• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii Ware title Sword & Soldiers

wotter

Just got this in the mail, looks cool:

Ronimo Games announces their studio and the first competitive strategy game for Wii Ware: Swords & Soldiers.

UTRECHT, THE NETHERLANDS – August 15, 2008 – The developers of the original version of “de Blob” announce their new game studio Ronimo Games and their first title: Swords & Soldiers.

Ronimo Games is founded by seven developers in Utrecht, the Netherlands. As students the team was responsible for the original pc game “de Blob”. Being an innovative and fun game, “de Blob” became popular on the internet and was eventually picked up by THQ. The publisher bought the IP and will soon release the new version of “de Blob” for Nintendo Wii.
Fabian Akker, one of the co-founders: “de Blob was the eye opener for us, that we can make cool games and function as a good team. The game definitely gave us the opportunity to start our own company”.

The team is developing a new game for Wii Ware: Swords & Soldiers. Swords & Soldiers is a sidescrolling real time strategy game, in which three distinct factions battle for the powers of the gods. The game will feature a single player campaign and a competitive splitscreen multiplayer mode as well as several other game modes. Three screenshots are included with this press release.
Akker: “We always dreamed of designing an RTS and when Wii Ware came out we immediately figured that this was our chance.”

Swords & Soldiers will be the first competitive strategy game on Wii Ware and is scheduled for European, Australian and American release in Q4 2008.

first screenshots:

screenshot1_1600x1200.jpg

screenshot2_1600x1200.jpg

screenshot3_1600x1200.jpg

Bluemercury said:
In before:

"should have been on 360/ps3"
"I hope its not for wii".......bla bla bla

Pretty sure someone in the original thread said that it should have been on XBLA.

Edit: Well, not quite saying that it should be on XBLA, but:

thuway said:
The art direction looks decent, but I think the flash animation style is going to get quickly played out. I think this would make an amazing XBLA / PSN title.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331476

HUELEN10

Nice. Screens at a res the console can't even output........

Maybe it will unlock the 2nd core?

Regardless, the game looks very nice!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It's about time Haggar The Horrible got his own game.

It's worthy to mention that the creators of this game are the same exact guys that created the original student version of De Blob. Basically some college students that created the De Blob game for the PC, sold it to THQ, and now created their own company.

I hope this does well for them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
figured it was coming out soon. they just had a dev talk on this on Nintendo Channel.

looks great and 1000 points is a great price. Bring it on!

w000000t, I need some money on my credit card by friday. This is awesome news. Hopefully there will be some great DSi games as well.

Price is great! Was expecting 1500.

Gabyskra

Banned
It's coming out in a bit more than 3 hours here in Europe, I'm pretty excited!

561623-swords_and_soldiers_001_super.jpg

I'll get it as soon as it gets available.

billy.sea

Banned
Looks pretty cool like Castle Crasher.

It seems to have good multiplayer? Very wonder why there aren't many good multiplayer game on Wiiware as the Wii is the party console of choice.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Peolple need to buy this game is pretty awesome - wiiware is on a rol lately after bit trip beat now sowrd and soldiers. music,graphics,controls everything works fine and the story/dialoges are pretty hilarious too :D

Rolf NB

Played the first campaign (Vikings) up to level 9 in what must have been 1:30h. I think I'm nearing the final levels of that campaign. There are two more campaigns beyond that and then some skirmish modes I didn't check out yet.

Units pop out of your base as you build them and they immediately start marching forward, you don't control them, you can't stop them, so you always need to pay attention to your front-lines. You only do support yourself, cast healing spells, maybe debuff clumps of enemies with a snowstorm spell, hit a particularly large enemy with lightning strike.

The interface is super-simple: highlight things with the pointer, A button to perform an action, B button to cancel. Scroll either with the d-pad or by moving the pointer to a screen edge.
There's a row of icons at the top where you can build units or select a spell to cast. You can also directly hop into the upgrades menu from there and work through your little tech tree of spells and new unit types.

You're mostly busy juggling your attention between healing, building new units and researching new stuff. It does get slightly challenging now, mostly because it's so hectic. There's a lot of unit turnover, because you can't just withdraw a unit type that is at a disadvantage versus whatever the enemy throws at you, they'll just keep marching forward and will be stomped. New units always take a while to advance from back at your home base, so you can't immediately respond either. Just build a reasonable mix of everything, keep them all healed as far as mana will allow and hope for the best.

I like it. The writing is crazy, it looks nice, sounds nice.

Rolf NB

Nobody cares anymore?

I'm stuck on the third mission in the Aztec campaign. Can't trap six units at once, sorry brah.

I can't shake the feeling that at least some of the developers hang out on GAF a lot. The language is all too familiar. Case in point: they use the idiot's passive form in a mission name: "Trap'd". Who does that?

Capndrake

Some of the achievement names are awesome:

-4 the Horde
-Can't Touch This
-Cooking by the Book
-Lost Vikings
-Pity the Fool
-RickRolled
-Son of Norris
-Techno Viking Dances Away

I beat the Viking campaign (Not too hard), I'm currently stuck at the final Aztec stage (
2 opponents in one stage, the second goes absolutely mental once you beat the first
) and I'm at the 6th Chinese stage (Haven't tried it yet). I actually managed to get a perfect score in the Boulder minigame and made it to the end of the Berserker Run as well :D

Scrubking

Capndrake said:
Some of the achievement names are awesome:

-4 the Horde
-Can't Touch This
-Cooking by the Book
-Lost Vikings
-Pity the Fool
-RickRolled
-Son of Norris
-Techno Viking Dances Away

I beat the Viking campaign (Not too hard), I'm currently stuck at the final Aztec stage (
2 opponents in one stage, the second goes absolutely mental once you beat the first
) and I'm at the 6th Chinese stage (Haven't tried it yet). I actually managed to get a perfect score in the Boulder minigame and made it to the end of the Berserker Run as well :D

About how long is this game?

The devs said Singleplayer including all achievements is about 20hours.
I think a play-trough can be done in under 10hours.

I'm going to play a bit more in a couple of minutes. ATM I'm watching TV and surfing on GAF :)

I scanned over the achievements tonight, too. These are so great :D

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bcn-ron said:
Nobody cares anymore?
I would if it were out in NA. Hopefully this hits Monday. Probably my most anticipated WiiWare game along with night game, cave story and FF:CC:MLAADL

Game's pretty great, it's all on a 2D plane but there are parts in the levels where you can choose between going high or low, dodging enemies etc. Writing is pretty funny, gfx are great and gameplay is fun. I definitely recommend it at that price.

LOL the campaign is so great. All the characters are awesome :D Especially their names :lol

Tried the berserk mode. Great idea but really challenging imho.

The Mindcontrolling and Zombieing of the Aztecs are awesome.
I don't know why but those remind me of the GBA of C&C Generals. That said, I have to install Generals again :D

BTW: :lol @ credits: "Special Thanks to Rockband and Guitar Hero"

Rolf NB

Capndrake said:
)
I failed that one too. I was wondering if the boulder might solve that particular problem. I don't even know if it's available in the tech tree but it's probably worth trying.

Boerseun

Banned
Anyone else find that the Aztecs are severely underpowered?

The Vikings have strong melee fighters with lots of endurance, not to mention fast mana regeneration.

The Chinese have those sorcerer guys who can take out ANY unit with a one hit kill (and they are ranged units!).

What do the Aztecs have? Warriors get resurrected as worthless skeletons, while their supposedly super-strong golden giants are easily taken out by above-mentioned Chinese sorcerer dudes.

So yes, I'm struggling with the Aztec campaign. Any tips?

Dascu

Boerseun said:
Anyone else find that the Aztecs are severely underpowered?

The Vikings have strong melee fighters with lots of endurance, not to mention fast mana regeneration.

The Chinese have those sorcerer guys who can take out ANY unit with a one hit kill (and they are ranged units!).

What do the Aztecs have? Warriors get resurrected as worthless skeletons, while their supposedly super-strong golden giants are easily taken out by above-mentioned Chinese sorcerer dudes.

So yes, I'm struggling with the Aztec campaign. Any tips?
Steal the Spaniards' horses and gunpowder shipments, so you can build your own cavalry and can-... oh nevermind, wrong game.

Top Bottom