• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great DOS games

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
nincompoop said:
Hell yeah, the PC was the REAL king of 16 bit platformers! Check out Commander Keen 4-6 and Duke Nukem 1 and 2, for starters.

err nope, and those games aren't as good as you remember them, just Nostalgia.
Still great games, but not anywhere as good as console 16-bit platformers.

Teasel

Prime crotch said:
2hpma1k.png

So long Titus, you were loved.
you're a good fella

FoxSpirit

Danne-Danger said:

Okay, YOU might be able to help me. There was this great shooter on DOS, usual fare, but you could buy stuff to upgrade your ship. And I remember the homing laser to be kinda broken but frikkin cool! Help me, Danne-Danger, you are.... *bzzzzt*

manueldelalas said:
err nope, and those games aren't as good as you remember them, just Nostalgia.
Still great games, but not anywhere as good as console 16-bit platformers.
That's pretty silly to pull the nostalgia card when we're comparing games from the same time period, isn't it? I played the Mario/Sonic/DKC games as well as the Commander Keen games growing up, and I generally found Keen to be superior. Sure it didn't have the same production values or animation quality of the console games, but the wide-open level design presented unique gameplay possibilities that the aforementioned console games couldn't match.

zaxor0

Stumpokapow said:
Note that virtually all the games suggested in this thread are still available for sale somewhere.

Does this include the star wars games? I'd like to find tie fighter and dark forces.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
FoxSpirit said:
Okay, YOU might be able to help me. There was this great shooter on DOS, usual fare, but you could buy stuff to upgrade your ship. And I remember the homing laser to be kinda broken but frikkin cool! Help me, Danne-Danger, you are.... *bzzzzt*
Raptor?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pYa2g9_5Ss4

Cygnus is still active (?) as a one man operation. Some time ago I made a thread about DemonStar, a badass sequel of sorts with pre-rendered graphics.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Microsoft Space Simulator.

I had so much fun launching the space shuttle, only to go horizontal and burn over north america 10 feet from the ground.

Rick Dangerous!

rick_dangerous_south_america.png

I'm also trying to think of a title of an 80s PC game. It was a stealth game, where you had to enter enemy territory and place explosives. It had one of those not top down, not sideways perspectives. I seem to recall the title consisted of several words, something like '... raider'.

larvi

Adventure

Discworld
Eric the Unready
Freddy Pharkas
Kingdom O' Magic
Rex Nebular
Spellcasting series
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Superhero League of Hoboken
Toonstruck

RPG

Albion
Anvil of Dawn
Darklands
Darkspyre
Dragon Wars
Escape from Hell
Omega (or any of the many great roguelikes)
Realms of Arkania series

Strategy

Railroad Tycoon
Conquered Kingdoms
Warlords series
5 Star general series (Star General, Fantasy General,etc)
Sea Rogue
Lords of Magic
Merchant Prince

Other

Stunt Island
Rockstar (by Wizard Games)
Front Page Sport Football Pro
Quarantine

carmageddon + splatpak

everyone loves doomclones (wolf3d clones included);
blake stone aliens of gold, blake stone planet strike, blood, chex quest / chex quest 2, corridor 7, cyclones, cybermage darklight awakening, dark forces, descent/descent2, duke nukem 3d, eradicator, heretic, hexen, in pursuit of greed, ken's labyrinth, necrodome, neohunter, operation bodycount, powerslave, quake, quarantine / road warrior, redneck rampage, rise of the triad, shadow warrior, strife, system shock, terminator future shock / skynet, terror of the catacombs, william shatner's tekwar, witchaven / witchaven 2

Templar Wizard said:
Everything by Origin, especially BioForge
nailed it

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
lowrider007 said:
Beneath a steel sky, it's free now isn't it ?

yes, if you don't want to configure any extra software GOG.com (just make an account) has the game in a custom installer with SCUMMVM already set to run the game. Just install and play.

Shaneus

200px-Thexder_-Game_Arts-_front.jpg

...and it's sequel. And it's a Sierra game lolwtf

And, Jones in the Fast Lane. Not necessarily for the game, but the theme music is fucking AWESOME. Unfortunately, could only find the MT-32 emulated music on YT, not the GS/Adlib one which sounded MUCH better, even without the wavetable and multiple instruments.

Grimmy

Banned
Shaneus said:
200px-Thexder_-Game_Arts-_front.jpg

...and it's sequel. And it's a Sierra game lolwtf

And, Jones in the Fast Lane. Not necessarily for the game, but the theme music is fucking AWESOME. Unfortunately, could only find the MT-32 emulated music on YT, not the GS/Adlib one which sounded MUCH better, even without the wavetable and multiple instruments.

You're right about those 2 games - fantastic music. But if you're gonna mention THEXDER, why not ZELIARD???

FoxHimself said:
Jones in the Fast Lane!

Also, it's playable from your browser RIGHT HERE!

OMG this is great! Such memories...and such great music.
To this day, sometimes I STILL hum that Monolith Burger theme song hahaha.

Aces of the Deep :D
comman4.jpg

My first real sub sim. Such a blast, especially sparring with the AI underneath the water.

And who could forget...
dk.jpg

nubbe said:
Loom, Day of the tentacle, Fate of atlantis, The Dig, Wing Commander 1-6, Xwing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Dark Forces I-II, Ultima games, Privateer 1-2, System Shock, Theme Park, Doom, Quake, Free Space, Sherlock Holmes, Risse of the Traid, Command and Conqure games, Cannon Fodder 1-2, Dungeon Keeper, Populus, Alone in the Dark, Falcon 4.0, Dagger Fall, Hardware, Frontier, Full Throttle. Baulders Gate 1-2, Grim Fandango, Capitalisim, Settlers games, Blade Runner, Unreal, Gabriel Knights, Police Quest... and stuff

You don't know what you're talking about. Those were all Windows games.

Minsc

Gold Member
1 - Cover.jpg

4 - Screen1.jpg

4 - Screen2.jpg

4 - Screen4.jpg

Though DOS isn't really the way to go, you can play it that way. Ported to your native OS is much better, you can download it with all the voice paks and high quality music/remixes here.

Did I mention it's completely free? You have no excuse for not enjoying this awesome game!

Harteex

Here are a few random DOS games I like.

Death Rally
272992-dr5_super.jpg

Extreme Pinball
413344-extreme_pinball_super.png

Settlers II Gold Edition
440768-settlers2_gold_edition_super.png

Abuse
abuse_screen003.jpg

Carmageddon
carmageddon1.jpg

Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk
dizzy.jpg

Jazz Jackrabbit
209980-jazz_jackrabbit_gameplay_screenshot_super.png

Omni-Play Basketball (also on Amiga and C64). Their horse racing game was also strangely fun.

Nethack and many other roguelikes. Neverwinter Nights on AOL. Dungeon Master. Wizardry and Might and Magic games. Hardball series. Joe Montana Football.

Top Bottom