• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bjork's store, 2003-2009 RIP (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, the Tokyo Toys in London is a bit shitty, they have sod all.
Also all the Anime shops are expensive as hell. Not that they ever have anything worth buying aside from the usual Final Fantasy crap and Deathnote etc etc.

NotWii

Banned
bjork said:
Tyler Galleria in Riverside CA. A couple of folks here knew where it was, but aside from Serafitia allegedly visiting it, I don't know of any gaffers visiting. I always kept it on the downlow before, but now it's an empty hole, so I guess it doesn't matter.
"Riverside's a bust!"

"PILLS HERE!"

Diablos

bjork, that's a really awesome store. Too bad it closed. Seems like it would be a fun place to work. Very impressive fitting all of that merch in such a small place and presenting it so nicely. I wanna shop there :(

bjork

Diablos said:
bjork, that's a really awesome store. Too bad it closed. Seems like it would be a fun place to work. Very impressive fitting all of that merch in such a small place and presenting it so nicely. I wanna shop there :(

That's the power of OCD. :lol

soultron

Banned
I'm amazed you guys held so much inventory, considering the fact that most of that stuff is very, very niche. Amazing how you guys packed it all in there.

Yaweee

bjork said:
Tyler Galleria in Riverside CA. A couple of folks here knew where it was, but aside from Serafitia allegedly visiting it, I don't know of any gaffers visiting. I always kept it on the downlow before, but now it's an empty hole, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Holy shit, I knew those pictures looked familiar! I went in the store once, about two and a half years ago. It kind of freaked me out.

rexor0717

DrForester said:
Man, that's alot of stock your store kept. My local anime shop doesn't keep nearly that much.
I wish I had a local anime shop. All the ones around me closed down. I bought stuff from them all the time, but I guess not many of them survive.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It was a lot more impressive when it was shrouded in the mists of legend and imagination.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How eactly do you start the elestic band ball? I've thought about doing it but how do you get the shape at the beginning?

mike23

Ryck said:
Rolled up paper ball...

Wrong, that's a fail rubber band ball.

There are a couple ways to do it, you knot up a few rubber bands or just grab some of them and squish them into a ball

bjork

NinjaFridge said:
How eactly do you start the elestic band ball? I've thought about doing it but how do you get the shape at the beginning?

I knotted a few together at their ends so they'd stay together, then balled them up and started wrapping them in other rubber bands. I had a couple of hours in before it really felt like it had the right shape.

bjork

aceface said:
My wife always talks about opening an anime store but I can't see any way that it would make money.

You'd have to consistently have regulars who follow a bunch of series at once, or do some kind of community outreach with schools so they kids knew your were there. And even then, it's only gonna prosper on a "stack em high, sell em cheap" philosophy. There's not enough margin on books or dvds to rely solely on that, but with proper ordering you can have related merchandise and make good money off that stuff (figures, plushies, etc). It's definitely a headache though.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
That entire store looks like the set of the next Kevin Smith movie. Awesome. :lol

and yeah, i'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed the computer desktop

C.Dark.DN

Banned
bjork said:
You'd have to consistently have regulars who follow a bunch of series at once, or do some kind of community outreach with schools so they kids knew your were there. And even then, it's only gonna prosper on a "stack em high, sell em cheap" philosophy. There's not enough margin on books or dvds to rely solely on that, but with proper ordering you can have related merchandise and make good money off that stuff (figures, plushies, etc). It's definitely a headache though.
It seems like the only people who would follow multiple series's would be internet savvy and know better deals online.

bjork

Ryck said:
I've been to that store... are you asian Bjork?

Nah. You either saw the owner or one of the two guys that worked there some years ago.

Ryck said:
so were you the guy with the pony tail then?

I had one for awhile, yeah.

DeathNote said:
It seems like the only people who would follow multiple series's would be internet savvy and know better deals online.

It would make sense, but there's people that simply won't shop online. Some of my people wouldn't even walk to the best buy down the street, nor to the suncoast in the same mall (when it was still open too), and pay more to buy at our store. I had regulars that would spend like $3-500 per week on stuff, and then when the economy dipped and they got laid off, like $10 on snacks. And people like the old hentai guy, just didn't use a computer at all. All cash, no fuss.

But in most areas, yeah. I always wondered why people didn't just watch on YT or something.

flsh

Banned
I remember old hentai guy :lol
Where would he buy hentai now? And did he really buy everything on your hentai catalog?

And put that One Piece flag somewhere it belongs, not in the closet!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
bjork said:
I went back to work for the grocery company I worked for pre-anime days. I'm doing the liquor department and throwing some night crew as well. Got a phone interview for a state job with HI next Wednesday, if I get that then it's party time.
Well, if it's anything like the rest of the state jobs here, you won't have to do shit, yet still get some keen benefits.

Siyou

welcome back Bjork. Never really messaged you before since I joined after you got banned. Read a lot of your stories though back before I had an account :lol :lol

so what will happen with all the unsold stuff?

Woooooah, cool. It's nicer than I always imagined it, but I'd only ever seen some close ups of stuff like the figure cabinet in the middle of the store.

The first thing I looked for were the PSP games you said never sold and sure enough there's good ol' NBA PSP! And lol @ the Texas Hold Em game for GBA that was way overprinted. I see that everywhere for like $5-$10. You had to have gotten those for CHEAP.

Belfast

bjork said:
:lol :lol :lol

I used to HATE it when people would come from Tilt and want to buy a pocky with a $20 just to get change. But that flag was mine, I'm glad no one sold it. It's in my closet atm. :)

Tilt, LAWL.

Good on you for keeping the flag. Never was able to buy one at the few cons I went to (too damn expensive or they only had one that got sold early), but I still have a sweet beach towel!

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
nice store.

what happened to all the stock after you closed down?

also, glad somebody calls her Aeris, fucking gaf got me confused calling her Aerith when I thought I remembered her as Aeris.

Eteric Rice

Man, that sucks that it closed. It looks like a cool place. I'd have loved it if there were a place like that down here.

GODDAM YOU EVEN HAVE GODZILLA VINYLS FUCK. :(

Sad to see the business close. It looked pretty cool, but I seriously wouldn't want to step inside. It reeks of otaku-ness. The business would have been better served as an online retailer. All my anime purchases are done online and I would have supported you guys 100% if you had an online retail store.

way more

How much you want to bet that if you go the the mall you'll see Bjork there, hanging around an old abandoned store front until security asks him to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom