• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge racer, will we see a new one this gen?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i absolutely love ridge racer, but after the ps3 launch i dont know if it sold well enough to warrant another sequel this gen, do you guys think well see a new one soon? next E3?

or PS4 launch? I would really like a new one, i hope im not the only one.

I love me some Ridge Racer. The PSP launch title is, in my humble opinion, still one of the very best titles on the system.

I'd like a major entry in the series (360 and PS3 please) but prefer an actual PSP Ridge Racer sequel.

Ronin

I'd love a new Ridge Racer game. Just not as half ass as the past 4 installments (6/7 & PSP games).

maxax

Ridge Racer 2 for PSP is an amazing game. I'd really love another one for this gen, altough I haven't even played 7 yet.
Is it any good?

Ridge Racer 1 and 2 on the PSP is awesome. 6 was meh but 7 was awesome. I'll gladly take another Ridge Racer as long as it has good online and new tracks.

Ronin said:
I'd love a new Ridge Racer game. Just not as half ass as the past 4 installments (6/7 & PSP games).

* slap * You take that back! The PSP Ridge Racers are fantastic games, and more than worthy entries into the series!

DCharlie

Banned
we should be seeing Ridge Racer Vision 2010 any time soon surely?

all real time at TGS this year in early form, as promised back in 2006.

:I WANTS TO BEVERLYS!:

robot

The world could always use a new Ridge Racer...but as much as I think the latest iterations are the best Ridge Racers to date (yes better than R4), we can use more lovin in these sequels.(stares angrily as the RR2 for PSP). Seriously, you can barely tell it's a sequel!

Ronin

Poimandres said:
* slap * You take that back! The PSP Ridge Racers are fantastic games, and more than worthy entries into the series!
I did like the PSP games, but I'm not crazy about how similiar they are to RR6 & 7.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
For anyone who owns the original Ridge Racer on PSP should have got rid of it years ago and bought RR2 instead.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
scamco's recycling antics with rr 'seven' and rr 'two' psp may well have killed the series

gj scamco

rr6 remains one of my favorite games this gen, and i'd kill for a proper sequel

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If anything, people should be jumping up and down over Ridge Racer on PSP being a more shallow product than RR2. At least with RR2 you get every single track that was ever released in the series up till Ridge Racer V.

Ronin said:
I did like the PSP games, but I'm not crazy about how similiar RR6 & 7 are to them.

Fixed for accuracy. The original PSP Ridge Racer was a launch title, well before RR6. At the time it was a great revitalisation of the series. Superb handling mechanics, great soundtrack, fast and it looked great.

I agree that RR6 and RR7 didn't do much beyond that- but the original PSP game was golden.

Pachael

Ronin said:
I did like the PSP games, but I'm not crazy about how similiar they are to RR6 & 7.

I thought it's the other way around. RR2 PSP is with me whereever I go, it's a gem. I clearly remember RR6 & 7 consoles came out after RR PSP, which the critique should then be that RR6 & RR7 are really similar to RR2 PSP. Which in many ways, they are.

It's fortunate that I skipped on RR when RR2 was out.

DCharlie

Banned
Seriously, you can barely tell it's a sequel!

when i first put the disk in i actually thought it was a misprint and it was the old RR1 rom. :/

it is better, but it's too damned similar to the first one (as great as that was)

Ronin

Poimandres said:
Fixed for accuracy. The original PSP Ridge Racer was a launch title, well before RR6. At the time it was a great revitalisation of the series. Superb handling mechanics, great soundtrack, fast and it looked great.

I agree that RR6 and RR7 didn't do much beyond that- but the original PSP game was golden.
Yeah, I just worded that wrong. :lol

Ridge Racer was the reason I bought a PSP in the first place and I love it. RR6 and 7 were the first games for my 360 and PS3, and while I did enjoy them, they really felt too familiar.

Ronin said:
Yeah, I just worded that wrong. :lol

Ridge Racer was the reason I bought a PSP in the first place and I love it. RR6 and 7 were the first games for my 360 and PS3, and while I did enjoy them, they really felt too familiar.

Then all is well in the world. Your observations are true indeed.

Poimandres said:
I love me some Ridge Racer. The PSP launch title is, in my humble opinion, still one of the very best titles on the system.

I'd like a major entry in the series (360 and PS3 please) but prefer an actual PSP Ridge Racer sequel.

Amen to these thoughts. If I remember correctly, we used to clock up hours of racing on RR PSP multiplayer. Good times. Fast times.

I'd love an online PSP RR, more than anything.

Brashnir

UnholySpectacle said:
Yup, what made 7 so bad for you? I loved the online in 7 more than 6. 6 just felt lifeless to me compared to 7.

Nothing's bad about 7. In fact, it's almsot the exact same game as 6, which was almost the exact same game as the RR that launched with PSP. I don't see how one of them could be considered "meh" if you liked the other two.

7 is definitely the best of the series, but the improvements it brings to the table are probably going to be unnoticeable to anybody who judges the game based on the GP races by itself. Things that come to mind after an absurd amount of time with the game:

-Best online implementation I've seen in a console game; the whole way that everything you do contributes to an online ranking was great. What *wasn't* great is that Namco didn't patch an obvious exploit, leading to the ranking graveyard you see today. I really wonder why those guys didn't think they might have to do some community support.

-The parts system and drafting fix every problem I had with Ridge 6 and Ridge PSP. Now you don't have to race absolutely perfect to do well, and the parts types let you choose your own way to drive, rather than being stuck with "Angelus or else". It also alleviates a lot of the grind, because the rewards are actually tangible as opposed to the weak "new mode" stuff or minor paint jobs released.

-Art style was improved significantly; go back and play Ridge 6 and you'll wonder why every level has dark storm clouds and half the brightness.

-Unlike Ridge 6, you can actually play the DLC music tracks at any point in the game. (Ridge 6 restricted you to choosing before the race; you can't select DLC music during the race...ughhh)

Pylon_Trooper said:
Amen to these thoughts. If I remember correctly, we used to clock up hours of racing on RR PSP multiplayer. Good times. Fast times.

I'd love an online PSP RR, more than anything.

Ah, those were the days. Surely we raced hundreds of hours.

RR3 on PSP with online play would be a godsend- nay, the incarnation of god himself!

Ploid 3.0

stuminus3 said:
Burnout is your new Ridge Racer. With 573% more smashy.

This, I played all the psx ridge racers, and I played the first PS2 ridge racer (didn't like it too much). Ridge Racer Type 4 was the best to me. Burnout reminded me of ridge racer a lot. You're in the same city, the made up cars, and the way you can drift (feels like ridge racer's drift). Very satisfying feeling when you do a clean drift around a circular road, then change around to drift around the next bend.

R4's intro. Good memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMZ872rsa90

Ploid 3.0 said:
This, I played all the psx ridge racers, and I played the first PS2 ridge racer (didn't like it too much). Ridge Racer Type 4 was the best to me. Burnout reminded me of ridge racer a lot. You're in the same city, the made up cars, and the way you can drift (feels like ridge racer's drift). Very satisfying feeling when you do a clean drift around a circular road, then change around to drift around the next bend.

R4's intro. Good memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMZ872rsa90

Argh! Burnout 2 was somewhat comporable, but nothing beyond that.

Ploid 3.0

Poimandres said:
Argh! Burnout 2 was somewhat comporable, but nothing beyond that.

I meant paradise. I never played the other burnouts. Just that it reminded me of ridge racer. Seems like I should look into R7 after Crazymoogle's post. Sounds good.

mollipen

Crazymoogle said:
-Art style was improved significantly; go back and play Ridge 6 and you'll wonder why every level has dark storm clouds and half the brightness.

But... the cloudy skies were one of the things I really loved about RR6. :(

Seriously, for anybody who doesn't have it, get Ridge Racer 2 on the PSP. All of the PS1 tracks (which also means all of the R4 tracks) in one PSP Ridge Racer? So, so hot. It's the closest thing I'll probably ever get to a true Type 4 remake.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If they're making a RR8 (which they are, obviously), I hope Angelus (or whatever her name was) isn't in it.

Took me like 400 tries and a controller to beat her... :mad:

FightyF

Banned
I really want a Rage Racer sequel. I don't mind the PSP style of Ridge Racers...they aren't bad...but I prefer and crave another Rage Racer game.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
jett said:
Next RR should have less autodrifting.
This, and more crashing. Ridge Racer feels so dull. If they want to go the Burnout route, add some painful-to-watch wrecks, forchristsakes.

S. L.

the hell, Burnout is nothing like ridge racer.

stylistically R4 may be the pinnacle, but gameplay i would rate RRV, RR7 and Rage Racer before that.

Top Bottom