• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008 Assignment 45 : Dirty, Pretty Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
1st - aidan
2nd -AirBrian

I loved both of your photos and they're both amazing interpretations of the theme. Kudos to both!

nitewulf

1) airbrian - excellent. this is basically what i was looking for. the shot says it all.
2) squarrelkiller - very nice, i love the colors and the rusty, dirty look.

HMs - mcspidey, aidan, cloudwalking

Mau ®

1.- Cloudwalking
2.- Jebus

I hope I can participate on the next assigment. This one completely slipped under my radar.

joshschw

1st: aidan, Really pretty. Not only was this my favorite photo here it fits the theme perfectly.

2nd: Squirrel Killer, what can i say, I really like this. The minimal lighting looks great.

runner ups:
OnkelC: Looks delicious! Nice photo too. Food can be hard, imo at least.
people find city's like this pretty. But I sure don't. :p Very nice city shot though.
AirBrian: Another nice idea, although I think you could have done a better photo perhaps.
nitewulf: Very nice. I like the way the sun hits their bellies.
cloudwalking: Not a bad idea by any means, and you do look pretty from this so it's a bonus!
LunaClover: I don't see it at all... sorry =(

Tf53

Winner: nitewulf
Runner-up: cloudwalking

HMs: AirBrian, Skuld, Xun, aidan & SK

Comments coming tomorrow, just wanted to get my vote in.

mrkgoo

1st: Cloudwalking.

Runner up: Aidan

Honourable mention: Squirrel Killer, OnkelC

~I still feel bad for not following these as much - I haven't even downloaded some pics I took when I last even touched my camera 2-3 weeks ago :(~

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
1st- Cloud walking- a great take on the theme, as you interpreted it.

2nd Squirrel Killer- I love the lighting and your take on it.

Runner up- Air Brian- really nice shot and take on the theme.

I had a hard time deciding my votes for this one....some great shots here, but theme-wise a lot of the dirty things aren't really pretty, and a lot of the pretty things aren't really dirty...but, oh well, tough theme....

First - cloudwalking - Best straight-up interpretation of the theme and a lovely photo. Nice job!

Runnerup - nitewulf - Beautiful birds, but I guess being gulls makes them dirty scavengers. :)

Honorable mentions:

AirBrian - Great shot, I get the "dirty money" meaning, but those bills look too clean! Nitpick: composition-wise I wish you hadn't clipped the top corner of the one bill.

aidan - Really great idea for this theme, but execution-wise I guess I'm bothered by the glare toward the top of the photo (could a polarizer have helped here?) and the fact that there is no real center of interest.

Squirrel Killer - I really like the dramatic lighting for this shot and it certainly has the "dirty", but I guess I don't see bike parts as pretty.

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward said:
I had a hard time deciding my votes for this one....some great shots here, but theme-wise a lot of the dirty things aren't really pretty, and a lot of the pretty things aren't really dirty...but, oh well, tough theme....

First - cloudwalking - Best straight-up interpretation of the theme and a lovely photo. Nice job!

Runnerup - nitewulf - Beautiful birds, but I guess being gulls makes them dirty scavengers. :)

Honorable mentions:

AirBrian - Great shot, I get the "dirty money" meaning, but those bills look too clean! Nitpick: composition-wise I wish you hadn't clipped the top corner of the one bill.

aidan - Really great idea for this theme, but execution-wise I guess I'm bothered by the glare toward the top of the photo (could a polarizer have helped here?) and the fact that there is no real center of interest.

Squirrel Killer - I really like the dramatic lighting for this shot and it certainly has the "dirty", but I guess I don't see bike parts as pretty.

OMG. Your avatar.

*melts*

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lucky Forward said:
Aw, thanks! :) That's Duncan when he was 8 weeks old back in '96.

I pmed you and I dunno if you got it, but how is he doing? You haven't posted any pictures of him lately :(. I mean I haven't talked to you much before, and I don't wanna cross a line, but I'm just making sure he's ok. I saw the pictures of the ramp you made for him in another thread and it got me feeling kinda sad :(. That was a nice thing you did for him.

Xun

First: aidan
Runner-up: cloudwalking

HMs: AirBrian, McSpidey, Lucky Forward, Squirrel Killer, Jebus

msdstc said:
I pmed you and I dunno if you got it, but how is he doing? You haven't posted any pictures of him lately :(. I mean I haven't talked to you much before, and I don't wanna cross a line, but I'm just making sure he's ok. I saw the pictures of the ramp you made for him in another thread and it got me feeling kinda sad :(. That was a nice thing you did for him.
Oh, sorry, I hardly ever think to check PM's, but thanks for asking after Duncan!

He's doing pretty well for a twelve-and-a-half year old lab. He does have arthritis in his back legs and so we don't do our long hikes anymore, but he's got a one-acre yard to wander around here and he does okay for an old-timer. Personality-wise, he's still a big ol' sweetheart, and I take him out for visits to see family and friends quite often (I have to give him a boost up and down from the front seat of my truck), so he's still enjoying life. I lost my first dog to cancer when he was only seven, so I've learned to really appreciate every day Duncan is still around.

I had that "snarling Duncan" avatar for the longest while (inside joke--he was only coughing up a mouthful of water while swimming), but just for fun I switched to one of his old puppy pictures.

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward said:
Oh, sorry, I hardly ever think to check PM's, but thanks for asking after Duncan!

He's doing pretty well for a twelve-and-a-half year old lab. He does have arthritis in his back legs and so we don't do our long hikes anymore, but he's got a one-acre yard to wander around here and he does okay for an old-timer. Personality-wise, he's still a big ol' sweetheart, and I take him out for visits to see family and friends quite often (I have to give him a boost up and down from the front seat of my truck), so he's still enjoying life. I lost my first dog to cancer when he was only seven, so I've learned to really appreciate every day Duncan is still around.

I had that "snarling Duncan" avatar for the longest while (inside joke--he was only coughing up a mouthful of water while swimming), but just for fun I switched to one of his old puppy pictures.

*hugs* for Duncan.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
First: Jebus - The best photo of the bunch and absolutely nails the theme. I have an old, beat up pair of adidas runners that have travelled the world with me and they're the most beautiful things. Dirty as all hell, though.

Runner-up: HTuran - I had this same idea but couldn't find the right combination of plants! Terrifically exectuted.

Hms:

AirBrian - I like the concept (and wanted to do something similar with coins) but, like someone else said, I think I could have preferred the shot if even just one of the bills wasn't so crispy and new. I work in a bank and know how dirty money can get (literally and metaphorically!)

McSpidey - Very evocative!

Squirrel Killer - As a cyclist (albeit a rather lame one) I can certainly appreciate the beauty under all the grime!

Comments:

Lucky Forward - I like the shot, but I don't think I get it.

cloudwalking - Beyond the oh-my-god-a-pretty-girl-posts-on-gaf shock of the photo, I just feel like the execution was lazy. I think it would have had more effect if there was some emotional impact to the photo – why is she dirty? A more beat-up, heroinesque look (and perhaps a black & white conversion) would have helped the photo immensely.

Re: Comments on my shot

Skuld said:
Winner- aidan- Was definately pretty. I actually saw this when I photographed my entry and couldn't get it quite right. Good Job.

Thanks, I actually thought it was just a throwaway shot (the camera was having trouble focusing) until I got home and loaded it onto my computer.

McSpidey said:
HM: aidan (Is there a panorama version of this to show scale somehow?)

Nothing else, like I mentioned, I only took the one arbitrary photo, not expecting anything. The scale isn't huge, mind you, probably covering about 10 square feet or so.

joshschw said:
1st: aidan, Really pretty. Not only was this my favorite photo here it fits the theme perfectly.

Thanks!

Lucky Forward said:

Funny you mention that. I played around with the crop quite a bit, even removing all the light glare from the top of the photo. But in the end I liked the unsettling feeling caused by the light and decided to leave it in.

Thanks for the votes, everyone! This assignment was one of the toughest for me in a long time and really stretched my creativity, which is exactly what I love about our group of photographers.

AirBrian

First Choice: Jebus
Runner-Up: nitewulf

HM: aidan and Squirrel Killer.

Great job, guys! It was really tough to vote. And thanks for all the comments (and votes). :)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lucky Forward said:

Yeah he's a cutie:D. I just lost my golden retriever about 2 weeks ago :( so I was just expressing my concern if anything had gone wrong, because I know what it's like to lose them, but I'm glad to hear he's ok!:D Sounds like you guys are good friends though.

First Choice: HTuran - It's such a small portion of the photo that is in focus, that I want to knock it on that basis, but I realize that would destroy what you're trying to do with the photo. Very well done.

Runner Up: aidan - There is such a disgusting beauty to gas/oil on water that it wonderfully fits the theme. The four to five floaters (I hope for their sake, they're not fish,) however, detract from the interplay of gas and water.

Honorable Mentions:
cloudwalking - Skuld said this was "terse." What a great word for this entry. I wish you hadn't put in the "Oh, I hope you don't think I'm arrogant" spiel, it just reads very much like false modesty.

guess - A bit blunt, but I obviously relate to metal.

daw840

Winner: Aidan

Runner Up: SquirrelKiller

This was hard to vote on, all of them were great. Hopefully I catch the next assignment!

How lame of a joke would it be if I said I felt like I needed a shower?

32 cloudwalking
22 aidan
14 AirBrian
10 Jebus
8 Squirrel Killer
6 nitewulf
4 HTuran
2 el jacko
1 -xBerserker-
0 DanielPlainview
0 guess
0 Lucky Forward
0 LunaClover
0 McSpidey
0 msdstc
0 OnkelC
0 Skuld
0 Tf53
0 Xun

The Top Three:
cloudwalking
dirtc.jpg

aidan
gas-water.jpg

AirBrian
GAF-45.jpg

Qwik stats:
Winning Margin: 10
Entries: 19
Votes: 25
Vote Distribution: 47% (9 of 19)
New Participants: cloudwalking, HTuran
Ironmen: aidan, AirBrian, and Squirrel Killer

Random trivia:
- Humus, the organic material that give dirt it's color, is not related to hummus. Thankfully.

Congratulations, cloudwalking on your first win!

Also, updated FAQ here.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Thanks so much everyone, and congratulations to all who submitted photos! I had a lot of fun participating in this assignment and I will definitely be back to participate more. I'm glad that I received comments and criticism on my photo too, as I'm extremely new to my camera and photography in general, and anything I can hear from others is very valuable to me.

OnkelC said:
extremely sensual pic.

Thank you! I wasn't trying to evoke any sort of specific feeling out of the photo, I wanted it to be as "interpretable" as possible. :) I'm happy to hear your impression.

joshschw said:
Not a bad idea by any means, and you do look pretty from this so it's a bonus!

The idea came to me pretty quickly -- the only thing I wished is that I'd had someone to model the idea for me rather than shooting a photo of myself. I think that I could have controlled the shot a lot better that way. Maybe next time I'll force Jarosh to model for me :p Thanks for the comment!

Lucky Forward said:
Best straight-up interpretation of the theme and a lovely photo. Nice job!

Thanks a lot :) I toyed with the idea of going outside and find something to shoot. But then I decided it would be more fun to make something dirty myself! It's great to hear your opinion on it.

aidan said:
Beyond the oh-my-god-a-pretty-girl-posts-on-gaf shock of the photo, I just feel like the execution was lazy. I think it would have had more effect if there was some emotional impact to the photo – why is she dirty? A more beat-up, heroinesque look (and perhaps a black & white conversion) would have helped the photo immensely.

Thank you for your comments! I actually agree with you on this one. The idea actually came to me almost as soon as I read the theme, and I wanted to do a lot more with it -- I actually had a more "heroic" atmosphere in mind and wanted to do the photo from the waist up, shoot outside, and use even more dirt. However, due to time constraints, I had to tone it down pretty immensely. In the end, I am still happy with the shot, but I definitely want to revisit this concept another time when I have more time and planning in which to shoot. I am really glad that I got the chance to participate, though :)

I also considered black and white but in the end I went with the earthy, brown tones because I thought it added a better atmosphere.

So, thanks again everyone! I'll think up a fun theme for us for next time!

Congrats to cloudwalking, aidan, and AirBrian!

msdstc said:
Yeah he's a cutie:D. I just lost my golden retriever about 2 weeks ago :( so I was just expressing my concern if anything had gone wrong, because I know what it's like to lose them, but I'm glad to hear he's ok!:D Sounds like you guys are good friends though.

Thanks, I'm sorry for your loss...I thought I had posted condolences in your thread, but I just checked and realized I didn't. I think it's because GAF had a bad stretch for a while where it seemed like there was a new thread about someone losing their dog every few days. :(

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
Next subject coming up soon? I'm getting antsy that cloudwalking forgot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom