which is really only available/accessible for one region.
A one game that is used as a test bed for things like this which has now been added to the SDK for more to do it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
shagg_187 said:
That's like saying "Wouldn't Sony support Walkman and not Ipod?" :p.

Which would seem as obvious a question to me :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're supporting youtube.

It's just pleasantly surprising, since usually these companies support their own no matter what.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gofreak said:
Which would seem as obvious a question to me :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're supporting youtube.

It's just pleasantly surprising, since usually these companies support their own no matter what.

eh not with Sony Group

why didn't Sony Pictures give SCE all their movie/Series license instead of other 3rd party ( James bond for example ) ? Sony Music don't put their songs on PS store nor help Sony Picture nor Sony Electronic , Sony Pictures gave Nokia the advantage of free spider-man 3 movie on their mobiles but not S-E :lol , SOE hate themselves Everquest 2 and Planetside won't be on PS3 , Sony Electronic don't made PS systems in their own manufacturers ( just that PSX thingy ) ..ect

the only co-op in the entire Sony Group is between Walkman division and Sony-Ericsson but S-E walkman series sucks , K series for za win .

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JonathanEx said:
A one game that is used as a test bed for things like this which has now been added to the SDK for more to do it.
I understand that, but it's a guarantee of nothing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
kaching said:
I understand that, but it's a guarantee of nothing.

sure , but Mainichi Issho was the first game on PS3 that uses game Snap Shots , In-game music , In-game store and In-game friend list .

they actually uses that Cat as lab Rat

Tiduz

Eurogaime
thats it, im searching a faq for mainou ishiyou or whatever its called and printing it out. i NEED To PLAY THIS.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Zeitgeister said:
Unless you earn your money as a game critic / writer, because a feature like this might make your job worthless.

Which will be an interesting development in itself, aside from whether or not developers will be able to add recording.

I don't think we should expect recording of games like GTA4 or Resistance 2 in the future, but smaller scale is probably safe to asume. Though the only game that REALLY needs to support this, is LPB. Spreading user-created content would require an equally usable medium to spread the word that such content exists.

Why not? They've already updated Resistance to incorporate SDK updates introduced in Mainichi Issyo (Screen captures, in game friends list, & in game store). I think there's a very good chance that video recording will be incorporated into Resistance 2 (at least for the offline mode).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wax Free Vanilla said:
could a game screenshot grabber be added with a new firmware update to use on all games?

Pretty sure that was either added a while back or was something they're thinking of adding. Either way gimme both!

Firewire said:
I have a strong desire to get this now! :lol

channel.jpg

Firewire

Banned
Killthee said:
Why not? They've already updated Resistance to incorporate SDK updates introduced in Mainichi Issyo (Screen captures, in game friends list, & in game store). I think there's a very good chance that video recording will be incorporated into Resistance 2 (at least for the offline mode).

It needs to support the online play, so the world can see the Aeon Effect in action! :lol

dabig2

kaching said:

That said, I could see it gaining some traction among devs, if for no other reason than because it outsources the infrastructure needed for storage for free, basically. The only thing though is that it doesn't seem like it necessarily provides devs with a way of cohesively tying the output together in a community fashion around the game. If devs were to add this to say SSHD and I wanted to go find the output from this feature, I'd basically just be searching Youtube at large for SSHD vids.

I guess devs could tie the use of this API to links on their own site, compiling a catalog of all vids sent to Youtube via this feature programmatically.

What would be cool is if devs started to use this feature to automatically record video at key moments, like to record exactly how you managed to achieve an achievement/trophy in their game.

Yeah, this was mentioned as one of those features they were absolutely gunning for in HOME when it was first announced. I see this as a significant step towards that realization. I fully expect a lot of games to be patched to include this when it's fully ready....(unless you're GTA4.....)

Top Bottom