• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of handhelds

Blablurn

they have to invent a toucscreen that can change its surface, so it could immitate buttons, that actually are feelable.

Haunted

This thread reminds me how much I love mockups, stupid/feasible or not.

Shawn said:
Flexible OLED display for PSP2...

sony_psp2_1.jpg
:eek:

I didn't know such technology existed. I take it it's still pretty fucking expensive, though?

M3d10n

Dreamwriter said:
But both current-gen gaming handhelds use Digital Downloads, so that doesn't make sense that M3d10n would demand this as a next-gen feature...
Yeah, and you could download games on the original Xbox so this gen consoles did nothing new. /sarcam

Both the PSP and the DS only got downloads very late in life. Until recently you needed a PS3 to access the PSN store and the DSi, which was only released in Japan, doesn't offer retail games as downloads.

I listen to 1up Yours or Gamers with Jobs or any other podcast and hear all this talk about various iphone games only to look at my psp and go "where are all you're simple cheap downloadable games?"

And not just the app store, but the console download stores as well. There are more PSPs then PS3s out there yet the PS3's PSN is much more active.

I hope Sony tries to address this. And I don't just mean getting the current games as a download, but there's probably alot of PSP games (and certainly potential psp games) where I'd rather just get 1/3 of the content for 1/3 of the price.

Of course, I'd rather them fix the problems now rather then waiting for a launch to roll out a bunch of new improvements

Haunted said:
I didn't know such technology existed. I take it it's still pretty fucking expensive, though?
It is, but its lowering to the point where one can conceivably plan on getting one without selling a soul or two. Its still really expensive though, so maybe just a small piece of your a soul and a peanut butter cup will do.

marwan

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
DSes do use capacitive screens.

Just sometimes you need accuracy and your fingers (or at least my fingers) are fat and chunky.

it does? it feels like resistive to me. do you have a link to a detail tech-specs?

i sometimes have to use my fingernail to touch the screen for the DS to register. unlike the amazing iPhone screen that only requires a simple touch.

marwan

Banned
Caesar III said:
both! I don't want to draw something with the finger!

capacitive screens don't work with stylus, they need elector-magnetic charge from the body(or fingers) to execute commands AFAIK.

which reminds me Crayon Shinchan, the DS cannot be capacitive since it uses a stylus.

edit: the difference between capacitive and resistive screens

http://www.rycom.com.au/capvsres.htm

Mik2121

Actually I'd rather use an stylus than my own finger. I don't like having one or two fingers in front of the screen when a thin stylus could do the work with more accuracy.

Rlan

HamPster PamPster said:
I listen to 1up Yours or Gamers with Jobs or any other podcast and hear all this talk about various iphone games only to look at my psp and go "where are all you're simple cheap downloadable games?"

And not just the app store, but the console download stores as well. There are more PSPs then PS3s out there yet the PS3's PSN is much more active.

I hope Sony tries to address this. And I don't just mean getting the current games as a download, but there's probably alot of PSP games (and certainly potential psp games) where I'd rather just get 1/3 of the content for 1/3 of the price.

Of course, I'd rather them fix the problems now rather then waiting for a launch to roll out a bunch of new improvements

It really depends on what you classify your system AS. It's all politics. For downloadable games to become Xbox Live Arcade, PSN or WiiWare titles they have to be rated by the ESRB, PEGI, USK, OFLC, everything under the sun. This costs money. DS and PSP software would be the same.

iPhone games do not need this at all. Apple do it themselves I believe. It's the same as the XNA Community Games which get rated themselves too, however Microsoft had to jump through so many hoops in order to get that completely sorted. It's still not available in a lot of countries.

I've no idea why, I assume it may be easier if you classify your system as a PHONE or a MUSIC PLAYER first and foremost. Sort of like how Sony calls the PlayStation 2 a specific name to avoid certain taxes.

marwan said:
capacitive screens don't work with stylus, they need elector-magnetic charge from the body(or fingers) to execute commands AFAIK.

which reminds me Crayon Shinchan, the DS cannot be capacitive since it uses a stylus.

edit: the difference between capacitive and resistive screens

http://www.rycom.com.au/capvsres.htm
Why do you quote me? I know this and that is why I said I want both, capacitive and resistive so I can use either Stylus or finger.

Finger only like the Iphone sucks

jarrod

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Harddrive.
flashdrive.

I think with DSi, we're not going to see another Nintendo handheld for a good 2-3 years. It's essentially DS's "Game Boy Color", a modest stopgap until we see it's features better integrated in a full fledged successor. We'll get the next PSP (PSP2? PSPtouch? PSPhone?) before that.

xfactor said:
i am sure the screen will be bigger for internet surfing. its really time we get a real and proper gadget for wireless internet surfing ability on-the-go.

The iPhone I'm using to post this from the airport is laughing at you.

jarrod

Banned
civilstrife said:
The iPhone I'm using to post this from the airport is laughing at you.
Ugh. iPhone's great for surfing but surprisingly awful for posting/chatting/texting imo. :/

Esch

Banned
Haunted said:
This thread reminds me how much I love mockups, stupid/feasible or not.

Seriously, they're all entertaining to look at. Obviously the PSP screen flippy deal makes no goddamned sense, but if you don't think that looks cool you are lame. Lame lame lame.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am happy with the DS. I like the stylus more than finger touching for games (I own an iPod Touch and DS). I'd love to use a stylus on SimCity iPod but the SimCity games on DS are total ass water. The dual screens really helps with the interface on some games but its not necessary. I don't see the need for more fancy 3D graphics honestly, I like the ability to play 2D games on the handheld, and games can be complex and interesting on the platform (too often they aren't, but that's for another time).

One thing I always sort of wanted was a d-pad like the NGPC's, the fighters were amazing on that platform as opposed to the near-joke they've been on every other system save Tekken on PSP (and even then, on the PSP 1000....)

thaOwner

If anything, I think Sony have learned their lessons with the PS3 and will not make a mistake of developing cell-esque processor for the PSP with a steep learning curve.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Honestly, I hope that the DS' successor, whenever we see it, isn't powerful enough to handle decent (as in above N64-level) 3D. The DS is one of the last bastions of quality 2D gaming and I'd really hate to see that go away.

Long live the DS. :D

slider

Neo-Sheperd said:
If anything, I think Sony have learned their lessons with the PS3 and will not make a mistake of developing cell-esque processor for the PSP with a steep learning curve.

How devs are coping with Cell is another matter.

But, alternatively, if Cell is establised with the PS3 I'd say it makes a lot of sense to have a 1 PPE * SPU Cell in the PSP v2. I'm no coder but surely that'd make some code multi-use.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
GPGPU with Series 5XT is more efficient than SPEs: no CELL for PSP2.

"PS2 w/shaders" level of performance is how the graphics of Nintendo's next handheld has been described.

psp2 will need to be able to run what ever type of the code the PS4 runs so that PSN titles can either be either played on the PS4 or PSP2.

This will allow them to kill 2 birds with one stone. bigger customer base (some may buy one and not the other) and devs have an instantly multiplatform game (kinda).

if they really try, they could possibly make the psp backwards compatible with some PSN titles. Not the ones that a super graphically intense like Wipeout HD but like flow, SSDHD,and bionic commando.

Hive

Banned
I don't need a DS2.. I love the DS for what it gives us, which is a lot of 2D software~

Yea, the 3D is hard to look at sometimes, but it's that very reason why more developers are making their games 2D, i think~

clemenx

Banned
Hive said:
I don't need a DS2.. I love the DS for what it gives us, which is a lot of 2D software~

Yea, the 3D is hard to look at sometimes, but it's that very reason why more developers are making their games 2D, i think~

I agree with this, i feel that a Nintendo hanheld with Game Cube like graphics could be the end of 2D gaming :[

HCgamer

No doubt Nintendo's next handheld will have Gamecube like graphics. That has been their pattern. The original Gameboy, Pocket, Color had weaker NES graphics. The Advance was a more powerful Snes. The Ds a more powerful N64.

shas'la said:

Sweet!

Hive

Banned
Tbh, I don't think the DS2 will have graphics quite on par with the Gamecube.

Because, I imagine they will keep it relative to Dreamcast quality in order to keep a high frame-rate~ Similar to how DS software is often performing at 60fps with a N64-esque graphics engine (which was typically 30fps, IIRC)

Somnid

I've always had the idea that 2D will move to an new 3rd tier gaming platform. A sort of "mini portable." The idea is probably easiest expressed by comparing an iPod nano to an iPod touch. Both are portable but one is certainly easier to carry everywhere, even in a pants pocket throughout your daily routine. The other is feature-packed but a bit bulky, better for trains and airplanes.

The idea isn't entirely new, but rather a targeted expansion onto the market that was never really explored to its potential because the technology just wasn't there. Older variations fitting this mold would be Tamagachis and other keychain pets, Digimon, Dreamcast VMU, Pocket station, and from the other angle with the Gameboy Micro. Currently cellphones and iPod Nano/Zune have some stake in this market but it's not like any of them are going anywhere in terms of gaming, as it's an after-thought. A concentrated effort into this market could really pay off IMO.

- The device would be scaled down and as thin as possible.

-The device would contain a small amount of flash memory capiable of holding some firmware and a few games (128MB?) but will have a microSD slot for upgrading.

-I figure something maybe slightly below GBA level in terms of power.

-The device would have a mini USB port which could connect to a console or just a computer for those without and it would charge via the same means. Games would not be sold at retail, it'd all be download only and transferred over the USB cable.

-It would have some means of interfacing with other of the same devices like IR to share data but no real-time multiplayer applications as bluetooth and wireless are expensive and a bit over-kill while wires are definately not something that would work for such a device.

-Speaker, perhaps not but at the very least a headphone jack with some included cheap earbuds.

- My thoughts would that the standard design should allow for one-handed play in Wii-mote style but maybe could also flip to a normal layout to allow developers to port projects over with minimal loss. No more than 2 face buttons (A and B), a D-pad, 2 function buttons (Start and Select) and maybe a trigger if one can be squeezed in vertical mode. There would be a motion (tilt) sensor to add a little more depth without complicating the device.

- Shoot for a $50 price tag, sub $100 at worst. Adjust specs as necessary.

- Device can play MP3s too, that would just be some simple software.

- Contains loop to hang danglies off of. Customizable face plates. I think the customization options on such a device would be important especially to appeal to the masses.

- Launch with a virtual pet application (Nintendogs mini?)

- If Nintendo, use the Gameboy brand to instantly attach a lineage to it.

I think such a device would do very well. Current handhelds are not only somewhat bulky, but as are extremely feature rich and are developed almost as miniture consoles. They are also getting expensive to boot and this would be easier for parents to swallow. This would simply take portables to the next level in portability. Games would be 2D (3D if you really wanted to push it with software engines), cheap and less complex for short "burst" gameplay. Perhaps you could even enforce that all games have a suspend feature not unlike Virtual Console where you start exactly where you powered off so you can instantly put it away.

2D handheld gaming will never go away, no matter how powerful the machine is, simply because handheld game budgets are very small and 2D games are cheaper to produce.

Look at the PSP, it has plenty of good 2D games despite it's 3D prowess and people are buying them in droves on the DS. 2D handheld gaming is here to stay.

M3d10n

Hive said:
Tbh, I don't think the DS2 will have graphics quite on par with the Gamecube.

Because, I imagine they will keep it relative to Dreamcast quality in order to keep a high frame-rate~ Similar to how DS software is often performing at 60fps with a N64-esque graphics engine (which was typically 30fps, IIRC)
This a million times. 60fps for the motherfucking win. Would be amazing if they somehow manage to keep the scanline-based renderer which enforces 60fps unless the CPU is overworked but increased the max polycounts and added a few features (filtering, more blend modes and multi-texturing would be enough).
(BTW N64 games were often below 30fps...)

DCX

DCX
M3d10n said:
This a million times. 60fps for the motherfucking win. Would be amazing if they somehow manage to keep the scanline-based renderer which enforces 60fps unless the CPU is overworked but increased the max polycounts and added a few features (filtering, more blend modes and multi-texturing would be enough).
Dreamcast trumped Gamecube IMO, so i like that "sacrifice"

DCX

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
M3d10n said:

I agree, the most important thing for the DS2 is that it should have the 60 FPS locked in place.

Whether it is DC, Gamecube, or XBOX level graphics, I want the console to every single game locked at that framerate.

jarrod

Banned
DCX said:
Dreamcast trumped Gamecube IMO
Yes, it certainly failed in a more spectacular manner. :lol

Of course DC's corpse got raped and all the good titles ported, but GC's going through a similar trauma now. Should be a heated battle for most retrospectively worthless console, Dreamcast may lose it crown yet. :D

Hive

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
2D handheld gaming will never go away, no matter how powerful the machine is. 2D handheld gaming is here to stay.

No question it's here to stay. What worries us is the frequency of developed 2D titles.

DS is lucky to have a flood of 2D games, and that would suck to see a decline~

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shas'la said:
I would quite like this;

3d-nintendo-ds2-front.jpg

medium_2159076788_1e7c0f4191_o.jpg
I just realized how badly the screwed up the top and bottom image, they don't line up. Top says there is only 4 racers and Mario is in 3rd, bottom says there is 8 and he is in 6th.

Osuwari

Drkirby said:
I just realized how badly the screwed up the top and bottom image, they don't line up. Top says there is only 4 racers and Mario is in 3rd, bottom says there is 8 and he is in 6th.

they used pics from diffferent mario karts.

on topic, i want better resolution screens, tilt sensors, rumble, all of DSi's features, other new features and graphical power on the level of GC on the DS sucessor. i also want better d-pad and buttons (moreso the d-pad. use the GBM d-pad) and more resistant touch screens.
waiting for tech to get cheap enough for that is good and seems to be part of nintendo's plan.

warthog

Drkirby said:

3/4 6/8 12/16, it's all the same :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Osuwari said:
they used pics from diffferent mario karts.
I realzie that, the top is the arcade, the bottom is from DS. I just thought if the person put enough work on everything else he could of gotten the shots to match up.

Top Bottom