• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon (Directed By David Bowie's Son + Starring Sam Rockwell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGN has posted a new trailer for Duncan Jones’ (son of David Bowie) first film, Moon. It stars Sam Rockwell (Frost/Nixon, Choke).

Check out the TRAILER in High Definition on YouTube

Rottenwatch

Plot: Astronaut Sam Bell has a quintessentially personal encounter toward the end of his three-year stint on the Moon, where he, working alongside his computer, GERTY, sends back to Earth parcels of a resource that has helped diminish our planet’s power problems.

The film hits theaters June 12th, 2009.

- [Exclusive Interview] Duncan Jones (Director of ‘Moon’)

Looks great! What do you guys think?

Rayo

Banned
I saw it at the Film Festival in cleveland. It was pretty good.
It's kind of predictable

master15

I really like Rockwell, but I sort of need a break from his shtick after Choke. I have to say this looks incredibly derivative from the trailers...

JavaMava

Looks cool. From the trailer it looks like the similarities of 2001 are more of a satire/homage than a rip off and the focus is on some sort of crossed time lines with himself.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
DanielPlainview said:
We have an exclusive 1 on 1 interview with the director next week! Any questions anyone would like to ask?
What's it like being David Bowie's son? What's his favorite Bowie album? Can I meet his father, David Bowie?

Ford Prefect said:
What's it like being David Bowie's son? What's his favorite Bowie album? Can I meet his father, David Bowie?

:lol I'm going to try and stray away from the Bowie questions since I'm sure every single person asks him that. Will try and focus strictly on the film.

DanielPlainview said:
We have an exclusive 1 on 1 interview with the director next week! Any questions anyone would like to ask?
Ask him about the 2001 influence.

Also, ask him why his dad put It Ain't Easy on Ziggy Stardust.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
DanielPlainview said:

You're going to e-mail him questions that can only be answered by linking back to your website, aren't you.

Has a Sunshine feel to it, I'm definitely interested.

DanielPlainview said:
Just found out Clint Mansell does the entire original score for this film! HOLY SHIT. Hype increased tenfold.

Holy crap now I'm more than interested. Clint Mansell is a God.

DanielPlainview said:

Since his movie is about the Moon, ask him a scientific question, like whether he thinks the moon was captured by earth's gravity, or whether it formed along with the Earth.

fortified_concept said:
Has a Sunshine feel to it, I'm definitely interested.

Yeah I got a Sunshine vibe, and it made my privates tingle. I fucking love that movie.

Thanks for the questions guys! Will post the interview here after it is done :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just read that the movie uses practical effects and Clint Mansell scored the music. That's an automatic day fucking one for me.

Ask him about the 2001 influence.
I'd say that Outland was one of the main influences. Some of the clothes are very 80's-like.

Funky Papa said:
I just read that the movie uses practical effects and Clint Mansell scored the music. That's an automatic day fucking one for me.

I'd say that Outland was one of the main influences. Some of the clothes are very 80's-like.

yep, he actually used a lot of miniatures with some post production polish. He actually will answer anyone's questions on twitter: http://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon

DanielPlainview said:

What sort of process did you go through before you decided on Sam Rockwell to play the main character? Did any of his other acting roles in particular lead you towards choosing him?

Inevitably, the film will be compared to other staples in the sci-fi genre such as 2001 and Sunshine. How do you feel this film stands apart from them?

I agree that Choke was pretty dull, but I've been rooting for sam rockwell since matchstick men. I'm always happy to see him in more roles.

DanielPlainview said:
I fucking loved Choke, I don't get the hate. I recently checked it out on DVD.

The friends i saw it with abhorred it. I just thought it was mediocre - not very funny, not very dramatic, annoying flashbacks, not especially likeable characters. Just...mediocre, for me.

master15

starchild excalibur said:
The friends i saw it with abhorred it. I just thought it was mediocre - not very funny, not very dramatic, annoying flashbacks, not especially likeable characters. Just...mediocre, for me.

My problem was Rockwell was regurgitating pretty much same performance from confessions of a dangerous mind, it just seemed like we had seen him in similar situation before, not to mention the film really missed a lot in its adaptation.

Cheebs

Make sure to call him by his real name Zowie Bowie. Duncan Jones is just a nick name he made up to use because his dad is crazy (and awesome). And yes Zowie Bowie is his real name

Seriously call him ZOWIE BOWIE. It'd be awesome.

Door2Dawn

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Ask him if he's bisexual like his dad
th_smh-1.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tell me why Duncan Jones being the son of David Bowie is at all relevant or worth noting? Way to insult his accomplishments by referring to him through his father and distracting from the film.

Dan said:
Tell me why Duncan Jones being the son of David Bowie is at all relevant or worth noting? Way to insult his accomplishments by referring to him through his father and distracting from the film.
Easy there, Billy Bob.

Cheebs

PhoenixDark said:
Ask him if he's bisexual like his dad
Bowie is straight.
In 1993, he made the claim that he had always been a "closet heterosexual", and that his interest in homosexual and bisexual culture was more a product of the times and situation than his own feelings. Bowie stated, "It wasn't something I was comfortable with at all.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Cheebs said:
Make sure to call him by his real name Zowie Bowie. Duncan Jones is just a nick name he made up to use because his dad is crazy (and awesome). And yes Zowie Bowie is his real name

Seriously call him ZOWIE BOWIE. It'd be awesome.
Oh my god, I knew about Zowie Bowie but I didn't know it was this guy. Awesome!

Dan said:
I was already interested in the film, personally. I think it's a fascinating bit o' trivia and I'm glad I'm aware of it. Probably not thread title worthy, but so what.

In 1993, he made the claim that he had always been a "closet heterosexual", and that his interest in homosexual and bisexual culture was more a product of the times and situation than his own feelings. Bowie stated, "It wasn't something I was comfortable with at all.
What a pussy.

Hey, Sam Rockwell is a good addition to the "Actor You Thought Would Have Made It Big By Now (or whatever it's called)" thread, if not already posted, and I'm too lazy to search for anyway.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Cosmic Bus said:
You're going to e-mail him questions that can only be answered by linking back to your website, aren't you.
I love you, man.

Ford Prefect said:
I was already interested in the film, personally. I think it's a fascinating bit o' trivia and I'm glad I'm aware of it. Probably not thread title worthy, but so what.
I'm not yelling at you, I'm yelling at the one who put it in the damn thread title.

Walshicus

starchild excalibur said:
Inevitably, the film will be compared to other staples in the sci-fi genre such as 2001 and Sunshine. How do you feel this film stands apart from them?
Sunshine. A staple of the sci-fi genre. What?

xbhaskarx

I was keeping track of all the 2001 references when watching the trailer and ran out of fingers.

Why would someone go by Duncan Jones when their name is Zowie Bowie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom