• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy an Xbox handheld that included Steam and Epic instead of, or in addition to a Switch 2

Would purchase Xbox handheld including other store fronts, and/or Switch 2?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've been considering what my next purchase is going to be and I've come to the conclusion that it will be a handheld. I've done some light research on different offerings. I feel like though Steamdeck is first to market in this new wave of handhelds, it's been outdone by competitors, maybe with the exclusion of OLED?

Xbox rumors mention a new handheld which I think would be a really good compliment to my PC if it has Steam and other store fronts as well as Cloud capability.

I also own a Switch, and assuming Switch 2 would be backwards compatible, it would be a sensible upgrade.

I'm curious if anybody else has been considering this. Is all this moot because of the plethora of choices for handhelds out right now?

Kssio_Aug

I don't care much for handhelds, but I really like Nintendo Switch (just because it's a good console nonetheless). So out of these, I would probably buy only the Switch 2.

Robb

Gold Member
I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games, so there’s not really any competition from that standpoint.

And if MS plan to release their games on PlayStation consistently I’d rather just stick with PlayStation and play everything MS/Playstation on there.

I wouldn’t be opposed to owning a Steam Deck/Steam Handheld though.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
m curious if anybody else has been considering this. Is all this moot because of the plethora of choices for handhelds out right now?
I have been thinking about it too. As I have probably less money than you and plan to get a PS5 Pro first, I am more limited in my choices. A Sony successor to the Vita would be perfect for my needs, but who knows when that will ever happen. A Steam deck 2 would be the next best thing, but it should be years away. So Switch 2 or this rumored Xbox handheld are the only choices that make sense to me. If the Switch 2 is good, I will take it. But I may prefer the Xbox if the Switch 2 is really underpowered by comparison, the console seems to have great success, I may use it as a tablet, and I would like to have Steam if possible.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Microsoft aren't making a dedicated handheld.

clarky

Gold Member
No. I'm fully pc and switch at this point. No reason to own anything else personally.

Edit: I do own a PS5 and an X also but have not used either significantly this year. Waste of money.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No. I'm fully pc and switch at this point. No reason to own anything else personally.

Edit: I do own a PS5 and an X also but have not used either significantly this year. Waste of money.
I tend to agree. I bought the X and was trying to get a PS5...just gave up on both at this point. However, an Xbox handheld does make me curious. Would like to see how 3rd pt support would help a more powerful switch as well.

Pop

Poll sucks

Wheres the None option. Dedicated PC handhelds are alright but you might as well spend an extra $300 and get yourself a real pc.

Pc handhelds run like shit in deck mode. Only okish in handheld

clarky

Gold Member
I tend to agree. I bought the X and was trying to get a PS5...just gave up on both at this point. However, an Xbox handheld does make me curious. Would like to see how 3rd pt support would help a more powerful switch as well.
I have a 4090 latop and a 4070 mini itx. Rendering everything else in the house completely useless, including the wife lol.

(Apart from the switch of course).

Last edited:

Metnut

I don’t need two handhelds and the XBox one won’t have Nintendo exclusives so Switch 2 is an easy call. Steam has little that I’m interested in that won’t be on PS5 (and many of those games come years late to Steam)), so Switch 2 plus PS5 completely has me covered.

Last edited:

Jaybe

For a handheld form factor, I very interested in buying one of or both Switch 2 and SteamDeck 2 when they release.

clarky

Gold Member
Poll sucks

Wheres the None option. Dedicated PC handhelds are alright but you might as well spend an extra $300 and get yourself a real pc.

Pc handhelds run like shit in deck mode. Only okish in handheld
Hows gaming on the train with a desktop?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Xbox handheld makes no sense for me, when a Steam Deck will do the job better.

Microsoft can't even get Game Pass or Microsoft Rewards functioning properly a lot of the time, so I don’t expect them to do well with a handheld.

XXL

No.

My next handheld will be either be the Steam Deck 2 and/or Switch 2.

I won't be buying anything hardware related from Xbox again for the foreseeable future.

I'm extremely skeptical on them even making new hardware in general.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nothing would stop me from buying a Switch 2 since that’ll be the only way to play Nintendo games. Nintendo has been really consistent in producing excellent games, especially during the Wii U/Switch era.

But I’d still probably also buy an Xbox handheld, and a Steamdeck 2.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That Super Switch coming with fire so im all in on that.

Im not paying scalper prices though, so i might have to snag one down the line.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Zero point in owning anything other than a pc if you must play the mediocre xbox offerings these days.

I’ll get them on ps5

But I still have a series x

Contemplating selling it but i dunno, I guess I’ll hold onto it for now since I don’t think I’d get much for it

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don’t need two handhelds and the XBox one won’t have Nintendo exclusives so Switch 2 is an easy call. Steam has little that I’m interested in that won’t be on PS5 (and many of those games come years late to Steam)), so Switch 2 plus PS5 completely has me covered.
I think I'm more concerned with 3rd party support when it comes to a Switch 2. I can pretty much bank on an Xbox handheld having it's library of games playable on it and maybe Steam games as well. On Switch I have like...maybe 10 games. On Steam, I have hundreds, if not 1000 games. I don't want to miss out on some Switch exclusives. Smash, Metroid, Zelda and Mario of course are kinda must haves for me. However in terms of sheer volume of games...an Xbox with Steam would greatly outweigh that.

I think I would place myself in the category of buying both...but maybe waiting a bit to buy Switch 2 if, and only if, Xbox's handheld allowed me to play my Steam Library.

clarky

Gold Member
I’ll get them on ps5

But I still have a series x

Contemplating selling it but i dunno, I guess I’ll hold onto it for now since I don’t think I’d get much for it
Yeah mines in the bedroom, i only use it from time to time to be disappointed in the lastest forza patch.

No point selling it for peanuts when i can watch 4k Dune on it and fall asleep.

Edit: Just read that back, depressing state of affairs. Used to love the OG and 360 back in the day. Shame.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yeah mines in the bedroom, i only use it from time to time to be disappointed in the lastest forza patch.

No point selling it for peanuts when i can watch 4k Dune on it and fall asleep.
Yep, that's basically what I use my X for these days. Youtube, Netflix, physical movies.

I don't even have Gamepass Ultimate anymore. I changed it to PC gamepass. So I cannot use Gamepass on the X currently

clarky

Gold Member
That Super Switch coming with fire so im all in on that.

Im not paying scalper prices though, so i might have to snag one down the line.
Yep fucking stupid if MS think they will have any success in the handheld market launching along side what will probably end up being the follow up to the greatest selling console ever. They are doomed to fail.

They launch the series with no games against the PS5 now they think they can out do Nintendo and valve? lol.

Is there anyone on this forum not getting a switch 2?

Last edited:
Why would I buy a Xbox handheld without exclusives? Switch 2 will at least have reasons for me to buy it.

I'd rather buy the next Steam Deck if I wanted a PC handheld.

I think Steam Deck 2 with Switch 2 emulation will cover all bases on that front, but I prefer gaming on PC and despise Nintendo. Damn shame the Nintendo systems get 3rd party releases not available on other consoles or PC.

I already own a Steam OLED so I have access to the few Xbox exclusives via Steam as well as a large library of other games. I am far more interested in the Switch 2 than an Xbox handheld personally. Not sure what an Xbox handheld would offer that Steam Deck doesn't already. I mean the Xbox Series X|S is already struggling to sell due to a lack of compelling exclusives so what is the hook for the handheld version? It can't be not because you can play Xbox exclusives and third-party games portably because you can already do that on a £300 Steam Deck (the base model)... and right now so if you want that then why wait?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Already have a steam deck and will get a switch 2 provided there is physical BC.

Don't need any more handheld devices other than that.

Kenpachii

Steam deck is enough for me, plays everything i want out of it. Switch 2 is on my menu next if it has physical bc with switch games.

Beechos

I would buy both just because I can. I can care less about steam or epic. As long as this portable machine can play my digital library of xbox games it'll be day 1.

DAHGAMING

Yea man il cop them both I dont even give a fuck, im crazy like that. Missues loves the Switch and I bust the odd game on it, but I am intrested in getting 1 of these pc handhelds, waiting for the next wave though. Dosnt realy matter if its Xbox or another brand, I like the look of Steam deck but would rather 1 that can play other pc stores aswell.

Top Bottom