• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Durante

bannery2plt.jpg

header_updates5urw3.jpg

(latest on top)​

impressions_top1lpf4.jpg

impressions_main8hr75.gif

impressions_bottom7iq89.jpg

6h3x1z.jpg

header_basicinfowpqgq.jpg

• Release Dates: 2008-10-31 EU, 2008-11-04 US
  • Genre: SRPG
  • Platform: PS3
  • Publisher/Developer: SEGA
  • Official Website
  • Wikipedia
  • Demo available on PSN (worldwide)
  • Game length: 25-40 hours on the first playthrough.

header_featuresvuphp.jpg

• Made by a team composed of many former Skies of Arcadia developers.
  • Music composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto.
  • CANVAS graphics engine: Non-photorealistic stroke-based rendering offers a unique graphical style.
  • Novel gameplay, combining elements from RPGs, TBS, RTS and third person shooters.
  • Fantasy setting inspired by 1930s Europe.
  • Dual audio option (choose between English and Japanese voice acting).
  • Optional 4GB HDD installation, though "the disk load times were fine as they were" (nofi).

header_reviews4lq9g.jpg

• "Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing experience. It’s rare, these days, that a game can make such a huge departure from its genre’s roots and yet keep the best things about it. It revolutionizes strategy RPGs in such a way that it can be appealing to fans of the subgenre, newcomers, and perhaps even sworn-off non-fans of it."(RPGLand, 10/10)
  • "Unlike many tactical games, Valkyria Chronicles requires tactics. Gloriously, however, it does not confine the player to figuring out a single pattern or strategy per mission."
  • "The characters are excellently developed, likeable, well-acted and well-scripted. While scattered elements of these will be labeled as cliche, the plot is executed well, the story is very enjoyable, the cast is quite likeable, and all of the above feel extra fresh because of the unique setting and scenario."
  • "Another thing Valkyria has going on for it is challenge. Even in the first playthrough when “Normal” is the highest difficulty available for a given battle, this is a legitimately difficult game."
    -
  • "The best thing about Valkyria is the way the game gets better the more you play it. As you progress through your first play through, unlocking improved weapons, character classes, command options, and skirmishes, you'll really start to bond with your squad as the solid story sucks you in."
  • "Valkyria offers some of the most fun and rewarding game mechanics I have experienced in recent memory. It's an addictive game thanks to its depth and variety."
  • "Though the story takes a purposefully narrow focus on Welkin's platoon and the relationships between its members, it never gets too melodramatic or clichéd. There is a lot of heart and humor, and the optional stories and side quests add to the depth of each character."
    -
  • "Valkyria Chronicles is a truly magnificent outing for Sega. It dares to be different, it scoffs at genre conventions and finds its own path, and in doing so succeeds brilliantly as both a deep strategy experience and a wonderfully story-driven RPG."
  • "Yet patient players will be rewarded: the story is quite charming and deftly told despite needing to support a hefty cast of characters each with their own journeys to take. Better, the art direction is exquisite, with its watercolour and pencil techniques conveying a pastoral romance to proceedings that contrasts poignantly with the machinery of war."
  • "What's truly gratifying about each battle is that it feels like you emerge victorious because you made some smart decisions and adapted your strategy to the situation. Battlefields start small and confined in the early chapters, but soon open up into expansive fields brimming with tactical opportunity via an assortment of criss-crossing paths, back alleys, sniper towers and various war-torn debris."
    -
  • "But, honestly, this is so innovative and so polished a game that if you pass it up, the real moron is you." (1UP, A-)
  • "Like most of you, I wear my socks firmly ensconced within a pair of sneakers, which are themselves strapped tightly to my feet with strong, cordlike shoelaces. Imagine my disappointment in my footwear-securing preparations, then, when Valkyria Chronicles knocked those same socks clean off my feet. This is, without question, the best tactics game on the PS3 -- and it's one of the best games on PS3, period."
    -
  • "Valkyria Chronicles is a excellent game, the way that the story and action fuse together is very impressive, as is the overall presentation. It looks fantastic, plays well and tells a wonderful story of one countries fight for survival against the odds. This is one game I would highly recommend for any PS3 owner looking for something different." (Wonderwallweb, 8.9)
  • "Valkyria Chronicles is a sleeper hit, and a must for any strategy nut."
    -
  • "There are some things you never knew you wanted in a strategy game. The third-person view does wonders to get you invested in every decision, and it’s great to have a worthwhile story. The gorgeous presentation and versatile combat make Valkyria Chronicles one of the best surprises of the year. It may not have been on your radar before, but you definitely shouldn’t let it pass you by." (Game Informer, 8.5 and 8.75)
  • "It doesn’t have sprites or grid-based combat, but Valkyria Chronicles is pure strategic bliss. Sometimes it looks like a third-person shooter. At other moments, it appears to be about tank combat. You interact with and control your units in unconventional ways, but these mechanics are all just skins overlaying a classic and familiar strategy framework that puts players in the trenches like no other entry in the genre."
    -
  • "Having seen the game in action some time ago, we expected something visually stunning, but we were impressed by the strength of the game's storyline and gameplay. It's easily one of the best looking games we've played this year, but thankfully there's plenty of strategic depth and engrossing gameplay to back it up." (GameSpy, 4.5/5)
  • "While many role-playing games feature paper-thin characters that are barely worth listening to, these scenes are as enjoyable as the gameplay thanks to the charming characters."
    -
  • "Valkyria Chronicles is truly a genre defining, revolutionary new take on the RPG genre. Even viewed as a strategy RPG, it’s excitingly and stunningly fresh, and manages to stand out from the crowd not only by being different but by having an interesting story and beautiful graphics. It might be different, and it might not follow the strict RPG rules to the letter – but give it a try. You might well find the change is long overdue." (RPGSite, 94/100)

header_screenshots1ip2d.jpg

media_sc_lg_25.jpg

media_sc_lg_11.jpg

media_sc_lg_20.jpg

media_sc_lg_26.jpg

In conclusion, if you don't buy this game you have only yourself to blame.

Tailzo

Awesome thread. I loved the demo, and this is among the 3 must buy ps3 titles this year. I am really looking forward to play the full game.

Nice official thread. I've had this ordered through Amazon for awhile and I can't wait. Based on the demo, I feel like this could be Sega's strongest game since the Dreamcast era, and I'm more then happy to support it.

Paznos

Great Official Thread and the GAF impressions are a nice touch I saw my name :D I can't wait to get this game.

Great official thread - I see myself posting in here for months (day 1 to day...it's going to take awhile to beat the game so like let's say...302).

Nicely done official thread. I was going to mention that this a bit early for an official thread but then I remembered Europe is getting this game a bit earlier than North America. Bastards.

Is there anything new for the US version? I played the hell out of the original Japanese release and I would love to buy this game again seeing as how much of a blast it was.

Still the best RPG of this current gen. It just kept getting better as you progressed. The pacing was so amazing I beat the game a lot faster than I usually do for any RPG/SRPG.

Have fun with this game people! One of the best additions to the Strategy genre in a long fucking time.

Durante

jaundicejuice said:
I was going to mention that this a bit early for an official thread but then I remembered Europe is getting this game a bit earlier than North America. Bastards.
It's interesting, this is my second official thread after TWEWY, and that game was also released a few days earlier in Europe than in NA. I swear I'm not picking games based on that! But it is a nice trend :D

Still the best RPG of this current gen. It just kept getting better as you progressed. The pacing was so amazing I beat the game a lot faster than I usually do for any RPG/SRPG.

Have fun with this game people! One of the best additions to the Strategy genre in a long fucking time.
Great to hear. I have to OP this at some point.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Durante said:
It's interesting, this is my second official thread after TWEWY, and that game was also released a few days earlier in Europe than in NA. I swear I'm not picking games based on that! But it is a nice trend :D

Great to hear. I have to OP this at some point.

Oh so I have you to blame for TWEWY too?

Asshole :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The reason why I bought a PS3 back in March. Heck a friend of mine imported the JP limited edition and he doesn't even own the damn console. It's been a long time coming to play the "spiritual successor" to Skies of Arcadia boys and girls.

Surprise hit amongst the gamers? The demo thread can only state "yes".

SEGA is back in town and Valkyria is bearing the standard flag as it runs into the battlefield once more!

Dave1988

I was going to buy it day 1 but then I decided that I will wait with my purchase until the trophy patch. I'm sick and tired of patched trophies not being retroactive -__-

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dave1988 said:
I was going to buy it day 1 but I decided that I wilthold my purchase until the trophy patch. I'm sick and tired of patched trophies not being retroactive -__-

Did they ever even say they would be patching it for trophies?

Durante

Dave1988 said:
I was going to buy it day 1 but I decided that I wilthold my purchase until the trophy patch. I'm sick and tired of patched trophies not being retroactive -__-
I've never seen this confirmed, and I've never heard of any Japanese dev doing a trophy patch.
In short: I wouldn't count on it happening.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Kagari said:
Did they ever even say they would be patching it for trophies?

yeah, on the developer blog

Durante said:
I've never seen this confirmed, and I've never heard of any Japanese dev doing a trophy patch.

well that news feed program got a trophy patch... and Q Games is IN japan at least.

Dave1988

Durante said:
In short: I wouldn't count on it happening.

Supposedly the trophy patch info came from a developer blog.

Durante

Dave1988 said:
Supposedly the trophy patch info came from a developer blog.
Yes, I've heard that a few times as well, but I have not yet seen a link. And even if it is true, was it more of a "stuff we would perhaps like to do" thing or a "this is definitely coming" thing?

eXistor

Wow, nice OP! I'm getting the game day 1, but unfortunatley with all the other releases it'll have to wait to be played a bit. I'll be able to fit it in in the not too distant future hopefully.

Raistlin

Anyone offering any goodies for a pre-order?

I was hooked after playing the demo. The level of strategy involving characters' likes/dislikes, phobias, allergies, etc rules. The little touches where if you put two characters who like each other together, there is a much higher chance the non-controlled character will automatically offer supression-fire, etc ... its just nuts to be playing that in 3rd person.

Volcynika

Onix said:
Anyone offering any goodies for a pre-order?

I was hooked after playing the demo. The level of strategy involving characters' likes/dislikes, phobias, allergies, etc rules. The little touches where if you put two characters who like each other together, there is a much higher chance the non-controlled character will automatically offer supression-fire, etc ... its just nuts to be playing that in 3rd person.

GameStop has an art booklet they're offering for pre-orders. Looks nice from the outside at least!

Also, great job Durante, looks nice!

Here is the pre-order bonus:

270199_bonusLG.jpg

Hcoregamer said stores may be getting them in a week before release, or you can wait till the game comes out, I think. If you don't get it, prepare to bitch until you do!

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Just to be clear, is the artbook ONLY available from Gamestop or will other retailers have it (ie Amazon) ? The wording on Gamestop's site is confusing.

Ryuartyi

Banned
Nice job with the OP Durante! I'm really looking forward to the 11th, especially since the demo was so addicting. Too bad I'm working on NaNoWriMo, I won't be able to play it until December.

I really hope my art book comes soon.

Volcynika

Takeda Kenshi said:
Just to be clear, is the artbook ONLY available from Gamestop or will other retailers have it (ie Amazon) ? The wording on Gamestop's site is confusing.

I'm not really sure. I checked Amazon, and the only thing they're offering now is $10 off a future video game purchase if you pre-order it there.

Volcynika

speedpop said:
The reason why I bought a PS3 back in March. Heck a friend of mine imported the JP limited edition and he doesn't even own the damn console. It's been a long time coming to play the "spiritual successor" to Skies of Arcadia boys and girls.

Surprise hit amongst the gamers? The demo thread can only state "yes".

SEGA is back in town and Valkyria is bearing the standard flag as it runs into the battlefield once more!

Just wanted to point how I also bought a PS3 with this game being one of the main reasons. :D

tehbear

I mistakenly preordered from my local Gamecrazy who is apparently more incompetent than most. I haven't even gotten my DeadSpace and Infinite Undiscovery preorder bonuses cause "they haven't received it." I asked about the artbook and they just gave me blank stares. -_-

Teknoman

Volcynika said:
GameStop has an art booklet they're offering for pre-orders. Looks nice from the outside at least!

Also, great job Durante, looks nice!

Here is the pre-order bonus:

270199_bonusLG.jpg

Hcoregamer said stores may be getting them in a week before release, or you can wait till the game comes out, I think. If you don't get it, prepare to bitch until you do!

If thats a hard back book, wow.

Kyoufu said:
Errr what?

Well
Vyse and crew are in game
and I think its mostly by the same team.

TehOh

Valkyria Chronicles is freaking amazing. Just watching it in motion will impress you. It's seriously the best game that Sega has put out since Skies of Arcadia (coincidentally, the two share some of the same developers).

I wrote some impressions up at PAX, click here to read them.

Pein

Banned
the week this comes out is gonna be really expensive for me but this title is day one regardless

I loved the the demo and the style of this game is just magnificent

jmonteiro

Just received my PlayStation The Official Magazine (US) and it has an awesome review of Valkyria. They gave it 4.5/5 too :D

Now onto read why MotorStorm PR got a 3/5...

Rainy Dog

Great work Durante. Still can't believe Sega are putting this out when they are, but the demo swept aside any silly ideas I had about postponing a purchase until next year. Gorgeous art and a thoroughly refreshing looking RPG from Japan for once.

jsrv

I probably won't be able to get this on it's release day (I'd miss out on the artbook too, and I really like the concept artist for this game), but I hope it ends up doing well.

looks like a thread title was finally decided on. still at work, watching the clock tick so that I can race home and download the US demo

Top Bottom