• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge racer, will we see a new one this gen?

sw26

I'd love to see another game in the series, as I got 7 last year with my PS3 (my first game in the series since Rage Racer) and absolutely loved it.

DJ Sl4m

Yea I'll be all over the next RR game if it's more like RR4.

The auto drifting was ridiculous in 6&7, waaaaaaaay over done, to the point of ruining the experience for me.

robot

S. L. said:
the hell, Burnout is nothing like ridge racer.

stylistically R4 may be the pinnacle, but gameplay i would rate RRV, RR7 and Rage Racer before that.

Agreed, somwhat.

There's no doubting style and presentation of R4 still reigns supreme. But gameplay wise, 6 and 7 are so much tighter, faster and more fluid imo. The framerate is a huge factor though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
sw26 said:
I'd love to see another game in the series, as I got 7 last year with my PS3 (my first game in the series since Rage Racer) and absolutely loved it.

Same here, I bought RR7 just because I needed something to play on my PS3 since I beat MGS4 and I'm more than happy with it. Awesome game, but it's the environments in the game that I really enjoy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
UnholySpectacle said:
Yup, what made 7 so bad for you? I loved the online in 7 more than 6. 6 just felt lifeless to me compared to 7.
I don't get that either. I thought RR7 was basically a more complete version of RR6. RR6 always had a somewhat rough feel with wildly uneven visuals and lengthy load times. RR7 felt more polished overall (superior menus, MUCH faster loading with install, etc), feature improved visuals, a few more tracks, and some other nice tweaks. I was disappointed with RR7 initially as it didn't bring much new to the table, but it DID make RR6 pretty much worthless (I haven't had any reason to play RR6 since).

I'd love to see a NEW Ridge game, though. One set around a city like RRV. The remake of the city track that was included in RR7 was just fantastic (one of the best looking tracks in the game) and I wanted to see more done with that visual design.

I always get a lot of grief for it, but I would rather play Ridge Racer than Gran Turismo, PGR, etc, any day of the week. I don't know what it is, but I've always loved the series. I do agree though that Burnout is pretty much the spirituall successor to the series. I just wish they would get rid of the obnoxious announcer / music.

noonche

Crazymoogle said:
7 is definitely the best of the series, but the improvements it brings to the table are probably going to be unnoticeable to anybody who judges the game based on the GP races by itself. Things that come to mind after an absurd amount of time with the game:

-Best online implementation I've seen in a console game; the whole way that everything you do contributes to an online ranking was great. What *wasn't* great is that Namco didn't patch an obvious exploit, leading to the ranking graveyard you see today. I really wonder why those guys didn't think they might have to do some community support.

-The parts system and drafting fix every problem I had with Ridge 6 and Ridge PSP. Now you don't have to race absolutely perfect to do well, and the parts types let you choose your own way to drive, rather than being stuck with "Angelus or else". It also alleviates a lot of the grind, because the rewards are actually tangible as opposed to the weak "new mode" stuff or minor paint jobs released.

-Art style was improved significantly; go back and play Ridge 6 and you'll wonder why every level has dark storm clouds and half the brightness.

-Unlike Ridge 6, you can actually play the DLC music tracks at any point in the game. (Ridge 6 restricted you to choosing before the race; you can't select DLC music during the race...ughhh)

I completely agree with this. RR7 is the pinnacle of the series for me. I really hope we get another.

jibblypop

Banned
I just downloaded the RR6 demo the other night. The controls and auto-drifting and camera all together made it very annoying to play.
I loved ridge racer 4 though.

I love the PSP games but they hurt my hands (via the PSP) so I got rid of the first one and only played the demo for the second.

Loved RR6 though, and upgraded to 7 because I could do so on the cheap. But really it's not that big of a difference. I'm glad I waited a while.

Top Bottom