• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008 Assignment 45 : Dirty, Pretty Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

Theme: Dirty, Pretty Things

Submissions are due by Monday, July 21st at 11:59pm EST.

Voting begins Tuesday July 22nd and ends on Wednesday, July 23rd at 11:59pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) You got two weekends, so get out there and go wild!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Oooh, nice theme. And doesn't really fit the shots I took just last night. Nice. :)

This one's gonna be interesting alright. Can't wait to see some results.

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
I'm glad you thought that through, and didn't put "Pretty dirty things"

Dkong

Interesting theme. Usually a couple of decent idea's pop up instantly upon reading the theme but I am finding myself without inspiration. Maybe I'll sit it out for a couple of days and then try to come up with something.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I think I have an idea. I don't know if I have the 'props' to pull it off, though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well I'm going to participate in this...just got a Rebel XTI :D . Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much.

nitewulf

AirBrian said:
We have in the past, but just link it instead of posting the actual picture.
well, there have been some graphic photos in the past...hell one caused me to skip dinner. i do believe nudity is bannable though.

and yeah, just post the link.

AirBrian

GAF-45.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
First entry is not the greatest... I had 2 things to choose from and I chose this. Jack wasn't too fond of the camera... he was terrified of it:lol :lol :lol

IMG_0240.jpg

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
here is my first attempt at participating in the photography thread... i always wanted to but didn't feel that my camera was good enough. now i have a dslr so i thought i'd give it a shot:

dirtc.jpg

Canon EOS 450D
f/3.5
1/200
ISO 200

and yes, i smeared dirt on my face. in retrospect i probably could have come up with something better, but this is the last day and i really wanted to participate! :)

edit: oops, someone just pointed out to me that posting a portrait might come off as conceited... the photo has more to do with dirt being on a human face and how it can still look natural. i'm not trying to imply that i'm "pretty."

Jebus

Shoes....not really pretty BUT they were once very pleasing on the eye, and now they're begging to be replaced. A bit of a rushed entry, i've been too lazy lately.

Dirty_Pretty_Things.jpg

Pentax K10D
ISO 400
F something.

nitewulf

cloudwalking said:
the photo has more to do with dirt being on a human face and how it can still look natural. i'm not trying to imply that i'm "pretty."
doesn't matter, you are actually quite pretty and the idea is fantastic. what does matter is whether you took the picture or not.

did you set the exposure and use a tripod?

if someone else framed it and shot it...then it will not count, even though it is not worded anywhere in the rule.

guys, get the submissions in, everything posted so far is very nice. i am coming off a 36 hour (3 day - 12 hours each) night shift...so i am very, very tired...bare with me, as i might be slow in keeping up with this thread. i might have to go back to work tonight, and in that event i'd like some of the older posters (airbrian, aidan ?) to pick up and continue by posting all the submissions as usual. and voting should continue as usual.

i am very sorry but it couldn't be helped. thanks.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
nitewulf said:
doesn't matter, you are actually quite pretty and the idea is fantastic. what does matter is whether you took the picture or not.

did you set the exposure and use a tripod?

if someone else framed it and shot it...then it will not count, even though it is not worded anywhere in the rule.

i shot the picture myself, set everything up and actually the camera was resting on a chair since i don't have a tripod yet. and thank you :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
cloudwalking said:
here is my first attempt at participating in the photography thread... i always wanted to but didn't feel that my camera was good enough. now i have a dslr so i thought i'd give it a shot:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n156/meganekko_pie/dirtc.jpg[IMG]

Canon EOS 450D
f/3.5
1/200
ISO 200

and yes, i smeared dirt on my face. in retrospect i probably could have come up with something better, but this is the last day and i really wanted to participate! :)

edit: oops, someone just pointed out to me that posting a portrait might come off as conceited... the photo has more to do with dirt being on a human face and how it can still look natural. i'm not trying to imply that i'm "pretty."[/QUOTE]

extremely sensual pic.

Tf53

Whew, it was really hard to come up with an idea for this theme.

2690178570_1804379e03_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 (Thanks, Lucky! ;))
Exposure: 0.4 sec (2/5)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 10 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 1 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

I give you...phallic tree. Turn head to right and gasp :)

prettydirty1.jpg

Pretty dirty I thought :) Pic didn't turn out as well as I wanted but I found it fitting.

Color version here

eeep, sorry bout that didnt realize it was GINORMOUS. Friggin crap photobucket blows!! I've resized it and its not taking. I am fail :(

HTuran

2690940958_91700b9f22_o.jpg

First time entering one of these assignments, but a long time admirer of everyone's work :)

Going for the simple approach of dirty/pretty with the wilted flower and the full rose (if that wasn't already obvious!).

Camera Canon EOS 400D
Lens Canon 18-55mm (Kit)
Focal Length 55mm
ISO 100
Aperture f5.6
Shutter Speed 1/80

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Gasoline on water at the local marina.

gas-water.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 28 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Shit I totally forgot this assignment when I was out shooting. And I liked it, too, it just slipped my mind. :'(

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/320 second
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO: 400
Post Processing: Crop, color levels, curves, bump up saturation, unsharp mask, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: There are few things as pretty - and powerful - to me as a nicely sculpted crankset and bottom bracket. And a dirty one is a well loved one.

el jacko

hey guys, haven't posted in awhile. I took this over the weekend... it was an all-female Korean heavy metal band. I'm not sure how appropriate it is, I thought there was some beauty in their music.

2690997947_c545764445_o.jpg

1/30s, f2.8, 32mm, iso400

AirBrian

Here we go...!

AirBrian said:

DanielPlainview said:
img2529jk9.jpg

f/11
1/250s
ISO 100

OnkelC said:
Quark and jam:
smallP1040163.jpg

Skuld said:

Xun said:

nitewulf said:

guess said:

Lucky Forward said:
A party favor underfoot:

RSZ_2126ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 85mm f1.2L, ISO 100, 1/500 sec, f/1.2

msdstc said:
First entry is not the greatest... I had 2 things to choose from and I chose this. Jack wasn't too fond of the camera... he was terrified of it:lol :lol :lol

IMG_0240.jpg

cloudwalking said:

dirtc.jpg

Canon EOS 450D
f/3.5
1/200
ISO 200

edit: oops, someone just pointed out to me that posting a portrait might come off as conceited... the photo has more to do with dirt being on a human face and how it can still look natural. i'm not trying to imply that i'm "pretty."

Jebus said:
Shoes....not really pretty BUT they were once very pleasing on the eye, and now they're begging to be replaced. A bit of a rushed entry, i've been too lazy lately.

Dirty_Pretty_Things.jpg

Pentax K10D
ISO 400
F something.

-xBerserker- said:

McSpidey said:
The Rat
The-Rat-Web.jpg

40D, 50mm F1.4 @ F3.2

Tf53 said:
Whew, it was really hard to come up with an idea for this theme.

2690178570_1804379e03_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 (Thanks, Lucky! ;))
Exposure: 0.4 sec (2/5)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 10 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 1 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

LunaClover said:
I give you...phallic tree. Turn head to right and gasp :)

prettydirty1.jpg

Pretty dirty I thought :) Pic didn't turn out as well as I wanted but I found it fitting.

Color version here

HTuran said:
2690940958_91700b9f22_o.jpg

First time entering one of these assignments, but a long time admirer of everyone's work :)

Going for the simple approach of dirty/pretty with the wilted flower and the full rose (if that wasn't already obvious!).

Camera Canon EOS 400D
Lens Canon 18-55mm (Kit)
Focal Length 55mm
ISO 100
Aperture f5.6
Shutter Speed 1/80

aidan said:
Gasoline on water at the local marina.

gas-water.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 28 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/320 second
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO: 400
Post Processing: Crop, color levels, curves, bump up saturation, unsharp mask, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: There are few things as pretty - and powerful - to me as a nicely sculpted crankset and bottom bracket. And a dirty one is a well loved one.

el jacko said:
hey guys, haven't posted in awhile. I took this over the weekend... it was an all-female Korean heavy metal band. I'm not sure how appropriate it is, I thought there was some beauty in their music.

2690997947_c545764445_o.jpg

1/30s, f2.8, 32mm, iso400

Happy voting! :)

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
Winner- aidan- Was definately pretty. I actually saw this when I photographed my entry and couldn't get it quite right. Good Job.
Runner up- AirBrian I thought it was pretty deep take on the theme and made me think about it for awhile.

Honorable Mention- cloudwalking's was very literal and terse, which I liked.

McSpidey

1st: Squirrel Killer - Love the lighting
2nd: xBerserker - So Cute!

HM: aidan (Is there a panorama version of this to show scale somehow?)

This theme didn't really click for me unfortunately..so I just ended up continually putting off taking the assignment photo :(

Jebus

Some fantastic shots with a hard theme this time.

1st: AirBrian - The best of the lot. Bloody well done. Money, its pretty we love it, but at the same time its so dirty and evil, bloody brilliant. Your take on the theme is probably as good as i've seen from any photo in any of the themes so far. Technically to me it's perfect, the really tight focus on the top sheet of money, the up close and personal crop, just bloody well done. The Green just pops out at smacks you in the face while the wallet and the table are simple basic colours that only enhance the green money. Also I can't tell if its a very slight grain or it's just a super detailed shot but it gives a slight dirty feeling to the whole thing, as if the money has been left on the table for some prostitute. Well done AirBrian, so good. I've read a lot into this shot but that's what I love about photography/art.

2nd: Squirrel Killer - Again very well done. I like the lighting you have chosen, and I can certainly see how this falls in the pretty category. Also like the gritty dirty texture which you have brought out well.

HM:
DanielPlainview: I like the subject and it's just a nice shot to look at.
Xun: definitely has pleasant colors and is nice to look at. I like the bokeh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom