• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the ANNO 1404 (DAWN OF DISCOVERY) |OT|

Release Date in NA for all 3 games:
June 23th, 2009 (this tuesday)

Plot Summary:
Dawn of Discovery takes place in the year 1404, when King George's land is suffering from severe droughts and brutal famine. Aware of his people's distress, the king calls on his two sons, William and Edward, to acquire new territories in order to produce enough goods to satisfy the needs of his empire's inhabitants. Whereas Edward suggests aggressive means to collect the precious resources, his brother William offers a peaceful solution, proposing to explore new and unsettled lands in the south of the kingdom. With his father's blessing, William heads south to the mysterious Orient and returns with valuable new technologies such as the water pump, which allows dry lands to be cultivated to produce enough food for the people. But there are still many unmet needs within the king's empire, and players are tasked with the mission of fulfilling those needs while both expanding and sustaining the vast society.

PC game:
51L9Zhxgg5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Anno 1404 is the sequel to Anno 1701 and is a real-time strategy and city-building game developed by Sunflowers Interactive and published by Ubisoft. The game is called DAWN OF DISCOVERY in North America.

Wii and DS game:
51RZ6jdRPaL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

61fJXDUdNfL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Reviews of Wii game:
ONM UK - 84%
IGN UK - 8.7/10 http://wii.ign.com/articles/984/984846p1.html
Given the distinct lack of RTS games on the system, even a perfunctory port of Anno would be welcome on Wii. Quite unexpectedly though, Ubisoft has delivered a game that’s been thoughtfully designed around the strengths of Nintendo’s system, delivering an experience that retains the essence and depth of the long-running series while streamlining it to offer a pacier, more accessible twist on the familiar formula, replacing unnecessary complexity with gameplay breadth. By shunning the micro-management elements of the series, Create a New World mightn’t be enough to satiate genre fans raised on PC offerings. However, anyone looking for an engaging, involving alternative to typically lightweight Wii fare should be delighted by Anno’s bright, breezy and beautifully presented Wii debut.

PC Demo is out now.
http://www.gamershell.com/news_78538.html

Personally, I think all 3 version look great. I really like the graphic style and intricate differences of all three. Obviously, the DS/Wii versions will be more stream-lined and have a more colourful look but overall I cannot wait!

Screens:

DS:
959625_20090422_screen001.jpg

959625_20090422_screen019.jpg

Wii:
958390_20090302_screen001.jpg

958390_20090302_screen002.jpg

PC:
anno-1404-screenshot-big.jpg

952498_20080820_embed002.jpg

I was deadset on buying this, but seeing those Wii shots right beside the PC shots really bums me out.

On the other hand, it's only $30 right?

Doytch

dorkimoe said:
just got the demo of 1701, because everyone on gaf keeps posting pictures of it, and it looks great

The demo of 1404 came out today...soooo.... :D

Played it for a few minutes tonight while on the phone, so I wasn't really paying much attention. Looks great though! Gonna put some more time into it over the weekend.

dionysus

Yaldog
PC Strategy and Sim GAF seem to be pretty high on it, and they have never been wrong before. I by that I mean they are high on the first game.

Blizzard

Banned
Installing the demo now. The DRM language in the license agreement scares me, but I'm going to wipe out this Win7 beta install soon anyway, so eh. :lol

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
Installing the demo now. The DRM language in the license agreement scares me, but I'm going to wipe out this Win7 beta install soon anyway, so eh. :lol

Ugh, I wonder what their DRM will be. I hope it's just the Steam one, with unlimited activation.

Blizzard

Banned
The license agreement mentions that the DRM "may limit installs" and "install additional software" necessary.

Okay, with Win7 beta, e8400, 4GB RAM, 4850, it is JERKY even on "high" settings. The intro videos are even jerky. Trying in 1280x720 windowed now... *edit* The game actually seems smoother than the intro. It eats my system alive in 1280x720 though...my fan speed is up to a loud 73%, and I'm trying to get the temperature below 80C. It looks pretty, though!

Last thoughts before bed:
I've never played these games before. Voice acting sounds good, music is great, graphics are nice. If I find a way to play the demo in fullscreen without my computer dying, so I can actually read the text, it might be fun! :D

GameGamer

Blizzard said:
The license agreement mentions that the DRM "may limit installs" and "install additional software" necessary.

I really wanted this gameon PC. But I'm not going to be told the amount of installs I can make. I might just stick with the DS version.

Zzoram

GameGamer said:
I really wanted this gameon PC. But I'm not going to be told the amount of installs I can make. I might just stick with the DS version.

Note that just because the license says "may", doesn't mean they'll go through with any restrictive DRM. I think all software licenses say that on PC.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Been playing the demo, the game is gorgeous and great fun.

Game is running really smooth for me on the highest settings my system is hardly a juggernaut these days.

e8500, 4GB Ram and a 4870 512. this is also with 2x AA and 8x AF.

Kabouter

Deacan said:
Been playing the demo, the game is gorgeous and great fun.

Game is running really smooth for me on the highest settings my system is hardly a juggernaut these days.

e8500, 4GB Ram and a 4870 512. this is also with 2x AA and 8x AF.
What resolution? That's exactly my desktop, would be nice to know how it runs :p.

Dina

Heard they toned the goods-tree down compared to 1701, is that true? In any case, I'll try this later tonight.

Deacan

Kabouter said:
What resolution? That's exactly my desktop, would be nice to know how it runs :p.

Not very high, only 1440 x 900, but I think I could push the res higher if my monitor could take it, however dont expect to run it at 1080p with a 4870 512.

Zzoram said:
Ugh, I wonder what their DRM will be. I hope it's just the Steam one, with unlimited activation.

TAGES Copy Protection combined with a 3x install limit without revoke. You have to contact the customer service.

There is a HUGE discussion in the official German forum.

BTW The game doesn't include Multiplayer as well and if the did not change anything since the beta the AI is not that great (according to some forum members)

For everyone who has a Wii, buy this game instead. It's so so great and looks beautiful.

Caesar III said:
TAGES Copy Protection combined with a 3x install limit without revoke. You have to contact the customer service.

Hopefully other markets will have more consumer-friendly methods implemented in their retail copies or over DD as I'd hate to miss Anno due to something like this. Once I grab Riddick over Steam, Sacred 2 will be the only game I don't have due to DRM and I'm hoping that it will be the last.

maxmars

Caesar III said:

BTW The game doesn't include Multiplayer as well and if the did not change anything since the beta the AI is not that great (according to some forum members)

For everyone who has a Wii, buy this game instead. It's so so great and looks beautiful.

Yeah I did exactly that. I was about to get all three versions, but I think I'll skip the PC one (sadly, as I LOVE these games, but I have EU III to keep me busy).

The previous DS game was really good, played it the whole summer in skirmish mode and loved every moment.

Druz

Caesar III said:

I enjoyed the demo but this post scared me away from a purchase. Byebye Ubisoft.

just to make sure noone make me responsible for this :lol

http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1956896/anno_1404_kopierschutz_online_aktivierung.html

with short translation:
Anno 1404 verwendet den aktuellen Kopierschutz von TAGES. Dieser verlangt, dass Sie Ihren persönlichen Installations-Keycode, der gut sichtbar auf dem Handbuch-Cover aufgedruckt ist, pro Rechner einmalig online übertragen. Anno-Spieler ohne Internet-Zugang schauen in die Röhre. Ärgerlich: Der entsprechende Hinweis befindet sich auf der Rückseite der Verpackung und ist fast nur mit der Lupe zu entziffern.
- Tages is used
- product key on manual cover
- has to be transfered once per PC
- PCs without internet are borked
- it's only written super small on the back of the case

Jedes Spiel können Sie auf drei unterschiedlichen Rechnern aktivieren, danach müssen Sie sich an den Support von Ubisoft wenden. Neu-Aktivierungen werden allerdings auch fällig, wenn Sie bei einem Rechner entscheidende Komponenten wie das Mainboard oder den Prozessor wechseln. Ein Austauschen von Arbeitsspeicher oder der Grafikkarte soll dagegen laut Ubisoft problemlos funktionieren. Eine Reaktivier-Funktion wie etwa bei Sacred 2 ist nicht eingebaut. Immerhin: Wer Anno 1404 einmal aktiviert hat, kann das Spiel künftig auch offline und ohne DVD starten.
- can be installed on 3 different pcs
- after that contact the support
- reactivation when changing critical pc parts as well
- revoce not included
- play without dvd after install

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Kabouter got me enthused for Anno-games, started out on the Wii, decided it was too limited for my taste, went and got 1701 and WTFZOMGBBQ shit is addictive. Def looking forward to 1404.

Actually played the Anno 1701 add on last weekend. Played like 14 hours straight and time went by and i didn't even notice it. The games are that good.

But a big FU to Ubisoft for the DRM in the new Anno.I can understand that they don't want to lose sales (the game will be a juggernaut saleswise in Europe), but that is some restrictive shit. Hopefully it will be on Steam day one. But on the other hand, the limited edition is nice too. Decision, decisions, decisions :lol

Quasar

Caesar III said:
just to make sure noone make me responsible for this :lol

http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1956896/anno_1404_kopierschutz_online_aktivierung.html

with short translation:

- Tages is used

- revoce not included

Gah.

They do know that's just going to drive people to get cracked copies right. Idiots.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Quasar said:
Gah.

They do know that's just going to drive people to get cracked copies right. Idiots.

Nah, the only way to combat piracy is to crank up the protection. Just look at Sims 3.

owh wait!

markot

Banned
>_< Thats annoying... I love 1701.

I really hope the steam version has none of that sillyness... if there is a steam version...

But this is the kind of stuff that is just over the top drm wise, the kind that makes me think twice about buying it, and I generally dont care too much about drm.

Blizzard

Banned
Came here to post the DRM stuff, people already posted it.

Hopefully there is a Steam version without it, that would suck otherwise. Even EA does 5 installs and has the revoker utility.

Also, is there any way to zoom/rotate more than the three default levels?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Fucking DRM bullshit. I'll buy it regardless but I'm praying there is a Steam version.

Haunted

What a bummer about these PC DRM reports.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Well, the DS is equivalent to PS1/N64 power. The Wii is roughly equivalent to PS2/Xbox/GC power. The PC's power is equivalent to being touched by God himself.
:p

It's all well-known and documented and shouldn't surprise anyone at this point (which "startling" implies). :)

Xater

BTW I can also recommecd the DS game. I palyed it for some time now and it's really well done. I guess it's basically the same as the Wii game but with less graphical fidelity.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
3 activations without revoke?

wow. will buy on steam if ubi don't gouge europe open to goatse proportions.

Deacan

ghst said:
3 activations without revoke?

wow. will buy on steam if ubi don't gouge europe open to goatse proportions.

I can already see Ubi price tag of £35 if it hits Steam, Can buy it for about £23 on disc but the use of draconian DRM is putting me off, it feels like they are punishing legitimate buyers.

dk_

Caesar III said:

- revoce not included
:lol :lol :lol

Not very clever.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Deacan said:
I can already see Ubi price tag of £35 if it hits Steam, Can buy it for about £23 on disc but the use of draconian DRM is putting me off, it feels like they are punishing legitimate buyers.

i guess it'll be time to call in a cross atlantic paypal favour.

zoku88

Ugh, comes out on my bday but im not even in the country! Well, would have probably passed for a while because of stupid DRM.

Crye

Loving the demo (why does it have to be timed T.T), but unfortunately I won't be buying the game with that kind of DRM.

Hoping it sells well and gets some kind of special release or something later down the line without the DRM. I'd get Steam if it hit a deal but I ain't paying full retail steam prices for something digital. :-/
DS version is as good as bought though :D

Doytch

Fucking hell, guess Rage3d was right after all.

Waiting til the Steam version if it doesn't have the DRM. Passing if it does. This DRM is beyond retarded.

Top Bottom