• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShockers: Creative Assembly is developing Total War: Star Wars game

Dazraell

A total of three new Total War games are in development at Creative Assembly, with one of them being an officially licensed Star Wars game, DualShockers has learned.

The last Total War game to be released was last year's Total War: Pharaoh, which was developed by Creative Assembly Sofia and published by Sega for Windows. A MacOS version was also released, but published by Feral Interactive.

While Pharaoh was a much more grounded approach compared to previous entries, such as Total War: Warhammer and Total War: Three Kingdoms, the series is allegedly returning to the fantasy route with a new Star Wars entry.

As of October 2023, Total War: Star Wars was reportedly the second of three new Total War games that are allegedly in the works at Creative Assembly. With new Total War games often released annually (aside from 2021, which was the first year without a mainline Total War game since 2014), it's possible that Creative Assembly is gearing up to release Total War: Star Wars in the next couple of years. But with three new games reportedly in the works, there's no way to know which is the furthest along in development.

Currently, Creative Assembly Sofia is hard at work on a new, large-scale update for Total War: Pharaoh. In a new blog post from the development team earlier this month, Creative Assembly reaffirmed the intention to "increase the size of the campaign map and introduce even more cultures and ways of engaging in glorious strategic conquest."

The studio went on to confirm that a "vast" free update that "significantly reworks the existing campaign mode already available in Pharaoh’s base-game" will be released later this year. "This update will usher in a host of exciting new additions whilst also implementing some familiar content from its Bronze-Age brother, A Total War Saga: TROY," Creative Assembly said.

As the update will be implementing some big changes to the game, Creative Assembly says it will be taking steps to ensure players still have the choice to "experience the original campaign" should they wish to.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
My hope is that money-hungry corporates adopt AI to churn out this lifeless IP shit so that actual artists can come up with new stuff.

Last edited:

fatmarco

I mean great for casuals, but where the hell is Medieval: Total War 3 or Rome: Total War 3? Even Empire 2?

Rome 2 came out over a decade ago. We'll be pushing 20 years for Medieval 2.

How about something authentic and historical? You know, for the fans of the games that made Creative Assembly what it is?

Last edited:
I don't believe it. Sega is. Fucked, CA is fucked, their best saga total Warhammer is fucked. And now you're doing an all in with star wars? It could be true, but severe doubts from my part

MH3M3D

No. Just NO.... F U Creative Assembly if true! We've been waiting for a proper historic Total War game since Rome 2. Just when I thought they were finally done with the warhammer crap. This better not be true.
Also Star Wars needs to DIE. Enough is enough, even its own creator was done with it. Just let it RIP already.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Eeeeeeeh I have no faith in CA now but I hope I'm wrong. Also please use a new engine for the next game.

Kombucha No But GIF

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I mean great for casuals, but where the hell is Medieval: Total War 3 or Rome: Total War 3? Even Empire 2?

How about something authentic and historical? You know, for the fans of the games that made Creative Assembly what it is?
AFAIK they have 3 different teams. Historical, Saga, and Fantasy. The historical team's last game was 3 Kingdoms which is coming up on 5 years old now. They apparently have been working on something for a while now so I'm hopeful we'll hear something soon.

Hari Seldon

I don't give a shit about Warhammer, but after finally playing those games I ended up really liking them due to the faction unit diversity. My fear with the Star Wars license is that it won't have this diversity. I hope that this game is good, but I have big doubts.

StereoVsn

Yep, I would have loved Total War Empires 2. But I guess we won’t see a historical game properly done after that Pharaoh disaster.

StereoVsn

Don't hold your breath.

I'd also love a Med 3 or an Empire 2, but Warhammer was such a massive financial success that they'll be focusing more on sci-fi/Fantasy in the future.
And that’s annoying AF since I am not a big fan of the more fantastical side of their games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
And that’s annoying AF since I am not a big fan of the more fantastical side of their games.

I could be wrong. According to this report there are three TW games in development. If this report is true then it's Star Wars, Three Kingdoms 2 and then a mystery third game.

It could be that the third game is Med 3 to release on the 20th anniversary in 2026, or it could be Warhammer 40k.

CamHostage

And for those of us who do still like Star Wars...

I think this is going to be the biggest hit of the franchise, and will help resolidify Creative Assembly (which would help after suffering in the Hyena loss.) The series does surprisingly well on its own outside of the biggest common franchises, they don't necessarily need a big name like Star Wars to produce a hit, but this could be a good fit conceptually and financially.

Katatonic

Hate what Disney has done with Star Wars but I'll definitely be supporting Creative Assembly. This is gonna be good.

Top Bottom