• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur IV no longer slows down on PS3, identical to 360

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Maxconsole said:
Namco Bandai Games Director Katsutoshi Sasaki has now confirmed that the PS3 version of Soul Calibur IV is running at the same level as the Xbox 360 version. Previously the PS3 version had significant elements of slow-down, however after extra months of development, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 version are at an equal level.

quote:

Namco Bandai Games Director Katsutoshi Sasaki has confirmed to us that the PlayStation 3 version of the upcoming Soul Calibur IV is running on par with its Xbox 360 counterpart.

Earlier this year, hands on previews reported that the PS3 version of the game had some “significant slowdown." However, after a few extra months of development, Sasaki assured us that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are identical.

"There is no difference," said Sasaki. "At the first stage of development, the goal was to have no gameplay differences on either hardware and our programmers actually made it come true. Quite frequently, we forget and grab the wrong controller when looking at the screen."

WHEW.

Day One. Hope NTSC VS PAL Online is not region locked.

eep7m.gif

Chromax

Can't wait for this one! Hope there's no more save file killing bug this time though....I liked 3. (did they ever fix it?)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Did anyone doubt this though?

PSTriple has the physics power to calculate them Breast physics of the gals!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
a Master Ninja said:
...and all they had to do was make it 600p!

Just kidding...I hope.

You laugh, I wait. My money is currently on the PS3 version because I have the better Hori Stick for it. If everything is equal, I'll get the PS3 version.

GodofWine

What constitutes a "Significant" slowdown...all the games I have ever played with so called Sig.Slowdown has had nothing more than an occasional blip cause by massive amounts of on screen goodness.

Oh, and I'll take a 50fps with Vader vs. Kratos over 60fps with Yoda vs. ????

GodofWine said:
What constitutes a "Significant" slowdown...all the games I have ever played with so called Sig.Slowdown has had nothing more than an occasional blip cause by massive amounts of on screen goodness.

Oh, and I'll take a 50fps with Vader vs. Kratos over 60fps with Yoda vs. ????
I'd argue framerate is more important to fighting games than just about any other genre, but only if you play the game at a high level.

Mindlog

I have a hard time believing this story. If there was any slowdown at all it would have been noticed by Mr. Shane Bettenhausen during one of his many play tests. He was a prime proponent of the perceived performance peculiarities pertaining to Paradise, Burnout.

myth busted

I still haven't decided what version I am getting. I need to get a good stick as well.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I’m willing to bet that there will STILL be game play differences between both the 360 and PS3 versions just like there were between the Xbox and PS2 versions (not talking about console exclusive characters of course)… I mean actual game play elements and move properties. (ex. Ivy’s 4A+B) We’ll see soon.

Mindlog said:
I have a hard time believing this story. If there was any slowdown at all it would have been noticed by Mr. Shane Bettenhausen during one of his many play tests. He was a prime proponent of the perceived performance peculiarities pertaining to Paradise, Burnout.

myth busted

I still haven't decided what version I am getting. I need to get a good stick as well.

I too am completely convinced Shane would point out any and all negatives of a PS3 version of a game.

kenta

Has no PEINS
So now we're taking a developer's word that slowdown has been fixed? I thought we all knew better than that

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
kenta said:
So now we're taking a developer's word that slowdown has been fixed? I thought we all knew better than that

Of course we do or at least we should.

PedroRVD

" However, after a few extra months of development, Sasaki assured us that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are identical.

Who would have thought that a PLAYSTATION 3 game NEEDED extra months of development to manage to be IDENTICAL to the 360 version??

This is embarrassing ...NOBODY thought that before PS3 launched.

PedroRVD said:
Who would have thought that a PLAYSTATION 3 game NEEDED extra months of development to manage to be IDENTICAL to the 360 version??

yea its pretty sad.

But why would anyone planning on using the dpad consider the 360 version anyways. ps3 version for the win even if it is 600p:(

PedroRVD said:

This

PedroRVD said:

So during these months of development what all did they add to the 360 version? Why not go ahead and release the 360 one however many months ahead?

lexdysia

Banned
"There is no difference," said Sasaki. "At the first stage of development, the goal was to have no gameplay differences on either hardware and our programmers actually made it come true. Quite frequently, we forget and grab the wrong controller when looking at the screen."

Hyperbole alert!

Seriously though, this is good news.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good job Namco, that's how you do it.

Kyoufu

PS3 version day one. Its been too long since I played a 3D fighter that I actually enjoyed. Hopefully this isn't crazy unbalanced or I will shit on Scamco.

Mamesj

Banned

omg, he's saying the res on the PS3 version is so low that they accidentally pick up the Wii remote. Shit!

birdchili

DeadFalling said:
So during these months of development what all did they add to the 360 version? Why not go ahead and release the 360 one however many months ahead?
sony has started putting 360 performance equivalence and simultaneous releases as a prerequisite for getting certified?

Somnia

God I cannot wait for this game...haven't played a 3d fighter since VF5 and my fighting sticks are begging to be used :D .... if the Kratos rumor is true then that will be even better, but oh well Vader > Yoda!

icecream

Public Health Threat
DeadFalling said:
Because that doesn't maximize sales?

DeadFalling said:

Because of course since the PS3 version had some framerate issues that they had ironed out over the past few months meant that THAT was the only thing left to work on between these titles.... *rollseyes

DeadFalling said:

They do this so they don't have to spend extra money marketing the game twice. They can run tv/print ads once. Marketing isn't cheap.

AMUSIX

Was considering starting to put together an official thread post for SC4...was anyone already doing it? Yeah, I know, a bit off topic, but I figured if someone was, they'd check here.

Caj814

I'm more worried about how the actual online play is coming along.Thats definitely gonna be important for me since my gaming buddies and I hardly get to get together nowadays other than through online play. =(

Top Bottom