• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great DOS games

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
29av0wj.jpg

2d6ws3q.jpg

Bo130

Oh my God, this thread is awesome. I've seen some games in here I wasn't able to get the name of a few years ago, AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!! :D Made me make a list of my own as well. These are a bunch of the games I loved, not sure if all of them are DOS games, though.

Battle Chess 4000
Brix
Carmageddon
Command & Conquer
Commander Keen
Crystal Caves
Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion
Dungeon Keeper
Jazz Jackrabbit
Jetpack
Jill of the Jungle
Lemmings
Monster Bash
Raptor
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Sokoban
Terminal Velocity
The Even More Incredible Machine
Wacky Wheels
WURM
ZooL

Ethereal

Bo130 said:
Oh my God, this thread is awesome. I've seen some games in here I wasn't able to get the name of a few years ago, AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!! :D Made me make a list of my own as well. These are a bunch of the games I loved, not sure if all of them are DOS games, though.

Battle Chess 4000
Brix
Carmageddon
Command & Conquer
Commander Keen
Crystal Caves
Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion
Dungeon Keeper
Jazz Jackrabbit
Jetpack
Jill of the Jungle
Lemmings
Monster Bash
Raptor
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Sokoban
Terminal Velocity
The Even More Incredible Machine
Wacky Wheels
WURM
ZooL

About all I can think of thats not on this list would be:

Tyrian
Catacomb Abyss
Rise of the Triad
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
All the old Lucasarts SCUM games

My friend maintains a computer with hardware to run DOS games in a native state so that he doesn't have to emulate or worry about stuff running too fast

desverger

What, no mention of Space Hulk yet? One of the best DOS games ever. Atmosphere is through the roof with that one :p

I want DARKNESS and FEAR and EVERY MAN DOWN IS LIKE A PUNCH TO THE STOMACH. I want Space Hulk.

...you're being besieged from three directions or a Stealer’s coming out of the goddamned walls. Death is miserable, but it’s clear you weren’t ever here to party anyway.

Grimness, pitilessness and brutality. Space Hulk is Warhammer 40,000 all over

nubbe said:
Loom, Day of the tentacle, Fate of atlantis, The Dig, Wing Commander 1-6, Xwing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Dark Forces I-II, Ultima games, Privateer 1-2, System Shock, Theme Park, Doom, Quake, Free Space, Sherlock Holmes, Risse of the Traid, Command and Conqure games, Cannon Fodder 1-2, Dungeon Keeper, Populus, Alone in the Dark, Falcon 4.0, Dagger Fall, Hardware, Frontier, Full Throttle. Baulders Gate 1-2, Grim Fandango, Capitalisim, Settlers games, Blade Runner, Unreal, Gabriel Knights, Police Quest... and stuff
A lot of those games are playable in Windows (and there never was a dos version of Grim Fandango AFAIK) and arguably are much better in their native Windows editions or using ScummVM.

I guess some people say Tie Fighter is better with the original DOS version because it uses a dynamic soundtrack, but you'd probably need an MT-32 or MT-32 emulator to make it sound decent, and the graphics would still be worse compared to the Windows Collectors' edition that was released and had some 3d acceleration in it.

Davidion

Lots of good memories here.

Did anyone here ever play Operation: Inner Space? It was developed by an offshoot of the team that did the After Dark Screensavers.

You play the game in an Asteroid-style environment; the schtick is, you're actually trying to destroy viruses in your own computer, navigating the actual file directories in your computer as rounds and maps and cleaning out your own icons. It was awesome.

You would literally fly into your computer.
inspace1.jpg

inspace3.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, so, it's pretty hard to find a lot of these games for purchase. Companies have not made it easy. I know plenty of people reading this thread would probably rather do the sketchy abandonware thing than purchase the games, but in case anyone here actually wants to buy the old stuff, let's make it easy:

3d Realms http://www.buy3drealms.com/dowit.html
Blake Stone
Commander Keen
Cosmo
Crystal Caves
Duke Nukem I
Duke Nukem II
Hocus Pocus
Math Rescue $15
Monster Bash
Mystic Towers
Paganitzu
Planet Strike
Raptor $15
Realms of Chaos
Rise of the Triad $15
Secret Agent
Terminal Velocity $15
Wacky Wheels
Wolfenstein 3d $15
Word Rescue $15
$10 each unless otherwise noted

Good Old Games
Beneath a Steel Sky - FREE
Broken Sword 2 - $5.99
Descent + Descent 2 - $5.99
Jagged Alliance - $9.99
Jagged Alliance Deadly Games - $9.99
Shattered Steel - $5.99
Simon the Sorcerer - $5.99
Simon the Sorcerer 2 - $5.99
Unreal (Gold) - $9.99

Steam
Commander Keen - $4.99
Doom Series - varies, $39.99 for full set
Grand Theft Auto Pack - GTA1 and 2 are free, but Steam only sells in pack with GTA3 series for $29.99
Heretic and Hexen - Full set, $9.99
Quake Collection - Full set, $29.99
Unreal Gold - $9.99
Wolfenstein 3d - $4.99
X-Com Complete Pack - $14.99

iD software super pack - $69.99

Individual Games, not free
Hugo series - $10
Another World - $8.99

RELEASED FOR FREE BY OWNER
Star Control 2 - Sort of. There is a game called "The Ur-Quan Masters" which is a shockingly good adaptation of Star Control 2. It was developed based on the open-source 3DO version of the game, released by the creators. Download here

Betrayal At Krondor - Released by Sierra. Download here *** This is subject to some scrutiny. It was released for free, but with the quid pro quo that the game not be redistributed by third parties. The original source is no longer available. Your call--download here or buy a used copy on eBay.

Alien Carnage / Hallowe'en Harry - Released by the creator and 3d Realms. Download here

Bio Menace - Released by Apogee/3d Realms. Download here

Boppin' - Released by Accursed Toys. Download here

Commander and Conquer - Released by EA. Download here

Command and Conquer: Red Alert - Released by EA. Download here.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - released by SSI. Download here

One Must Fall - released by Epic. Download here

SkyRoads - Released by Blue Moon Software. Download here

The Elder Scrolls: Arena - Released by Bethesda. Download here

Xargon - Released for free by dev. Download here

Where the hell do you get them?
LucasArts games
EA/Bullfrog games (Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Syndicate series)
Software Toolworks games (Life & Death 1 / 2)

Cmagus

man this brings back memories I still remember the day I bought doom and at the time my pc wasn't big enough to play it lol

Stumpokapow said:
Okay, so, it's pretty hard to find a lot of these games for purchase. Companies have not made it easy. I know plenty of people reading this thread would probably rather do the sketchy abandonware thing than purchase the games, but in case anyone here actually wants to buy the old stuff, let's make it easy:
Great post. Here's another game, although nowhere near the quality or actually any good, it's still err a fun/funny Wolfenstein 3D engine based game;

Corridor 7 Alien Invasion

http://corridor7.tripod.com/download.htm

(the Corridor 8 Galactic Wars Prototype in the build engine with placeholder doom/duke graphics and sounds are also on there, also Operation Body Count)

Timber said:
What? They're actually selling Keen games? :lol
What?

Oni Jazar

Sysshock.jpg

Accept no substitutes (that includes SS2 & Bioshock). Oh and the CD version is a must above the floppy version. CD has voice mail.

Timber said:
edit: oh I got it. It's a total pack... I misread it as in they're selling every episode for 5 bucks. nevermind :)
Actually, 3DR are selling the games for 1-3 for $10 and 4-5 for $10. Or the full 1-5 CD for $20 :)

Oni Jazar said:
Sysshock.jpg

Accept no substitutes (that includes SS2 & Bioshock). Oh and the CD version is a must above the floppy version. CD has voice mail.
Download link for this AMAZING game aswell, http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,211.0.html

Stick that on your usb plugger and smoke it. Good times.

edit: Hehe, I'll requote this part

Oni Jazar said:
Accept no substitutes (that includes SS2 & Bioshock).
Agreed!

desverger said:
Now you know where my forum nick comes from :p
Oh man, good times. Death to the lemmings!
(y)

Did you ever play the unreleased Hired Guns 2 thing? It was leaked by one of the team members somewhat recently. http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1122&view=next

Easy_D

never left the stone age
hexen4.png

So awesome, though I think I like the N64 port a little better.

And why are some of you listing Unreal as a DOS game? Is there something I'm missing? Because last time I checked it was a Windows game.

Timber

Joseph Merrick said:
Actually, 3DR are selling the games for 1-3 for $10 and 4-5 for $10. Or the full 1-5 CD for $20 :)
Damn, I love Keen but that's way too much. Kinda weird that Keen Dreams and Keen 6 aren't included in any of those.

Timber said:
Damn, I love Keen but that's way too much. Kinda weird that Keen Dreams and Keen 6 aren't included in any of those.
keen dreams is softdisk at least. the wiki said formgen sold 6 to apogee again. but maybe somehow infogrames still have the rights to it, through gt? no idea

and yeah, that is way too much. but it's been that price for.. forever. I don't think they change their pricing on there ever.

Jefklak said:

Also, if no one else has mentioned them, there are always the old gold box AD&D games from SSI. I think they stand the test of time pretty well, I've been playing through the Dragonlance ones recently myself.

Harteex

Davidion said:
Lots of good memories here.

Did anyone here ever play Operation: Inner Space? It was developed by an offshoot of the team that did the After Dark Screensavers.

You play the game in an Asteroid-style environment; the schtick is, you're actually trying to destroy viruses in your own computer, navigating the actual file directories in your computer as rounds and maps and cleaning out your own icons. It was awesome.

You would literally fly into your computer.
http://www2.worldvillage.com/wv/gamezone/images/scrnshot/inspace1.jpg

http://www2.worldvillage.com/wv/gamezone/images/scrnshot/inspace3.jpg

YES :D
It was great. But was it even possible to win? I guess I had way too many files and folders :lol

This seems to be a really underappreciated game, mostly probably because it was released in 1996 and made in such a dated engine as the doom one, and actually I just discovered it a couple of years ago myself. This despite knowing about Rogue all along from American McGee's Alice and the mission packs for id. For shame. Simply incredible game.

strife.jpg

This S3Jason guy on youtube has got a really nice talk video for it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-tapXSpqE

pCeSlAyEr

Kings Quest 1 - 7
Jagged Alliance
Warcraft 2
Wolfenstein 3D
Summer Games
World Games
Mechwarrior 2
C&C Red Alert
Shadow Warrior
Alone in the Dark
GTA
Wipeout
Raptor
Sam and Max hit the road
Quest for Glory Series
Space Quest Series
Battle Isle 2
Death Rally
Descent
Z

Lionheart

Oh, has anyone here ever played Supaplex? Excellent puzzle / strategy game. :) Many impossibly hard levels, at least to me as a kid.

jl6ipz.jpg

205vbt5.jpg

a3z69y.jpg

j5ukxs.jpg

11ak2aa.jpg

Vorador

Banned
I just shed a manly tear. Those were the times, were i had to create a boot disk and tinker around with the autoexec.bat and config.sys to free enough memory to play certain titles.

Awesome times.

Top Bottom