• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of handhelds

diss

Banned
more scratch proof screens please
also specifically on the ds, i want the bottom screen flush to the body of the system so i can wipe it down with a cloth without just pushing the dust inbetween the touch screen and the bezel around it

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wheeliedude said:
What kind of technology do you see handheld gaming devices employing in the next generation of gaming?

Multipoint touch screens, motion detection, cameras, both celular internet capability (this will of course mean phone option) and wifi. Bluetooth capability as well.

camineet

Banned
nintendo_ds_2.jpg

Nintendo DS2
super low power consumption chipset based on GameCube
multi-touch screens
built-in tilt
$149

pspconcept_1.jpg

Sony PSP2
Micro CELL with 1 SPE
PowerVR SGX GPU
multi-touch screen
solid state game media
$199

xboxportablenews.gif

Microsoft Xboy
best features of DS2 and PSP2
$199

John Dunbar

correct about everything
camineet said:
http://www.freewebs.com/rocky224499/nintendo_ds_2.jpg

Nintendo DS2
multi-touch screens
built-in tilt
$149

http://media.techeblog.com/images/pspconcept_1.jpg
Sony PSP2
Micro CELL with 1 SPE
PowerVR SGX GPU
multi-touch screen
solid state game media
$199

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/articles/xboxportablenews.gif
Microsoft Xboy
$199

i would not want to play games on any of those things.

Grayman

tilt controls will certainly be used because of the console controllers and iphone but I think that the systems will keep directional buttons and face buttons. I could see Sony ditching one of the inputs(the nub or dpad) and going with pressure sensitive buttons(for GT mobile at launch:lol )

M3d10n

YourMaster said:
I remember somebody designed a great handheld. He posted some real size pictures of it.
Paging "Innovation Man".

Anyway, I don't give a rat ass about what kind of GPU/CPU/RAM they use, but they better DD-enabled from the get go. Better yet if they are 3G-enabled so they can get online anywhere (built-in 3G modem, not necessarily a cellphone).

And Nintendo, please use anti-dust and anti-scratch coating on your next touch screens.

xfactor

Banned
i am sure the screen will be bigger for internet surfing. its really time we get a real and proper gadget for wireless internet surfing ability on-the-go.

M3d10n said:
Paging "Innovation Man".

Anyway, I don't give a rat ass about what kind of GPU/CPU/RAM they use, but they better DD-enabled from the get go. Better yet if they are 3G-enabled so they can get online anywhere (built-in 3G modem, not necessarily a cellphone).

And Nintendo, please use anti-dust and anti-scratch coating on your next touch screens.

What? Disk Drive enabled? Dolby Digital? Dumpling Diving?

Kuramu

Something I could DL my VC games onto and play anywhere without lines of pixels missing to make it fit on screen

Me from another thread

Kind of off topic, but for the next generation of handhelds I really hope that Sony sticks with the console-like approach they are taking, and Nintendo sticks with the less power, more old school style.

I'm sure Nintendo won't change (seeing the DS is selling like hotcakes) but I'm worried about Sony.

EDIT: I also hope to God Microsoft doesn't try to enter, because they can't even make a working home console, imagine them trying to make a handheld? Eshhh

I want a sort of Guide-like interface always on that handles communications with other local portables, and possibly internet connectivity when available. You can pause games and see what other multiplayer games people are playing in your area or online, it can automatically handle trading items like in Animal Crossing: Wild World without requiring you to have the game in and set to a specific mode, it could even alert you if someone in the area is playing a game you specifically want to play. Limited chat and messenger functionality for both wireless and online as a part of the guide would be good too.

Of course there would be overriding parental controls for the safety of kids, and a switch that goes between no wireless, multiplayer wireless only, and multiplayer + tag wireless if battery or airplane travel is a concern at the moment.

mollipen

John Dunbar said:
i would not want to play games on any of those things.

The PSP2 in the first post is a very interesting idea, and I think if anything is close to what the hardware will be like, that's it. That kind of design is used all of the time for cellphones, and really, it only makes sense for a new PSP. Sony is absolutely going to make something with a touch screen, and they'll want it to have the PDA / iPhone type profile when not playing games so that they can push it for other uses. Current PSP can't be that thing, but if they do that and then hide the controls below the screen, it would work.

Balb

I can't speak for Sony since they didn't exactly get it right with the PSP, but I hope Nintendo makes sure that their next handheld has battery life similar to the DS Lite. To me, battery life is one of the most important things to consider when judging a handheld system.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Galactic Fork said:
Multipoint touch screens, motion detection, cameras, both celular internet capability (this will of course mean phone option) and wifi. Bluetooth capability as well.

This and I expect more PMP features and possibly a more robust online network for downloading games, music, videos, wallpapers, etc and a rudimentary social network.

The biggest question really is if digital downloads will be standard, remain an option or limited to small games.

I love handhelds.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
I think this thread is quite relevant to the discussion of next gen handhelds.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350111&page=2

Personally, I think the days of the hardware-centric approach are over.

1. Because the DS has defeated the PSP handily
2. Because technology has reached that sort of critical point where the majority of popular computing applications can be done by most devices, irrespective of power and price point.

With that said, what I'd want to see from a next gen portable is a multi SKU approach; iPod Touch + iPhone style.

In fact, there's such a great amount of convergence occuring at that level; cell phones have essentially become minaturized general computing devices with broadcast and recieve chips... that it would be short sighted to go for any other plan.

The strategy for next gen portables then is primarily in timing when to release; in a few years, this sort of technology becomes very common place; they can increase the power of the device without increasing the cost... but they also run the risk of someone coming out with a popular unified software platform for phones, that's also suitable for gaming. I mean... the iPhone is nearly there. Except for the lack of built in game controls!

Personally, I'd want to see

relatively large amounts of inbuilt flash memory (16gigs can be done for $4 on the OEM level?)
Slidetop; in the vein of the PSP2 concept above
multi-touch screen
Micro-SD card slot (cheapest flash card around)

Neo C.

camineet said:
http://www.freewebs.com/rocky224499/nintendo_ds_2.jpg

Nintendo DS2
multi-touch screens
built-in tilt
$149

http://media.techeblog.com/images/pspconcept_1.jpg
Sony PSP2
Micro CELL with 1 SPE
PowerVR SGX GPU
multi-touch screen
solid state game media
$199

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/articles/xboxportablenews.gif
Microsoft Xboy
$199
Man, not even the basics of industrial design are considered. So stupid. :(

Jaagen

camineet said:
pspconcept_1.jpg

Sony PSP2
Micro CELL with 1 SPE
PowerVR SGX GPU
multi-touch screen
solid state game media
$199

Cell will not happen(neither wil Atom) It consumes too much power. ARM Cortex is more likely, combined with the SGX.

As for Nintendo...maybe nVIDIA Tegra(ARM11+GPU) or is that too unlikely(either way, ARM will probably still be the CPU arcitechture)

xfactor said:
i am sure the screen will be bigger for internet surfing. its really time we get a real and proper gadget for wireless internet surfing ability on-the-go.

nah. Screens can only go so big before they become unwieldy in a portable. The future is not bigger screens but screens with more pixel density. Higher resolution and sharper displays increase readability (and, obviously, cleaner graphics) and, in general, make the displays nicer.

Neo C.

Ryn said:
The ds^2 looks cute in pocket mode.
:|
Cute? Sure, but the design itself has so many weakpoints, people will hate it with passion. It's totally against Nintendo's philosophy of rock solid hardware. :(

The one thing that that is needed most of all by both handhelds is 3G support. Even if they don't use it for making phone calls or have it as an optional SKU, it needs to happen, it's the biggest problem with portable online play!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If Nintendo can cram a gamecube into a DS casing, that's good enough for me.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Kill off the stupid DS and bring back the Gameboy. With a single wide touchscreen. 2 screens can rot in hell.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Just like last generation, nVidia has the resources to prevent themselves from being left out of all the major consoles, so they'll get the next Nintendo deal now that AMD is out of handhelds and PowerVR got Sony.

OpenCL and a beefy SGX would make moot any benefit from a 'micro-Cell', which wouldn't be efficient enough anyway, as mentioned above.

xfactor

Banned
singularity said:
nah. Screens can only go so big before they become unwieldy in a portable. The future is not bigger screens but screens with more pixel density. Higher resolution and sharper displays increase readability (and, obviously, cleaner graphics) and, in general, make the displays nicer.

I guess I should word my statement a little better. When I meant bigger screen, I really mean expanding the size of the screen without expanding the size of the hardware. Nintendo compensate the smaller screen by having 2. I am imaging a screen big enough to fill up the entire top clamshell (and shifting the speaker somewhere) or something.

Hobbun

MaizeRage25 said:
That would cost $5000.

Never mind the fact it would uncomfortable as hell to hold when playing games. How would you hold it?

As for the future of handhelds, give us scratch proof (not resistant) screens. Like the IPhones, these are impossible to scratch. It may cost a bit now, but the price should come enough down in the near future to make them affordable.

1. Portable systems for VC/PSN/XBLA games or equivalent - transferable from home consoles & viceversa
  2. Digital Downloads only. No physical media besides an SD card slot or something.
  3. Cheap ($150 at most)

KevinCow

Banned
camineet said:
xboxportablenews.gif

Microsoft Xboy
$199
Dear god, this looks even more uncomfortable than the awful PSP2 design.

Shawn said:
How would you play this thing? Where are the buttons? How would you even hold it?

I mean really, do the people who make these things even vaguely consider the fact that people are intended to hold and use what they're making?

Top Bottom