• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Creates: Super Smash Bros. 4

PLAYABLE CHARACTER VOTING IS ONCE AGAIN UNDER WAY FOR A NEW LIST!

So clearly, after the response to my Melee vs. Brawl thread. No one can really seem to agree on whether Melee, Brawl or 64 was better. So, I came up with this idea. Basically, I think it would be fun to hear what everyone wants in the next Smash Bros. What modes, what characters, what music, what stages, item ideas, the works. Hell, if we really want to, we can write our own story and scenarios for a Subspace Emissary mode that doesn’t suck. I will update the OP consistently based off of suggestions and after we’ve compiled a big enough list of what we would like to see in the next game, we can vote on what legitimately should and should not be included.

Also, the only thing I will be updating in the OP are character lists and stages. Modes, music, etc. will be on a post by post basis.

The Updated Playable Character Voting Rules (IMPORTANT! MUST-READ!):

- All Third Party Characters Must Have Appeared On a Nintendo Platform

- If a character is suggested for a series that has not yet been represented in the Smash games, the main character from that series MUST have already been suggested. (IE: No voting for King Hippo and Super Macho Man if Little Mac hasn't been nominated.)

- Things are going to work a little differently this time when it comes to voting. In order for a character to gain a spot on the list, the characters must've been nominated by at least 5 different people. Only after five votes will the character be added to "the list". This way, we at GAF actually have to work together if we wish to see a charcater gain a spot. The only exceptions are veteran fighters which will be added once people request them. If they appeared since Melee, only one vote is required to "confirm" them. If since Brawl, they need two.

- You are allowed to vote for five characters in your initial post and after that you are allowed to post one suggestion every 24 hours after that inital post.

THE LIST SO FAR:

Super Mario Bros.:

Mario
Peach
Bowser
Toad
Luigi

The Legend of Zelda:

Link
Zelda

Kirby Super Star:

Kirby

Pokemon:

Pikachu
Lucario

Donkey Kong Country:

Donkey Kong

Star Fox:

Fox
Falco

Metroid:

Samus

Yoshi's Island:

Yoshi

Game and Watch:

Mr. Game and Watch

F-Zero:

Captain Falcon

MOTHER:

Ness
Lucas
Masked Man

Animal Crossing:

Tom Nook

Fire Emblem:

Marth
Ike

Wario:

Wario
Captain Syrup

Pikmin:

Pikmin & Olimar

Golden Sun:

Isaac

Mario RPG Series:

Geno

Punch-Out!!:

Little Mac

Startropics:

Mike Jones

Nazo no Murasame-jō:

Takamaru

Mega Man:

Mega Man

The Suggestion List (As of Now):

Megaman- Megaman (7)- SAFE
Mii- Wii Series (7)- SAFE
Toad- Super Mario Bros. (7)- SAFE
Little Mac- Punch-Out (6)- SAFE
Takamaru- Nazo no Murasame-jō (5)- SAFE
Captain Syrup- Wario Land (5)- SAFE
Masked Man- MOTHER (5)- SAFE
Tom Nook- Animal Crossing (5)- SAFE
Geno- Mario RPG Series (5)- SAFE
Isaac- Golden Sun (5)- SAFE
Mike Jones- Startropics (5)- SAFE
Luigi- Super Mario Bros.- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ MAJOR SUPPORTING CHARACTER OF SERIES
Ness- MOTHER- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ LEAD OF SERIES
Marth- Fire Emblem- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ LEAD OF SERIES
Lucas- MOTHER (2)- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ MAJOR SUPPORTING CHARACTER OF SERIES
Ike- Fire Emblem (2)- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ MAJOR SUPPORTING CHARACTER OF SERIES
Falco- Star Fox- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ MAJOR SUPPORTING CHARACTER OF SERIES
Lucario- Pokemon (2)- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ MAJOR SUPPORTING CHARACTER OF SERIES
Mr. Game and Watch- Game and Watch- SAFE DUE TO PREVIOUS INCLUSIONS/ LEAD OF SERIES
Skull Kid- The Legend of Zelda (4)
Professor Layton- Professor Layton (4)
Travis Touchdown- No More Heroes (4)
Ridley- Metroid (3)
King K. Rool- Donkey Kong Country (3)
Neku- The World Ends With You (2)
Lyndis- Fire Emblem (2)
Captain Rainbow- Captain Rainbow (2)
Sukapon- Joy Mech Fight (2)
Waluigi- Super Mario Bros. (2)
Daisy- Super Mario Bros. (2)
Salsa- MOTHER
Diddy Kong- Donkey Kong Country
King Dedede- Kirby Super Star
Black Shadow- F-Zero
The Black Knight- Fire Emblem
Tingle- The Legend of Zelda
Mewtwo- Pokemon
Impa- The Legend of Zelda
Saki- Sin and Punishment
Mr. Dream- Punch-Out!!
Ray- Disaster: Day of Crisis
Lip- Panel de Pon
Jill- Drill Dozer
Meowth- Pokemon
Wolf- Starfox
Layle- FFCC: The Crystal Bearers
Diddy + Dixie- Donkey Kong Country
Bomberman- Bomberman
Linebeck- The Legend of Zelda
Flint- MOTHER
Boy and His Blob- A Boy and His Blob
Bowser Jr.- Super Mario Bros.
Gold (Pokemon Trainer)- Pokemon
Deoxys- Pokemon
Tetra/ Toon Zelda- The Legend of Zelda
8-bit Mega Man- Mega Man
Edward- Full Metal Alchemist
Kart- Mario Kart

Blizzard

Banned
I'm gonna have to go with Gordon Freeman. Or maybe Megaman! Or Bomberman!

Oh, and not just "man" characters, maybe there can be some woman characters too. I'm not too biased.

DarkKyo

Brawl needed a Square character if it had a Konami character, like seriously!

I'd go with either Sora or Chrono.

Insaniac

Geno damnit! :D

edit he'd more likely be the assist trophy

But more than Geno... Isaac! Just seeing his assist in brawl reminded me of how awesome he'd fit in smash

Wow at all of the character suggestions already but remember this isn't just limited to characters, you can all suggest stages, items, music and modes too.

However, for music, please provide some sort of Youtube link so we could all HEAR IT.

Alexandra Roivas
Megaman
Geno
Ladd from Bionic Commando
Zelda/Sheik (Sheik not being as nerfed)

I will post later on the other stuff.

Guled

- take out the single player, no point spend the resources on the modes people play
- Have all characters unlocked at the start
- no clones
- since I assume this will come out in wii hd we can't have that big of a cast, so no more then 2 characters per series
- better online
- have a competitive mode where you get rid of all the items and randomness, also include a mode like that online
- have the options for more then 4 players online
- better custom stage support where you could upload your own track and post online LBP style that could be played online
- better super moves
- change the gameplay somewhat, the old style is nice but its been 15 years, time to innovate

thats all I have right now, the character list doesn't matter, but keep it Nintendo first party only

rexor0717

-Isaac from Golden Sun is in the game.
-The online mode has a lobby system and not the bad matchmaking in brawl.
-Wavedash is back.
-Oh, and if Snake is back, his final smash is an Old Snake transformation.

-Get back to basics with the fighting
-Scale back the particle effects
-More distinctive art design. Something more akin to the original art style. (Dolls fighting!)

2icadmv.jpg

MisterHero

Ryu (3rd Strike or TvC)
Dan (Marvel vs Capcom 2)
Megaman (CLASSIC version)

I will probably add more ideas other than characters if this thread thrives but I want some Capcom involvment. I expect it!!!

Non-Capcom Characters:
Popeye
Lark (Pilotwings 64)
Mickey Mouse (Mickey's Speedway USA)
Superman (Justice Leage Task Force was a decent SF clone :lol)
Goku (Jump Superstars)

SUPER SENTAI
Big One (from JakQ)
Zyuranger Geki and Burai (or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Jason and Tommy :lol)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Raphael

A good Egg Galaxy Level from Mario Galaxy with music
It can be very simple like just a small planet or two but it needs to be a fully round planet so people can walk all the way around the planet and people have to be hit hard off the planet to die because gravity will pull them back.

Eternal Darkness Level - Inside the Rovias House
-Could just be the front of the house with the stairs or be the part with the large God stuck in the ground.
-Important part: Insanity effects - Items not being there when they look like it or the items are actually something else (Hammer is really a shell), Controls inverting, People turning into other characters but performing the same moves as their original character, HP levels not being accurate on the bottom of screen

New game mode: Use the DOA type switch in, where you can use multiple characters per person and you tag the other characters in. The person slowly regains health when off the screen.

I would rather a Brawl 1.4 instead of waiting on a whole new Smash Bros, there was too much in Brawl that could be expanded on without rebuilding everything from scratch. (That pathetic stage creator, for starters.) That said...

Character suggestion: Jill from Drill Dozer

256px-Drill_Dozer.jpg

Beats many of the stereotypes of the light female fighter by being in a giant tank with a drill, similar to Tron Bonne in Marvel vs Capcom 2. The drill dozer has several mode attachments like sub and plane, which they could have some fun with, and they could even get creative with allowing Jill to abandon her armor temporarily, but at a huge disadvantage.

Stage suggestion: Hazard frequency adjustment

What a strange thing missing from Brawl. Wouldn't it be nice if sometimes you could turn off the crazy in some of the stages? And other times you want a non-stop barrage, like that Adventure mode battle in Melee where the Great Fox is constantly being pelted with Arwing fire? You could tune Onett to be a non-stop stream of cars, or a completely abandoned street. You could actually play on Spear Pillar. Tourneys would cheer.

Feature suggestion: Expanded replay capabilities

I'm not just talking about longer replays, something people have already enabled with Ocarina codes. Replays by the developers that, for example, serve as a more detailed version of How to Play. They play in small segments with describing text, they can focus on techniques or character play in-depth, and they can be updated and added to as the community discovers new approaches to common situations. They would always be available on an online catalog or help guide accessible in-game, none of this "one day only" rubbish.

JCX

Guled said:
- take out the single player, no point spend the resources on the modes people play
- Have all characters unlocked at the start
- no clones
- since I assume this will come out in wii hd we can't have that big of a cast, so no more then 2 characters per series
- better online
- have a competitive mode where you get rid of all the items and randomness, also include a mode like that online
- have the options for more then 4 players online
- better custom stage support where you could upload your own track and post online LBP style that could be played online
- better super moves
- change the gameplay somewhat, the old style is nice but its been 15 years, time to innovate

thats all I have right now, the character list doesn't matter, but keep it Nintendo first party only

:lol Change the playstyle? Obviously you haven't played enough smash.

- All stages from 64,melee, and brawl
- All characters
-Make snake vulnerable to all of his own explosive weapons (mortar included) and lower his weight
- New characters: Lyn (Fire Emblem), RayMK3 (custom robo), Dark Samus, some sf character, some f-zero character, dixie kong, team Rocket or Rival, Little mac, Issac
- Third party: Megaman, SE character, Tails, Knuckles, blaze, or shadow
- give olimar an actual recovery
- Online that is at least comparable to Starcraft's battle.net
- a story mode that has stages tailored to certain characters so it is actually fun to play
- 10-15 new stages
- Return of board the platforms, race to the finish (is that even gone)
- faster load times
- no fc needed
- faster than brawl, slower than melee
-increased throw strength
- crossover concept. 64 had dolls, melee had figurines

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh no, no, no, no, no, no.

I'm declaring a moratorium on posting by Jiggy. Hear that Jiggs? You're not allowed in this thread.

Mac the KNife said:
-Get back to basics with the fighting
-Scale back the particle effects
-More distinctive art design. Something more akin to the original art style. (Dolls fighting!)

2icadmv.jpg

I agree with every single thing you just said. Well put sir.

Also, I think this should be a boss sequence in the Subspace Emissary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u29HA-Cu4KY&feature=channel_page

Gigyas would invade an Animal Crossing town, corrupt Mr. Resetti and Resetti would Resettyas. Ness and K.K. would have to team up and kill the abomination. Tell me that would not be an AMAZING sequence. Also, the music that plays during the boss battle would be what is in the video, Gigyas' Theme as sung by K.K. Slider. Seriously, BEST CROSSOVER EVER.

MisterHero

akachan ningen said:
This series needs a true, drastic overhaul. Make a proper fighting game with life bars, none of this knocking out of the ring junk.
E. Honda
True Sumo Wrestling has finally come to Smash Bros.!!!

Haly

akachan ningen said:
This series needs a true, drastic overhaul. Make a proper fighting game with life bars, none of this knocking out of the ring junk.
Yes, let's take away the defining aspects of the Smash series and turn it into Nintendo vs... Nintendo!

No.

That said I fully support a Nintendo vs Capcom or, better yet, Nintendo vs Namco fighter in the style of MvC, except without all the infinite's and mag-fucking-neto's.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
akachan ningen said:
rofl no. If anything, Melee was a true evolution of the stagnant fighting genre, and then Brawl had to go and fuck it up.

akachan ningen said:
so, not smash bros, but a completely different game

hey guys, how about if halo 4 is a first person rpg

Azure J

I was trying so hard to not do a list here, but meh:

- Characters need to be included from both sides of the world this time around. This means that the next time they're doing a poll to see who should be in Smash, they should have two voting lists, one with a few NA/EU exclusive Nintendo franchise star characters and one for the JP regions.

- Better online and versus mode options are a given. Stuff like live online room spectators, extended replay capturing & longer taunt messages are a must. Also, 8 players battling on screen at once. It's time Smash became more manic than ever.

- Some method other than Smash Balls to obtain a Final Smash during no items matches. Maybe a special bar that builds up as you deal damage and use upper level mechanics? (Wall jumps/techs, footstool jumps into spikes, etc. So the competitive types can have their cake and eat it too.)

- Try to reach a good midpoint between Melee's fast pace and Brawl's slower but more methodological gameplay, that way the "it plays too loose, slow & floaty" people and the "I love it, it's like Smash 64" people can sing Kumbaya with one another for once. :lol

- No tripping unless it's in a situation that makes sense. (Tripping on Diddy Kong's banana peels, Ice on the stage, Getting hit with Lip's Stick, throwing a Freezie at the ground a la Mario Bros.)

- More interesting diversity in the roster. (We need more witches, wizards, athletes, females, eastern styled swordsmen/women and staff/pole/spear users. Also, WTF types are cool too)

- The next Smash needs to drop the super serious stuff and go for a full out LOL storyline. (Maybe it could work with in-jokes from the universes of each character?) Also, do not focus all the attention on one particular series this time around. (Points to all the Kirby spotlight in Brawl.)

- Smash 64. Announcer, crowd, Board The Platforms, Race to The Finish & sound effects. NOW. :lol

- Declone the clones whose movesets mostly make no sense (Ganondorf needs to be justified, and no don't give him a sword, emphasize on the Warlock aspect of things. Warlock Punch, Thunderstomp (Down Air) & Flame Choke (Side Special) however stay. :D) AND. BUFF. MARIO. DAMMIT. Give him back the spinning bird kick for his down air & the Spin from Galaxy as his Down Special. While I'm talking about characters, remove Toad from Peach's arsenal, give her some of her Super Princess Peach moves and make Toad a playable grappler type character. He'd be fast and strong with a grappler/judo type moveset (to reflect his Super Mario Bros. 2 USA incarnation better), but would be incredibly light (Think Kirby).

- This one is more of a interesting side though, but cel-shading so the game can be even more cartoonish and distinct. I'm thinking something along the lines of Jet Set Radio/Future or something like the manic look on the Strikers/Strikers Charged Boxart. Y/N?

And character suggestions you say? Well here are some of mine, but keep in mind that I have good reasons for suggesting these guys:

- Mike Jones (StarTropics; Of fucking course he'd be my first pick. :lol)
- Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
- Takamaru (Nazo no Muramejou)
- Demille (Tomato Adventure)
- Lip (Panel de Pon; Nintendo Puzzle Collection)
- Saki, Airan, or protagonist from Sin & Punishment 2 (Sin & Punishment)
- Lyn (Fire Emblem)
- Ridley (In before too big comments; Metroid)
- Toad & Daisy (Super Mario Bros.)
- Vaati (The Legend of Zelda)
- Dixie Kong & King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
- Andy & Sami (Advance Wars)
- Black Shadow (F - Zero)
- Ashley & Captain Syrup (WarioWare/Wario Land Series)
- Issac & Mia (Golden Sun)
- Ray MKIII (Custom Robo)

Third Parties:

Sonic The Hedgehog (SEGA)
Solid Snake (Konami; Metal Gear Solid Series)
Mega Man (Capcom; Mega Man Series)
Sora (Square-Enix & Disney; Kingdom Hearts Series; Chosen only because he would allow links into the Disney aspect of past games)
Travis Touchdown (Marvelous Entertainment; No More Heroes - Chosen because it's the only WTF that could happen that would be on par with Snake in Brawl. Also MMV & Nintendo are seemingly on good terms lately)

I think I did well here. Sorry for the long post! :D

If it were for the Wii:

Characters:
• Mii
• de Blob

Stages:
• Super Mario Galaxy stage

Other stuff:
• Way to change default rules so you don't have to change them every single time
• A way to change the tripping occurrence ratio
• Better save system in single player modes
• Single player mode like SSE except that it takes place in the worlds of preexisting Nintendo Characters
• More stage builder parts, such as water, destructible blocks, falling platforms, things that blow wind, etc.
• Ability to post pictures directly to photo channel
• Ability to go directly to Wii Shop Channel to purchase the full version of Masterpieces after trying the demo version
• A fuller featured version of Chronicle, with links to all other items in the game connected with each Chronicle item, along with short blurbs about them and a link to their page on the Nintendo Channel
• IR integration, especially in the menus, but maybe in other places such as shooting the credits
• The ability to use a DS as a controller, either normally or for drawing features in the Pictochat with the real Pictochat
• Some sort of iTunes-like interface for the music so you can make playlists out of all of the songs
• I don't know if the game already does this, but it should steal your data saved under the records section like the Nintendo Channel does
• True DLC -- whenever a new Nintendo game comes out, there could be a DLC pack for it including characters, stages, vault data, etc.

Haly

Cynar said:
Needs more Fire Emblem representation.
Lyn (cheated out of her spot) and Hector (axeman? say it ain't so!).

Also the 3 pegasi sisters from FE7 as an assist trophy.

Insaniac

Needs moar Lyndis (Fire Emblem GBA)

Also a Tetris level: starts as a flat level, pieces come down and the playing field changes. Then eventually a line piece tetrises the whole field and it restarts flat.

I am truly happy to hear that a HUGE majority of you want to have a more stylized looking game in the vein of the original for 64. That is seriously really fantastic to hear and I would to see that happen.

Also, I added a TON of your suggestions to the OP so far and I'll keep them coming.

Azure J

Level time!

Super Mario Galaxy - Good Egg Galaxy; Gusty Garden Galaxy; The Center of The Universe; You'd fight on a series of circular planets that you can run all the way around. You'd want to try and knock your opponent out upwards for the easier KO, because knocking them sideways would make them rotate around the planet. With a strong enough hit though, they'll get knocked around the planet and loop off until they break out of orbit and float off into the black holes in the distance. Stage hazards would be the gravity itself and if it's the Center of The Universe, Bowser Jr. Airship raids and different element planetoids.

The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker - Ganon's Tower; You'd fight on the top of the tower a la the Windwaker finale. Stage hazard would be getting back to the ring without getting a huge amount of water dropped on you and screwing over your recovery.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Sanctuary Fortress Aerie; simple stage design, you fight on the same moving elevator you fought Dark Samus on and can only KO upwards until the elevator hits it's peak. Then it'll go back down to ground floor and restart the process. Stage hazard would be random dimensional shifts with characters taking damage unless they are in a safe zone somewhere on the platform. You should also be able to see the intricate level layout and Quadraxis making an appearance in the background.

StarFox 64 - Area 6; The stage would be on one of those floating Venom Army sattelites. If too many peope are on one side, the stage would tip to their end. Aside from that, Arwings & the Great Fox would come in from the background and shoot at or bomb them causing it to fall out of orbit, at which time, you'd have to jump on top of the nearest Venomian army battleship or another satellite.

That's all I got for now.

7Th

It's pretty easy to improve on the Smash formula: weighter characters with shorter animations and faster, less flashy, moves.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
-Everything from Brawl
-Remakes of every 64/Melee level
-Leon Kennedy, Midna, Megaman, Tails, others
-Mario Kart Wii's online with WiiSpeak support
-Galaxy gravity level and kill the FLUDD
-Real DLC would be nice

Pretty much it.

leroidys

Yoshi franchise:

-yoshi
-kamek

Zelda franchise

-zelda
-sheik (separate character)
-gannon (with real moves)
-toon link (with a better name and wind waker/four swords/minish cap moves)
-skull kid
-midna (best new zelda character in a long time + female rep)

Azure J

Something that was just brought up in the GAF WFC channel. We need to have an option to choose which songs play on what level. The Mega Man X Intro Stage theme (16 bit version) on Final Destination would be poetic justice.

KevinCow

Banned
I want Final Smashes incorporated as a standard part of the fighting system and not an item, and I want them to be properly balanced. The Final Smashes in Brawl are way too powerful. When they're on, it seems like most KOs come from who is able to get the Smash Ball. And the ones that aren't ridiculously overpowered are ridiculously underpowered, like Mario and DK.

PBalfredo

The next new Mother series rep needs to be The Masked Man
a.k.a. Claus

Especially after having my heart broken that he wasn't in Brawl. Everything seemed perfect for it too; Brawl had Lucas, the Franklin Badge, New Pork City and Porky, but no Masked Man. That's like having Luke Skywalker, lightsabers, the Second Death Star and the Emperor, but no Darth Vader

-Winnie-

Phoenix Wright playable would be fucking sweet. Or at the very least as an assist trophy with a courtroom stage and some of the Ace Attorney series soundtrack included.

Top Bottom