• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great DOS games

I just discovered DOSBox and I'm in the mood to play some classic DOS games that I haven't played in many years or haven't played at all.

I'm open to all suggestions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the first thing that came to mind is Monkey Island.

...sorry I can't be of more help.

Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion.

D30224s.gif

nubbe

Loom, Day of the tentacle, Fate of atlantis, The Dig, Wing Commander 1-6, Xwing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Dark Forces I-II, Ultima games, Privateer 1-2, System Shock, Theme Park, Doom, Quake, Free Space, Sherlock Holmes, Risse of the Traid, Command and Conqure games, Cannon Fodder 1-2, Dungeon Keeper, Populus, Alone in the Dark, Falcon 4.0, Dagger Fall, Hardware, Frontier, Full Throttle. Baulders Gate 1-2, Grim Fandango, Capitalisim, Settlers games, Blade Runner, Unreal, Gabriel Knights, Police Quest... and stuff

Scorched Earth and Commander Keen are all that come to mind. I remember wasting so much time on Scorched Earth back when I was in Jr. High. It's such a great time waster.

Grimmy

Banned
In my recent best WRPG list:

Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Betrayal at Krondor
Eye of the Beholder II
Ultima Underworld

My adventure games list:

The Colonel's Bequest
The Conquest of the Longbow
Gold Rush!
King's Quest VI
Quest for Glory series

Animal

Banned
Zhuk said:
I got this for my 9th birthday present, and I played it for years after, even experiencing it on LAN. A true classic!

I hear ya brother. My childhood is full of good memories of playing Terminal Velocity with friends over LAN.

Ridli

X-Com! (Also known as UFO: Enemy Unknown)

xcom_ufo_02.jpg

ufo1.gif

ufo4.gif

Even after playing the sequels I still come back to this fine example of turn based strategy. The melding of base-building and resource management game with a fine strategy game is great by itself - but the setting of a futuristic world* fighting off alien invaders makes this a DOS-era classic. It's also easily available on Steam (with the dosbox tweaks made for you) for about 5 dollars.

*Futuristic world actually set 10 years in the past.

Zhuk

Banned
camineet said:
This was THE game that got me into PC gaming in the early-mid 1990s:

Strike Commander[/QUOTE]

Another classic game that blew me away when I first played it, made by the same guys who did Wing Commander and Privateer. Great graphics, great gameplay and some 'adult' themes thrown into the storyline to boot:lol

camineet

Banned
Zhuk said:
Another classic game that blew me away when I first played it, made by the same guys who did Wing Commander and Privateer. Great graphics, great gameplay and some 'adult' themes thrown into the storyline to boot:lol

Strike Commander basicly demanded you have 486 to play it smoothly even though a 386 was the min requirement IIRC. I didn't own a PC back in 1993-1994 but my best friend had a 486 DX 66 MHz, and I bought him this game for his birthday, he really liked it :D

I never played Privateer but now I think im gonna try to get into it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Animal said:
Boy, the world really needs another Descent resurgence. I know I am ready.

As for the suggestions, frankly, the DOS era was truly golden. I mean, I had a ball with my friend's consoles at the time, but there wasn't a single week without a heavy hitter coming to the PC. It was surreal.

Here are some ideas. The bolded ones shouldn't be missed under any circumstances:

And those just from the top of my head.

CiSTM

Banned
Funky Papa said:

As for the suggestions, frankly, the DOS era was truly golden. I mean, I had a ball with my friend's consoles at the time, but there wasn't a single week without a heavy hitter coming to the PC. It was surreal.

Here are some ideas. The bolded ones shouldn't be missed under any circumstances:

Listen to this man ! That list is full of awesomenss. I will add orginal Warcraft, Crusader No Remorse, Master of Orion II and Star Control II to that list.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
CiSTM said:
Listen to this man ! That list is full of awesomenss. I will add orginal Warcraft, Crusader No Remorse, Master of Orion II and Star Control II to that list.
I can't believe I forgot those (well, actually I ninja-edited Crusader into the post after hitting the submit button).

CiSTM

Banned
Funky Papa said:
I can't believe I forgot those (well, actually I ninja-edited Crusader into the post after hitting the submit button).

There is so many great dos games out there that you will always miss something :lol

Funky Papa said:

Add these:

Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender
Cruise for a Corpse
Quest for Glory seires
Police Quest Series
Larry series
countdown
mean streets

Gattsu25

Banned
Crystal Caves
Download (Demo)
3DRealms.com said:
Enter an underground world of treasures and traps. This colorful EGA game (VGA compatible) rivals any commercial game with its arcade quality, puzzles and graphics. As Mylo Steamwitz, you'll enter cave after cave of adventure, gathering the treasures of each, while evading hazards galore! This game features the smoothest animated graphics ever seen in an Apogee game.
et6u5x.gif

a24ox5.gif

*Character is upside down in second pic.

I loved this game, as a kid.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
another fuckin' world (AKA out of this world), or for that matter anything from delphine software (flashback, etc).

little big adventure, and anything from adeline software

anything from bitmap brothers (lots of amiga/atari st makeovers)
anything from lucas arts (star wars fighter series, quests, etc)

anything from westwood (mainly quests, but also the landmark dune2)

alone in the dark, the original, and the only truly good one. infogrames.

retaliator (a fighter sim), or anything from ocean (really diverse catalogue) for that matter.

stellar 7, and many other from dynamix.

LHX, when EA actually used to make good games.

TFX - the fighter sim that made me say 'wow' for the first time, developed by DID, published by ocean.

privateer - elite's genome on the pc.

CiSTM

Banned
Some must play FPS games.

Hexen
ei3wbl.gif

System Shock
u3ne9.gif

Shadow Warrior
fod6xi.gif

Dark Forces
2j1ki9i.gif

More blizzard love

Black Thorne
2wqcymu.gif

I really loved black thorne when I was kid so awesome game.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Dark Forces was, and still is, the only Star Wars action game that matters.

alone in the dark, the original, and the only truly good one. infogrames.
The first two sequels were pretty good. After that, tough...

Stumpokapow said:
Note that virtually all the games suggested in this thread are still available for sale somewhere.
And some of them are actually offered as freeware (I <3 Revolution Software).

Hell yeah, the PC was the REAL king of 16 bit platformers! Check out Commander Keen 4-6 and Duke Nukem 1 and 2, for starters.

Top Bottom