• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition Official Thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:
bannerdefault.jpg

What is The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/secretofmonkeyislandsexbla/

Pirates! Adventure! Monkeys! Relive the hilarious swashbuckling misadventures of the wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood as he attempts to become the most infamous pirate in the Caribbean! Back by popular demand, The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition faithfully re-imagines the internationally-acclaimed classic pirate adventure game from LucasArts in gorgeous HD detail.

Featuring an all new re-imagined contemporary art style, hand-drawn and presented in 1080p, complete voice over by members of the original Monkey Island™ franchise cast, a re-mastered musical score using live instruments, plus scene-for scene-hot swap to seamlessly transition between Special Edition and Classic modes at anytime.

* Hilarious swashbuckling misadventures: Embark on a bumbling misadventure in an attempt to become the most infamous pirate in the Caribbean, win the heart of the beautiful governor, Elaine Marley, and confront the evil ghost pirate, LeChuck!
* High-definition graphics: The game is all-new and re-imagined with a contemporary art style, hand-drawn and presented in 1080p.
* Voiceover talent: Complete voice over using original Monkey Island franchise cast members brings the story and characters to life like never before.
* Renewed music score: Enjoy the re-mastered and re-recorded musical score using live instruments.
* Special Edition and Classic modes: Scene-for-scene hot swap lets you seamlessly transition between Special Edition and Classic modes at anytime during gameplay.
* Enhanced gameplay: The all-new intuitive game interface and controls provide a more interactive gameplay experience.
* Hint system: Not sure what to do next? The in-game puzzle hint system keeps the puzzles fresh and fun.

PC System Specs

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/

o OS: Windows XP® or Windows Vista®
o Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3000+
o Memory: 256 MB RAM, 512 MB for Vista
o Graphics: 128 MB with Shader Model 2.0 capability
o DirectX®: 9.0c (March 2009)
o Hard Drive: 2.5GB free hard drive space
o Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compliant sound card
o Controller support: Xbox 360 controller

iPhone Version Details

Itunes Link

2ldg5t0.jpg

14y2znn.jpg

5dscxl.jpg

Monkey Island Wall-Paper for the idevice.

2rejqmg.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Release Date and Price

http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames

Monkey Island: Special Edition: 800 MS points on XBLA, and $9.99 on Steam for PC. Not shabby, eh? Hits on the 15th (Wednesday!)

Interviews:

Gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/video/960369/6210375

Videogamer.com Video Interview
http://www.videogamer.com/videos/the_secret_of_monkey_island_special_edition_video_interview.html

The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/jun/28/games1

Monkey Island Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Monke...3#/pages/Monkey-Island-Adventures/78883723363

Lucasarts Twitter Feed
http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames

Video:

Justin.TV Video Walkthrough Part 1
http://www.justin.tv/clip/51614f11159958be

Justin.TV Video Walkthrough Part 2
http://www.justin.tv/clip/e2ed2efb16b700d7

Justin.TV Video Walkthrough Part 3
http://www.justin.tv/clip/9fc63696aa02f759

Justin.TV Video Walkthrough Part 4
http://www.justin.tv/clip/2e48e093c9479bed

Spoiler Alert: The Walkthrough goes through the entire game, watch at your own risk.

Screenshots:

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000349364.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000405910.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000416035.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000433034.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000435472.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000454221.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000509736.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000403020.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000410895.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition--20090601000451502.jpg

Previews:

TeamXbox
http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2372/The-Secret-of-Monkey-Island-Special-Edition/p1/

Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5278880/the-secre...ition-impressions-fall-in-love-all-over-again

Gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/thesecretofmonkeyislandspecialedition/news.html?sid=6210601

WorthPlaying
http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=352233

Achievements:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition/achievements/

Secret Achievements

Secret Achievement 25
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement.

Secret Achievement 25

Secret Achievement 25

Secret Achievement 45

Secret Achievement 15

Secret Achievement 10

Secret Achievement 10

Secret Achievement 10

Secret Achievement 10

Secret Achievement 5

Secret Achievement 10

Secret Achievement 10

Reviews: Pending

Google

I predict this thread will be full of idiotic posts complaining about Guybrush's hair, as well as the fact that Lucasarts should die a horrible death for not allowing you to play the original game with the latest voiceover.

In any case, I'm excited.

ultron87

Oh for the days when LeChuck was simpy a ghost pirate.

As long as the pricing is fair I'll be sure to pick this up.

Haunted

Love the backgrounds, love that they've done all new voicework for it.

Hate the new models (design and animation) and the close-ups.

Can't imagine playing this with a pad, so if I get it, it'd be on PC, naturally.

Man oh man. I don't know if I should go through first with the original look or the newer look. I may go with the newer this time around as I did just play through it a few years ago.

Darklord

Banned
After playing Tales of Monkey Island, I want more, more, MORE!

Watching the first minute of that walkthrough though makes me wonder why the hell they kept the janky animation. It really sticks out in the HD mode and looks like it just has a bad frame rate.

I'm not here to just outright shit on the new graphics, but I really would like to honestly and in good faith recommend that newcomers to this series please play the game in its original form first.

The graphics are obviously much lower resolution, but it's worth bearing in mind how much more time and effort went into them as the original conception of this game. There's also a certain muted quality that comes with the less-cartoonish proportions of the original pixel art that I think is extremely important to the tone of the first two Monkey Island games. That was essentially discarded with the (still good, but very different) cel-animated look of Curse of Monkey Island. (I'm obviously most heavily referring to the characters here, which are the biggest change in both the special edition graphics and over the course of the series.)

This is also relevant to the presence of voice acting. I think Dom Armato works great as the voice actor for Guybrush as depicted in Monkey Island 3 onward, but the Guybrush of Monkey Island 1 and 2 is much more a cypher--he's less of a defined, snarky character, and more of a slightly ambiguous vessel. To me that characterization very much ties in with the unusual tone of the first two games that I mentioned above.

Basically, to me, Monkey 1 and 2 versus Monkey 3+ are like the difference between Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride, and Pirates of the Caribbean, the films. The former is more dated, but it's also stronger atmospherically and more ambiguous in terms of what is actually being depicted and implied. The latter is much more polished and exciting in a traditional sense, but also allows for less interpretation.

Just as a warning, a lot of these opinions take Monkey Island 2 into account heavily, and aren't quite as meaningful purely in the context of Monkey 1 on its own, but I'm guessing LucasArts is going to release that one too, either in special edition form or just as a Steam re-release, so, again, for newcomers, I think it's very much worth playing this game in its original state under the assumption that you will eventually play its incredible sequel.

Minsc

Gold Member
A 3ghz processor is needed for this?! Really? That's more than the Tales of Monkey Island, which actually runs in 3D.

The 256 megs of ram looks really out of line w/ that processor requirement. On PCs, 3 ghz is usually paired with 2 gigs of ram.

LiK

Chris Remo said:
I'm not here to just outright shit on the new graphics, but I really would like to honestly and in good faith recommend that newcomers to this series please play the game in its original form first.

The graphics are obviously much lower resolution, but it's worth bearing in mind how much more time and effort went into them as the original conception of this game. There's also a certain muted quality that comes with the less-cartoonish proportions of the original pixel art that I think is extremely important to the tone of the first two Monkey Island games. That was essentially discarded with the (still good, but very different) cel-animated look of Curse of Monkey Island. (I'm obviously most heavily referring to the characters here, which are the biggest change in both the special edition graphics and over the course of the series.)

This is also relevant to the presence of voice acting. I think Dom Armato works great as the voice actor for Guybrush as depicted in Monkey Island 3 onward, but the Guybrush of Monkey Island 1 and 2 is much more a cypher--he's less of a defined, snarky character, and more of a slightly ambiguous vessel. To me that characterization very much ties in with the unusual tone of the first two games that I mentioned above.

Basically, to me, Monkey 1 and 2 versus Monkey 3+ are like the different between Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride, and Pirates of the Caribbean, the films. The former is more dated, but it's also stronger atmospherically and more ambiguous in terms of what is actually being depicted and implied. The latter is much more polished and exciting in a traditional sense, but also allows for less interpretation.

Just as a warning, a lot of these opinions take Monkey Island 2 into account heavily, and aren't quite as meaningful purely in the context of Monkey 1 on its own, but I'm guessing LucasArts is going to release that one too, either in special edition form or just as a Steam re-release, so, again, for newcomers, I think it's very much worth playing this game in its original state under the assumption that you will eventually play its incredible sequel.

wise words Remo. the old school graphics have a charm of their own. and the game is funny without voice-overs. it's really well written.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Darklord said:
After playing Tales of Monkey Island, I want more, more, MORE!

Watching the first minute of that walkthrough though makes me wonder why the hell they kept the janky animation. It really sticks out in the HD mode and looks like it just has a bad frame rate.

A case of being too faithful to the original, the kept the original frames intact.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Chris Remo said:

Basically, to me, Monkey 1 and 2 versus Monkey 3+ are like the difference between Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride, and Pirates of the Caribbean, the films. The former is more dated, but it's also stronger atmospherically and more ambiguous in terms of what is actually being depicted and implied. The latter is much more polished and exciting in a traditional sense, but also allows for less interpretation.

As a counter-argument to this, I loved how Guybrush's characterization turned out from CMI on that I've always imprinted that sort ot characterization to the older games when replaying them, so I'd advocate for the opposite.

Differing opinions and all that jazz...

Google

Chris Remo said:

I'd agree with pretty much all of this.

The original Monkey Island (and it's sequel to a lesser extent) have a beautiful feel to them. The locales, for the first half of the game, are extremely dark, yet they always breathe life at every crevice. The art is gorgeous, and I have a strong affinity for the Melee Island map too.

Everything is wrapped in this mysterious shell, and it feels so warm and snug.

It's difficult to describe, especially if you've never played them, but the original Monkey Island feels so much like a piece of classic children's literature that your grandmother used to read to you on cold winter nights.

I miss that feeling in games.

XiaNaphryz said:
As a counter-argument to this, I loved how Guybrush's characterization turned out from CMI on that I've always imprinted that sort ot characterization to the older games when replaying them, so I'd advocate for the opposite.

Differing opinions and all that jazz...
I think it's fine if that's your interpretation, I just think it would be unfortunate to guarantee that would be somebody's interpretation. It's one thing to experience both takes on the series and then have your own opinion about which works better, but it's another to never have had the choice.

LiK

Chris Remo said:
I think it's fine if that's your interpretation, I just think it would be unfortunate to guarantee that would be somebody's interpretation. It's one thing to experience both takes on the series and then have your own opinion about which works better, but it's another to never have had the choice.

just like the original Star Wars Original Trilogy VS the Special Editions (ugh). Han shot first dammit! :p

Darklord

Banned
Shard said:
A case of being too faithful to the original, the kept the original frames intact.

Ugh, I think if you make an HD 1080p remake, make the animation smooth. The classic mode is there for a reason.

Google said:
I'd agree with pretty much all of this.

The original Monkey Island (and it's sequel to a lesser extent) have a beautiful feel to them. The locales, for the first half of the game, are extremely dark, yet they always breathe life at every crevice. The art is gorgeous, and I have a strong affinity for the Melee Island map too.

Everything is wrapped in this mysterious shell, and it feels so warm and snug.

It's difficult to describe, especially if you've never played them, but the original Monkey Island feels so much like a piece of classic children's literature that your grandmother used to read to you on cold winter nights.

I miss that feeling in games.
Yes, absolutely. The opening line of the game, "I want to be a pirate!" is something that's so charmingly naive, and also so oddly ambiguous--where did this guy come from? How did he get on this island? Who the hell is he? It works really well with the graphical style of that era, and the artistic style used by the team's artists.

(And of course, for people who have seen the ending of Monkey Island 2, those questions become all the more relevant.)

I should also note that I came to Monkey Island late, after playing a bunch of the other LucasArts adventures, so I don't think my views are simply informed by nostalgia for the series. I didn't actually play through the originals until the look of MI3 was already known, so I think I'm pretty objective about it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there any reason you'd need a 3ghz cpu to play a nearly 20 year-old game? Or is that a typo?

Jefklak

The only reason I'd buy it is for the voice acting, figures...
I've seen VA in "retro/classic" mode in some video on gametrailers, but people here claim you can't have VA unless you play with the renewed graphics...

We'll see!

dani_dc

Great price, will get the Steam version at launch :D

(Especially if it's not a dollars=euro conversion like the other Lucasart games)

This will be my first time playing the game so I'm still undecided to what style to play the game, tempted to play it in the original style since I'm not a big fan of the redone graphics, but voice acting is tempting.

Think I'll just end up changing around both graphical styles as often as possible :lol

Google

Chris Remo said:
I should also note that I came to Monkey Island late, after playing a bunch of the other LucasArts adventures, so I don't think my views are simply informed by nostalgia for the series. I didn't actually play through the originals until the look of MI3 was already known, so I think I'm pretty objective about it.

I've always found MI3 a difficult pill to swallow.

I understand it arrived a long time after LeChuck's Revenge, but it still doesn't jive with me.

It feels less...open, less optimistic and far too granular.

MI1 & 2 were created for mass consumption, and they work perfectly like that, because they're not so ingrained with the bullshit.

I feel CMI was created purely for fans of MI, and thus, it lacks a huge amount of the Treasure Island vibe created in the original.

it's a common problem with adventure games. once you start putting voice work on them, you kind of NEED a character to come forwards. i'd rather guybrush say the nice thing a little sarcastically, and the sarcastic thing a little more nicely if he's going to be a consistant character... but when he was mute, you could be Guybrush the humble, or Guybrush the braggard. you could be Guybrush the plucky go getter, or Guybrush the mean shortcut taker. you could be all of these things in quick succession and it worked.

when i think of Guybrush, i think earnest, sarcastic, and morally a bit shady. the voice work of Curse and on perfectly capture that.

i mean it's a necessity for an adventure game that the main character be morally grey when you're literally robbing people blind (poor Wally!) at times.

that said, i have no problems if someone plays the special edition first. that is the guybrush we have nowadays, and he's certainly beloved by the people that played Curse first (of which there are many). sure, if someone wants to come at it through the classic game and for some insane reason hasn't already played it that way... then that's admirable to me, but those that can't go back to play the original with it's verbs, and tiny frame (which will be even tinier on a widescreen set) should still play this.

it's going to introduce a classic to people that wouldn't or couldn't play the original in this day and age. i wouldn't recommend someone like that trying to play the original version. far from it.

nny

Ah, another goodie for me; these days have been so good for adventure-starved gamers like myself, it almost seems too good to be true. Concerning this game specifically, I'll most likely play it in its pixelated glory first, it's been a few years since I played it for the last time (more than a few years actually, I'm getting old), and want to experience the old game again. Then, I'll give this HD thingamajig a try. Maybe.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've never played these games before, but TellTale and LucasArts are doing a phenominal job of bringing these games back into the spotlight.

LiK

TheExodu5 said:
I've never played these games before, but TellTale and LucasArts are doing a phenominal job of bringing these games back into the spotlight.

yea, be prepared for witty sarcasm and the occasional insult with a sword!

bridegur

I'm thrilled about the remake, but I'm sorry, I just can't get over what an unbelievable nightmare the Guybrush artwork is. It just seems so obviously terrible, especially considering how great most of the series' art has been. What happened?

LiK

c'mon, where are the usual Monkey Island fans on GAF? i need more people to hype the game with me~ ^.^

painey

this is the first time i've ever been excited for an XBLA release, even though i've already beaten the game numerous times. Im pissed I cant play with the old graphics and new voices because the new art style is fucking hideous, so I will probably play with the old pixel graphics.

Personally I think the art is great, It is such an amazing time right now,Two monkey Island games being released and with more maybe to come.:D

Adventure games standing tall again.

nny

LiK said:
c'mon, where are the usual Monkey Island fans on GAF? i need more people to hype the game with me~ ^.^

EXCIIITEE!

er...wrong game; I mean: *draws sword*

"People fall at my feet when they see me hyping."

DOBERMAN INC said:
It is such an amazing time right now,Two monkey Island games being released and with more maybe to come.:D

Adventure games standing tall again.

Seriously, I've been so fucking giddy with adventuring in the past few days. This genre was one of my first loves in videogaming, and it feels so good to see this revival.

Sqorgar

Banned
Chris Remo said:
I agree with everything you said (especially the Pirates of the Caribbean comparison), but I think that Guybrush in the original games is actually more snarky. He's very mischievous and sometimes comically cruel. He solves complex problems in absurd ways because he is a complex, absurd character. Also, he's much more deadpan. They aren't jokes and he isn't laughing, but it is funny and the player can't stop cracking up.

The Curse Guybrush is more reactive and let's things happen to him. He's also kind of a doofus. Half the time, he is just as surprised as we are when he solves a puzzle by clicking random things in the background. The world is a little less farcical, less fourth wall breaking, and by nature, so is Guybrush.

Sqorgar said:
I agree with everything you said (especially the Pirates of the Caribbean comparison), but I think that Guybrush in the original games is actually more snarky. He's very mischievous and sometimes comically cruel. He solves complex problems in absurd ways because he is a complex, absurd character. Also, he's much more deadpan. They aren't jokes and he isn't laughing, but it is funny and the player can't stop cracking up.

The Curse Guybrush is more reactive and let's things happen to him. He's also kind of a doofus. Half the time, he is just as surprised as we are when he solves a puzzle by clicking random things in the background. The world is a little less farcical, less fourth wall breaking, and by nature, so is Guybrush.
Yes, you're right, that's a better way of putting it. Curse plays it much "straighter" in terms of the fiction; that's what I meant about the original Guybrush being more of a cypher as compared to 3 and up. That Guybrush is also more of a goofy slapstick character.

There is, however, a certain quality to the original Guybrush (at least in Monkey 1, not so much 2) that displays a genuine naivete. In 3+, Guybrush is still naive, but in a more traditionally comical way--he's not naive because that's what his character actually should be given the circumstances, he's naive because that results in goofier gags.

Sqorgar

Banned
Chris Remo said:
There is, however, a certain quality to the original Guybrush (at least in Monkey 1, not so much 2) that displays a genuine naivete. In 3+, Guybrush is still naive, but in a more traditionally comical way--he's not naive because that's what his character actually should be given the circumstances, he's naive because that results in goofier gags.
Yes, I've always found it strange that in LeChuck's Revenge, you have a Guybrush with a beard and a pirate coat, who plays with a certain maturity about the nature of the world he's in, but then in Curse, he's back to the white shirt and trousers (cleanly shaven), and completely stupid about just about everyone and everything he meets. ToMI seems to split the difference with a goatee, but he's just as oddly childlike as he is in Curse.

Sqorgar said:
Yes, I've always found it strange that in LeChuck's Revenge, you have a Guybrush with a beard and a pirate coat, who plays with a certain maturity about the nature of the world he's in, but then in Curse, he's back to the white shirt and trousers (cleanly shaven), and completely stupid about just about everyone and everything he meets. ToMI seems to split the difference with a goatee, but he's just as oddly childlike as he is in Curse.
Yep. I really don't like that direction. It really turned the series into sort of a vaudeville take on humor, which is exactly the opposite of the original games. I know everybody always talks about how Monkey 1 and 2 were, like, the first time they were ever rolling on the floor laughing while playing a video game, and stuff like that, but I personally think that's either historical revisionism or intensely rose-colored glasses. I'm sure I chuckled here and there while playing those games (and there were a few hilarious lines), but they absolutely didn't make me laugh out loud regularly. They were more just consistently amusing, with frequent puns.

Maybe the intent was to make them super funny, I don't know, but it's not how they turned out to me, and that's not at all a criticism. They have some of the most unique atmosphere and tone in games.

From Curse onward, they really decided to go with "goofy dumb Guybrush and his hilarious gags." I really think Curse of Monkey Island is a great adventure game, but it's absolutely in a very different vein to the original two games. It's basically a different take on a comedic pirate adventure game, rather than actually being a followup to Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

Top Bottom