• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player One Podcast 117 - Jan 18/09 - Greg's Stewart & Ford

voltron

This week Gregs Ford and Sewart join CJ and Phil to talk about games! In this action-packed episode you'll hear us talk about Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Street Fighter IV, Grand Theft Auto IV, Fable II, Half-Life 2, F1 2001, Rock Band 2, Burnout Paradise, Loco Roco 2 (demo), Pirate Booty (bootleg NES cart), Prince of Persia and Fusion Fall, among others.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/playerone/01_19_09-Episode117.mp3

SuperPac

CO_Andy said:
Is STEWY back to being a regular?

Well... "schedule permitting." As he's about to have another child in a couple weeks he'll probably be in and out. I'd say he'll be a regular guest.

Stairs

Banned
I'm a fan of Greg Ford. I enjoyed his perspective back on the old EGM Live days, and his two prior P1P appearances have been great.

eshwaaz

Greg Sewart is back as a regular guest? Outstanding! CJ and Phil still do a great job, but Greg's departure did hurt the dynamic.

mik

mik is unbeatable
SuperPac said:
As he's about to have another child in a couple weeks he'll probably be in and out.
Isn't that how his wife got knocked up in the first place?

Hi-yooooooooooooooooooo!

jax (old)

Banned
ha. I did a search for a P1 podcast like I normally do and nothing showed up before I made my thread. I got home, fell asleep as I did spin class this arvo but just got up and am currently listening to this

stewy

Johnkers said:
If there's anything good about the 1UP collapse it is the proliferation of Greg Ford across all these podcasts :D

I totally agree. It's nice to see Ford getting the love he deserves.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
If there's one complaint I have about Player One it's that they don't play or discuss PC games. The TF2 discussion made me :(

YYZ

Ysiadmihi said:
If there's one complaint I have about Player One it's that they don't play or discuss PC games. The TF2 discussion made me :(
As one of the more active TF2 players here, I'm expecting the worst in this podcast.

stewy

Ysiadmihi said:

Well to be fair, we were talking about TF2 on the 360.

I don't think any of us are qualified to do any sort of major PC game discussion, outside of old-school Sierra/LucasArts games and maybe the latest stuff from Telltale.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
stewy said:
I don't think any of us are qualified to do any sort of major PC game discussion, outside of old-school Sierra/LucasArts games and maybe the latest stuff from Telltale.

stewy said:
I think a major game discussion of old-school LucasArts games [would be good].

Yes, I think that is a good idea, Stewy.

I loved the "Dolemite" intro you slack-jawed, rat-soup-eatin', motherf@#$ers...

dolemite-0309.jpg

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
great episode. Dolemite should be a reoccurring segment. I also enjoy when you talk about older games like Pacman CE. It gets tiresome how every podcast seems to cycle through all the newest releases all the time.

Haeleos

probune said:
Here's the Anticipation image that they discussed on the show. And yes, we're all terribly ugly.

IMG

Why is Chief from BSG in the bottom left corner?

I find it mildly disturbing that half the people on that box art don't have a neck.

probune

Haeleos said:

Do I really look that much like Tyrol? Some guy at comic-con told me the same thing.

Proc said:
^who's who?

From top, left to right: CJ, Mrplaid, Sewart, Wenny, Kirbutashi, probune, Mik, JDUB X.

stewy

Haeleos said:

I find it mildly disturbing that half the people on that box art don't have a neck.

I have a neck. I just choose to hide it under layers of fat.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I just like how Greg decided to bust out the Nintendogs shirt for the photo.

Unless he just happens to have the Nintendogs shirt in his regular rotation.

Barrett2

probune said:
Here's the Anticipation image that they discussed on the show. And yes, we're all terribly ugly.

4765philsmall.jpg

You've got the cover for your Player One Boys of Summer 09 calendar, right there.

SuperPac

Whimsical Phil said:
I just like how Greg decided to bust out the Nintendogs shirt for the photo.

Unless he just happens to have the Nintendogs shirt in his regular rotation.

That was impressive, definitely. Maybe he just has a stack of unworn game tees that he can rotate in. Somewhere I have a Sonic & Knuckles t-shirt from back in the day that has the logo on it. Never worn it. And I have 1-2 Nintendo DS shirts from the system's first E3.

BTW, new show website is now open. Unlike the Libsyn page our site previously pointed to this will have show postings *and* other blog posts.

Johnkers

SuperPac said:
That was impressive, definitely. Maybe he just has a stack of unworn game tees that he can rotate in. Somewhere I have a Sonic & Knuckles t-shirt from back in the day that has the logo on it. Never worn it. And I have 1-2 Nintendo DS shirts from the system's first E3.

BTW, new show website is now open. Unlike the Libsyn page our site previously pointed to this will have show postings *and* other blog posts.

Purdy. Added to my rss

mik

mik is unbeatable
Looking forward to reading the blog. I always wondered why you guys--former video game writer doods--weren't actually, you know, writing about games, too.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
People are talkin' smack on GFord in another podcast thread, but I liked him on this ep of Player One.

CJ, I want that Sonic and Knuckles shirt!

Even though I disagree with almost everything Greg Ford says (GTA4 and Burnout Paradise praise, damn you!), I still like him. Glad he's on a bunch of shows lately.

jax (old)

Banned
johtv said:
@superpac awesome podcast this week. one of these days i wanna join the party! (been saying that since episode 1, i know, but...i mean it!) 5:11 AM Jan 12th from web in reply to superpac

just read that on john's twitter... you know what, you guys need to get him on pronto. One of my EGM youth favourites and not featured enough in any podcast..etc etc.

LevityNYC said:
Brilliant...wow those are some ugly people though
:lol
Yeah, they have faces perfect for radio. Nothing wrong with that, though!

Anyway, I usually just check the P1Ps featuring old school EGM stories/guests, but I figured I'd listen in this week after a really good edisode last week, and I'm glad I did. You guys are funny, amicable nerds. I think I'll try to catch your show more regularly from now on.

I'm loving the number of quality podcasts available these days, even if I'm only able to catch them occasionally (they're all so damn long).

Years ago, I wrote to EGM explaining why I thought their personalities were one of their biggest assets that were being underutilized. As the magazine shrunk, less space was available for profiles, op-eds, and other miscellaneous pieces that would help the reader connect with the magazine through its staff. With video shows, podcasts, and blogs, the connection between the readers and the writers is being re-established, and it's a great thing! A well-written article is still well-written if you aren't familiar with the author's past articles and personal preferences, but if you are familiar with their past articles and personal opinions, it's even more enjoyable (see: Roger Ebert).

Top Bottom