• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bjork's store, 2003-2009 RIP (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

So the anime shop closed up a few months ago, on April 1. Boss basically just quit paying rent and let us get evicted. It was wild because the eviction process apparently takes a couple of months to make happen in CA, so every day we would wait for the final notice and it wouldn't show. This also meant that we had to explain why we were closing about 500000000x to people who'd go "aw man, that sucks, I love this store", but they would never buy anything.

We got evicted so we had the last day of business on April 1 and had the store cleared out by noon on April 2. I've been back by there recently and there's nothing in the spot still. I don't miss the customers so much or not being able to pee for hours on end, but I do miss my coworkers and the general routine of it. I guess I kinda miss the random shit that happened there too, but not so much.

Anyway, I figured that I'd post some pics I took of the place, for fun. I know people had posted before that they either wanted to come, or imagined it looking a certain way, so now you can see what you totally weren't missing out on, heh. I think most of the pictures are from around June of 2008 aside from the FFAC one, and then some are more towards closing.

It wasn't a very big place, but it was home for a long time.

09-19-05_1511.jpg

DSC02128.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02102.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

DSC02106.jpg

DSC02108.jpg

DSC02109.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02112.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

DSC02118.jpg

DSC02119.jpg

DSC02120.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02122.jpg

DSC02123.jpg

DSC02117.jpg

DSC02124.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

DSC02126.jpg

DSC02127.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02132.jpg

goodbyesign.jpg

riphell-1.jpg

bjork

Kaako said:
RIP...where's the hentai section though? ;P

Like the 10th picture down, just the top shelf between the hanging plushes of Inuyasha's brother and Piplup. It was way longer at one point (we had DVDs running down that entire long wall and the hentai ran the entire top shelf), but once sales dipped, so did what we carried. Don't think I have any pics of it at maximum density.

bjork

rexor0717 said:
Where was the store located?

Tyler Galleria in Riverside CA. A couple of folks here knew where it was, but aside from Serafitia allegedly visiting it, I don't know of any gaffers visiting. I always kept it on the downlow before, but now it's an empty hole, so I guess it doesn't matter.

madara

Thats kinda sad :( But perhaps it's a blessing as you would have be sued for spoiling FF7 to thousands of virgins.

bjork said:
Tyler Galleria in Riverside CA. A couple of folks here knew where it was, but aside from Serafitia allegedly visiting it, I don't know of any gaffers visiting. I always kept it on the downlow before, but now it's an empty hole, so I guess it doesn't matter.

You would have gotten some GAF business if you told us.

rexor0717

bjork said:
Oh, for a second, I thought I had been to that shop before. I guess not.

A store like that would never be sustainable in my town.

Prices would probably have to be high, and anime isn't exactly known to be cheap.

HUELEN10

I SO would have been a regular there. It seems to have had the kind of shit I buy on a bi-monthly basis. Now that it is closed, what are you doing for a living?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
vas_a_morir said:
You would have gotten some GAF business if you told us.
Easily man. Bjork you should've spilled the beans on the location sooner man. I'm sure West Coast GAF would represent.

Zyzyxxz

Good luck on the Maui job hunt, lots of businesses have closed up during this recession in my town there are a good amount of closed up shops so I'm not surprised your shop closed down with what seemed like a small amount of customers you guys had.

madara

I loved malls as kid in 80s, I cant imagine its anything but a hard sell now? I mean our local mall has been a ghost town for 3 years and only gets worse :( There would have to be an amazing discount on rental space.

bjork

HUELEN10 said:
I SO would have been a regular there. It seems to have had the kind of shit I buy on a bi-monthly basis. Now that it is closed, what are you doing for a living?

I went back to work for the grocery company I worked for pre-anime days. I'm doing the liquor department and throwing some night crew as well. Got a phone interview for a state job with HI next Wednesday, if I get that then it's party time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
bjork said:
I know where that is. I never bothered to go in there, though. I didn't know you worked there.

DMczaf

bjork said:

WTF, I didn't know it was in Riverside. I could have visited you when I go down there to see my sister!

bjork

Rewrite said:
I know where that is. I never bothered to go in there, though. I didn't know you worked there.

I think a lot of the customers liked it better when I didn't work there for awhile tbh. :lol

DMczaf said:
WTF, I didn't know it was in Riverside. I could have visited you when I go down there to see my sister!

Just a missed opportunity. We could've met at Venus Burger too but I think they closed up. :\

YYZ

Nicest, most organized anime shop I've seen, especially for the amount of trinkets and figurines. Most anime shops have shitty shelves and everything is dark. Here it is bright and welcoming, as if you guys enjoy sunlight.

McLovin

:O ps1 games... :O!!! Chrono Cross I so would have bought that!! That store is/was awesome.. the closest thing we have to that where I live is the hentai/anime section at fye :(

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Shit I might have gone there if Ontario Mills and Victoria Gardens weren't better malls.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If I was into anime, that store would bring a nerdgasm. Luckily I'm not, so it looks kind of creepy. R.I.P.

bjork

One of my last projects at the store was mostly for my own amusement to kill time on really dead days: build a rubber band ball. I'd never done it before, but wanted to try.

rbball.jpg

rbball2.jpg

rbball3.jpg

rbball328.jpg

^ that's as far as it got because we closed a few days later. Still got it at home with about 3/4 of a bag of rubber bands left. Will finish it sometime soon. :)

Arol

I went to this store when I ran out of quarters from the arcade that used to be in front of it.

I bought all my OP volumes from this store.

I remember I asked once if the OP flag was for sale and someone at the counter said no. I asked where they got it from and they didn't answer me.

bjork

Arol said:
I went to this store when I ran out of quarters from the arcade that used to be in front of it.

I bought all my OP volumes from this store.

I remember I asked once if the OP flag was for sale and someone at the counter said no. I asked where they got it from and they didn't answer me.

:lol :lol :lol

I used to HATE it when people would come from Tilt and want to buy a pocky with a $20 just to get change. But that flag was mine, I'm glad no one sold it. It's in my closet atm. :)

fistfulofmetal said:
An entire store of weirdo japanese anime crap and the strangest thing out of it all is the computer's desktop wallpaper.

My thoughts exactly.

And those mario figures look awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom